Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aggro posted:

I posit that the OP does not have enough Vlaada.

Galaxy Trucker is the game that got my wife to finally like board games. The ship building part of the game is always a hilarious mad dash to throw a trash heap together, and watching them suffer through asteroid fields and pirate attacks is equally fun. It is not a particularly deep or strategic game but we love it anyway. We have the expansions but rarely get to use them because it’s been so much fun introducing new people to the game.

Space Alert is also a delightfully unique game — I really don’t have any other real-time decision-making games in my collection. It can be tense and stressful but goddamn is it satisfying when everyone works together and the ship actually survives. And when it doesn’t, it leads to a lot of great “wait, I thought you were going to — oh noooooooo” moments.

Tash Kalar is one of the best two player games out there. I’ve only played with the base factions, and it definitely takes a few plays to start to understand the long-term strategies for success. But once it clicks, oh man, it’s a tense battle of back-and-forth maneuvering that really rewards meticulous piece placement and planning for your opponent’s most likely move.

Mage Knight is a phenomenal concept but unfortunately hits my limit of “there are too many rules and moving parts to make this manageable on a tabletop”. It’s a huge bummer that a Steam or iOS version was never developed because it really is a genius game that just takes too goddamn long to set up and play through. Still, there really isn’t anything else that captures the feeling of being a badass wizard accumulating powers and followers to raid dungeons and lay waste to cities. Sadly it suffers because the game is so tight on action and resource management that every turn is a puzzle to be solved. It’s very rewarding to solve those puzzle, but the game takes forever.

I haven’t played Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Petz but I hear they’re pretty good?

Every Vlaada should be in the OP. The OP should just be Vlaada. All praise unto Vlaada.

(Dungeon duo rules, you should definitely try them)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's a rundown of that solo game poll

VoodooXT posted:

Is Coolstuff bad now? :ohdear:

They've just kinda stepped back as a reliable board game retailer after moving warehouses and shifting much more towards TCGs and their fulfillment business for KS campaigns.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gamenerdz.com is very solid. great prices, $5 flat shipping, $75 free shipping

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's at least one person in the thread discord that works for a somewhat large TG retailer. Not sure what their forums name is though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Llyranor posted:

Here's my pitch:

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant :
Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadran

A+

How about this one

Dungeon Petz - Clean up poop and send ugly pets to the "farm".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Res Arcana would be a good one that plays well online. It's a pretty straightforward resource conversion/tableau builder with a tight race to 10 points.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here’s my updated travel game box. List of games:

Carcassonne
Modern Art
Ragnarocks
Arboretum
Battle Line
Fox in the Forest
The Crew Deep Sea
Lost Cities Rivals
High Society
For Sale
Air Land & Sea
Battlecon
Race for the Galaxy
Deck of cards (for Skull, The Resistance, ONU Werewolf, etc)

All in the Carc box. The tokens for everything are under the Modern Art cards. I can also pull out Modern Art and fit in Fake Artist and Insider if I want more party games.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 7, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

would be a great time to tell publishers to pull their content from TTS

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree that BGG moderation is admirable but the BGG user base is still pretty awful. Any thread dealing with social issues is filled with garbage that has to be moderated to the point that I think the community still sucks even if the site owners have tried to make it better. I have zero interest in being part of that community until those lovely people aren't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Crackbone posted:

It's reasonable to give them a few days to formulate a plan. Chat moderation is a nightmare, and there are no easy/simple answers to deal with crap like this.
The statement might be in bad faith, but they admit they hosed up, which is the best starting point you can hope for. We've all seen the non-apologies a lot of these companies/creators put out when they get caught.

Their discord is a trash fire full of bigotry that is never banned by the same mods that banned the op for stating their identity. They are still a mod too. I think that says a lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Horseless Carriage is going to let you design Homer’s car and convince the consumers that’s what they want. It’s going to be incredible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

So I'm at a point where I'd be willing to throw money at a Splotter. Recommendations? I was thinking of FCM but I've heard that decisions on the first turn can decide the game and then you're just playing a slow death, which is... probably not my thing.

