Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Yo!

The first pro tour was insanely fun to watch. Haven't been this excited to follow competitive TCGs since like 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Laff @ that price point for the new "Classic Battles" starter set.

"Includes playmat* and lore book!*

*May be just printed on tissue paper."

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I don't love the price point but I'm still excited to use my copy as a great primer/introduction for friends to the game, since it has really simple cards that give a snapshot of Brute and Warrior gameplay. Should just be a few bucks cheaper, frig.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I was curious what the price was: about $50 or local equivalent. Oof. Ooooof. Considering that blitz decks are normally $12, this is essentially a 100% markup. The most comparable product I know of would probably be Keyforge's two player kits were $25 (as far as I can tell, obviously with that game's status, they may not be available). That's pretty harsh.

For about that same price, you could get a great 2 player experience from NISEI's Intro Deckbuilding and it includes deck customization as well.

edit: vvv Yeah, didn't mean to hijack, but what I meant was: This large-scale manufactured project has pricing comparable to print-on-demand. That's not great.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 29, 2022

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Not to hijack this thread with Netrunner but yeah NISEI's System Gateway has been one of the most fantastic intro-to-its-game products that I've ever seen.

Figures since it was made by fans and not by the actual company that made the game (for a while).

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

LSS has been doing a weird thing for a bit where the price they say is MSRP isn't the price many stores will sell the product for. SCG has the decks at $40 for preorder and some places are going even lower than that.

I'm not entirely sure why that trend is a thing, but given the cards in these decks, it's probably better for new players to buy the older Blitz decks anyway. Classic Battles feels strangely geared towards current players with the extra foiling and entirely new hero cards + weapons.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
it has to do with the fact that Online Retailers are gutting LGS's and pretty much everyone sells at MAP pricing (MSRP-20%)

I know Dori and Rhinar fans that who were excited and didn't mind paying $50 whatsoever for the cold foils and new mentors etc.

I also personally do not plan on getting this for any reason.

The sales of this product over time are likely going to be a good learning point for LSS, maybe they'll stick to the $50 price point and just add more value to the box? or maybe they'll strip out some of the fancy stuff and drop the price. We'll have to see!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It just seems self-defeating to make a product and label it as “meant for new players!” and yet almost entirely include stuff only current players would want, like foil versions of old cards and stuff.

Even the Blitz decks are kind of crazy hard to play for a brand new player. They need to release like 10 dollar Ira-level decks if they actually want to maybe entice new people.

Or maybe have stuff that slowly grows in complexity as you add cards like the NISEi System Gateway did for Netrunner?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jeeves posted:

It just seems self-defeating to make a product and label it as “meant for new players!” and yet almost entirely include stuff only current players would want, like foil versions of old cards and stuff.

Even the Blitz decks are kind of crazy hard to play for a brand new player. They need to release like 10 dollar Ira-level decks if they actually want to maybe entice new people.

Or maybe have stuff that slowly grows in complexity as you add cards like the NISEi System Gateway did for Netrunner?

I think a big bar of entry right now is how warping legendary equipment can be, and long-term players usually have most if not all of the equipment for their characters. I know LSS has been coming out with lower powered M versions, so hopefully they'll ban L equipment in blitz after another set or two. Or more places need to run commoner formats and just allow a new player to enter with one of the premade blitz deck despite them breaking the rules of commoner.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Randalor posted:

I think a big bar of entry right now is how warping legendary equipment can be, and long-term players usually have most if not all of the equipment for their characters. I know LSS has been coming out with lower powered M versions, so hopefully they'll ban L equipment in blitz after another set or two. Or more places need to run commoner formats and just allow a new player to enter with one of the premade blitz deck despite them breaking the rules of commoner.

The thing about Skullcap and Tunic is that there just weren't similar enough equipment in those slots (or more variety) Skullcap is basically worthless if we get a 2 defense temper helm with any ability on it in a non-arcane meta.

