Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Maybe a silly question, but how does crokinole compare to something like a full fledged Table shuffleboard? I've played a lot of that prior to Covid as a bar I frequented has a solid table, but obviously with the world as it is today I haven't been in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have any good board game bookcases to recommend? I know Kallax is well regarded but I don't have a way to get them back from Ikea (they're apparently not even in stock at my local one) and delivery to my zip code isn't available. I'd love something similar though, but don't want something super rickety that just looks the same.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements › Vitamins › Multivitamins › The Quacks of Quedlinburg

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Interesting article on BSG, Unfathomable, and theme vs setting in board games.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Put a bunch of stuff on the new Geekmarket with *free shipping*. Most of these include expansions:

Galaxy Trucker includes Big Expansion, Another Big Expansion, Latest Models, and Missions.

If you're not on that market and want any of these for a similar price (flat rate shipping will be ~9-15 so still a good deal in most cases) just post here or PM me. I'll probably throw in a small box game too if you buy here.

https://market.boardgamegeek.com/u/defeldus

How's import/export? I'm not on the geek market yet but I'd also be interested in Fire In The Lake if it's still available.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone played For-Ex? I saw it on bga now and it looks really interesting, but one of the guys who I play games with said you have to read the rules and then think about it for a while before you're even ready to go. I'm gonna try it anyways, but was curious for any good thoughts.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Shes Not Impressed posted:

After reading that I now want to play For-Ex.

Well for you and anyone else I'm trying to start a game on BGA. It doesn't look like there are any competing games, but if you're interested you can join and check it out if we get enough people!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

I'm jealous. I've converted exactly one ex-MTG player (who is buying back into MTG now :( ) and failed to convert another so far.

Man if I had people local who played this seems right up my alley. MTG is so easy to get back into though given the support it gets. I don't even play paper any more, is there a digital NISEI implementation?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's the best approach for teaching a game like John Company second edition to a group? One I know is decently familiar with the first edition. I know the rules and will make sure to have them down even better before the season, but I worry that it'll take most of the time just teaching the rules and then play will feel rushed. I always don't know howto approach this so any good tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was just talking about this as well, but the solo mode for John Company 2nd is quite fun. I've run through a few sessions virtually and it's been quite nice.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm putting together a TTS session of John Company next Saturday 5/14 at 9am pacific time, 12pm Eastern. We've 3-4 people already so if you're interested to join pm me your email as I'd long to get to 5-6!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

I don't think there's a single Werhle game that isn't a PITA to teach. Try explaining how Pax Pamir works to someone with even an above average experience in the hobby and get back to me. Oath is absurd. Root is multiplayer solitaire until you get a half dozen games under you belt and even then congrats, you've learned maybe how to play one faction properly.

WRONG. I shove 18xx down everyone's throats hell or high water. I will make them see the way.

Having not done it a few times online I don't think John Company.is that bad. There's definitely don't edge cases but you can pretty much go down the ribbon and have it start making sense. Prove some commentary on why and it's not too hard.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

John Company I found to be surprisingly straight forward except for the events phase right at the end. You can/should also watch him teaching it fully, and then just teach as you play. I believe he says he does round 1 to teach and then either restarts or has the game actually begin in round 2.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Spikes32 posted:

Are there any good two player games not listed in the op?

Twilight Struggle.

Also been really enjoying Memoir '44 recently.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I play Can't Stop with my dad who has somewhere similar constraints. Also cribbage which works very well.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking to fill a missing "slot" in my collection. Most of my games tend to either be party games, very short fillers or on the complete other end, like massive 4x's and other games that are hard to learn and take a minimum of two hours to play. A gateway+ kind of game is what I'm missing.

So what I'm ideally looking for is a game that supports 2-4 players, not co-op or hidden movement, plays comfortably under two hours, is easy to teach yet interesting enough for more experienced players, has an okay theme and has a lot of player interaction. Bonus points if we have a shared space/board we all interact with or affect in some way. This might be a big ask.

I've tried to fill this spot with several promising games, but none have quite hit the mark for either me or other players.

Check out Southern Rails! It's 3-5, plays maybe an hour, I think there are a lot of interesting game states both as you're learning and then as you're into it. Rules are fairly straight forward, and you're almost always doing something that directly impacts the other players at the table. Comedy option is South African Rails if you can find a copy.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 19, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

If anyone's curious, apparrently only seven other games have ever been ranked #1. Most of them are notable classics and mega hits. Also, Paths of Glory is on there which I don't think I'd ever heard of.

