Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Thanks for putting this together! I’m always excited to network more and throw ideas around for deckbuilding. Especially so with so many ProQuest events being announced and there being a lot of prize support on the line.

Right now my main format and deck is Classic Constructed playing Kano, after switching off of Boltyn (Raydn) since I have been too stubborn to buy a full play set of Command and Conquer. I’ve been having way too much fun figuring out CC Kano’s big lines and how to bring a game back for a win when I’m down to 1 life against an opponent with 30 left. For Blitz I have an awesome Dorinthea deck I’m happy with, but I haven’t done much Blitz lately after seeing the depth of CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

coelomate posted:

Really enjoyed reading through this, thanks for all the work put into the OP!

I picked up two blitz decks but have no idea when or if I'll actually play them.

My local store sells the cards, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an event organized. Maybe I'll have to try it out with some nerd friends at work one of these days.

The official Flesh and Blood site actually has an event locator function to help, hopefully there is a LGS close to you that runs Armoury's or some other casual night. Here is a link: https://fabtcg.com/events/

If not, I'd be more than happy to play a silly amount of Blitz games with you over TTS or Webcam to learn the game and have some fun.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Back Alley Borks posted:

I play Kano in Blitz, but haven't made the jump to trying him in CC yet. I hoped to learn how to pitch stack Kano properly in Blitz but the games are just too fast, even if it's against Bravo.

I think there are a few reasons for this. Currently both Blitz and CC are favouring very greedy, aggressive decks (which is why we're seeing it get punished by decks like Lexi and Oldhim). This means as Kano you're sprinting to the finish line in Blitz and most certainly don't have time to do any real pitch stacking against a properly aggressive opponent playing something currently competitive. I got frustrated with how one-dimensional Kano's gameplan was in Blitz, despite its effectiveness, which is why I decided to make the transition to CC and dismantle my other little projects I had been working on.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Spoilers are starting to come out for the new supplementary set, and I’m running around excited like a toddler. Can’t wait.

New Blitz Wizard Hero means I can pivot from Kano pretty easily and also try a completely new, control-oriented playstyle.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

ShaneB posted:

ice wizard is my favorite weedeater track

Pretty hyped for the new set, both for cards and interesting cold foils. Supposedly there are like 30+, and something about the Carnival slot sounds new/different?

I've been continuing to focus on Chane, but also reading a lot about Ice Lexi. I played some games with @Hauki last night, him on Ice Lexi and me on Chane. Fun games for sure. I messed up a turn or two and allowed him to pivot HARD, and he came back from being down 4 to 26 life or so.

Some night we should arrange something where our schedules all link up and we can play some webcam games/spectate a few and chat about how things play out. I was really tempted by Ice Lexi but went all-in on Kano instead, so her lines really interest me.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I have kind of a strange schedule right now, but I'm down to find something. Wednesday nights generally work. TTS might be preferable for me since I've already got that setup & don't have a webcam. Talking through lines would be cool though, like Shane said we're barely scratching the surface I think. I'm pretty sure I punted multiple turns game 1 and game 2 last night. I've only played like, 3 actual games of CC total though. Game itself is a lot tighter & more fun than I expected from all the speculation/finance bullshit surrounding it, I want to dig in more.

My schedule is filled up for Wednesday nights for a little while (we're currently in lockdown and I'm doing a virtual event weekly on Wednesdays) but eventually I'd be down for that!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'd definitely want to join in by saying Welcome to Rathe or Tales of Aria are the two ways to go. Although technically all the sets are draft friendly, those sets will give you the best picture of game mechanics while also being very Sealed/Draft friendly for the reasons Gumdrop Larry mentioned. Just go with whatever one looks like it has more exciting heroes for you and your partner!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

First Time Caller posted:

We bought a box of WTR and played sealed deck. Deckbuilding was a bit daunting for my partner who has never played a TCG but despite initial complaints, started showing an interest in reading what all the cards for their selected hero did to decide what generics to throw in - I liked seeing that :D

Main trouble with playing sealed deck for us was only having certain token cards, we pulled all the heroes but not a lot of their weapons. We ended up carefully cracking the rest of the packs through the top so we could pull out all the token cards in the box.

What heroes did you both end up building? How'd the games go?!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are there any good websites to get deck ideas? I'm lovely at deck planning, I usually just get one off the internet.

A decent place to start your deck-brewing is right off the FAB TCG website, you can find event results (including decklists for top-placing players) and use it as a kick-off point for yourself. I definitely floundered with Kano in Classic Constructed for a while before I finally found a good template to work from, specifically the winner of Italian Nationals a little while back.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Finally managed to slap together the Bravo deck I’ve wanted to play for a while, and did my first Blitz event tonight. Exactly the playstyle shift I wanted as a break from three or four straight months of Kano in both CC and Blitz, my brain needed a vacation.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Randalor posted:

For even more of a vacation, try running a Prism deck. Every attack action has a cost of 1 or 2, and the only other cards you care about cost 4. Just... don't actually expect to win, Prism is kind of bad at Blitz because of Phantasm on all her attack actions.

