Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This is from the old thread, but I’m still curious:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Carcasonne, Space Alert, and BSG are p. bad recs in TYOOL 2k21

Maybe.. Azul? Clank? I like 7 Wonders Architects but it’s new and haven’t played it long-term yet.

BSG has the tentacle remake, but what’s out-Space Alerted Space Alert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Since I moved to Hawai’i my non-flgs purchases have mostly been from Atomic Empire, initially because they’re the only online retailer to offer MM/CSI-level prices and free shipping (>$75) to Hawai’i/Alaska (and continue to do so despite all my $80 orders over the years). They’ve also had great support when there’s been issues, like sending a Arkham lcg pack separate priority when they didn’t receive the promised stock on time.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

E: This might be less complexity and interactivity than they're looking for, but Cartographers would be extremely easy to play via webcam (especially if you use the solo rules for monster ambushes). It's also pretty cheap and the other players could get away with printing their own maps from Thunderwork's website if they didn't want to buy extra copies.

If they wanted to try some coop and like Marvel, I think Marvel Champions would also be pretty easy to play via webcam. Everyone plays from their own deck and I don't think there are many (any?) situations where players would have to shuffle in cards from a shared pool.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 15, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sloober posted:

what if i just want the box

It sounds like it may not fit since they're including a combined double-side gameboard for the base game and Fire & Ice. It would be nice if they had an option for just the box + double-sided board, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you insist on receipts, follow these links. I'm not going to poo poo up this thread by quoting them (and it's a terrible gbs thread full of lovely transphobes anyway).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459483257
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459634274
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459449937

I definitely remember some transphobic bullshit in the BG thread too, but I not going to wade through the swamp to find it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Let's see how that's going?

Name : Boonlake, interesting

Category : American West, hmm

Theme : Colonial

Oh no.

There were some other humans there before but they all left for reasons we will not discuss. So I guess its fine.

Pretty much the modern version of the Pristine Myth.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

wait were people mad at frosthaven because of blockchain? the thread that hoards plastic and cardboard shipped on container ships from china getting mad about blockchain is pretty funny to me ngl

Nobody is mad about Frosthaven because of Kickstarter's dumb stuff. People have been mad at Kickstarter for dumb kickstarter stuff. Prada Slut used Frosthaven to intentionally stir poo poo, leading to separate discussions of Kickstarter and Frosthaven, and some disingenuous claims that people were mad about Frosthaven.

E: I probably don't count as a "thread regular", but I would not be sorry to see Prada Slut's dumb poo poo stirring thread-banned. There's a difference between having different opinions about board games, and intentionally trolling the thread on board-game-related social and economic justice issues. Putting KD in the OP likely won't change much because new folks generally don't read the OP, but having a rule that regulars (more-or-less) politely inform people asking about KD rule before jumping on them could work. Giving new folks the benefit of the doubt is always good (both in replies and moderation), but it shouldn't extent to regular trolls doubling- or tripling-down on disingenuous defenses of exploitative content.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 26, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, sorry, that wasn’t directed at you personally, Mayveena, but more at Leperfish’s request that people speak for themselves on the issue. Now I’ve given my opinion.

Putting the rule in OP is fine - it should be there. It’s just that new people getting piled with “Read the OP” posts is honestly a lot less welcoming than just having people explain (nicely, preferably) what the rule is and maybe why, if necessary.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Majik Ninja posted:

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or? We most recently got 7 wonders duel and it's a very fun game since usually we only have two players.

If you haven't heard of it yet, my partner and I have been playing Cartographers a few times a month and it's great puzzler. We're not very competitive and like our two-player games to either be all direct conflict or none, so we just use the solo rules for monster placement.

I've been enjoying playing through the first couple adventures of Roll Player Adventures solo, and so far the story is decent enough and the dice manipulation gameplay is fun and challenging. I've heard that the challenge goes downhill in the latter part of the campaign because you get enough cards to easy steamroll any challenge, but I suspect the story will still be enjoyable.

E: And Machine Strike, lol (go with swoop)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 27, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Me buying board games: Haha yes, yes! More boardgames, yes!

Me having to pack boardgames to move house and taking a million goddamn moving boxes to do so: What the gently caress, this sucks, gently caress!

