Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Zendo more like Zen no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

If anyone wants a good laugh from a normie hating on board games, here you go!

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/unpopular-opinion-why-do-people-like-board-game-nights/100671948

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

but only if they're the banker (so they can cheat)

I read that as Monopoly is the one acceptable game to continue to play. (because they can cheat)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Kazzah posted:

Well, I've been roped into Betrayal Legacy

...and it's been a lot of fun so far. I like how small the house is in the early games.

It's a fun, stupid, silly, and amazing ride. I had a blast.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I guess the Legacy is adding on to the house like the Winchester widow?

You're creating the house in the original game. It's a prequel.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Stonemaier games announced they're remaking Libertalia.

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/libertalia-winds-of-galecrest/

Not to be mistaken with rereleasing Libertalia.

Magnetic North posted:

BGG is doing another daily Black History Month list of the trad gaming space. Two very interesting people have already profiled, including one I definitely should have heard of but definitely had not.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/295404/

Fertessa is awesome. I definitely backed her Wicked and Wise and Book of Villainy Kickstarters

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 3, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Wasn't there a post a page or three ago that Libertalia was good? I was going to look into it. What should I do now?

Libertalia: Good
Stonemaier: Jamey
Libertalia: Winds of the Galecrests? Probably good but largely depends on your opinion on Jamey Stegmaier

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

Walmart has a version (better homes and garden branded I think) that isn’t rickety though idk how big they come.

This one's garbage. Once it's up, if you try and move it without taking it apart you're in for a bad time.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

El Fideo posted:

Nidavellir might have replaced Libertalia for my group.

This is an amazing recommendation to be quite honest. I'm not sure if it completely replaces Libertalia, but it sure comes close.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I really want to play a refined BSG, but Unfathomable looks really cheap (is it true FFG list all their art?). Does it feel cheap?

Honestly, I think FFG losing all their art was a huge boon for Unfathomable. It looks new, fresh, clean. It's a really good design imo

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway Mini was this past weekend and I had a blast and I played so many games.

My top 3:

For the King (and me) is a really neat auction/drafting game that reminds me a lot of For Sale. There's two rounds. In the first you draft cards by taking turns taking one, putting one in the middle to be used in round 2, and put one more per player face up in the middle of the table for other players to pick. Once the whole deck is drafted out, in round 2 you auction off the cards set aside during the drafting round, using the cards you drafted to purchase them.

Equinox is a rethemed Knizia racing game, where you bet on which fantasy creature will make it through the race. The lowest power fantasy creature each round gets eliminated until only 3 are left. Whoever put the most points worth of bets on the three left is the winner. Really fun. Might have to pick it up.

Vivid Memories reminds me a lot of Calico. Easy to learn and play, but brain burning in the decision making. Great puzzle. Not sure if it's worth buying because I already have Calico though.

The biggest disappointment:

Lizard Wizard was basically Raccoon Tycoon with extra wizardy mechanics, except it overstayed it's welcome by about an hour. Way too long for what it was, and the game didn't change much from the first 30 minutes onwards. Definitely a good game in there, but the length was just too much.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the TG industry thread:

Phil Eklund is at it again with a long thread full of "definitions" for political viewpoints that are, in his opinion, undefined. So that's fun.

https://twitter.com/SeanFranco_/status/1493245292690485259

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Fortunately for me, I don't like Phil Eklund style games in general so no FOMO here.

In more happy news, I received this in the mail today and it couldn't have been better timed.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Any goons tried New Bedford? It seems like a cute worker placement game where players control what buildings get added rather than getting more workers.

I played it a while back and remember enjoying it well enough. Thought about picking it up a few times but never did.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't had much news to share about my game, Heckin Hounds, in a while. Pre-production is happening, and my publisher's finishing the files to send to the printer.

Meanwhile, a Board Game Arena dev messaged us wanting to develop the BGA version of the game and I couldn't be more excited. We might be in alpha as early as this weekend? Either way, it'll be soon!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't gotten many board games to the table lately, but I have been playing Heckin Hounds on BGA. The alpha officially launched yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

My friends and I are planning a secluded cabin getaway next month for a weekend of board games and I honestly can't wait. I'll finally be able to get Unfathomable to the table, and possibly a few other recent acquisitions.

