Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I really like Libertalia but a “solo mode” seems like the most pointless thing ever, I can’t see how it would be at all satisfying.

I used to play Libertalia a fair deal as a pretty chill and simple game, but these days Oriflamme is very similar and possibly just as good but plays in much less time. Libertalia is pretty good for larger groups though and id often get it out for 5-6 players as something that wouldn’t take too long or that much explaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Wasn't there a post a page or three ago that Libertalia was good? I was going to look into it. What should I do now?

Wait. Libertalia is indeed good but there are a lot of other games which IMO fill a similar niche and are also very good, depending on how many players you typically have and how long/complex an experience you want. It’s a light-ish bluffing game at heart, really, and there is a lot of good stuff in that space (especially relatively cheap small box card games like Oriflamme which I mentioned before). So I’d wait and see what the new edition is like, and depending on what you are hankering for there might be something else to look at just as good or better.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

To flip all this around I think it highlights how many good games have mechanisms to end the game pretty quickly once someone has a decisive advantage - people used to complain about Race for the Galaxy ending before they got a chance to really run their engine more than once but IMO it’s a big strength of the game (and what makes it a “race” for the galaxy) that generally one big pump of victory points or expansion will either end the game or put it one turn away from ending, and then you get a shorter game which you can play again, every turn matters right until it doesn’t.

I also agree that the contest and type of game is super important. When we play Feast for Odin it does seem like the main game is maximising your score rather than playing for win (eg it’s rare people deliberately block - as almost pointless it is in FFO), and sometimes people enjoy beating their score from last time more than taking 1st. Also, with high player count games if only victory is satisfying you will end with more unhappy people each time. I have played with exactly one person who seemed to have a “nothing but victory matters”, every other group I’ve played in people are quite keen to be third and beat the person in fourth place even if they can’t be second or first.

The idea of someone rushing a game end because they can’t be first (as opposed to rushing because they have a current advantage!!) is pretty alien to me unless the game is just bad and people want to get it over with. I mean otherwise I’m enjoying it and learning how to do better next time? It would be like people in the Olympics just giving up and leaving the pool or racetrack once the first person went over the line. I mean sure, some games have just a winner and no relative placing and it should always be OK to call it if someone has clearly won, but deliberately rushing the game because you can’t win is weird. At least just leave the table maybe?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

This general issue is also why I find Ankh’s merge mechanic so interesting (if you aren’t aware of it: the players in last position are forced to merge into essentially a single super player with fewer actions and double turns, with the VP of the lowest player - not quite that simple but close enough). I have only played it once with more than 2p and I can imagine it’s super divisive as a mechanic with some groups but makes it much more interesting to others - for example, if you are falling behind you can begin strategising for the merge, as it might be preferable to be third in a 4 player game and you can work to help the fourth player, lowering your score to make sure you are the one merged and raising the fourth players score so you start out at a higher VP spot. It was great the one game we played at keeping everyone super invested right through the last turn.

Edit: I need to play it more but Ankh is a really interesting game. The components are almost distracting and imply it’s a very different game than it actually is. It’s much less a dudes on a map game and much more a very interactive euro almost like a Knizia design. All the components could easily be something like from Samurai or Tigris and Euphrates in terms of essentially placing adjacent tokens on a highly dynamic and changing board state, with some simple player powers and cards on top of that. But the focus is squarely on the board and a range of interactions between simple effects creating something more complex.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 8, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I was really surprised to hear SVWAG name it their game of the year and highlight how stripped down and tight it is. Certainly advertised as another giant mess like Rising Sun but sounds way more interesting than that.

It surprised me because I was kind of in the mood for a bit messy dudes on a map game when I bought it, then had to mentally recalibrate a lot. The rules are vey simple and it doesn’t do the trick of dumping tons of additional need to know stuff on cards, instead it has a pretty much deterministic board (very little randomness) and a highly flexible board state - stuff like every few turns a player gets to divide a region in half, creating new areas on the board to contest for area control - this is then where the complexity comes from, it’s highly strategic and potentially a bit of a brain burner where you really need to plan ahead. You can’t just tactically react to what’s going on, despite the changes to the board - you need to set things up turns in advance.