Same, but considering moving from Hawaii at some point and eyeing those USPS rates for large boxes that have shot past double what they were when I moved here and are edging towards triple :argh:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is great solo (two-handed recommended). OG is good too but JotL is a much tighter experience.

Also not mentioned yet (I think)
- Aeon’s End (any set will work, but Legacy/Legacy of Gravehold have ramping legacy campaigns that provide a gentler introduction and interesting mechanics, and New Age/outcast introduce a four-boss randomized campaign mode.

- Arkham Horror LCG / Lord of the Rings LCG / Marvel Champions

- Under Falling Skies

-Nemo’s War

- Comancheria / Navajo Wars

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Leraika posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for physically small and rules light games? And when I say physically small, I mean 'can fit into a standard purse'. I've usually got Tussie Mussie on hand, but wouldn't mind some more options (anyone have any experience with Button Shy's other games?).

Hey, That's My Fish! is compact and can be even more compact if you ditch the box for a bag. Setup is slightly fiddly but after that the game is just "move one of penguins in a straight line (blocked by gaps or other penguins), take the iceberg piece you moved from; most fish wins".

The Crew (both versions) is basically just two set of cards and a couple tokens + rule/mission book. The rule/mission book is the size of the box, but it's easy to just use a digital version on a phone/tablet/laptop (or throw a few button shy games in the box to fill up the empty space). Might be a little bit heavier than you're looking for.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

My neighbor and I had a lot of fun with it the second edition an experience generator when we were kids, but it's absolutely a terrible game if you try to play it as a game. As HP said, we pretty much ran around the board watching random poo poo happen and trying to get as powerful as possible until it was about time to go home, and then ran for the crown and promptly broke the game milling spells (2e didn't have a casting limit and we always took characters that draw new spells as they were cast). We'd declare the universe torn asunder and that was a satisfactory conclusion.

My dad HATED the game the only time I convinced him to play it with us, because it's excruciating if you're not trying to kill 3 hours watching random poo poo happen. There is (and was) better games for what it does and I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone who didn't know exactly what they were getting themselves in to.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 24, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1518998462414659590

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

A couple more light, compact suggestions:

Hey, That's My Fish! (2-4 players)
Sushi Go Party (best 3-7) - Bigger than Sushi Go, but better for repeated plays. Lots of empty space if you want to throw it in with something else
Love Letter (3-4)
Cartographers (1-6 or so) - Use solo rules for monster placement if people don't like the Take That interaction
Sprawlopolis/Agropolis (best with just 1 or 2)

Hidden role games: I haven't played these, but I think Resistance: Avalon is recommended in the OP?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Does anyone have experience with Dale of Merchants or it's standalone sequels? Someone on BGG mentioned it as an alternative to Valley of the Kings and on the surface it looks like a decent, compact market row deckbuilder. I'm a bit iffy about the completely random market (rather than phased) and the lack of first player handicap, though, especially with the goal-based win condition.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

High Tension Wire posted:

Dale of Merchants is really really good imo. DoM 3 is propably the best if you only get one, but 2 is also really solid & I have them both.

The fact that you can use the cards as either building material for the win condition or for their printed effects gives them a lot of leeway and enables different strategies. My partner has won games by simply playing/rushing it like Lost Cities and never using any card effects. Also you buy stuff from the market to the top of your draw deck, not to your discard pile.

I seem to remember there was something like the second player gets to still play their last turn, even if the 1st player wins, but not sure. Hasn't felt unbalanced to me, would recommend.

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a go! It doesn't hurt that it's compact and cheap :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, there's also the Arkham Horror LCG, Marvel Champions and potentially Lord of the Rings LCG, which is getting reprints of old cycles with an added connecting campaign structure.

I personally enjoyed Tainted Grail but the combat is definitely lighter and less polished than Gloomhaven and there are some questionable design choices for the survival aspects. If you don't mind houseruling or changing difficulty if you don't like the balance, it's a fun CYOA-style romp with a lot of interacting story vignettes.

Roll Player Adventures has a crunchy dice-placement puzzle at it's core, but unfortunately it gives you so many additional tools as you progress that it trivializes itself by the end of the campaign.