The best acquisition I got recently was Anna's Roundtable, a Fire Emeblem Fan Game. I honestly went in on this expecting that it was going to get cease and desisted. It amazingly made it out and now I have an awesome tactical board game :dance:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh wow. I looked it up and it really does just include fire emblem in its name and description and character designs and names are taken whole cloth. How the hell did they get away with selling it? Nintendo's lawyers are super trigger happy so I'm surprised that something so brazen is being sold without getting taken down.

Exactly. I have no idea how it managed to get by, but I'm glad I have it. The production is great.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Amabel Holland is her name.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 29, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Isn't it Amabel? And I thought the Holland was a discord joke due to her company's name.

Amabel is correct. Autocorrect hosed me. But, no Holland is her real last name.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Finally got to play The Field of the Cloth of Gold tonight ( with the designer :smug: ) and I immediately want to order my own copy. It's amazing how every decision you make in the game feels like a bad one, but, that's the game. It's great!

I lost, though, with end game scoring basically ruining my clever plans. I'm eager to play it again though, and explore the decision space some more now that I see how it works. The strategy was hard to figure out just by reading the rules and hearing the teach. At first it feels counter intuitive to be giving something to your opponent when you take your turn, but there's something wonderful about trying to figure out what would help them the least.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

homullus posted:

I suspect that at a high level, with two equally-skilled players

Personally, I will never play a game at a high level with equally skilled players. That's just not interesting to me, and I don't think most games are designed with that in mind. The vast majority of players are not in those categories, so when a game degenerates under those circumstances I don't see it as a flaw. I certainly don't design my games with that in mind.

I feel like arguments like this really do a disservice to games that are built to be fun and entertaining. Field largely does what it says on the tin, and that's what is interesting to me. When you only have a choice of two terrible things, both of which involve stabbing yourself in with a knife, what do you choose?

Yeah, drawing tiles is super powerful. So don't let your opponent draw tiles. But you have to let your opponent draw tiles. That's the game.
Gold is super powerful, so don't give your opponent gold. But you have to give your opponent gold. That's the game.

Looking back on my first play, the biggest mistake I made was underestimating how much end game scoring matter, which frankly I do in a lot of games.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

homullus posted:

Sure, I agree. There are no games that I play at a highly-skilled level either. By "high level" I meant "macro" or "high-altitude," looking at it in a broad/overall way. I am sorry I chose a misleading phrase.

Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding then! I went on a rant for no reason!

I just see takes like that all the time and it rankles me. Talking about balance in board games gets me going.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My friends and I almost all share mid April to early may birthdays, so we try to get together at an airbnb to play boardgames for a big birthday weekend celebration.

This year we got a cabin just off the Illinois River.

Friday evening was primarily party games: For the King (and Me), Insider, Welcome To..., and Wavelenth

Saturday was Quacks of Quedlinberg, Architects of the West Kingdom, Equinox, The King's Dilemma, Unfathomable, Just One, and Fool!

We made it 12+ distance, but ultimately the hybrids won. Honestly it's a huge improvement over BSG both in theme and mechanics. Definitely putting my copy of BSG and it's expansions on the Geek Market.

On Saturday we also made homemade sushi.

Today we finished our King's Dilemma campaign, which was a vaguely anticlimactic ending but really fun none the less. I can't wait for Queen's Dilemma, then played 7 Wonders: Architects.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

djfooboo posted:

gently caress that’s alotta sushi

Frankly it was an obscene amount of sushi. And we ate it all.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Discovered just how much Battlestar Galactica is selling for. Apparently the Daybreak expansion is hard to get, because it's going for $600 alone. What the gently caress. Definitely going to try and sell my set.

Unfathomable is just better in every way, unless you're just like, really into the sci-fi theme I guess?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Played a bunch of stuff at Geekway to the West this past week.

So Clover might be a new favorite party game. My only complaint is that scoring is nebulous and consists only of "beat your previous score for your number of players" which is less fun than Just One and Wavelength having a silly congratulatory statement. So relatively minor complaint overall.

Riverside is a great roll and write about trying to please guests on a cruise ship. I definitely want to pick this one up and introduce it to my sister and brother-in-law who met on a cruise ship.

