Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

What's all this, then?
I'll just let Wikipedia field this one:

Wikipedia posted:

Mizzurna Falls is a 1998 Japanese video game developed and published by Human Entertainment for the PlayStation. The game is one of the first open world adventure games ever made and focuses on the search for a lost classmate in a small rural American town.

...and?
Well, it's an truly open-world game in 1998! That's a pretty big deal, especially for the PS1! On top of that, having the game run on a real-time clock, with events and NPCs having schedules they follow, and "not here and you miss it" style gameplay, games like Deadly Premonition definitely took some cues from here.

Also, big-time influences drawn from Twin Peaks here, as well. Overall, a very avant-garde piece of software that never left Japan.

So I need to know Japanese?
Nope! In March of 2021, a fully realized translation of the game was published to romhacking.net. Yes, I realize you could argue about "fan translation" territory, but this is about as good as its gonna get here.

...especially when paired with the fact that the game's English script was too large to fit onto a PS1 disc. The developers of this hack (nikita600 and Cirosan) created a tool with a new compression algorithm specifically so that they could get everything in.

This is vaguely familiar...
Well, this was done by the user formerly known as Niggurath, but its all in Japanese. I'm sure the game is very much more competently played here than what you will experience here....'cause this is a blind run!

Is this your--
...Yes, the usual dollar-store Rifftrax stuff served up by Dewgy and I. Hey--we're funny in our own minds! You might laugh, too, if at nothing else but our sheer incompetency!

We'll be updating about once a week. Discuss the game with us, yell at us for sucking, make stupid jokes, suggest courses of action--whatever! Hope you'll stick around with us :shittydog:

EPISODE LIST
EPISODE 1--UNBEARABLE CIRCUMSTANCES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nmq2RHrD4
EPISODE 2--MY MOM SAYS I'M A PROTAGONIST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEB0dM0Dgw
EPISODE 3--THE REFRESHING TASTE OF THE COROLADO CROCKIES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JLDL3dTGM
EPISODE 4--FOUR BEARS AND A FUNERAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEFa6PQytcs
EPISODE 5--SINS OF THE BEAR'S FATHER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHNZxLotDQ
EPISODE 6--THE CURSE OF OLD MAN PERRY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEFDqDzM9c

--BAD END--

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
That's right, we're going right from one jank rear end late 90s adventure game right into another one. I for one am thrilled, terrified, and a little bit confused. I was a huge fan of Deadly Premonition, but I'm honestly a little worried about how that formula's going to work in the context of a PS1 game.

Then again, it'd be hard for it to be jankier than Deadly Premotion even being on PS1, so at least the bar is set pretty low! :D

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would expect the first episode of your own when there is an OP.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would expect the first episode of your own when there is an OP.

I know, and that's usually how we run. Honestly, I got a little excited and jumped the gun on typing the whole thing out and getting it set up. We'll be putting that up within the next day or so. Sorry :-/

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Okay, now that the premature start is out of the way, we bring you EPISODE 1: UN-BEAR-ABLE CIRCUMSTANCES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nmq2RHrD4

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Dewgy posted:

Then again, it'd be hard for it to be jankier than Deadly Premotion even being on PS1, so at least the bar is set pretty low! :D

To be fair, I haven't played this game myself, but from everything I've read, apparently it IS possible for it to be jankier than Deadly Premonition. The main issue (again, according to the articles) seems to be that this game REALLY pushes PS1 to its limits and... that just doesn't always end well.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ivantod posted:

To be fair, I haven't played this game myself, but from everything I've read, apparently it IS possible for it to be jankier than Deadly Premonition. The main issue (again, according to the articles) seems to be that this game REALLY pushes PS1 to its limits and... that just doesn't always end well.

Nothing too disastrous yet, but if you watch the video you can see that there are certainly some problems with how the thing was put together.

....if you have watched the episode, you know exactly what I'm talking about :shittydog:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Honestly you’re right, so far it is a bit jankier than Deadly Premonition, but the gap is way smaller than it should be for games that were two console generations apart. I can already see the ambition of the design clashing into the limits of the hardware though, and we only just started.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Honestly you’re right, so far it is a bit jankier than Deadly Premonition, but the gap is way smaller than it should be for games that were two console generations apart. I can already see the ambition of the design clashing into the limits of the hardware though, and we only just started.

Well, if you thought the first installment had some jank....well, the 2nd installment continues that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEB0dM0Dgw

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You don't know the full limits of the playstation until you can make your character disappear into objects by flipping the camera.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

You don't know the full limits of the playstation until you can make your character disappear into objects by flipping the camera.

