Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Excellent work OP!

Just a few thoughts for any new folks reading through - I would add Cascadia (1-4p) and Botanik (2p) to the list for lighter fare - two tile laying games that I'm virtually always willing to play.

Beyond that, Flamme Rouge is marked as a 6p game but needs the Peloton expansion to play with 6 - the base game is 3-4p. PARKS is listed under 2p, but I think 2p might be the least interesting way to play it. I still often do play it at 2p, but it's 2-5p with a nice sweet spot at 3p.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
nothing but good experiences with TabletopMerchant as well. Shipping is a bit of a pain - $150 for free shipping, or $12 flat rate - but their prices are solid, they package games the best I've ever seen, and they even include a handwritten note thanking you and commenting on a game or two from your purchase.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I think someone mentioned this towards the end of the last thread, but So Clover is stupid fun. The concept sounded very dumb to me, but I was hooked after a single round. 70% Codenames, 30% jigsaw puzzle. Works at 3, but 4-6 is a nice sweet spot. One of those party games that has scoring, but no one really cares about. MSRP is $25 too, so not a big ask to give it a go.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 31, 2021

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Their discord is a trash fire full of bigotry that is never banned by the same mods that banned the op for stating their identity. They are still a mod too. I think that says a lot.

Apparently they recently made their subreddit mod a Discord mod, and that person has been kicking rear end and taking names on the Discord (in a good way) for the last 24 hours. I also believe the mod responsible for the gross ban explanation has been removed as a mod, though that could simply be temporary since it seems to have been done silently.

It sounds like Berserk is appropriately working towards a solution based on that 2nd release, so I'm willing to see where they take it - but they've likely got another issue to address directly now that bigots are actively buying/positively reviewing TTS to show support - content warning: https://imgur.com/a/8HWaOzr. So whatever solution they come up with likely needs to include "and if you're a bigoted piece of poo poo that bought our game to spew hateful poo poo, gently caress off, we deleted your review, and we're donating all sales from this weekend to <insert LGBT charity here>."

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

All bar one of those people has too much time in the software to have only just bought it, so donating their sales to LGBT charities won't help. That gallery also omits the review I reported which came from an open Nazi calling for more bigotry - hopefully because he just had his Steam account deleted.

As you mentioned, that gallery just scrapes the surface of the reviews. There are a significant amount of gross positive reviews with a small number (or no) hours played.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Gejimayu posted:

I want to get a couple worker placement games as I like the idea but haven't really clicked with one yet. I had and sold Agricola (found it to be lacking in fun choices), and I have Sons of Anarchy which I enjoy a bit. We mostly play deck building games or roll for the galaxy (WP adjacent i suppose?) for our medium weight euro fix. We play at 2 usually. I was thinking I'd try Viticulture as a strictly worker placement game and wanted to pick up one of the newer hybrid ones like everdell or arnak. Any recommendations? I prefer games with a bit more interaction usually. Concordia sounded interesting but doesn't seem great at 2?

I bounce off of worker placement games like I was made of placement-specific-rubber, but me and the SO love basegame Everdell. I can only imagine it's because it's 80% a tableau builder with some worker placement elements, rather than full-on worker placement. Gonna be following the other suggestions made to you, but figured Everdell could use a shout.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I got the impression there was a ton of hype mounting behind Ark Nova even before Tom Vasel gave it a 10/10, much less now that it's his #1 game overall. The game doesn't do much for me, but I'd put money on this game absolutely flying off shelves for most of the year.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

CitizenKeen posted:

(2) What have I missed out on since Covid started? What game has released since March 2020 that I should go spend money on?

I finally played Beyond the Sun this weekend and after a couple plays it's quite likely on my buy list. I have not played Caper: Europe, but folks I trust have been singing high praises, so that's almost certainly going to happen too.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Aeon's End has a decent app version that's frequently on sale if you want to give it a shot.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Quacks of Quidellenberg

We absolutely beefed it on some rules (Potions exploded on an 8 and higher, not 7 and higher)

That's correct - you're still safe at 7. In your pic you can see the iconography for white chips total > 7 = explode

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

The Geekup sets are nice, I have them and the fancy bags with the player colors that have a round bottom so you don't get chip edge cramming.

