Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought a single episode of final girl season 2, having never played final girl before, and I'm looking at the instructions and it is too confusing for me and I haven't played it once because of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ3IiUF4txE Is a pretty good setup/how to play video for Final Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

The CEO of FryxGames using an overtly racist dog whistle* in his interview defending the use of AI art for TfM led me on a quick tour of their employees facebook feeds to find a whole bunch of white supremacist bullshit from all of them, including and especially the artist, ceo, and designer (3 brothers, from what I can tell). Not the most surprising thing from a western European family with 16 loving kids, but uh, might wanna add that to the list of why TfM is hot garbage.

Don't suppose you have receipts?

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

panko posted:

vp auction is a lazy fix, a good game designer would go the extra mile to issue a decree of adjustment, just like jamey stonemaier

+15 victory points per opponent, it even scales! that’s balance.

Oh drat, was just thinking about getting Tapestry back on the table. Didn't know the balance among regulars was that bad!

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

SettingSun posted:

I only teach chess my obviously blundering my queen and both rooks one after the other, dramatically throwing my hands in the air shouting 'you tactical genius!'

I was taught San Jaun and the first game the teacher milled the deck looking for specific cards and combos. Was it a fair game? No, not in the slightest. Did I still have fun, yes.

If I teach a game, the above secnario is where I'll draw a hard line.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
About to get a game of Star Trek Ascendancy on the table, with 3 people. Any suggestions to minimize downtime, or any things to watch out for?

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

The Eyes Have It posted:

If someone's playing the Vulcans then they will probably win by surprise with new players since no one knows their hidden victory condition, and no one will know what their hidden victory conditions are "like" in general, and they're all focusing on their own poo poo because they're new.

Vulcans will have two agenda cards, one face-up and one face-down. They win if they achieve either (if I'm remembering right.)
I'd kind of recommend showing the new players a small sampling of what the agenda cards are "like" so they aren't completely in the dark about what can happen / what sorts of things the Vulcan player might be going for.

We only managed to get through 1/2 of the game (Only had time for 3 hours) but I like-ish Star Trek Ascendancy. The tips really helped as everyone is either new or returning after having played the game a few years ago.

The thing I am going to takeaway from Ascendancy is the cool Map system. It's entertaining to watch as people figure out how to block lanes, or block planets to protect themselves and form chokepoints.
My only complaint would be the game length. Even though we are new, I think if we were experienced you would still have some downtime after your turn is done.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Carillon posted:

At this point in my life I really try not to get on people for liking stuff that I don't like, but I'm certainly mystified by the love these games get. There are games out there with great production values that don't have these rules or game play issues. And the person leading the event said they love Stonemaier and it's their favorite publisher. It certainly takes all kinds, and I guess it's good practice for realizing that folks get very different sources of enjoyment out of games. While they might not be for me, I remind myself that that is ok.

Oh man, Stonemaier is awesome. Most of their games I find you can explain in one or two games, and there is enough depth they don't get boring after 3-5 plays. Scythe, Terraforming Mars, Wingspan has enough moving parts to keep me interested, and want to play again. I've even played Tapestry, and apart from the iconography, same rules apply above. Charterstone is fun as well, but that's more because of all the unlocking components you get.

I'm not saying they are the greatest, best games, but I would go out of my way to play them.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can you play TI4 solo? Is there a better TI related game that you can solo play

Twilight Imperium 4th edition? There is a roll and write called Twilight Inscryption

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

RabidWeasel posted:

Terraforming Mars: Did you know that it's possible to make a 4 player game of this take nearly 7 hours? I mercifully only spectated this one instead of playing, but I felt that this was worth mentioning anyway. A great example of why this is now on my Do Not Play list. Also, someone got over 100 megacredit production and still didn't win while having more cards on the table than 2 of the other players combined (one of whom was the overall winner)

How did it manage to take 7 hours? I've played with newbies, and our game takes 2.5 hours max with 4 players.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Terraforming Mars is a great game. I haven't had a 7 hour game, which sounds horrendous. We play it semi-reguarily, without expansions. Only a few people that play with us are hardcore, with the rest of us not having memorized the deck. It was a pretty cool moment when a dude manage to steal banker from me by utilizing that card that turns heat production into money production.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

uncle blog posted:

What's a fun game for 5 players that can comfortably be played at a pub while also being a bit meatier than something like High Society or Love Letter?

Have you looked at any of the Tiny Epic games?

Skull is a good game but it might not be meatier than Love Letter.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

million dollar mack posted:

Played Scythe for the first time in ages last night and came third, behind the two combinations of boards that have been banned - obviously we didn’t realise until after, when those two had both run away with the game.

Such a waste of good production on a boring, low interaction Euro. I like everything about this game except for it being nearly solitaire.

Oh and the factions and boards being completely unbalanced :rolleyes:

I love Scythe too and agree with you about the solitaire part, and the factions/boards.

Once you have people that have a few games under their belt, combat becomes more of a threat.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

CitizenKeen posted:

I own both and my desire to play either has plummeted to zero after playing Arcs. Will be selling both this year as they'll never leave the shelf again.

Oh drat what is Arcs? Me and my buds play both Eclipse and TI. Eclipse is considered the euro, while TI is considered theatre.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Tekopo posted:

Board gaming is extremely popular but the subset of nerds that play board games and obsessively post about it in dead internet communities is far smaller.

I'll add onto this that when I shared my enthusiasm for Terra Forming Mars, the general reaction made me lurk, rather than share my other experiences with board games.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
I have had teaching games where people want to resign mid-game. Usually its either the game is too much, or their AP is getting in the way of their enjoyment.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Over the weekend my group played Yedo and I have to say it was quite enjoyable. It was more interactive than Lords Of Waterdeep, with the bidding phase, and the watchmen/action cards.

I think I'll replace lord of waterdeep with Yedo in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Just played World Of Warcraft: The Adventure Game (2005), with the expansions.

The good,:
The combination of leveling up, feeling more powerful, is done really well. It's neat at the start you are afraid of lvl 2 enemies, but mid-point, you can destroy them.
There were enough options between getting new powers, items, and facing enemies, that the game felt interesting, and we were invested enough the time went by quick.

The Bad:
I wish the guy who owned it focused more on teaching, and helping us out. The game isn't complicated, but falls into the Sentinels Of The Multiverse issue of too many modifiers to keep track of.
The game is more "Arkham Horror" levels of randomness, that I think balancing it wouldn't work.

The Ugly:
The game took 5 hours
We did simultaneous turns. Trying to do your turn with your team while others are talking, while figuring out the modifiers was too much.

All in All it was neat to experience the game, and I do like its combat system, and how it interacts with the powers players get. But a 5 hour game is too much, and I think I will never, ever do simultaneous turns ever again.