It also has a book full of scenarios and alternative map setups which I haven’t delved into but looks really interesting from a replay-ability standpoint. I have none of the expansions but the base retail set feels like it has tons of variety just by itself, a pleasant change from many Kickstarter projects.

Now that I’m thinking about it I’m going to go look up the horribly expensive expansions anyway. The huge minis are nice but totally unnecessary, I wonder if more people would end up playing this if it was a more conventional box with tokens and meeples. It’s more that kind of game IMO.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Mighty Eris posted:

I’ll defer to those with greater knowledge than I but I know there are several 18xx games that feature a big mandatory effect that can slow down development mid game that are still well considered.

Brass as well with the canal/railway eras. Not really the same thing and not exactly mandatory but Dominant Species has some powerful cards and the ice spreading around which can feel a bit similar maybe?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

There are copies at Greyfox games website if you’re in the US - shipping overseas is unfortunately prohibitively expensive otherwise, I’ve been trying to get a copy of it but $40USD shipping to Australia was too much for me.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Has any game made personal goals not suck? New Angeles probably the closest?

New Angeles I had a lot of fun with the one time I played it and I think it’s solution to this has been the best (haven’t played stationfall). I suspect it’s just too long and conceptually kind of mind bendy for most groups, and I haven’t been able to play it enough to see how it holds up over multiple plays - I suspect some kind of a limited meta would probably develop and that would be interesting to see. I am determined to get it out again but maybe play it with a timer as I think In theory it could be played a lot faster and leaner than what we manage - we had a lot of discussions that really pushed the game length out.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Marvel is reimplementing Fantasy Realms

$20 usd is the RRP

Yeah I'll probably look into this.

I think there’s a Star Trek one too?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Free Gratis posted:

I haven't posted in this thread for a while so not sure if it's come up, but I recently bought Zombie Kidz: Evolution to play with my 7 and 9 year old children and it's pretty much the perfect game to play with kids.

All in all, it's an incredibly simple coop game, with some light legacy elements. The game starts off where 1-4 players work to close all the gates to their school to keep the zombies out. Each player rolls a colored die to show where a new Zombie pops up, then you move and kill some zombies to keep their numbers low while working to close the gates. The legacy elements gradually add more rules, like special powers for the player characters, and they do a great job of gradually adding complexity so as not to overwhelm kids.

The kids really like it (especially my 9 year old daughter), and they get thrilled when they get to open envelopes. It's a godsend to me because it's not a random mess like most "classic" child boardgames. It's not the most engaging puzzle, but there are honest to god decisions to make. Also, it's cheap!

The two main criticisms I have are not *too* important when you consider the intended audience. One is that the Legacy aspect doesn't really feel like you're progressing anything. You're just adding rules, with no story to justify them. The other is that it is even more prone to quarterbacking than classic Pandemic. In my case, this is fine since my kids generally want help from me in order to make the best play, but I could see it potentially being a nightmare in a group where one child has an extremely dominant personality.

The slightly more advanced sequel (only slightly) Zombie Teenz does have some story (comic panels) which get unlocked with the new stuff and feels like there is more progression. There is also a die you upgrade, and cards you swap into an events deck, so the whole thing does feel like it changes more. I rolled my 4 and 7 year old onto it and its been great. It's different enough that it's definitely worth having both for kids. (There are also rules for using characters from one game in the other). We super enjoy it as a family, I think it's an incredibly good game for a family with kids in that age range.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I would, but I've seen pics of them fading + they're expensive if I want both sets and shipping to Aus.

Coin capsules work out like 30-40% of the cost of the Geekbits + I can pickup Herb Witches.

