Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I actually spent all day today installing some new shelving so that I can get my board games all sorted!

I've got a tall stack of board games just kinda, sitting on the ground because I have nowhere to put them, so this was long overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eraflure posted:

They're technically compatible, but I wouldn't play Finder/Downpour without JE. They both use Isolation and Finder in particular wants the new generic powers JE provides.

You get everything you mentioned + a new adversary, Scotland.

Honestly I think they both work fine without Jagged Earth. Yes, Finder works well with isolate cards, but ultimately he's a powerful spirit that works well with base game cards. Finder just wants cards that move invaders, and Downpour wants strong low cost cards he can repeat (preferably with water). Both can be found in abundance in the base game power decks.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm sure this game is good but the art is extremely uncanny valley to me

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If anyone's sincerely looks for a digital card game I'd probably recommend Eternal. It's fairly magic adjacent and I don't think the developers (Dire Wolf Digital) have done anything ethically horrible yet.

For that matter, they also did a physical board game version of Eternal. It's a pretty solid deckbuilder.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Is Too Many Bones good? I demo-ed it at Gencon, but I felt like it was way too fiddly with too many reference sheets for not enough depth.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Alright, that's fair, I get that. I recently bought Ark Nova (at GenCon as you might expect) and I felt like there was a similar problem, where the game itself is intuitive enough but the rulebook was extremely wordy and very dry.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

The absolute worst thing about flamecraft is that I got this

which is fine but came bundled with this cursed thing

Honestly this art is...really cute. Half thinking about getting the game just based on that

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Character choice can honestly make a big difference for how much someone likes the game too. Depends on personality of course, but I feel like most people would enjoy it more if their first character was Lily Chen (who is practically designed to run around the globe and get into adventures) as opposed to Charlie Kane (who mostly sits in one spot and buys items for everyone else).

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 21, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Megasabin posted:

How did Millennium Blades Collusion turnout?

I own the original, played it 2-3 times, thought it was cute but not amazing. Ended up grabbing Collusion because I heard it actually rewrote the rules to make the game more balanced and strategic, but then COVID happened, gaming stopped, and I never opened it.

I was on the fence about selling MB + Collusion these past few years, but now there's an opportunity to try it again as I have a new group meeting with consistency.

I'm wondering how people who have played Collusion felt it turned out? Are the new rules substantially better than the original edition? Does the game feel any more strategic or interesting with the money changes? If I thought the original was a fun experience, but nothing amazing, were the changes substantial enough to change my mind?

I guess it depends on what you didn't like about Millennium Blades to begin with. The core format is basically unchanged, but adding NPC cards means you can no longer just sit on your money to win, and splitting the market deck into two decks (one for Core and one for Expansions) goes a long way towards making the store less frustrating.

Other than that, well, it's more Millennium Blades. There's an incredible amount of variety in there with all the additional expansions and characters. Overall I love it (but also, I loved the base game).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think the general consensus for Jagged Earth is that Shroud of Silent Mist is underpowered. His need to keep invaders alive but damaged is just too much of a "high risk low reward" mechanic.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Admiralty Flag posted:

I was in the swamps of Reddit earlier, saw this news, and read some reference to people review bombing Frosthaven (and thus potentially Gloomhaven) because it's woke?

I've played like five scenarios of JotL and that's been it for me in the *Haven world, so I have no idea as to the truth of the claim.

I was underimpressed with JotL, at least the little I played, so I'm extending that to GH, and I am happy to see one of my favorite games take the top spot...which it has lost already, as of about half an hour ago when I looked at BGG rankings. Figures, it would come into the spotlight when it was out of print. Maybe this'll spur Roxley into a quick print run.

At the very least I know people were getting salty at this kickstarter post pre-release. Which is, imo, wild when he's basically just saying "I'm gonna do my best to make my game not racist".

I haven't played Frosthaven itself and it's probably similar levels of people getting bent out of shape for silly reasons.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mostly I like events because base game enemy phase just gets too samey once you've played for a bit. The events keep you a little off balance and incentivize a less rigid gameplan, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

panko posted:

millennium blades was ridiculous. the theme of the game is that we are players of the in-universe tcg millennium blades, and we’re attempting to build decks and collect sets of cards to perform well at tournaments and to show off. the game feels janky as gently caress, some card combos were broken as hell, the game thinks it’s way funnier than it actually is (a cloud strife pastiche named blizzard angst…) and it took way too long, but I kind of really liked it. I have very similar feelings about argent, the level99 worker placement title. the real-time deckbuilding phase is 95% of the appeal of the game, wheeling and dealing with other players, spending the silly stacks of money to crack packs, keeping an eye on the secondary market, and trying to draft a set to display as well as a functional deck. the actual tournaments took too long and felt kind of rote. I wished this phase of the game was somehow more automated a la autochess. would play again, but maybe only as a once-a-year. I won primarily by exploiting the meta-destroying effect of the aptly-coined bro’kin the overpowered, a card I had from the very beginning of the game.

For what it's worth I never got the sense that Millennium Blades actually thinks its funny, I think its aware of exactly how stupid the premise is and is just leaning into it as hard as possible. At any rate I find it endlessly charming.

Also, frankly, I think its just one of my favorite games. I've never really played a game that has that same cycle of quickly building an OP deck out of disparate parts, then scrambling to build a counter deck in response to your friends overpowered bullshit. It's like if Galaxy Trucker was a CCG. And with Level 99's tendency to absolutely stuff a game full of content, you'll basically never have the same game twice.