That's not accurate. You can definitely make a bad choice that would cost you the game on turn one, but after a few rounds of play it's extremely obvious what those would be, especially with the milestones from the expansion (which are available to print free on BGG*). If all players are on equal footing then it becomes a really tight game of cutting one another off or pivoting at just the right time and hoping your opponents didn't plan accordingly. A new player will get trounced, but with a little guidance they can still play the game and enjoy it (and actually make money unless you want to completely shark them for some reason).

*they also speed the game up and have better guidance for new players and strategy overall

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Papes posted:

They don’t really have a game that would appeal to you then. That’s a core pillar of their design ethos and the exceptions to the rule are incredibly hard to find.

I’l would say your post is a bit of an exaggeration though unless you are talking high level play. You can certainly make mistakes, but you will get outpaced by an opponent that does not.

I think it's worth correcting that "first turn decisions can decide the whole game" is not the Splotter ethos. They said "if you can't lose on turn one, why have a turn one?" which just means that the decisions are important and you can absolutely put yourself in a hole if you choose a really bad first move (which again, is obvious if you understand the game). They also include tips in most (all?) the rulebooks to not screw yourself first round or later. First round is important, but barring a really glaring bad choice, it will not dictate who wins and loses the game.

The first hires in FCM get a lot of attention because hiring something like a kitchen trainee on turn one is a complete waste and will probably cost you the game, but most discussion completely ignores the first "turn" being restaurant placement which is equally if not more important that your first hire (or at the least, probably informs it heavily).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Megasabin posted:

My splotter rankings have moved around a lot over the years. I think at this point I’d say:

Indonesia > Bus > Zimbabwe > Food Chain Magnate

Bus is the splotter logistics puzzle distilled to its core and the game plays in like an hour. Indonesia is very long, but it’s incredible. I rarely have a desire to play FCM anymore because Indonesia is so good and takes about the same amount of time.

I’ve never played roads and boats or antiquity.

Ketchup speeds up FCM significantly and makes it the second fastest of those listed. Much faster than Indo now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

ok but if you can lose on turn one, then first turn decisions can decide the whole game

Right, but outside of first time playing with no guidance or reading the tips in the rulebook, that shouldn’t happen. I’d argue the same could be said of any number of euro games where there are obvious good and bad first turns. This only became a talking point with Splotter because their games are very sink or swim in a way MWEs are not. You can take terrible first turns in Agricola, Concordia, T&E, etc, that could also cost you the game. You can bid all your meeples of a color on a spring tile in Keyflower turn 1. It’s not a smart move, but you can do it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 20, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Please add to OP

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

I was responding to your assertion that it wasn't their ethos to have game-determining decisions on turn one, which was followed by your quoting their statement that explicitly contradicts your assertion. I'm not passing judgment on their ethos, and believe Splotter makes great games. Their games are not very forgiving, and part of what makes them good, but that's definitely intentional.

Change “determining” to “influencing” and you’re correct. I don’t think “the first turn matters” is the same as “the first turn is *all* that matters” as some of this talk implies. “Game determining” is loaded language that is absolutely not accurate to the statement or the games. Yes, there are important decisions on turn one, but they do not supersede the rest of the game and make it all just a long resolution of those initial choices. You can lose the game by making a bad error at any point in the game, but that is harder to do in round one than any other time in the game barring a new player just trying things at random.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 20, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Maigius posted:

I received a foam core insert for Christmas and want to check what glue I use to hold it together? Does regular craft glue work?

Express wood glue is what Folded Space recommend.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I still laugh that the new $250 tower does less than the 80s game’s Tower and they moved a lot of that to the app. It’s like every bad trait of modern KS board gaming in one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They put more work into designing the box than the gameplay

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Keyflower is one of the best mid weight euros and combines traditional worker placement with an auction mechanic. You can use meeples on tiles to get resources or to bid to own those tiles and add them to your town. Plenty of interaction as you can use others' tiles but give them a worker for the next round, bidding, etc. Plays great at 2-5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I did not know until just now that their boards were MDF. I've played on one and it did feel solid, but I don't think I could pay $100 for a slab of MDF.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Despite the really bizarre theme, Gocaine looks like a legit interesting twist on Go and could use some development.