I'll talk to my players about a chip in for it

It's highly worth doing but make sure you get the right size. Be warned it takes a long time to do all the chips for the game + herb witches - I did it in a team with my son over a bunch of nights.

Once you've done it you will probably also want to think about how you store each set of capsuled tokens. (I haven't nailed that one yet)

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Ankh seems to have come and gone without making a huge impact (other than SWVAG's game of the year) but I think it's really good. I also don't find it at all like Lang's other stuff, it really feels to me like as if Knizia took a whack at a DoAM game like he did with deckbuilders and Quest for El Dorado. It has very little randomness but a lot of variability due to the way the players can reconfigure the board. I think if it used tokens instead of massive minis it might be compared to a whole bunch of more abstract games rather than Blood Rage, Kemet etc. The merge mechanic is super important to make people aware of (essentially, the two players in last position merge into one faction with double turns about 3/4ths to 4/5ths through the game) because you need to plan around it, but it's a really interesting catch up mechanism that has made every game I've played tight right up until the end. It's also fairly fast to play with a bit of experience.

edit: and in fact I think Ankh possibly hasn't been as big a deal as say Blood Rage and probably won't because it's a much deeper and more strategic game, but it initially LOOKs like something much more ameri-trashy.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

Ankh is freakin great, especially for the extremely low rules overhead.

Yep. I can explain the rules in like 5-10 minutes and as everyone has the same upgrades and cards there isn’t a huge amount of in game stuff to get across.

That said why I think it might be a surprise to some people is that the actual strategy takes some time to grok I think. Especially as the board regions start to split up.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Kerro posted:

Catacombs of Karak is very good for younger kids (my 5yo loves it, as does her 8yo friend). I'm less sure for older kids, but much older than that and you probably could just start playing Descent/Death May Die etc.

Edit :I should add that it's very much just a board game though and not at all D&D-lite. There's no character progression besides gear, no campaign mode or anything, but it's very solid for what it is.

Descent 2e was ok with my 6 year old (now 7) with me as the overlord, but we then tried it co-op with the app and it was a huge success. Way faster and less setup too. We’ve now been doing Jaws of the Lion and so far so good, around 3 missions in, bur I think it hasn’t captured his attention as much as other games.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

St0rmD posted:

Digging this one up from a few pages back because I happened to see a YouTuber review Yellow and Yangtze quite favorably today, so might be worth a look. It's based on Tigris and Euphrates, with a few changes for flavor, so if you already have that, maybe take a pass, but otherwise seems dece unless you don't like Reiner Kniza games for some reason.

I think it’s very hard to get and out of print at the moment.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

It's a good game, but it's long and I think could be unsatisfying if you didn't have someone to play a few games with. It's not that much like Twilight Struggle if that's what drew you to it in terms of its actual mechanics.

But there also isn't much out there like it, and if you are a fan of that period of history it's pretty good.

Edit: to add a bit more detail, I think Twilight Struggle is fairly quick to pick up and understand, but there is a big gap between a new player and someone who's familiar with most of the cards and when the scoring ones come out. Imperial Struggle is the reverse - there is much more up front complexity but the game is more of a sandbox, the cards play much less of a role. While I think hypothetically it could be played a lot faster with experienced players, its definitely a 4-5 hour game for us when we've broken it out. So make sure you've got someone who's willing to play it!

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 19, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Slyphic posted:

More like I'm bored to death of Mythos. Especially played straight.

I also have a policy on never buying a game that's less than two years old because that's usually sufficient time for any artificial hype or FOMO to wear off, and actual organic informed opinions to accumulate into a rough consensus.

This is very sensible. I fall constant prey to FOMO and stuff being hard to get once it gets popular (recently For Science!, longer ago El Grande).

Ark Nova is the one I’m wrestling with at the moment. I SUSPECT it’s fairly average and will either disappear in two years or be re released with a premium edition, but the buzz has me angsting.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

The criticisms seem similar to terraforming mars - if I didn’t like that but really like Civ: a new Dawn, tableau builders like Race for the Galaxy and through the Ages, and the theme - will I like Ark Nova?

