Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Hempuli posted:

quote:

Invest in infrastructures to try to figure out the minis.

Is there an AI that generates better business plans for Kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

FulsomFrank posted:

I enjoyed Nemesis but the colour scheme they used I think while thematically appropriate is really annoying to look at and I recall it being difficult to do a quick glance at the board and tell the difference between things. I will admit I played it in someone's backyard and the sun was kinda making it tough to see everything perfectly but it's something that stuck with me.

Also the cards just completely dissolve into pulp as soon as you touch them. Granted, I did play it in the bathtub.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some board games that have been effectively "solved"? I'm not sure of a better word for it. Basically any kind of game where if a player follows an exact set of instructions will always end up winning.
Solved is the correct word, although there's different degrees of being solved, and usually the method of winning (or drawing) is not following by a simple list of instructions but by mathematically determining the best branch of a vast decision tree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solved_game

Checkers is the most complex game that is fully solved (with perfect play by both players it ends in a draw). Tournament checkers play uses slightly altered starting positions, which have not been solved.

A Few Acres of Snow as Glagha mentioned is probably the best example of a modern board game with an overly dominant strategy, although I think more recently people finally figured out how to counter it to some degree. Truly solving a game of any complexity requires a ton of math and computation, which is made more difficult by setup variance and randomness.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Jewmanji posted:

Has anyone received their Riverfolk Hirelings pack for Root? If so, can you tell me what the "3 Tarot Cards" listed on the back of the box are? There was nothing in mine, and Google/BGG/Youtube unboxings are of no help. It's not listed on the component list on the website either: https://ledergames.com/products/root-riverfolk-hirelings-pack

Anyway, Marauders arrived. It's beautiful. Keepers in Iron seem a bit unwieldy, rules-wise, but Lord of the Hundreds looks really clever and fun. Looking forward to finally having some satisfying 2-player play with the hirelings.

They're in the second photo on that link, it's the actual cards for the hirelings. If you bought multiple things on the kickstarter, odds are they're packaged with the other hireling cards.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
If you memorize all the components of a game, you can throw them away and then just represent everything with a single set of numbered chits.

Here is a game of Argent in progress:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

FirstAidKite posted:

If this discussion wasn't all an excuse to get someone to say "counterfeit COINs" before, then it is now

The CO is already short for counter, so you can just say COfeitIN

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

WhiteHowler posted:

However, I'm looking for something I can bring that will be more of an experience than a board game. Something that can last all week (we'll be there five days) without occupying too much of our more traditional gaming time, or as a one-shot thing that won't be too heavy.

The Enigma Emporium "Wish You Were Here" postcard puzzles are pretty good, I did a set of them in a group of 7 or 8 people at a game weekend once and they were a fun hour or two. There are 5 postcards, so we had to double up a little, but some of the puzzles were conducive to having multiple people working on them anyway, and easy to pass around. They're mostly cypher-based puzzles with a couple extra steps such as using specialized knowledge or internet research and carefully examining the artwork, so there's some broad appeal for people that aren't particularly interested in cyphers. There's also a story to tease out and a main puzzle to solve at the end.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Jewmanji posted:

5 and above is pretty unplayable. However unlike Bottom Liner I actually think 3 is the sweet spot. 2 and 4 are good too but 3 strikes the best balance for me.

I can conceive of a scenario in which 5 or 6 would be OK, but it would require that 1. Everybody already had experience playing and was familiar with every faction, and 2. Everyone takes quick turns, no one has AP, and everyone is the exact right amount engaged where they care what's happening in game but are not impatient for their own turn to come around. I've never experienced either of these situations in a 5 or 6 player game though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Sometimes you are torn between playing board games with friends and playing Slay the Spire by yourself. Now you can play Slay the Spire by yourself AND play a board game!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Did you know that by switching to aluminum siding you can cut your heating bill by up to 50 percent or more? Hi, I'm Merson Meeples and I own and manage Merson Meeples' Discount Aluminium Siding.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Tekopo posted:

I do honestly think that Puzzle Strike and Codex are good iterations on the formula, and they do add interesting layers to the games that they take inspiration from. Yomi is wholy unique, unless you count taking inspiration from Rock Paper Scissors as something notable. Like I'm not even a huge stan for Sirlin but saying that all of his designs are copies without any iteration on the formula just helps him to label people as haters. Hate him for when he's really a poo poo.