I still need the fancy bags, but I went a pretty hardcore route for bit upgrades - https://www.etsy.com/listing/680729994/baseexpansion-quacks-of-quedlinburg-game?click_key=d505b1104fde6473863c7841143e883288788f44 - 3D printed holders that you have to glue your bits into. They are big and chonky and feel great to pull out of the bag, and there's a great added bit of drama in that the values only show on one face, so when you're sitting at 6 and afraid of busting and you pull a white chip out, backside up, you have another dramatic moment of flipping it over to see if it's a 1, or if you've gone bust. They're so big that they would make any insert/trays a virtual impossibility, and as a result they definitely jack up the amount of table space needed, so there's a pretty huge trade-off for them, but I can still fit the base game, the chonky bits, and both expansions into the base game box.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

We have made Mayveena an IK for this thread. Thanks for being willing to take on this lovely volunteer job, Mayveena!

I would like to know what silly-rear end rule in the rulebook decided that Mayveena gets to be first player.

totally kidding, a very good pick - but maybe she did eat garlic last or go to Portugal last, idk

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

but when TableTop Simulator is like "hey, there was a problem with a mod yesterday and we fixed it", this thread is like "yeah, well gently caress them anyway for doing that thing once".

Not getting involved in the rest of this, but TabletopSim didn't fix poo poo - they threw some money at a good cause and then shut the gently caress up to let things blow over.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

I actually haven't followed anything since they made a company clarification LGBT support and booted the mod. What's transpired since then?

Nothing substantial since then, but you're making it sound like they took swift action and booted the mod - what happened was more like

- initial claims made
- Berserk defends mod
- more receipts shown
- Berserk defends mod again
- Backlash starts to take hold
- Berserk says we're working on this
- Mod steps down, not booted
- Nazi crew shows up on Steam buying the game, leaving hate speech in positive reviews, and stirring poo poo on the TTS discord
- Berserk announces donation and a LGBT+ community spotlight
- Yet another mod does something stupid and says "mods deserve that money, not the charity" and gets booted
- Berserk shuts the gently caress up and does nothing else

Even with no pre-game public chat lobby, the public parts (in-game chat and their official Discord) are significantly more toxic now than before, which is saying something considering how bad it was before, all because Berserk sat on their thumbs while poo poo people multiplied and decent ones bailed.

edit: I'll be clear, I'm not saying don't buy/play TTS - my stance is gently caress Berserk, buy any keys from black market sites so Berserk ain't getting paid, and don't watch any streams/streamers that use TTS.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 26, 2022

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

jarofpiss posted:

should probably add letters from whitechapel and anything slaanesh related while we're at it?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

The Berserk thing is just such an insane own-goal because there was literally no reason for that to have a global chat in the first place.

Come on, this seems a bit absurd. I don't even watch board game streams but TTS is an amazingly powerful tool for e.g. prototyping new stuff, and I'd assume a LOT of people who are invested enough in the hobby to stream bought it looooong before any of these allegations came out.
For prototyping, it's a godsend, and again, I fault no one for wanting to play TTS whether they owned it before this incident happened or not. But streaming TTS is a form of promotion, and it's promotion I'm not willing to participate in. I generally disliked TTS streams prior to all this going down anyway, so it was quite easy for me to drop.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

That's the thing, I don't see streaming games via TTS as particularly promoting TTS as opposed to the game being played, any more than streaming at all is a direct promotion of Twitch. Unless the streamer is really pushing TTS as opposed to "check out this cool game!" then it kinda seems like you're tilting at windmills here.
Then I guess I'm tilting at windmills. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to abandon their TTS streamers - I just said that's my line in the sand, because gently caress Berserk.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

okay but you didn’t say that as your personal line in the sand, if you look at your original post on the matter, that’s why I said it seemed pretty absurd. Like you literally told people not to watch TTS streamers, explicitly.

"my stance is gently caress Berserk, buy any keys from black market sites so Berserk ain't getting paid, and don't watch any streams/streamers that use TTS."

