Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So my friend and I have picked up this game and played a few rounds with the starter decks from the first set. I THINK we're playing it correctly. I think combat is where we're not quite sure about the flow of things.

My understanding is that I choose an attack, my opponent can then defend against that attack, and then either of us are able to play attack reactions or defense reactions. What's confusing me is where exactly the chain closes. Does it close if someone uses a reaction? Or does something have to specifically close the chain like a Phantasm attack being destroyed? If I have an action point, and I do another attack, does that attack see the previous ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I haven't gotten to play much but they're bringing Prism back so I can finally use the deck I built and played once

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are there no Blitz precons for DTD? Those are my favorite thing they put out

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have those already, I was just hoping for a new Prism precon. I have been trying to get my Magic friends to play this with me but they whine about it being too expensive or hard to get in to do the precons are usually as far as I can get with them

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am highly excited for this ultimate pit fight set that's coming out so I can finally get my commander friends to maybe try this game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think there's much of a meta for UPF yet to say how anything works. I'd say buy some of the Blitz precons and hand them out and then upgrade from there.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My one big gripe with this game as a total amateur and not very frequent player is that I hate the phrasing "Go again" rather than... Anything else. "Add/gain 1 action point" feels like it would be way more appropriate and easy to understand even though I believe adding an action point is cumulative while multiple instances of Go Again are not. But this is the biggest stumbling block I have faced in my vain attempts to get people to learn this game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Also distinguish an "Attack Action" from an "Attack." Every single time I play this game I have to explain that even though a weapon says "Once per turn action - Attack" that is not, in fact, an attack action, even though it is an action, in which you attack.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yes but things that affect an "attack action" do not affect weapon attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LifeLynx posted:

As a new player I'm shaken that four heroes have LL'd from Blitz and two from CC in the two months I've been into the game. Ira is close in Blitz. Getting a taste of that old Magic feeling of "Why bother building anything, it could get banned suddenly".

Yeah basically everything I've had interest in playing is gone lol