Can we hate him when he's a poo poo, and then just keep hating him because

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Every game is an engine building game and every game is an auction game.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
If someone steals the Sceptor, they can then include any kind of trades they want as part of the citizenship offer.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I'm pretty sure his kids are not exactly the same age as him.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Of the tens of thousands of cardboard tokens I have punched out, I have slightly torn the art on perhaps 3. Yet I have never punched a token without fear of tearing it.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Magnetic North posted:

What comes to mind when I hear this is: concatenation instead of integration. That's what Lacerda games look like to me, from outside anyway. A concatenation of disparate mechanisms instead of the integration of them together into systems. I still have never played one of his so maybe they don't play like that. Just saying how they look when I read the rules or see gameplay, etc.

Trickerion is an example of both concatenation and integration that I have played once in the before time. To my recollection, most of the game is pretty well integrated, but the mini game of making patterns with tiles to create tricks or whatever is completely bolted on. The game was done and the concatenated that system onto it.

The worst expansion I have ever bought is the one for Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and it suffers from this problem. It has 3 'modules' you add in: Secret passages and moats are just kind of lame, but the third is the most concatenated rear end system I've ever played with. Random rooms come with a random colored token, and if you buy the room you get the token, and then you score by collecting sets of colored tokens. It's so generic you could literally bolt that system on to any game ever made.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Pvt. Parts posted:

Definitely if you love a game enough you can sit on that box for years until you do find that group for the game, but the real hard work is not finding that perfect game, it's curating a collection of people who enjoy the stuff you enjoy.

A good friend will play your games sometimes, but a great friend fits on your Kallax.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
"For Sale"

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

silvergoose posted:

It's presumably neither 10 days in the USA nor travel blog, both of which share some of what you described but I don't think are correct.

10 Days in the USA is very close, although it's from 2003. It does include a game board, but the board is just a reference map and it can be played without it if you know your geography or want a challenge. It doesn't have scoring though, it's just a race to finish your connections first.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Always make sure to properly moisten your games before playing.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Impermanent posted:

what can this statement possibly mean in a vacuum. there's no difference between playing a card to do an action and paying 2 resources to do an action. there's no difference between activating a bonus structure to take a second action and waiting until the reed action fills up with extra reeds to save an action.

there's no difference between racing to a set score of victory points versus racing to control four different areas on a nodal map.

They have played us for absolute fools

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

SettingSun posted:

I give people an impromptu interview like giving them a personality test while I mentally exclude games from my library like a game of Guess Who
You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise crawling towards you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. It will be worth 3 points per adjacent completed city at the end of the game.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

more like

terrible

at

forming

hands

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

PopZeus posted:

Are there other games that have a final scoring twist like High Society? Specifically, that the player with the least money at the end is disqualified from winning regardless of their VPs. There’s such interesting tension in trying to spend to get the most points while not spending TOO much lest you just lose the whole game.
Livingstone is a relatively forgettable game where whenever you gain money, you can secretly drop some into your donation box, and whoever has the least in their donation box at the end can't win.

Lords of Xidit has 3 scoring categories that are evaluated in sequence, with the last place player in each of the first two categories being eliminated immediately. The winner is whichever of the non-eliminated players has the high score in the third category.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

I recreated that hideous yellow tile look in 1 click in photoshop :lol:

It makes perfect sense that a deluxe Splotter would have worse graphic design.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I tend to graciously lose a game when I am teaching the rules to someone. After congratulating the winner on their good play, I offer a rematch, maybe with a friendly wager to keep it interesting.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wanting some input if anyone could spare a moment. So to provide some background, my parents, my partner and I often play the copy of Tsuro I gave my parents years ago, as it's a super chill tile-laying game. Mostly playing it standard/as intended, but we tend to play a few rounds each time we catch up and often the final play or two will be a gimmick round to shake things up. (e.g. 'one tile only' where you have one tile in your hand, not the usual amount)

