Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wow! Wish I had this OP when I started 20 years ago :grandpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mayveena posted:

...the 2nd edition Great Western Trail now has Black engineers (anti historical yes, but when it comes to representation, having them there is important)...

This is great to hear, but he decided to not go with black cowboys which is both inclusive and historical? Or maybe you don't see pictures of cowboys besides the box cover, IDK never played?

edit: gently caress you COVID, what a miserable year for gaming. A few party games missing, but otherwise complete:

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 4, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My family just calls Farkle “Dice” and we have some wonky house rules that official Farkle doesn’t have. My favorite is double doubles rerolls a bust. Also I have played with people who say you must take all 1,5’s which is the worst way to play because 5’s are garbage and should only be taken to keep rolling.

Edit: Farkle is chill, its Bunko that can die in a fire. The only depth of decision is whether to cheat or not, god that “game” blows.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Ascension 10th Anniversary Edition worth getting?

Nope. Play digitally if you must play.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Radioactive Toy posted:

Here's the article if anyone else wants to read.

This article just made me want cooler gems for Bullet <3, not PzlStrk2

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lacerda’s are great “my friend owns it games” since they are too much shelf volume/dollars for game payout IMO.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Would be better as an app. Looks too RNG to bother to me.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I look at game plastic as not bad because it isn’t single use plastic like those stoppers in a coffee or something. It is a durable good that can be theoretically enjoyed many times by many people. Now packaging material used in games drives me nuts. When I unpacked my StreetMasters all in I was disgusted at the vacuum pack plastics in my garbage can.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Speaking of For Sale, any trip reports on the new For Sale expansion? Does it overcomplicate the simple elegance?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

So I'm not a huge Dice Tower/Tom Vassel fan, but they've recently done their Top 100 Games of All Time list and Ark Nova is Tom's #1 - which is a pretty big loving call, seeing how it only released last year, and likely a huge loving boost to its popularity.

Gonna go watch a bunch of videos on it tomorrow I think.

Wow, didn’t expect that outcome. It’s been on my radar.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Azran posted:

I see the Anniversary Edition of Castles of Burgundy comes with a lot of extra expansions and promo stuff (player mats, Geese tiles, Inns, etc). Which ones should I use and which ones should I forget about?

As someone who own nearly all the promos from the 1st printing edition. I reccomend playing them one at a time. But if I were to rank the amt of fun it would be this:

1. Team Game
2. Trade Routes
3. New Tiles, but especially promo 1 tiles
4. Solo
5. New boards
6. Everything else

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Hilariously a 3x3 does not exist in Australia, but it definitely does exist on the IKEA US site.

Weird. It's like the perfect size for what I want (just low enough for my cat to have a shelf to lay on)

I see plenty of off-brand Kalaxes in 3x3. All Big Box stores have em in the states. Likely there is an Aussie off-brand version? I use the Better Homes and Gardens ones and they have survived two multi state moves no problems. They even have “wood” grain which I prefer to black/white/gloss from ikea.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am seriously becoming a Capstone fanboy. What is the guess on the next Iron Rails?

CAPSTONE GAMES NEWSLETTER interesting bits I picked out posted:

New Products on the Horizon

Terra Mystica: Big Box is coming and we’ll have a separate announcement for this wonderful product alongside the Watergate: White Box and Riftforce Beyond expansion announcement!

A new card game in collaboration with our partners at dlp Games (the creators of Orleans) will also be debuting in the summer this year.

The next installment in the Iron Rail series is also coming together and will be announced this quarter.

Last year we teased our new 2-player card driven game from Robert DeLeskie. Based on the famous Siege of Vienna in 1683, the game is nearly finished with graphic design and we’ll be releasing more information on it soon.

An expansion for Curious Cargo featuring a new way to play the game and a solo mode will also be revealed later this year.

All in all, a wonderful and exciting start to 2022. We hope you and your family are happy, healthy, and playing lots of games 😊

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If only they could find that drat great heartland hauling promo I have wanted forever :saddowns:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Back for a buck is my M.O. I will back a huge project for a buck just to ride the wave with no intention of buying, just to get updates pushed to my email and be informed.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Can’t you just discard cards face up in Aeon’s End to make card counting take less brainpower?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

They've done them plenty of times before, usually just adapting a license to another of their games though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dead by daylight game ends up sharing its game design skeleton with another future L99 project like Seventh Cross.