Libertalia: Winds of the Galecrest is a complete improvement over the basic Libertalia, which is one of my favorite higher player count games. The only downside to it over the original is 6 players instead of 7, which for my group is totally fine.

Beyond that I got to play Amabel Holland's new train game prototype, Dinosaur Gauge, which is about Victorian dinosaurs in top hats and monocles running train routes and manufacturing and shipping lines. Absolutely loved it, despite getting schooled by both her and a 12 year old.

Lastly I played like 8 play tests of my own new prototype, Line Go Up, and I think it might be close to finished. It's at the 95% design mark if I had to guess. Essentially it's a satirical look at cryptocurrency. It's an economic simulator where you spend gold on useless, worthless cryptocurrencies and can't get gold back out. Every turn FOMO forces you and your friends to buy into fictitious cryptocurrencies and each player tries their best to lose as little as possible. Most gold at the end of the game wins.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

I dunno what they're saying, both versions play 6.

I thought the original was 7 players. My bad!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Do I recall hearing somewhere that Gil Hova is a dick?

Yes. Yes he is.

I posted a while back on one of the facebook boardgame designers groups and this was his response:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't fully understand his response out of context, but it sounds like he's just kind of a dipshit rather than being actively toxic?

Sorry, the question I posed for the group was how to make an abstract euro inclusive and diverse, when it's mostly pushing cubes. I was looking for solutions to make my games say they're for everyone, rather than just appealing to the white straight cishet male euro gamer demographic.

It's incredibly dismissive to say that queer people don't like games about scores and winning.
It's incredibly hosed up to say that transgender people want magic estrogen patches that improve productivity.

A lot of it is just willful ignorance, and really frustrating.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Mayveena posted:

I feel like your conclusion is a big reach. I’d suggest separating the bad from the good and working to get more good and less bad. Gil Hova has been designing for a long time in this space and he might have something to offer.

You're not wrong, and a whole lot of the thread that came from was garbage and nearly drove me to quit... Hova's statements were just a wave in a sea of nonsense.

I haven't had the "opportunity" for lack of a better word, to actually converse with him, and my thoughts on that thread have largely lessened over the past few years as I've become more comfortable with my place in the greater industry. I also haven't had the opportunity to really talk about this with anyone besides a few close friends.

I wouldn't be opposed to having that conversation with him, but I also haven't gone out of my way to try either. Take that as you will.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Mayveena posted:

That makes sense to me. If you don’t need him and have experienced people you’re dealing with and are happy with him then gently caress him. It all depends on what you’re looking for to be successful. My point was that he didn’t seem like MAGA so maybe if you questioned him and sought to get him to clarify his words, that he might still work for you.

White people can be very very clueless at times, but I have found that having an open discussion can help.

For sure. At the time I made the post, I hardly knew anyone "in the industry" and especially not in the realm of making inclusive and diverse designs. Things have changed a lot in the last 4 years though. I'm still learning who my friends are in the industry, and that's really hard given the sheer amount of "dipshits" that are vaguely on the side of being problematic and separating them from the truly toxic and vile people I want nothing to do with.

Trying to figure out who truly has my best interests at heart has been difficult, especially as I look for publishers for my next two designs.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a board game table recommendation? I hear they aren't too hard to build from some of the plans online and are much cheaper, but I don't think I can get a friend with the tools or time to help.

Looking for one with the recessed felt/vinyl play area plus a topper. The larger Jasper from boardgametables.com could work but $1400 is a lot especially when this hobby will dwindle in two months with a newborn.

I thought maybe there could be Memorial Day sales since lots of furniture goes on sale but this is a nerd product so...

I still sing the praises of my table from Carolina Game Tables, though those are "pricey" still too (when I got it, they were a fraction of the cost of competing tables, but with other makers in the price range they're just comparable now). The thing I like about CGT is that it feels more like a piece of furniture, than a game table. I rarely use it as a game table. It's my actual dining room table, and it works great for that. But when I want to game? I can pull the top off and reveal a gaming surface. I love it for that.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Azran posted:

Has anyone ever heard of Horizons? BGG link It's a 3X space game from Daily Magic Games from 2018. A local publisher began distributing it today here and I'd like to hear some goon opinions on it.