Make it a Go battle royale.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Furthermore, I’m tired of charades. Don’t people know the calories they expend gesticulating and yelling are creating negative value equivalent to the cost of consumption?

gently caress off already loser

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

From what I understand of the subject, the emissions of last mile delivery from online ordering outweigh the emissions from non-single use plastic pretty heavily. Overall board games are Not Bad and If you’re even concerned about this you’re probably a decent enough person in other aspects to be way ahead of the curve. If they help you find a bit of joy in our modern hellscape don’t beat yourself up about it.

Edit: But definitely torch any companies that get involved with crypto, nfts, blockchain, and other garbage under any new scam they come up with.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 25, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's fine but kinda one dimensional compared to similar. High level play is kinda boring in the way that bowling is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What about the following troll posts rubbing it in our face that he's allowed to poo poo post? Exactly how many people here have to ask that he be thread banned before it's a serious enough issue for you to do something?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Furthermore, I’m tired of charades. Don’t people know the calories they expend gesticulating and yelling are creating negative value equivalent to the cost of consumption?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I hope Kickstarter switches to an all-Bitcoin model so the $300 all-in pledges only cost about $25 by the time the funding period ends.

That's not "stating factually correct information" that's being a deliberate poo poo heel, with a whole trail of poo poo left before.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I sent PRADA a PM about those.

how quaint

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seems real easy to skirt your threshold of “ignoring escalating probes” when you refuse to probe and instead PM them. “Merely being annoying” is an interesting way to describe someone that repeatedly claims a picture obviously depicting rape is in no way rape. Almost apologist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/341489/carrooka

Carrooka looks great and more approachable than Crok. I get tired of Crok after like 15 mins.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chip Theory was already on Gamefound.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I can’t imagine putting any stock in Tom Vasel’s opinion on anything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oath is not the game I’d recommend or expect you to go for after the rest of that paragraph. It is specifically a magnum opus* style design that needs repeated plays to dive deep into its systems. It’s a neat game and it does have some social elements to the strategy, but not in the way it seems like you want or like.

*Cole talked a lot about burning all the good will and trust Root bought him with the company to let him do this big, weird game and said he knew he’d never have another chance at it. It also feels like a mix of everything he’s done up till now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He's so insufferable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Funnily enough the solo rules for TfM fix that main issue by having a 14 round time limit you have to finish terraforming by. The main game would be strictly better with similar time pressure.

\/ yeah it’s still not good

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 3, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Nidavellir might have replaced Libertalia for my group.

Have you tried the expansion and how is it? I've played base and thought it was a solid drafting/auction game that felt Knizia like, and I have enough store credit to get it for free but didn't know if it was worth adding the expansion on to an order.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Llyranor posted:

I'll just leave this here

quote:

> My friends and I sign our game box lids after we win so we can have a log. Here's the lid for TfM after our hundredth game from a few days ago.
> A lot of these games are 1v1s as it is my group's favorite way to play TfM, but our 1v1s can still last up to 8 hours on the high end since our house meta is basically everyone is trying to maximize points and refuses to progress the game so we end around gens 14-16

Monsters among us.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mellifluous posted:

So, any recommendations for a moderately complex low-interaction game that can be played in about 2 hours or less (including the teach) with 4 players, one of whom has pretty bad AP?

Res Arcana. You do one simple action a turn, and your choices get whittled down throughout the round.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ivits can be an easy starter faction thanks to starting with their PI and only having one federation so they can just focus on building up instead of building wide. I don’t think they’re considered OP though. If they’re both building away from you then you should be able to save more resources than their power trading is worth given the smaller space they have to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Why the hell isn't there a 3x3?! :argh:

There is. I own 2 of them.