It's one of my favorite games, and probably in my top 5 of plays. It's really well balanced, lots of decisions and overall a great example of card driven game play. I think it is worth checking out if you can find someone else to play with you.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

SettingSun posted:

Ark nova's rulebook does suck. In fact, I think I can count the number of games I think have a great rulebook on one hand. So many confusing layouts and rules in weird places. A lot of them are afraid of redundancy which I think would solve a bunch of issues.

Maybe reveals me as a turbonerd or whatever, but I love the way a lot of GMT games handle the rules. They are generally laid out thoughtfully, I love the headers and subsections etc. which make referencing them really easy. They're also often laid out in terms of play order which helps for flow.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Stealing this phrase.

Got to play 1882 5P in the middle of the week, none who had played this one before (except me) and one who had never played any 18XX before but took to it like a duck to water. My God is starting capital tight. I had a great time but learned something about these games and maybe this dumb hobby in general but that when you've played a million of these games before and play them with new people the (pretension aside) "higher level strategy" you use against people of similar or equal experience go out the goddamn window.

You start to sort of appreciate Clearclaw's admittedly rear end in a top hat opinion of not playing with newbies (not that I'm anywhere near that level) and what I mean is that if you're in a position where you're technically making the most money or have an incentive to keep the game state static indefinitely, it's a winning strategy but not remotely fun and no one will respond to it until hours later and by then who gives a poo poo. So for example, if I'm sitting there with better share density and running my trains happily why would I purposefully advance the timer at my own disadvantage if you're playing strategically? It's on the other players to start rusting those trains. But if they don't get it or don't want to, the game becomes a slog. So now it's on you to be the hero and blow up your own game just to keep things going or at least be a Nice Guy and tell your opponent, hey you should sell down my company and destroy my stock price to start another company to rust my trains and speed the game up.

The other thing was that no one was strategic in the auction and just let people take things for face+5 and I got stuck in a bidding war on the ONE private that under no circumstances can go for face. There's only so much one person can do in these types of games.

Yes, it's fun and chaotic, no this isn't tournament trains by any stretch but kind of rubs you the wrong way, especially when you have to kind of suck it up a bit after when people start doing touchdown celebrations when you sabotaged your own game for the sake of the table.

I hear where you're coming from on this. I've tried a few different approaches which have helped. A big one is starting the game with a rules explanation, but also sign posts about strategy. Not you can't let x or y private go for face, but more there are a few land mines to watch out for, specifically we as a table should make sure trains get bought, and that share price doesn't get too high unnecessarily, etc etc. That was you can refer back to it throughout the game or at least ask folks about it.

The other approach to redefine victory. That the goal of this first game or set of games isn't to have the most cash/value at the end, but winning means everyone begins to see the strategic space and wants to play again. YMMV on this, but if it's people that you play a bunch with, I'd rather point out that they can trash my position so I can play 10 more 18xx games that are better in the future, than end the game with the high value but never get another 18xx to the table. Your incentive maybe shifts to the metagame!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Agree with all of this. I usually try to signpost certain things but do you keep repeating them as they potentially occur?

In the past I've mainly focused on natural breaks, so when it's SR3 I'll say ok, we've done a few ORs/SRs now, do you see what I mean about X or Y? Or as we come out of a stock round mention that people might want to think about train buying this round given etc. Not each action, but pointing out the shape of things every 45 minutes/hour or so. That way I'm also not like playing for people, but talking about the game space in general.

FulsomFrank posted:

And I will gladly explode myself on a grenade in a game if that gets another ten to the table, total agreement. Zero issues. All I'm saying is it takes a bit of pride swallowing to let yourself become a bit of a pincushion to get there especially when your opponents act like they're the second coming of Cornelius Vanderbilt.

Yeah that's a bit frustrating haha.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Trestle Table isn't nearly as good as the 1830 equivalent

I figured they meant the Skatch

Carillon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 13, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My favorite expansion was the Storm of Swords for the first/best Game of Thrones board game. Specifically letting you march on non-march orders really made things more thoughtful, but allowed you to pull off some pretty spectacular plays. I don't really hear it talked about much any more, and when it is it's usually the second edition. It was the game that got me into the hobby though way back when, and I think it really made the base game better.

Kerro posted:

Played Twilight Inscription for the first time last night and it was pretty fun but breakdown takes like ten minutes and it's almost entirely rubbing.