Seventh Cross was shelved indefinitely. I wonder if it was shelved for this? :tinfoil:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Unless you think anthropomorphic creatures edge towards furrydom I would recommend libertalia preorder for sure. Paolo Moro has some hits and I consider this his #1.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Where are my solo gamers at? Talk to me about my options.

Have you heard about our Lord and Savior Spirit Island?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

In other news, Frosthaven will be $250 MSRP because it's a colossus of a game:

Crowdfunding was $160 for the whole thing. Sorry to the Kickstarter haters :smuggo:

Looking around, Cepholophair has 30% discount off MSRP and was as high as 40% off. So as long as you aren't FOMO or they do MAP shenanigans you are looking at $175-$150 which seems VERY resaonable compared to some of the KS All-In dreck at even higher prices.

I am waiting for a 2nd printing myself because I know there will be errors in 1st printing, plus I want the book version so hopefully there will be news on that once they hit print on the base stuff.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Did you ever hear of the legend of Broken Loose the wise? It's not a story the thread regulars would tell you. It's a TG BG thread legend. Broken Loose was a good poster of the thread, so powerful and so wise he could use Fun to influence the thread and create arguments… He had such a knowledge of the thread, he could even keep the games he cared about from being forgotten.

The tale of the cereal boxes

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

El Fideo posted:

Cereal boxes was Rutibex, run out of this thread for transphobia, nowadays having lame opinions in the dungeons and dragons thread.

Oh, sincerest apologies to the falsely accused.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Those BGG tokens for quacks are nice, but the faces wear out so quick for such a high priced item. They need a thicker lacquer or something.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sorry for Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/e3qgzo/anyone_elses_upgraded_quacks_bits_starting_to_wear/

In my search I also saw people say this issue was fixed in subsequent printings. That particular thread was 2 yrs old.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just got :science: Cosmic Frog! :frogdowns: Now to convince everyone to play a mean game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Unlock found their rhythm. They are good nowadays.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

and why is the box triple the size

You must be new to crowdfunding. Bigger = Better. Obvious math.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

More ammo to show my wife why I need a 3D printer :getin:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

TI is measured in meals. Usually the meals are brunch then supper. Breaks help a ton.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Armauk posted:

I have Wingspan, and organization is a pain. Those inserts look great. Do you have STL files you can share specific to Wingspan?

If you like Wingspan enough to stay UTD on expansions this is on the horizon:
https://stonemaiergames.com/games/wingspan/wingspan-nesting-box/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

IRT ColorBlindness and accessibility, I was very saddened when meeplelikeus went on hiatus. Their near academic deconstruction on accessibility was my kind of inside baseball as someone with lifelong color blindness frustrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Siivola posted:

Would you guys recommend the 7 Wonders Duel expansions?

If you are bored with strategic horizons, yes. Otherwise it’s an easy pass to buy another small box game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hempuli posted:

What's the biggest, most game-affecting rule misread/fumble that you've

Not doing the turn zero spirit Island bad things happen phase for 2 games. Was wondering why it was so easy…

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Leraika posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for physically small and rules light games? And when I say physically small, I mean 'can fit into a standard purse'. I've usually got Tussie Mussie on hand, but wouldn't mind some more options (anyone have any experience with Button Shy's other games?).

If you carry a purse like my grandma you could fit 2x TtR size boxes :v:

Also, I suggest Hanamikoji. Especially the boys love version as a good 1v1.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

That is a Large BoardGameTables.com playmat from their recent KS.

You can order directly from their website
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-playmat

I'm very happy with it.

Concur very happy with BGT large game mat. I even got mine for free from a contest so it’s double love :love:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress that’s alotta sushi

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Because I use rules such as limited resource hoarding in limited resource games or hate drafting to my advantage my wife thinks that is scummy :shrug:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A 25th Faction for Twilight Imperium 4th Ed.!!!

That is Print and Play :saddowns:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/4/28/the-council-awaits/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just bought ArkNova on a whim purely because it is so divisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That cool rear end Lost Ruins of Arnak insert edging me ever closer to a 3D printer.