Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are fairly solvable but Patchwork, Nova Luna, and Santorini are my top 1v1 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just played Ravine the other night and that was really cool. Cooperative or with the expansion of complicated semi betrayal game. Very simple.

I also like were doomed it's a party game that scales to 10 but is okay with smaller groups

Both are very light and include some strategy and some weird wackiness

King of Tokyo and Race for the Galaxy are also simplr simple. Race looks intimidating but once you get used to the visual shorthand and you'll be fine and the explainer cards do a good job.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm going to make a small effort post about Ravine because we had a lot of fun and I'd never heard of it before. Ravine is group survival with a simple cycle of trading health to forage for new cards, using those cards to heal up and craft and get ready for the night, the night comes and it usually something bad happens to your group unless you have the tools in place to protect yourselves. Then in the morning anyone with only one HP takes a madness card that ofen include some silly rules like singing what you say.

The expansion adds spirit characters who want to kill a random number of you. It's a fixed number between none and all of you that the spirits roll when the game starts. Spirits get extra cards of all the kinds you use in the regular game and during their turn each Spirit can put a card where one of the survival players might draw it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Lords of Water deep is a great lower complexity worker placement

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's like half the board games though

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't know about the miniatures games but the blood-borne card game is very nice and I recommend it for a group of three to five.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are more people playing Dominion on the website or on steam? I got kind of annoyed when they slowed the website game down and after I lost due to a hidden chess timer on an undo request.

My regular group tried two new games last night they were both pretty okay for what they were.

Raids is a light viking game where you sail around competing for the best spots to stop and get points. It uses a catch-up turn order like patchwork. Whoever is most behind goes next but also all the spots between them and the next player get cleared out so they can't just slow roll and visit every one. 4/5

Arena of the Gods is an Ameritrash dice off combat game. You start by bidding life for equipment and you try to come up with a build that can do good stuff with each of the four things you might roll. Enjoyable for what I think is generally one of the worst kinds of game. The goal is to have the most life when the first player dies so it doesn't actually drag on that badly either.

Has anyone tried That Time You Killed Me?
My first glance it looks awesome but I was scared to peek at chapters inside

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 5, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Boop is my favorite new bga game. So simple!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The family mode for Isle of Cats is good as a simple tile laying game too.

I really liked the "draw and explore" version. A very nice randomizer mechanism for scoring.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
played something new recently all my friends enjoyed and have not seen mentioned.

Reincardnated is a good game!

it's themed on progressing towards being human from a plant. Scoring cards are drawn randomly and hidden unless you use a power to look. So you might have a card that favors a certain type of being or a card that favors all your stuff dying. Some cards even look at your opponents stuff for powerful bonus points.

Each turn you can play one or two "karma" utility cards or instead of one of the karma cards your last action can be to incarnate as a new "being", plant, aquatic, amphibious, insect, mammal, and bird. Each incarnation adds a being to your lifeline and when you do so you can trigger that being particular ability. many being abilities are to peek at the scoring card of a single player. There's a lot of scoring cards with a variety of effects. Only certain beings, and under certain conditions, can incarnate to man, ending the game at the end of the current round of player turns and giving the player to do so a bonus. +

It's not my favorite but most of the people I played with in two separate groups ended up liking and buying it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are you open to... cooperation?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Terraforming of Mars is an interesting blends of elements. The parts I like about it are similar to what I like about AffO. But where the occupation deck has limited ability to swing a game relative to everything else, the way the deck works in TM lends it to feeling like ive tacked a complicated math problem onto Candy Land.

I also hate Ascension for how it uses the same mechanic that I don't mind at all in village village or bloodborne or Jaipur

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Explore and draw is really fun.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tiered like, some cards get shuffled in later in the game so you are more likely to have functional starts for everyone? Or is it something else

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah and even that Agency is incredibly limited and sucks and emphasizes how much luck is ruling.

Race for the Galaxy is a better comparison but Candy Land is funnier. Either way, it's a ton of work to play the more boring, non random part well to get a few point differential, and most of the point result is what cards you even get to look at. So it gets unfun because you end up knowing you only won or lost because you got handed combo pieces or not.

Lots of games have this, but don't also make you play the side game that only impacts outcomes rarely.

Spent a lot of time thinking about this because tfm was my favorite game for a while.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 15, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We had a lot of "oh, I did that wrong so everyone else can do it wrong once too" when I was teaching Tiny Epic Galaxies but I don't think my group would tolerate that with anything heavier.

TEG owns.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think this genre peaked with Tzoklin

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm just finish ip my first game of Ark Nova on BGA. I went in 1v1 and totally blind. Focused on African animals and generally just getting the sense of how it all fits together while refusing to read a single rule. It's pretty fun! Seems very complex. Is this an mwe or a heavy?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just ordered all the second edition updates and compiled Dominion into a single box again. the old box exploded in 10 years ago and of course the game is completely unusable in original storage. I'm very loving excited for my 25 lb game.

I also got isle of cats explore and draw which might be the greatest light game I've ever played. :toot:

Never used Boardlandia before but good deals

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Heat is really cool but if I can't cause a pileup what is even the point

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tiny Epic Pirates is real good

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
At 5 players I'm all about Diplomacy and Resistance variants like Avalon or Secret Hitler.

The Bloodborne card game is great semi cooperative

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 5, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I truly love Hugo's Amazing Tape for all sorts of cards. It's plastic that only sticks to itself.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I played my first game of Root and I was the fascists kitties and it was the worst experience of my life. 10/10 can't wait to play birb

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Explore and Draw

Resistance, Secret Hitler, etc.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

panko posted:

with 5 players, and meatier than high society?

A bit!

Also, Bloodborne card game. It's probably my favorite for 5 right now

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 26, 2024

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's all very small individually. Perfect for knocking a beer over trying to make it fit. Too many bits I concede, were always worried to lose one

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 26, 2024

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Looney Lab Pyramids.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sorted by raw love

Dominion
aFfO
Space Alert
The Resistance
Toc Toc Woodman (I'm counting it even only barely)
RftG
Explore and Draw
We're Doomed
Jaipur

I want to include patchwork but it's pretty easy to solve

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Have come into possession of a copy of Shogun. All of the parts are awesome until I get to the actual rules.

I've never really played any of these old tactical games.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It came with the rules I just mean they are silly and overly complicated for a dice game. It is the Milton Bradley one and I am very excited to play it with friends.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah it really sucks people don't let you win because the rules say they don't have to

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
With Race especially new players I think benefit most from playing a bunch of games in a row just to see as many cards as possible and get a general sense of what the hell is going on before you slow down and start thinking about it.

but you can then be good and think faster

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Eclipse is great but you have to make sure take to food breaks

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As much as I hated the Steam implementation of Terraforming Mars (animations take the whole drat game even on fastest) and kind of hate TM, I'm excited to see it on BGA.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh yeah I still won't play it in real time.

I'm one of those people that rolls 30 to 40 turn-based games at a time so terraforming Mars will slot right in

I want to change my name but it's hard to stop queueing new games

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

There is way too much watching other people take their actions and seeing long-established conclusions drag themselves to the finish line for that game to stay in my interests, even as much as I love the theme and some of the appeal of watching a plan come together.

This is also how I feel about Baren park.

It's got some good elements but the last like a third of the game is completely unnecessary

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not King making if you're trying to not be dead

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I know this isn't the Magic thread but suddenly it seems really important to ask if resignation goes on The Stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I got the impression from the four-player version they were talking about that the other three would continue. Which is why the timing suddenly becomes critical