I've heard good things about Dice Throne Adventures, but the buy-in is pretty high since you also need Dice Throne character sets and I haven't tried it myself yet. On the plus side Dice Throne is supposed to be a pretty good two-player competitive game, too!

If you like Legacy of Gravehold enough that you'd be willing to play more Aeon's End Outcasts has a mini-campaign structure ("expeditions") designed to be reset and replayed, and the original Legacy is good, if not quite as balanced as LoG.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also solo-only:

Heavy: Navajo Wars and Comanchería.

Medium: Thunderbolt Apache Leader (/ Hornet Leader)

Medium-Light: Under Falling Skies, Warp's Edge

Light: Food Chain Island, Deep Space D6, Four Against Darkness

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

All of Eldritch can be packed into just three of its big boxes.

You can get away with two if you pack them extra tight and don’t use thick sleeves!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

loving hell

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SettingSun posted:

My group is preparing to play Aeon's End Legacy so to prepare I pulled out War Eternal to see if an extended break with fresh eyes makes winning any more possible. Verdict: Barely. Even with the lowest difficulty nemesis on beginner difficulty two of us barely edged out a win. The nemesis got 4 turns in a row twice, something I consider extremely rude and almost cost us the game. Something about forming a coherent strategy with this game is beyond me still though.

There’s a nice house-rule variant that can eliminate the chance of four enemy turns in a row with affecting the balance too much:

Patience: When a player’s turn order card is revealed, they may choose to delay their turn. Draw the next turn order card, then place the player’s turn order card back on top of the deck.

With this rule if you get three or four player cards in a row at the beginning of a round you can choose to delay some of them so the nemesis doesn’t get two turns in a row at the end of the round (with subsequent possible four nemesis turns in a row). If it starts feeling too powerful you can cap it at two or one total player relays per round, and/or add a life cost (player or Gravehold).

That said, Legacy does a pretty good job of layering mechanics and allowing you to build market synergies. There are a couple of places where the Legacy mechanic and bad luck can make the rest of the campaign significantly harder, though!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

“Request for voluntary recognition denied.” Not very noble…

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

armorer posted:

Pretty sure you have it right. I'm not sure if relics are discardable though. I know you can play gems even if you don't spend them. Pretty sure that spells can't be discarded, only prepped to breaches.

Yeah, there’s no end-of-turn discard so nothing can be optionally discarded. Gems and relics can (usually) be played and let fizzle which can feel like a discard, but sometimes there will be non-optional effects for playing them that will need to be dealt with. Spells have to prepped to open or focused breaches.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Glazius posted:

...but you're not supposed to use all the cards, you're supposed to just mix a handful of mini-boosters into the core deck, different every game?

The core set + 12 booster sets is about 260 cards under the first edition rules where they’re all shuffled together. That’s an enormous stack, especially when sleeved, like 4.5 magics!

The only bigger deck I’ve seen is the adventure deck in Talisman with all expansions when I was a kid. I think that was about 500-600 cards?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe actual cannibal Ticket To Ride could fit?

Typo or…? :fork:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Talisman digital is a guilty pleasure of mine. Being able to speed through the bot turns is a godsend. Don't think I'd ever play it with actual people though because it's still not a good game. Even digital, don't play at max players, nor with more than like 2 expansions tops. Playing with them all is insanity.

Counterpoint: play with max players, but simultaneous real time. :black101:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Who's Chocolate Jesus?

Maybe Lure of the Deep Wilderness or Devouring Teeth Lurk Underfoot, depending on what you focus on?

And no one has stated the obvious for Downpour Drenches the World…

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cartographers would fit except for interaction. At two players we usually use the solo rules for monster placement so there’s no interaction at all. It’s still plenty social if the table is willing to share drawings or discuss strategy!

E: I’ll second dice throne too

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That’s Nev, right?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

Hell, no game has yet to do deckbuilding as well. Every twist someone tries to add detracts.

The “no-shuffle” gimmick in Aeon’s End works really well, as do Valley of the King’s pyramid + staged market row and entombing mechanics. The games aren’t necessarily better than Dominion, but they are different and the differences don’t detract from the experience.

E: missing important “n’t” on “aren’t”!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I don’t know about board games, but there’s a cheese-themed extreme sport.

E: Apparently Fromage is releasing late this year? (Simultaneous worker placement)