Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I am looking forward to Undaunted: Callisto. Everyone I know who has played the various WW2 versions love them, but the sci-fi setting is just more appealing to me. I am also curious to see how Arcs turns out, since I am a big fan of Werle's other games (or at least Root and Oath).

Otherwise, most of the games I want are just wider distribution and reprints of games that came out last year (Witcraft!, Sky Team).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

There is also that Star Trek: Into the Unknown game coming later this year. Which seems like it will be expensive as poo poo ($150 MSRP). Wonder if it will feel and look as cheap as the normal WizKid product.

Screaming_Gremlin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 18, 2024

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

So the external pitch for Arcs is "Leder and Wehrle in SPAAAAAAAAAACE"

Thanks for the overview. I think this is the game I am most looking forward to this year. Although speaking of Wehrle, I am disappointed that I didn't get a chance to play Molly House when I was at PAX East last weekend. They had a copy of it, but of the two people I was with, only 1 was interested in playing it. I think the other person would be interested in the final game, but the early prototype turned him off.

I did get the chance to play a demo of Compile that is being published by Greater Than Games this summer. It is a 2 player competitive card game where you are trying to build enough influence/points on three different lanes before your opponent. If you can do so and compile the lane, you wipe out all the cards and influence they had on the lane. The cards you play all have different abilities that allow you to disrupt what your opponent is doing. Hard to say how good it will be off a single demo, but I was starting to grasp the different ways cards could play off of each other by the end. For a $20 game, I figure it worth giving it a shot. If nothing else, it has really nice art.

Otherwise, we mainly played a bunch of games we had missed over the years. I really enjoyed Cascadia and can understand why everyone finds it enjoyable. Welcome To was fun, although somehow I have never really played any modern roll and writes (flip and writes?), so the novelty probably helped.

On the other hand, I was not a fan of Thunder Road: Vendetta. I am all for a dumb game where you chuck some dice and cause chaos, but triggering the end condition for a 3 player game was very annoying. We all got down to 1 car, but we couldn't manage to eliminate a player. It caused the game to go on for 15 - 20 minutes longer than was fun and we were just glad when it finally ended. It sounds like the expansions might have fixed that, but I can't say I have any interest in finding out.

I did pick up a copy of Wyrmspan, as well as Castles of Burgundy that I have somehow avoided playing. I am looking forward to getting them to the table. My friend grabbed a copy of Furnace, which I am also looking forward to playing.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

Oath Expansion Kickstarting later this month. Going on the very short list of games I buy expansions for without having gotten the original to the table.

Really going to be curious where they go with the expansion. I played a one off of Oath a while ago, which I know is not how it is really intended. That being said I still had fun with it. I am excited that we recently settled on a group of 4 of us that I think have the right mindset to get multiple playthroughs, which we are planning for next month.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'll never be surprised that post-Azmodee FFG hasn't done something. Who would do the work? Place is gutted.

When I originally started paying board games seriously, FFG was probably my favorite publisher. For various life reason (friends moving away and having kids), our group fell apart for almost a decade. When we started up seriously again a year or two ago it was depressing to find out what Asmodee had done to FFG.

Also, I forgot just how bad some of the FFG rulebooks were written back then. I think Rodney Smith, Before you Play, and JonGetsGames has completely spoiled me by providing clean video explanations of games to go along with the rulebook. It is a trip going back to something a decade ago that has like 1 video on youtube, shot in 480p with no presentation skills at all. Then just the 30+ page wall of text rulebook from FFG.

But whatever, it was worth it to play Chaos again. I loved that game back then and I still love it now. Like others, I never owned Horned Rat. For some reason, I remember it being hard to find even then. Also sad I never got around to buying the Daybreak expansion for BSG. It is worth so much money now. But realistically, we barely touched the 2nd expansion. The base game + Pegasus was our preferred way to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Have you ever looked at the Arkham Horror LCG? It’s a nicely modernized version of the classic board game with tons of content available.

I actually do enjoy Arkham Horror LCG quite a bit. That being said, I think I am up to the second expansion cycle right now. Sadly, that is one that I have had to play solo, since the rest of my friends are allergic to even trying anything that resembles a collectable card game. The one friend who is an exception, instead went all in on Marvel Champions. Who knows, if I give them all pre-built decks to play, I think they might try it. Weirdly, Arkham Horror 2nd Edition (talk about a nightmare rulebook) is what got us playing board games in the first place.

Although I am interested that the lead developer of AH: LCG just left FFG to takeover Earthborne Rangers. I haven't played it yet, but I did back the crowdfunding of the reprint and expansion.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I never got Daybreak either. The cylon warrior minis look so cool, I love the plastic base stars that came with one of the other expansions.

The basestar mini was in the Pegasus expansion, and yes, they look so much cooler than the cardboard ones that came with the base game.