I had thought about building a Prism deck actually! I'm just not super-drawn to that aesthetic/theme, which is shamefully part of my decision-making process.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
We're likely going to see some very strong Viserai decks with the new tools Runeblade got, early testing in our group has really shown Viserai is able to sideboard more effectively into different match-ups, ramp up runechants faster, and be more aggressive with the midrange style as well. Guardian is pretty happy with the new cards but time will tell if they function well with Bravo and Oldhim or if they're mostly intended for Valda in Blitz. Bravo, Star of the Show is going to be really interesting to build for. I think Chane is still going to be a good middle of the pack deck in the upcoming format so don't sweat it too much. I played almost exclusively Kano and with the increasing prevalence of Guardian and potential for AB5 it isn't looking like I'll be taking Kano to the ProQuests for the time being, but I'll know more once I'm able to do more testing (currently brewing Bravo).

There's a lot of Blitz support in this set ultimately, with a few nods to actual Classic Constructed play but not a lot. I think it's LSS further paving the road into future sets and trying to increase the variety in newcomer events by making the CRU heroes not feel half-baked.

EDIT: Illusionist got some solid card support but there is a lot of Prism-hate in the new cards.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Back Alley Borks posted:

I played in Farewell to Rathe events this weekend, and did very well on Rhinar and Dorinthea. Bravo was always picked by some diehard control players in my scene, and similar with Katsu for aggro players, leaving me open to get passed things like a Steelblade Supremacy for my third pick. On Rhinar I got to grab tons of Primeval Bellows, and even a Bloodrush Bellow. Ended up 13-5 for the weekend across three events which I'm pretty happy with.

I'm jealous, I'm only going to be able to hit up two of my local Farewell events.

Anyone here opening up some Everfest on Friday? I'll be opening some, a combination of gambling endorphins along with hoping to pad out my trade binder a bit to make the transition into ProQuests a little easier.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I don't love the price point but I'm still excited to use my copy as a great primer/introduction for friends to the game, since it has really simple cards that give a snapshot of Brute and Warrior gameplay. Should just be a few bucks cheaper, frig.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
The game is also skill-oriented in a way that if you're not playing well, having a Fyendal's Spring Tunic in your expensive deck isn't going to save you from someone playing something off-meta/undertuned to a high skill level. I didn't buy any legendaries until I had been playing for a few months, I still did well in armories. It wasn't until I was really able to appreciate the breakpoints where an extra resource would have won me a game, or an extra block from an Arcanite Skullcap, etc, that I took the plunge into some important cards.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Pre-release weekend! Anyone hitting up some Uprising events?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
We just wrapped up Canadian Nationals this past weekend, and it was a lot of fun. I was lucky to be part of the judge team, and got to see a lot of high-level play and great people. Really happy with the direction the game has taken and I'm looking forward to where it goes from here.

Any other Canadian FAB players here?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
If any goons are looking to get into FAB and want to ask any questions, feel free to send me a PM or something! I've been involved with the game since September 2021 now and have been having a lot of fun with organized play the entire time. I got involved with the judge program a while back and actually managed to become one of the first Level 2 judges in Canada (3rd or 4th I think?). Local events have been firing off consistently with a larger and larger playerbase, prices on things have stabilized due to the revamp of set releases with FAB2.0, and the diversity of viable deck choices has been great for a while now. I just wanted to gently nudge this thread.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Levia has been my #1 favorite hero since I bought the old Blitz Levia and Boltyn precons as my first FAB purchase, so I'm happy she's finally getting a big bag of goodies with DtD.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I think they didn't include them because it's a supplemental/non-draftable set. But you can still track down the Boltyn and Levia precon decks somewhere I bet!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
If anyone of you are in Canada I'd love to toss a bunch of cards (commons, rares, majestics) in a mailer and send them to you to help out if you have a general idea of what you'd want.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't follow Flesh and Blood, but I'm seeing a lot of Hobby Drama about something at Nationals and Pummels.

Sorry to butt into your thread, but can someone please explain to me what all the hullaballoo is about if I don't play FAB but do play enough other TCGs to me that you don't have to explain what a trigger is?

Here's the super quick and dirty version:

Player 1 attacked, and played an additional card called a reaction (Pummel) that causes their opponent to discard a card from hand if the modified attack hits.
Player 2 is hit by the attack.
Player 1 (either forgets, in good faith, or because they didn't believe they needed to) does not prompt Player 2 to resolve the on-hit discard effect created by Pummel.
Player 2 adjusts life totals, "forgets" to discard the card since they were not verbally prompted and an opponent's trigger is not their responsibility.
Player 1 ends their turn after the attack.
Sometime in the next turn or so the missed trigger/effect was noticed and then welp.

Not the greatest description but it's generally accurate.

The big hubbub is yet another long-winded discussion about player responsibilities in a professional-level event, Player 2 admitting publicly they angle shot in hopes the opponent would forget the trigger, content creators trying to stir the pot, should maintaining complicated board states and policing your opponent be part of the skill check of higher level events, etc.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

i poop fire posted:

I'm trying to grind more Azalea reps for my local Pro Quest next weekend. Is anybody doing CC testing on talishar?

I've been jamming a bunch of Talishar games with a bunch of my locals and with randoms too. I'm definitely down to play some games at some point, I'll DM you my Discord info and we can try to set something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I lost my win-and-in for Top 8 at the one PQ (37 players) I was able to attend. Lots of fun though, first season in a while I was able to play instead of having to judge multiple events so I'm really happy. I'm hoping I've bugged enough people in the local area to get judge-certified that now I don't have to feel obligated to do it.