Who am I kidding I just succumbed to FOMO and ordered it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

High Tension Wire posted:

Has anyone played Fantasy Realms? Seems like a nice silly rummy-like filler for small gatherings. There is a deluxe version coming this fall with an expansion included and I'm thinking about ordering it.

I play it with my son all the time and it’s great, only takes a few minutes. The scoring app (its a webpage though not something you download) is vital and it would be half as fun without it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Yeah if you are getting smashed on the military front something’s wrong. Fellowship can win a military victory but it’s tricky. Sauron needs to wear the good guys down and deplete their armies, as above their armies come back while the free people’s don’t, so you need to be putting pressure on early, especially getting units out and moving towards strongholds for when they enter the war so the FP player gets worn down on several fronts. If the FP isn’t feeling like they are barely hanging on you aren’t flooding the board enough.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

It should be noted by design the game is primarily a Shadow military victory vs Free People ring victory race. It is possible for the FP to win militarily and Shadow to corrupt the Ringbearers but it happens in a minority of games, usually because one player takes some risks that don’t pay off and the other takes advantage (like the Fellowship ditching lots of members early and Sauron investing in Nazgûl and events which add corruption tokens, or Sauron concentrating troops too much). You do need to cover both bases as both players though, that’s the cool part of the game, if you don’t you can be exposed to that kind of nasty surprise.

Edit: I also vaguely wonder if there is a bigger possibility of “off meta” strategies like the China players Twilight Struggle situation than perhaps the BGG folk have taken account of. I don’t know if there is a decent online WOTR implantation to flush that sort of thing out.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 5, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

It’s very difficult to boycott companies with significant interests from the Saudi fund, as they simply have such a wide spread of investments. They have large stakes in Uber, Boeing, Facebook, EA/Take 2/Activision Blizzard/Nintendo, and Disney, so that’s most of transport, social media, video games, and Marvel/Star Wars/Frozen all out if you want to avoid products made under their investment umbrella.

It’s up to the individual of course but this is one of these things where I think the problem is so big and structural it’s difficult to consume ethically. I think Asmodee just being Asmodee is almost enough rationale to avoid them even without the Saudis but as you say, they have stakes in most of the rest of the board game industry. And I mean let’s not kid ourselves, while there isn’t moral equivalency between the Saudis and the United States there are also an awful lot of bombs and weapons being used in the ME against civilians proudly stamped with made in the USA and the investors in the big arms sale companies there are similarly diversified across the global economy. I doubt many (or any) major global company with tradable shares is that squeaky clean.

Which isn’t to say this isn’t all super important and of massive concern. But it’s political change not consumer action id recommend supporting. (Non-American here often troubled by all this a lot too)

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

My wife and I have really been enjoying My City. As we are coming to the end of it we were both discussing how good in particular some of the early rounds were when we were exhausted from work and too zonked to play anything too complex, so just having the game be “draw a card, stare at your board and place a tile” with pretty much zero setup and playing in 20 minutes was exactly what we needed.

I’m wondering what’s a good polynomimo game to maybe recapture that feel now once we are done. I’m unethused about patchwork based on the “theme” (to the extent it exists) and components. Barenpark is probably the lead contender as it looks pretty simple and clear and we can probably bring the kids in, but I understand the setup is a bit of a bear. NY Zoo? Anything else we should consider?

I’ll insta buy that sequel to my city coming out (my island) and we also have feast for Odin (too much for a quick after dinner thing) and ark nova (unplayed but presumably ditto).

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I’ve got Carcassonne but got a bit sick of it, especially as the 2p game feels quite zero sum and nasty in that it feels like you want to block people off from high scoring opportunities. I think we are both enthusiastic about the more Tetris like thing of how do you fit all this stuff together that My City had, it felt more like a visual puzzle. I’ll check out Cascadia though. Is Barenpark still considered good?