The new chest in the Classic Battles box (and upcoming lgs promo) is just as good as tunic in a lot of matches, especially blitz where sometimes you dont even get to turn 3, let alone turn 6.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pyronic posted:

The thing about Skullcap and Tunic is that there just weren't similar enough equipment in those slots (or more variety) Skullcap is basically worthless if we get a 2 defense temper helm with any ability on it in a non-arcane meta.

The new chest in the Classic Battles box (and upcoming lgs promo) is just as good as tunic in a lot of matches, especially blitz where sometimes you dont even get to turn 3, let alone turn 6.

Oh, I know, but then you also have stuff like Valiant Dynamo and Crown of Seeds effectively giving +1 health every turn, Braveforge Bracers giving a repeatable +1 atk, New Horizon giving much more flexibility to Rangers, ect ect. It can be discouraging for a new player to come in, and then get curbstomped because their opponent's equipment can just generate so much more value even over a shorter format like blitz, and most of the equipment is 3-figures in cost still. Hopefully the Historic packs will help curb the cost though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There should definitely be a format of blitz-lite or pauper or something that only allows the same array of low power generic equipments or such.

Being able to completely stomp someone by just swapping in a single (or more) $100+ (or vastly more) equipment card(s) is nuts in this game.

Edit - I think it’s why the Ira decks were fun back when I first played this for the very first few times. The equipment was kind of evenly matched since the decks were obviously mirrored.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 1, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think they're starting to head in that direction, Everfest had a few M equipment that were similar-to-but-weaker versions of L equipment (Earthlore Bounty to Tectonic Plate, and Mask of the Pouncing Lynx to Mask of Momentum, and Vexing Quillhand to Grasp of the Arknight). They're still powerful cards compared to the common equipment for those slots that you want if you're running those classes and not running the L equipment, but they're also $5-10 instead of $100+. Plus considering the faster style of Blitz, you're liable to get as much (or more) use out of them than the L equivilants.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

In the article describing the future of the game, Commoner was a format LSS said they're going to support, along with better support for their 3+ player mode (UPF) and a PvE mode.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I don't think Legendaries are that expensive, MtG's prices are way more egregious. There's playsets of cards in standard, that only work in one deck, and will rotate out of play and become junk that are almost the same price as a Fyendals or Skullcap, which will go in almost every deck, and barring bans will last forever.

I also think they're going to be constantly reprinted.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
The game is also skill-oriented in a way that if you're not playing well, having a Fyendal's Spring Tunic in your expensive deck isn't going to save you from someone playing something off-meta/undertuned to a high skill level. I didn't buy any legendaries until I had been playing for a few months, I still did well in armories. It wasn't until I was really able to appreciate the breakpoints where an extra resource would have won me a game, or an extra block from an Arcanite Skullcap, etc, that I took the plunge into some important cards.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Pre-release weekend! Anyone hitting up some Uprising events?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jcam posted:

Pre-release weekend! Anyone hitting up some Uprising events?

I'm hitting up one on Sat, but it's too hot on Sunday to go to the other FLGS for theirs.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I’ll be at my store’s Saturday event

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Getting into while I'm traveling for work. Local community is really awesome and has dumped a metric fuckton of commons on me to build commoner decks. Really liking the gameplay, not entirely sold on the distribution model. But hey, opened a cold foil legendary during a draft so that's neat.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've been really enjoying Uprising limited these last few weeks. It feels like they dialed in a dynamic that they were trying to pull off in Aria. The three heroes are nicely varied and feel fair; Fai is kind of the baseline since he's got a lot of really good value at common and strings together 10 to 15 damage chains fairly easily, but the conditional nature of the gimmicks of Isylander and Dromai kind of result in how those classes should feel. Prism was a little too fast and loose with everything at instant speed and her permanents being very incidental and way too high value for how easy they were to accumulate, and Kano was relegated to borderline gimmick character due to his whole style of playing solitaire while trying to 1 turn KO you. Dromai's sequencing of ash into ashwings or invoked dragons plus them having health and allowing go again to trigger is incredibly reasonable but strong, and likewise Isylander operating halfway at instant speed by having to first set up a blue spell plus staff combo is also tuned very fairly. All of this works well with quell which is a way more thoughtful keyword than arcane barrier, really forcing you to think about when your big "quell turn" is going to be when you're on the defensive against a lot of little aggressive hits. Aria limited burned me out a little and this is a real refreshing, clean kind of set.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
We just wrapped up Canadian Nationals this past weekend, and it was a lot of fun. I was lucky to be part of the judge team, and got to see a lot of high-level play and great people. Really happy with the direction the game has taken and I'm looking forward to where it goes from here.