I played it once or twice and really enjoyed it. Not my usual style of game but it was really fun.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Hey, when did Heckin Hounds get added to BGA? I forget who here made it but grats, random goon.

That's me! It's a really great implementation too! The developer did an awesome job on it.

I also just got the pre-production prototype in yesterday and it's amazing!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Surprise early delivery of Puzzle Strike II. The Magic Scepter is AMAZING. I'm dying.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Played some great games, old favorites and new arrivals, today with my friends.

Arcana Rising - Great card drafter about schools of arcane magic! We actually played this twice. Very unique in that there is a active reason to discard cards. You either keep a card, to add it to your tableau or discard to activate part of your tableau. So hate drafting is really interesting, as you're picking the most valuable card to your opponents as to what should be discarded. There's never a point that you're "taking" a card just to hate draft, as it's actually doing something for you and doesn't feel like a worse action. I'm not sure I'd call it better than 7 Wonders or It's a Wonderful World, but if you're into card drafters it does some really cool things.

Overboss - Building a Link to the Past style overworld map! Apparently this is similar to Cascadia, and while my friends said they liked Cascadia better it's a great game with a great theme. Basically you take a pair of tiles from an offer, and add that tile to your map. Scoring is positional and set collectiony. Slightly annoying to score, but so are most point salad tile games.

Architects of the West Kingdom - My favorite of the Occupation of the Directional Place series. Worker placement where the more times you take an action the more valuable it gets, until your workers get arrested and sent to prison by your friends for gathering too much. For once I managed to play and not run out of workers a single time! I still lost though. Did I mention I'm bad at board games?

Cosmic Encounter - When all five of my friends group is together, we have to play this. It's become a tradition for every board game day. My buddy curates our experiences each time. It blows my mind how much content this game has. Rarely will a game about negotiation go well in my games group. Especially one that can be as cutthroat and unpredictable as Cosmic. Love it!

Libertalia - Winds of the Galecrest - Say what you will about Stonemaier games, this is an amazing redo of Libertalia. I'll literally never play the original again. This fixes so many little problems while adding more variability between games. Love being pirates and doing pirate things! Another surprisingly mean game for my game group though.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Double posting because it's time for everyone's favorite segment: Intellectual Property Disputes in Board Gaming: Plagiarism Edition!

https://twitter.com/connorjwake/status/1583851016365428736?t=QWLZTxL4knB3ze4A0y-UvA&s=19

ohsh Connor is great. that really sucks to see this happening :(

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Hollandspeile's Hollandays sale started today! I ordered Dinosaur Gauge and Heading Forward, which also gets me a copy of the freebie game Watch Out! That's a Dracula!.

I'm very excited to play all three.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Got my Wingspan Nesting Box today and it's HUGE

So many birds. So much room for activities.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I try not to talk much about my own projects in this thread, but today I got an e-mail from Kickstarter confirming some of the most exciting news in my design career. My first game, Heckin Hounds, is officially in production.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527566924/heckin-hounds/posts/3679353

It's really exciting, and I've known every step of the way has been progress towards that end goal of having a published game. Every step so far has been the most exciting news in my design career. It's like that Lord of the Rings video where they cut "This is the farthest I've been from the shire" into every step Sam takes

But at some point I'll arrive at my destination. A maximum distance from malaise to excitement. Just like Sam and Frodo's journey taking them a maximum distance from the Shire, assuming middleearth is a round world like earth is? Some big LOTR fan is going to jump in here I'm sure.

I'm not sure that every release can be more exciting than the last, and the first might be the most exciting. We'll find out as I do more in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Apparently Stonemaier Games ended up with an extra copy of the Viticulture Wine Crate, and offered to sell it to someone in their Discord server, so I snapped it up.

It came signed by Jamey, which imo is pretty cool. I know he has a bit of a bad reputation in some circles (either be because of their opinions on him or his games) but he's a good guy IRL and I've met and had conversations with him a few times.

He even gave me a quote for Heckin Hounds, and made a youtube video about it's prototype, Walking Doggos.

So this is pretty cool. I'm stoked.