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 14, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Aramoro posted:

The problem with Isle of Cats is that it's not very good and has loads of bits.

Yeah I looked at it and it seemed a bit more than I was after. Also wasn’t keen to pack cats in a confined space, I’m pretty sure that’s rarely a good idea.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I enjoyed it, but the art is definitely what sold it to me, I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't specifically enjoy the theming.

Yeah that’s me out. I was also wondering if something like Azul might scratch a similar itch. But I might give Barenpark a go, it seems like it might be a good fit. Also going to read up on Cartographers, Cascadia and Copenhagen - the 3 C’s.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thanks everyone for all the polyomino suggestions. Lots to look at!

Edit: weirdly enough I had Azul sitting around and had never gotten around to giving it a go. Wow, actually it kind of does scratch this itch even though it’s not at all a polyomino game. Probably because it’s also mostly a visual puzzle thing? Anyway, just in case anyone else has a similar interest.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 15, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Apocron posted:

I’ve heard Inis is great but is improved by a rule in the expansion that breaks stalemates. Do you need the expansion to use that rule?

Nope. You can look up the manual on BGG and just implement it. It is probably worth using but it’s not critically necessary in order to enjoy Inis.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

!Klams posted:

Every so often I get some board game money in my pocket and I wonder again to myself if there are any new assymetric games with leveling up / tech trees out there.

I realise, specifically, what I'm after is a game to replace Rune Wars, the boardgame. (not the miniatures game). Kemet doesn't, because you are all choosing from the same menu. Spirit Island is co op. Root doesn't really have level up choices. Oath looks pretty amazing, but still not quite right. Dune is the greatest game ever, but there's no tech tree. I guess TI is baaaasically it.

I just want to play warcraft 3, but as a board game. (but also not that board game).

Im always surprised with the billions of kick starters that none of them are ever it. I guess, be the change, and all that, I should probably just design it at this point.

Runewars (which I really also like) isn’t THAT tech tree focused surely. Mostly you just build up additional resource gathering and unit deployment, plus whatever the heroes get.

Forbidden Stars has some similarities but it’s almost impossible to get (I think the designer is working on a non 40k version). The tech trees are mostly combat based but are completely different for each faction - it’s a great game. The order system in it, funnily enough, was based on the StarCraft board game.

If you want “tech trees: the game” look into Beyond the Sun. It isn’t much like Runewars but it’s another great game.

Civilization: a New Dawn with the expansion also has some similarities to Rune Wars and is also a great game that takes a third the time to play.

Possibly Space Empires 4X is another option but you need to know what you’re walking into and have someone to play it with. It takes hours to play but has everything.

Eclipse as well obviously.

I know what you mean about RTS dynamics. I don’t really find that in Runewars though. I also keep an eye out for Runewars like games - I like war games with fantasy or sci fi rather than historical themes, and I really like the area control elements of Runewars combined with the order system, seasonal structure and pseudo 4X stuff, there isn’t much like it. But neither it nor stuff like TI make me think of RTSs which have that balance of fighting over ground while frantically building up. Something like Chaos in the Old World maybe (and I understand Cthulu Wars is the modern version of that) except it feels more strategic and kind of political.

Edit: after thinking about it a bit Forbidden Stars is probably closest: combat focused, unique factions, pressure to be aggressive but balancing that with working your way up a tech tree.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

!Klams posted:

HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What do you do about the mini's though? (Please don't let the answer be what I know in my heart the answer can only be...)

I REALLY like Cthulu: Death May Die, and I got the retail version of that. I think I'd love the expansion but haven't really got the mileage out of the base yet to justify it.

I know you kinda said already, but ... honestly, like, HOW different are the different Gods? If it was 'very' instead of 'quite but it's subtle' I would actually have already bought it... Is it just that one detail between them all, that has a big impact? Or are there other subtle differences too?