Any other Canadian FAB players here?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If anyone wants to buy from a goon, I have a Vestige of Sol (1st edition, cold foil, nm) for sale.

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 5, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey all, so I picked up one of the Alpha Investment 6.9 anniversary kits, and amongst the other things inside, there were these three Flesh and Blood cards. Are they worth much? Checking ebay, there's listings for like 10-15 bucks for each of the two non-blank cards, but I think there's variants so I'm not sure if these are ultra rare versions or just regular-rear end ones. I'd love to sell them since I don't play FaB.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I could be wrong, but I THINK the blank equipment is the most expensive of the three. The Even Bigger Than That is a full-art variant, the other is just a standard promo. Dunno how much they're worth offhand though.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

EBTT is like $34-35, electrify is like $6 both per tcgplayer, equipment seems to be going for about $45 per eBay, but occasionally you see a sale for 60 someodd

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, thank you! I'll see if I can sell'em on ebay, or if anyone here would like them, I'd knock a bit off the price, like 70 bucks shipped for the trio or something?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Is there a good place to sell singles online? Local lgs doesn't do singles. I'm trying to get into the game and bought a box of Aria and pulled the foil alt art Channel Lake Frigid that sells for like 140ish and would rather roll that into more cards than hang on to it.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Dreqqus posted:

Is there a good place to sell singles online? Local lgs doesn't do singles. I'm trying to get into the game and bought a box of Aria and pulled the foil alt art Channel Lake Frigid that sells for like 140ish and would rather roll that into more cards than hang on to it.

TCGplayer because new players are hoovering up all the singles and people can visually see that so the urgency is there.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Thanks! I didn't realize individuals could sell through TCGPlayer.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I do a lot of business through the fab community discord.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah, the community discord was surprisingly fine in my experience

otherwise yeah, tcgplayer or like cfbmarket

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
having immense fun playing runeblades and wizards, especially against other runeblades and wizards. huge vertical attacks, 3 turn games, and losing on your turn or winning on theirs feels like peak FaB.

as far as the cost side of things, i've gotten extremely lucky with cold foils that i 1) didn't need and 2) sold for half of what i've spent on booster boxes

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
If any goons are looking to get into FAB and want to ask any questions, feel free to send me a PM or something! I've been involved with the game since September 2021 now and have been having a lot of fun with organized play the entire time. I got involved with the judge program a while back and actually managed to become one of the first Level 2 judges in Canada (3rd or 4th I think?). Local events have been firing off consistently with a larger and larger playerbase, prices on things have stabilized due to the revamp of set releases with FAB2.0, and the diversity of viable deck choices has been great for a while now. I just wanted to gently nudge this thread.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Game good.

I tried the tutorial on felttable around when UPR came out, and ended up trading in a few hundred bucks worth of MTG cardboard for fun cardboard.

Then I turned into this guy.

Looking forward to the PvE mode theyve been teasing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I haven't gotten to play much but they're bringing Prism back so I can finally use the deck I built and played once

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Heath posted:

I haven't gotten to play much but they're bringing Prism back so I can finally use the deck I built and played once

The new Prism is a lot different and the Monarch version of Luminaris is still banned in CC. New young Prism + old Luminaris in blitz is probably going to be hilarious though.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Levia has been my #1 favorite hero since I bought the old Blitz Levia and Boltyn precons as my first FAB purchase, so I'm happy she's finally getting a big bag of goodies with DtD.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I managed to make it through the prerelase weekend without getting the cold foil Prism. Time to watch ebay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
My partner and I got go play our first fab yournament yesterday! It was a blast even though we got destroyed. It was cc and I took lexi only beating another new person in the first of 3 rounds. Overall a great time and I'm really looking forward to next week.