The limits of the playstation stop at not allowing it to snow indoors

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

A little behind pace, but here is episode 3! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JLDL3dTGM

THE REFRESHING TASTE OF THE COROLADO CROCKIES!
BALLS-BASED OFFENSE!
INABILITY TO DRIVE (still)!

All this and more in this episode of Mizzurna Falls! :shittydog:

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 10, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That combat looks worse than the Omikron fighting system.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

That combat looks worse than the Omikron fighting system.

That’s basically every PS1 game that isn’t a renowned classic, that generation’s combat systems generally aged like milk. I don’t remember Omikron’s combat, but I do remember the video game version of The Crow, and lord do I wish that I did not, so it could be worse!

That said, I do appreciate a fine example of all American “teenagers think they’re being badass but it’s really just a slapfight and kicking each other in the dick” style martial arts.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

That’s basically every PS1 game that isn’t a renowned classic, that generation’s combat systems generally aged like milk. I don’t remember Omikron’s combat, but I do remember the video game version of The Crow, and lord do I wish that I did not, so it could be worse!

That said, I do appreciate a fine example of all American “teenagers think they’re being badass but it’s really just a slapfight and kicking each other in the dick” style martial arts.

My nuts to your foot style how do you like it?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Man, its been a hot minute, hasn't it? Well, we're back with more Mizzurna Falls! This one is...interesting, to say the least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEFa6PQytcs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That short music loop that plays during somber moments makes it sound like Nemesis is going to crash through a window soon when you go to the next camera angle.

I think bears have a very dense skull, so headshots in the forehead is a bad idea.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think bears have a very dense skull, so headshots in the forehead is a bad idea.

When you have as much ammo as the dudes from House of the Dead this isn’t that much of a concern, apparently.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

When you have as much ammo as the dudes from House of the Dead this isn’t that much of a concern, apparently.

...and apparently can reload as fast, too :v:

Onto the next part, where we continue to bumble around, getting hit by cars, slam into other things, and further deepen the mystery of "what the hell is actually happening here?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHNZxLotDQ

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You didn't talk to the woman(?) near the confession booth.

There may be a possibility of backing into something that can get you stuck or getting off the map.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

There may be a possibility of backing into something that can get you stuck or getting off the map.

Yeah this game’s geometry seems unstable at the best of times. It’s kind of impressive, frankly.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hoo boy--its been a while, and we only have one update to show for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEFDqDzM9c

Along with that, we're declaring ABANDON RUN here. After multiple times having to remake progress off-camera due to crashes and bugs, and ESPECIALLY after our fiasco with Gabriel Knight 2 constantly doing the same, we're just going to shelve this run. For now, we're gonna do some easy one or two-offs, recover our will to do long series, and hopefully come back with something interesting next time

Anyone wanting to take a stab at this and hopefully do a better job and we did, go for it! I'd be happy to guest spot some thing (as Dewgy probably would, too), but GOOD LUCK.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So yeah, as legitimately fascinating as this game is, I don’t think we’ve ever touched a game quite as actively hostile to us trying to finish it as this one.

It’s stunningly ambitious for the hardware it came out on, but it’s basically broken. I might try to play it a bit on my own at some point, but a blind recorded run of this game is not a good idea as it turns out. :v:

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
So appropriate to the genre that the land itself plays out as its own antagonistic character.

Sad. We may never get to hear Morgan's tragic backstory; how he used to be a hot shot on the force in the big city, until he botched a hostage rescue. Because the perps saw him trying to sneak up on them. Saw him right through the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Melaneus posted:

So appropriate to the genre that the land itself plays out as its own antagonistic character.

Sad. We may never get to hear Morgan's tragic backstory; how he used to be a hot shot on the force in the big city, until he botched a hostage rescue. Because the perps saw him trying to sneak up on them. Saw him right through the walls.

Just completely tragic. :(

But honestly I love how NPCs through walls sticks out as a buggy artifact of it tracking everyone all the time. It’s just so ambitious and running on hardware that absolutely can’t keep up with it.

I may pop in here occasionally to do some screenshot dumps if I play through it myself. I tinkered with it in Duckstation for a bit, and there’s an enormous amount of background detail at times that totally disappears at the PSX’s native resolution, and having it fix texture warping gives the whole thing a much cleaner feel. It still controls like a dollar store RC car and is glitchy as hell, but there’s some impressive work on display here.