I'm just wondering though, if there are other similar games that don't force too much complexity or time-per-play on the player. I've played Seas of Tsuro (IIRC?) before with other people, which could be good if it comes with enough standard tiles to be able to ignore the special ones (and the accompanying dice rules) most of the time, so that we don't have to deal with the storm tiles unless we're feeling it. But it's not too highly regarded, I gather. Ships are cool, though

Other than that though, I'm not sure... I'm aware that they made a phoenix-themed Tsuro, but I remember someone in here mentioning that it's quite bad. More importantly, I also noticed a game called Indigo at a store recently, which looks similar? Not sure how similar though - BGG has it rated at about the same weight. Would this be worth getting, maybe? Otherwise, not sure... I wouldn't mind some additional (preferably optional) rules to spice things up a little, but my parents definitely lean towards sticking with what they know, for the most part. (So ideally, we'd probably start each session with a very 'vanilla'/Tsuro-esque game, then in subsequent plays spice it up in different ways)

You could try Bites without using the power tiles or special rules cards. It's a pretty simple and short game even with those.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Zoo Vadis does 7 players as well, which is a bit of a rarity

OG looks like rear end

Love the Fondue Fountains
Are those statues all casting shadows in different directions?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Yea just proxy it with ordinary playing cards. Then you can sleeve those.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Pryce posted:

Another fun variant is “spend some time after the case absolutely dunking on what a lovely detective Holmes is for ignoring obvious leads and not following clues in front of him.”

We rant at what a terrible job he did for 10-15 minutes after each case and we feel great about how we did because of that.
I can skip to the end and read the answer, whereas Holmes is trapped in the linear mode of the fiction, so I am the superior detective.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Jolo posted:

I got Mysterium for Christmas and it looks fun but I'm not following the 3 player rules change.

The rules say that each guesser controls two psychics instead of one. That sounds a little funky because then each player has to keep track of two different sets of cards that they've already guessed.

The initial setup also has card counts for different psychic counts including only 1 or 2 psychics even though the rules also say for each player to control 2 psychics. So, it's kinda unclear whether to use the 4 psychics setup or the 2 psychics (2 players) setup.

So, I'm curious. If you've played this 3 player, 1 ghost 2 players guessing, how did you play? I'm probably overthinking this because the difference is just 1-2 extra card choices.

2 players/2 psychics is fine, number of cards is a difficulty tweak more than anything, so use fewer for your first game and see how it feels. Also ditch the Clairvoyance tokens, they weren't present in the original version of the game and feel like they detract from it.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I don't understand any of these alignment charts.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

PRADA SLUT posted:

the most ingenious design in gloomhaven is the way they hide the fact that you’re just doing a procedure over and over and not really playing a game and they maintain the bamboozle long enough to sucker people to vote it up on bgg before they drop it or realize the truth and forget to update the rating
I thought I was doing an activity but it was just a series of procedures.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Carillon posted:

Maybe! I remember it as a story where a designer gathered a lot of data about balance or factions. But when the data was released along with the conclusions, I think the conclusions were the opposite of what the data showed. Not sure if that tracks your story?
Tapestry had some really rough balance problems, and I vaguely remember the initial rebalancing errata were way off.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Mousetrap

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Azran posted:

Thoughts on Suburbia?

Suburbia is ok, and if the theme appeals to you I don't think I've played a better city building board game. However, the followup game Castles of Mad King Ludwig is mechanically similar but does almost everything better, so if you aren't married to the city theme then I'd recommend that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

!Klams posted:

Any recommendations for games where you pick a faction, and like Twilight Imperium or Eclipse, that faction has loads of unique abilities / upgrades / techs etc?

Thinking stuff like, Spirit Island, Starcraft (and so also Forbidden Stars), Ankh, Runewars etc?

Root and Vast are pretty asymmetrical if that's what you're looking for.

Mage Knight has unique skill tiles for each character and one or two unique cards in each character's deck. If you're ok with co-op games there's a lot more like this - Gloomhaven, Descent, a bunch of other dungeon crawling games I can't remember.

Theseus: The Dark Orbit has unique factions and upgrades, I'm not sure if it's any good though. I played it once and was unsure if I was playing correctly.