Ankh is a great, great game but I didn't raise it as it is very different from Runewars - it's almost like an abstract Knizia area majority/control game, extremely strategic and pretty much no random elements. The differences between the Gods superficially doesn't look like much (e.g. all players have the same upgrade tree) but in the context of a very simple, highly interactive rule set they make a big difference. More so than many other games I can think of with nominally asymmetric factions and differentiated units/upgrades. I don't think it will give you a RTS or Runewars vibe but its a tense, strategic, fast playing and highly interactive game that's really worth a look otherwise.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Any thoughts on Ahnk as a 2p game? The merge system seems pretty divisive but 2p would remove that hurdle.

Yep I think it's that very rare DoAM game where the 2 player is as good as the 3-4 player IMO. I can see some people preferring one or the other but they are both great. Most of my games have been 2p. The game comes with a bunch of scenarios that essentially involve different board setups to scale player count. I SUSPECT some God combos might be a bit funny at 2 player but I haven't played it enough to really tell for sure. It's never felt unbalanced.

The merge is great if from turn 1 everyone understands it is going to happen and plans accordingly over the game. It particularly makes decisions (in a 4p game) between who is going to be 2nd and 3rd when the merge happens interesting and important. It also means nobody (almost) is ever out of the game. I much prefer it to either bash the leader or some catch up mechanism which renders the first half of the game pointless.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Also, instead of spending gazillions on the expansions to get all the Gods, you can just look up all their powers and play all of them with the base components. :)

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Caveat: it needs repeated plays to really shine.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Afriscipio posted:

Speaking of terrible choices: are any of the Ankh add-ons worth it? I have the retail version; the Guardians and Pantheon expansions have caught my eye.

It’s hard with Ankh because the base game has so much content and the expansions are so expensive. Here is my take:

Guardians: Guardians generally don’t have a huge impact on the overall game but are fun. They probably won’t make a game feel that different though so given the cost of the expansion, questionable value. If it was super cheap or on sale, may be worth it but don’t expect a significant shake up or rejuvenation of the game if that’s what you’re after.

Pantheon: More gods on the other hand is a much bigger deal - BUT you can go to BGG and download a list of all the Gods powers (from all expansions) and use that with your existing figure and tokens. I felt a bit guilty about doing that but it did make it really hard to justify the cost of the expansion (and additional storage for all the giant pieces).

Pharaoh: I think this is the way to go for more or a traditional expansion experience (plus I think it’s cheaper than the other two?). Genuinely new mechanics which change the game significantly. But Ankh is such a fast and clean experience I don’t know whether more stuff / maybe more chaos is a good thing - my group hasn’t gotten to this and is still fooling around with scenarios in the main book, so I don’t really have an opinion on it yet. Online some people really like it and others don’t think it really improves the game.

So basically I think Guardians and Pantheon probably come down to how much you value the plastic. More Gods is probably the best way to expand the game by far but are more giant figs worth it? Here in Australia the cost of either expansion would pay for a whole other game so I found it really hard to justify. Pharaoh i resolved to check out once we got sick of the main game but honestly big shakeup expansions I often end up not using much unless they unequivocally improve or complete the game, and I’m not confident enough Pharoah does that.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Afriscipio posted:

Thanks for the advice. More variety is probably my priority here, so if I find Pantheon on sale, I might pick it up. The game doesn't feel like it needs more mechanics, so I'll wait on the pharaoh box.

Yeah, I think the best thing for Ankh is just more Gods. It’s the key variable game to game, what they do and how they interact. While the table presence is cool for the God figurines I just couldn’t handle the cost of that expansion because I can’t get out of my head that I’d be perfectly happy with cardboard standees at like a quarter or less the cost.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I think other than Valley of the Kings the best deck builder I can think of is Quest for El Dorado, although it’s arguably not a “pure” deck builder. It’s far from multiplayer solitaire, the card market is a good mix of fixed and player chosen and the race on the map being built around blocking and efficiency mirrors the deck building dynamics really well. It’s super accessible and less experienced boardgamers will grok things like the benefits of slimming down your deck way faster than in something like Dominion. There aren’t always obvious card choices and all of them are relevant and useful, there aren’t bad choices.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I do feel like the market is oversaturated at the moment in terms of boardgames. As well as that, there has been a steady increase in monopolisation, primarily by Asmodee (they got recently bought out themselves, right?). Anecdotally, there has been very little that has truly excited me in terms of board games recently (apart from SI, and that's not a recent development), and my board game purchases have gone way down. I think that might be more because my interest have calcified, though, and I don't feel the need to buy much more than I currently have.