I know we just changed the title but:
Discussion > Traditional Games > Board Games 5E: it's almost entirely rubbing

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looks like I'm going to be playing the EU board game tomorrow, any tips or things to look out for on the first play? Thankfully it should be a first play for everyone, though it means there's no one to be the expert.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So trip report on EU: The Price of Power. We basically got through one age starting at 9 and going until about 4. Things did pick up after 12 or so once through one we had a better, though still not super fast. There a lot going on, and a lot of actions have three or four different knock on effects that require you to read through the rules and sometimes make judgement calls on it. It also felt like some powers were off. In a corner, able to expand without much in the way of the other players being about to do much,mainly Spain. Where as France had to fight other player powers pretty quickly to hit their mission goals. Lastly the cards really affected what you get to do. Our England player saw 6-7 subjugate cards despite having no allies, whereas I was the Austrians saw none even through I had a number of alliances and influence ready to go. Bring stuck with an expensive and useless hand feels bad when the other players are upgrading their small cities or researching tech for cheap. I don't know how you really distill the EU video games back into a board game, this felt like it tries, but includes too much complexity and the cards really limit your actions if you don't get what you need.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Captain Theron posted:

I mean, this part seems to just reflect actual history.

Well right, but the game is not meant to be a simulation or just an experience generator, but actually something that works as a competitive game.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Can the train enthusiasts weigh in with their thoughts on 1870 and whether there's a point of adding it to my already groaning shelf of other 18xx's? I'm seeing it mentioned fairly frequently but most of these conversations are from years ago so tough to gauge if it's one of those titles that have been supplanted by one or two of the other hundred.

It's pretty good, and I think does different stuff than other 18xx. I don't love it, but the podcast the Choo Choo Crew really does enjoy it, so if you're curious you should check out their thoughts on it because they do go pretty indepth.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I do love Obsession! I also found it on bga and gave been playing a bunch of games with the same three people. Let me know how it plays on the table, I can see it being fun in front of you, but curious how much faff there is without the al computer doing it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I finally got to play Brass: Birmingham at the table having played a fair bit of OG Brass, and I have to ask, does anyone else hate the new board like I do? It's so cluttered and there's a lot of drawings there that make it overwhelming to my eye to even even see links. I can do it, but man I thought the OG board was so much clearer. I understand 'making the game look good', but why is that at the expense of clarity?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do think Brass Classique deserves it reputation for ugliness, and don't find all of the art over Nouveux Brass distracting.

I didn't realize it was considered ugly tbf, but I always liked that it was clear and didn't require squinting. I think that's my issue with the reprints, is that the background is busy enough I have to essentially look past the pretty art to find the game. It's not so bad, but to me at least, was pretty distracting.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

uncle blog posted:

I asked a similar question back in March. Ended up buying SW Rebellion and The King is Dead. Both decent games, but not the slam dunk success I was hoping for. So I'll try my chances asking again:
I'm looking for a new game to play with the GF. I want it too be fairly meaty lasting somewhere between an hour or two-ish, ideally not more than 3 hours. I'm probably looking for something could be considered more or less a war game. Combating over areas on a shared map and such. These are some alternatives I've explored:

- We tried Star Wars Rebellion, but found it a bit long and too abstract with the heavy focus on space combat and moving between planets.
- I looked at 878 Vikings, but seems to be out of print for the moment. Found 1812 The Invasion of Canada at a store, but - and this might sound silly - wooden cubes instead of miniatures might be enough of a turn off for me.
- I already have Undaunted, but somehow that hasn't really clicked either (might be the lack of figures again lol).
- I've heard Inis is good with 2, but I've played that one to death.
- Looked at War of the Ring, but seems very long and fiddly, not to mention having horrible UX. But the game be worth the hassle? Many seems to be raving about it.
- Looked briefly at Memoir 44, but I have this preconception that the design might be dated (cus it's an old rear end game at this point), and might not be all that deep? Happy to be told otherwise!
- I have Root and love it, but even with Hirelings I don't think it shines at only 2 players.
-Apparently Civilization A New Dawn is okay at 2 with the expansion, but there doesn't seem to that much conflict/interaction as one is generally encouraged to race towards objectives and explore away from the other player.
- Have The King is Dead, which is a pretty cool game, but too abstract and short for what I'm looking for right now.
- A bunch of people seem to love Polis, but that might be too deterministic and too much of brain-burner for us. Would love to hear some impressions!
- Hands in the Sea looks like a good fit, but unfortunately impossible to get hold of.
- Shores of Tripoli seems fine? Might be a bit light, and seems a bit hard to get my hands on.
- Pax Pamir: Have seen people mentioning this being good at 2, but the verdict on BGG seems to suggest otherwise, not that that is the gospel of such things. Out of stock locally anyways.
- Dwellings of Eldervale: This looks like a parody of Kickstarter mishmash, but is apparently good? And might have enough combat/interaction for our tastes. Anybody tried this?
- Ankh seems to be a pretty polarising game, but another one that people claim are good at 2 players? Fits the thematic requirements pretty well.
- Tigris & Euphrates / Yellow & Yangtze: Seems like solid games, but both unavailable at the moment where I am.