Enjoy your weekend.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

Updated. Thank you.

Yeah, I debated mentioning the same thing. Thankfully, most campaigns will literally have "Will a $1 pledge get me access to the pledge manager?" in their FAQ, regardless of the answer.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Quacks of Quid + Herb Witches
+6 Pumpkin

in non meme-news, punching Oceans was painful. someone who has punched AFFO is probably laughing at me now.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Just finished Clank Legacy at 2p. Spouse and I were already big fans of Clank in Space prior to starting, and also dig co-op deckbuilders in general.

It was a good experience, but it's a "for Clank/deckbuilder lovers only" recommend at 2p. We really played more into a co-op mindset with trying to accomplish goals, which made the "who won the campaign" moment unsatisfying, and in particular, 2 mission goals made us feel like we were up against a wall with only 2p instead of 3 or 4. I get the impression the game is most fun at 4p, with just the slightest hint of co-op but otherwise playing mean - and I bet 3p, with a more healthy co-op/"gently caress you" balance also works.

The post-campaign game state feels kinda like Aeon's End Legacy - the game is definitely replayable after the campaign, but some of the decisions/buffs you make throughout will undeniably break a bit of balance, should they come into play.

It's solid - but if they made a v2 that leaned into "hey let's just do a weird-rear end mission that you'll never see again" a bit more, and with a bit more well defined rules for rewards-balance, it'd be a giant recommend from me.

Post-dinner, we're going to hit Oceans and maaaaybe Planet X.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Podima posted:

For Viticulture fans, this is worth a read: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2853449/april-21-south-america-cultural-consulting-and-fix

TL;DR: They screwed up with representation of historical conquistadors (who committed heinous acts of genocide) in the Viticulture World expansion but are taking very thoughtful steps to fix it.

I don't think I'll hold a grudge against Stonemaier on this one but holy poo poo how do you think making cards such that you have to say "hey these were bad people, just fyi" is a good idea rather than just removing those loving cards.

good on em for getting it right but Jamey looks like a clown on this one

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

I think the adage "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." is probably apt in this instance.
Probably could have used with some cultural cross checking, but they've corrected course swiftly.

That's what makes it worse - he had cultural advice, and decided that "these people were bad" text was good enough justification to include actual villains of history in a game about making wine. There isn't a "woops i goofed" big enough for how stupid this is. The course correction might get the game right, but this is some permanent clown makeup for Jamey.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
it's me, the sucker who couldn't resist the Sexy Jeff Goldblum mini

I figure it can be the first player token for all other games when not playing Unmatched

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Survived putting my first Folded Space together yesterday and today. The box is clearly unhappy with me, but I've got Aeon's End (plus 1 expansion), AE: War Eternal (plus 1 expansion) and most of AE: Legacy (the market cards and the replayable nemeses) living under one lid.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Mayveena posted:

All I can say is don't hold your breath for expansions from Rio Grande.....
me holding my breath for the Beyond the Sun expansion:

(they said development is done and it's in the production pipeline)

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
got gifted Castles of Tuscany and it.... does not look like a game I can successfully teach to my SO. i'll do some Rodney due diligence, but does anyone care enough about it to sway my opinion, whether towards definitely playing it or immediately placing it on the sell stack?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
All I can think of are games like High Society or For Sale, where you can have fun whether you min-max or just shoot from the hip. Q.E. might be even better, but might be a wee too much for the grandmother.

The Crew is a good call - particularly, asking whether the grandma is familiar with trick-taking games is probably a million-dollar question.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Admiralty Flag posted:

I too have a recommendation request. My sister and her family will be coming into town to visit for a few days. There will be 7 of us in all. I know she will have Uno and Phase 10 with her. I need an alternative. Has to be light and can't involve much reading as one of my nieces has severe dyslexia. Light is the keyword here too. Been thinking about the Resistance but not sure how that'll fly. I'm willing to go to the store and buy something I've never played sight unseen to avoid the fate of playing Uno or Phase 10!