A well designed board game remains just as good many years after it was made and the best ones generally get reprinted, so every year I think the bar rises for genuine novelty or significant steps forward in accessibility or whatever. I think there was a ton of innovation over the past twenty years and we are now seeing increasingly marginal improvements to well established systems and game genres. Have there been better auction games than Ra, Modern Art, Chicago Express, Medici? Possibly, but it’s unlikely they are dramatically better to the same degree as those games were to their predecessors.

And when we do get something vaguely new like legacy games or roll and writes there is a burst of innovation, a flood of titles and within a couple of years usually the best iteration is going to be 90% as good as anything that follows (pandemic legacy 1, railroad ink or whatever). And chances are all of them will be a high standard in terms of rules quality, play time, player scaling etc - compared to where we were 20 years ago.

So yeah I think the golden age of boardgames is in one way over, but in another we get to experience it forever even if the truly exciting times are now past, where there were 5 genuinely outstanding games every year and a bunch of mediocre ones, rather than 50 very good games and nearly flawless games every year but none of them particularly better or dissimilar than their predecessors.

I mean, there is plenty of innovation going on and all sorts of cool stuff, it’s just that the games aren’t THAT much better than what I’ve already got, for most groups and circumstances I’m likely to play with. I have great fillers, brain burnt euros, dynamic and ever mutable co-ops, highly thematic war games etc, and all of them for every player count, level of rules complexity and playtime, basically.

Edit: have been trying to think about the most genuinely new and exciting purchase I’ve had last couple of years, and it was probably zombie teens / kids for my sons because extending a legacy mechanic into a kids game that was also fun enough for me to play was genius. Maybe Gloomhaven and Spirit Island? I didn’t like Root that much but it was probably that for other people. Almost all the other best stuff I’ve played has been reprints of older things. Maybe Ankh because it felt halfway between DoAM and a Knizia, and was a genuine surprise. But it didn’t blow me away like Kemet did when that came out.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 18, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I got JC2e too (also in Canberra) after having mostly forgotten I ordered it. Trying to work out online how well it scales with player count, anyone know if it’s good 2p or needs more people to shine?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You guys should hit me up for a game some time.

Maybe we should! Canberra is weirdly a board game Mecca compared to most other places in terms of how many stores and board gamers we have. (Probably because we're a city filled with government nerds) I was staggered when I was in the UK how few across the whole country they seemed to have, but I guess their retail has been hollowed out a lot in general by this point. I live a few minutes away from LFG in Kambah and having basically internet prices and that much stock nearby (plus all the other Canberra store options, plus CanCon etc) feels basically crazy compared to anywhere else.

Maybe John Company is a good excuse, although I have a sinking feeling looking at it it's a minimum 4+ hour game the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

an actual dog posted:

Played It's A Wonderful World recently and kind of fell in love. It's a drafting game like 7 Wonders with a really quick four rounds, that's set up so the rounds are really meaty and let you build up a little engine quickly. Not a ton of player interaction but I was hate drafting and competing with players across the table way more than in 7W.

I was wondering if anyone here has put a lot of time into it, and if it has legs after a dozen plays or so.

Yeah I’ve been playing it a bit recently too. About six plays and yes, holding up because the little sequencing puzzle in terms of production seems to give it just enough depth without slowing it down too much. Probably the other aspect of variety is it feels quite different to me at various player counts.

I have been thinking about the expansion but not sure it really needs it.