tl:dr; Is there a decent medium/heavy war-ish game that's great at 2 players (could support more, or not) that lasts 2 hours or less (and has ok theme/table presence preferably with some sort of figures I can move around the map)?

edit:
Wouldn't mind there being some euro or engine building component in the game, as long as it's thematic and has some elements of area control and a lot of interaction

Napoleon's Triumph is 3 hours, so maybe pushing it, but is one of the best 2-player war games.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Depends on the size of the space, but I find petanque easier to play then bocce on a smaller court.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Got my first live play of Heat: Pedal to the Metal on bga yesterday. What a fun game, I loved how it played and how people were able to get into it. I wish it wasn't pretty much sold out everywhere so I could actually get a physical copy.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just played Apiary this weekend and I really don't know what to think about it. The game itself is pretty to look at, but I feel almost like the design is the main attraction? The game itself is fine, but like overly convoluted in places, and isn't very dialed in to me on first play. I sorta like the concept of getting your workers bumped, but it feels like the game was built around the idea that actually blocking people in a worker placement and having to decide when you take all your workers back feels bad, so you almost never have to do it. Then there's so many tiles you can build, it is hard to see what others are doing, so you really only care about bumping them if they're a level 4 because that is what the clock is based off of. There are so many tiles, and so much stuff, I wish it was like half size, here are the core buildings or mechanisms you care about, because of how random it is some cards felt so powerful, and some were basically just there. Maybe it would work better with a built deck, so you can scale up the power of the buildings over time?

There was a lot to like though, I thought the worker evolution then retirement system was interesting, having a little area control for vps was cool too. I liked the idea of custom resource conversion in theory more than practice, but it's a fun idea. The limited resource holding was nice too, I wish there was more to explore there.

Just overall I'm not sure who this is for. It has a great look, and is very large, even at 3 people it took over the table. But then there's so much going on and it is very complicated, but feels very loose. Like if you're going to make a big game that takes a while, I'd appreciate a sharper design space where you're interacting with folks. This was a bit off for me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

sounds like another Stonemaier

At this point in my life I really try not to get on people for liking stuff that I don't like, but I'm certainly mystified by the love these games get. There are games out there with great production values that don't have these rules or game play issues. And the person leading the event said they love Stonemaier and it's their favorite publisher. It certainly takes all kinds, and I guess it's good practice for realizing that folks get very different sources of enjoyment out of games. While they might not be for me, I remind myself that that is ok.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

There’s too much rules overhead considering how little strategy there is.

Honestly that's such a good point, but I think is why some of why folks like it? The complexity of the rules overhead helps coverup the light strategy, so you feel like there's a lot going on even if it's not as complex in terms of choice.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I Love You! posted:

All the SidCon trip reports are killing me, I own the base game and expansion and have absolutely no one to play the game with. It's my dream game and it just sits there gathering dust :(((

(Keep posting the trip reports i live vicariously through you all)

Hopefully you can fix this soon :)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

Controversial opinion: I'd mix some Cosmic Encounter in there if your group has the right mindset (not too serious; can appreciate landing a good screwjob on someone more than winning the game; etc.). It's good at 5 (and needs 5 with the base set to be good), playable at 2 hours per round or so, and is commercially available last I checked. Note that it's not a great boardgame in the classical sense, but it's an excellent experience generator. A nice break from the succession of dry Euros.

Mix some of that in with Concordia and Sidereal Confluence, maybe Orleáns, and you've got yourself a stew going.

I would make sure folks have a sense for the game before starting. I really hate Cosmic, but my first playthroughs the description seemed like something I'd like. It's can be very gamer specific so even if people are excited for the first game, make sure they're still enjoying it after that play.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Absolutely, and you did a good job of talking about what type of group is needed! I just remember reading about CE and being excited for it only to have it fall flat more me. So it's good to have checkins, but if the group loves it I can see that being a nice palate cleanser.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Panzeh posted:

I prefer VASSAL because it doesn't really add anything to have an actual 3d interface on this stuff.

See also Cyberboard as well.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

golden bubble posted:

Yeah, obsession definitely suffers there because so much of that game is about maintaining tempo, and the VPs just kinda flow in from all sources so it's hard to understand why you lost until you get good at the game. I like obsession because the tempo puzzle is really meaty and it has a lot of theme. Sometimes too much theme, as I wish there was a way to predict if the new friend (guest) is an American or a proper Brit.

It definitely takes a minute on BGA to understand what's going on with Obsession. It took me a few games, but now with a lot under my belt it feels really great when you're able to hit the tempo just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

COIN-lite!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/334363/vijayanagara-deccan-empires-medieval-india-1290-13

Irregular Conflict Series is a hilarious genre but I'm here for it.

I just got my copy this week! Very excited to try it out.