Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

homullus posted:

If nothing else, everyone should watch a "how to play video" together.

I have seen this attempted before (with a Watch it Played video, no less) and there was zero retention. It was very bad. A giant waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Any thoughts on preferred sleeve brands?

Poking around reddit, I see Sleeve Kings and Dragon Shields recommended the most. The former is a lot cheaper, though I'm not sure how big a difference nicer sleeves would make for shuffling. It also appears Dragon Shield doesn't make sleeves for "American" sized cards. I'd like to go for clear sleeves, I like being able to see the card backs, not sure if that makes a difference though.

Arcane Tinmen make Dragon Shields, and they have a separate line called "Board Game Sleeves" under their own name for board games with all the appropriate sizes. They're pretty good and not that expensive. Noble Knight stocks them.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
It looks like an app called "Board Game Stats." I recently started using it again to keep track of what's actually getting played.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

NmareBfly posted:

Don't know if it's bad for the coating long term or whatever but a very slightly damp paper towel makes the rubbing extremely easy and over in a flash. Don't use the included erasers.for after game cleanup unless you want it to take forever.

The rulebook itself suggests using a dry paper towel (it even bolds dry!) but says you can use a slightly damp one to remove buildup. The erasers are mostly intended for correcting small errors, but it does suggest waiting ten seconds before using them.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

To start a round you'll be handed 8 cards - call Grand Tichu to gain/bust for 200 instead, but you only have 8 cards with which to do it. If you don't call Grand Tichu you'll get 6 additional cards.

You still get your additional cards if you call Grand, you just don't get to see what they are before you make the call so they might be absolute garbage.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At a guess it's hitting saturation within the existing community.

It could also be that they went exclusive to GTS Distribution (aside from direct orders). Plenty of stores would have bought more last year if they could have bought it from their usual distributors, but they can't, so they didn't.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
There are exactly enough Ra tiles to do all three epochs with 5p, so if you ran out before getting there something is messed up for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Are there clear/matte sleeves that aren't US$0.10 each? After a certain point, it's just cheaper to buy a second copy of the game...

Arcane Tinmen non-glare "Board Game Sleeves" are $0.05 each.