For nights when we have five (e.g., when my oldest and their oldest hit the bars, leaving the old folks and the underaged niece at home), I plan on pulling out the Crew. I feel pretty good about this option.

also saying Take 5, plus No Thanks

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Played a few more rounds of the new Libertalia. Really pleased with it, particularly with using the meaner loot tokens in low player counts, and more positive ones in higher player counts. Still feels like it sticks around just the tiniest bit too long, but that's about the worst thing I could say about it.

Also got the BGG Quacks bags, and they are fantastic. Need to find a plano box or organizer of sorts that will work with my super chunky printed chips to cut down on setup time, but it's my most deluxified game for a reason.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I can't rave enough about Botanik as a 2p game. Hands down my favorite short (but longer than Schotten Totten) game. A mix of tile drafting and tile laying, with some interesting creativity and the perfect helping of meanness/hate-drafting, which is to say, just a taste.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Jewmanji posted:

No idea how playtesting (or the major expansion) didn’t fix this. It’s so boring.

2nd expansion, Oceania, curbs it fairly hard - the new player boards rebalance the values. Which means for me, the new boards are a must, but they are NOT easy to teach to beginners - the colors are muddier and harder to read, and there's significantly more icons.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I'm gonna take a slightly different recommendation for Clank - I've played the base game with the water expansion, and own In Space and completed Legacy. If you want something fairly light and quick, go with base Clank, and maybe opt for 1 expansion map down the road. In Space and Legacy both add a decent bit of setup time and rules overhead. Both very enjoyable experiences - and I'm at least a little curious how the tile version weighs in on setup/rules - but from the original question, it sounds like the most streamlined version might make sense.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

Spoilered just on the off chance someone else wants to be surprised if they can play Clank Legacy after the campaign is done. If I remember correctly, I believe it is replayable once the story is done. I don't have the copy in front of me to check for sure.

Spoiler is correct. Your board will be somewhat unique, and you'll have unlocked most cards from the chest, but not all, so every post-campaign box will look somewhat but not significantly different.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don’t see what’s weird about wooden tokens. You’re dumping what, 60 hours into the game?
Their KS says 30+ hours with the expansion - which is rated as 5+ hours of content.

Count me on the side of "premium tokens are a joke unless you do a reset pack".

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

million dollar mack posted:

Ok well as they’ve reached a stretch milestone, they just dropped the base price of The Queen’s Dilemma to $99 and all existing pledges now come with a reset pack.

lol, I think we all got played on this one

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

I expect all goons who complained about the price to now back immediately
strong take

got Khora off the shelf for the first time today. not sure it's got a lot of legs at 2p, and i've got a gripe or two about the symbology, but the pacing and decision space was really good, and it absolutely does not overstay its welcome.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

MM must be reading the thread because they've just put out this https://www.miniaturemarket.com/new-warehouse

There was a post on BGG the other day that after the warehouse move, a lot of labor resigned because the new warehouse was too far away. Complete conjecture, but makes sense why they'd be like "literally everyone is helping!!"

That said, I've heard it's more like 2-3 weeks from order to ship these days, where it was like 4-6 a month ago. I don't particularly hold a candle for MM since they're Asmodee, but I do like their price matching, so I'll probably try 'em again after the new year and see what's what.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Azran posted:

Isn't discarding at the end of your turn optional in Aeon's End? That immediately came to mind

Gosh, is this another AE rule I've gotten wrong? I thought gems/relics are discardable or not, but spells must remain in hand.

:siren: Barnes and Noble are having a 50% off board game (well, drat near 50% off everything) sale today and tomorrow, in-store only. :siren: This is not the B&N "YMMV" of clearance - this is every store. They stock a lot of good poo poo - Spirit Island, Dice Throne, Exit games, Wingspan, Arnak, Long Shot Dice Game, etc etc etc. I think the B&N member 10% even stacks. I scored Arnak, Mind MGMT, Paperback, Furnace, Wavelength, and Blitzkrieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

djfooboo posted:

Also “Limited Copies” at the top. Uh, isn’t that the point is to print what you sell?

It's a fake kickstarter. The backer release is in May, retail August - they've already finalized and begun production and are running this to get maxx buxx prior to the already planned retail release.