Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Game good.

I tried the tutorial on felttable around when UPR came out, and ended up trading in a few hundred bucks worth of MTG cardboard for fun cardboard.

Then I turned into this guy.

Looking forward to the PvE mode theyve been teasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Heath posted:

I haven't gotten to play much but they're bringing Prism back so I can finally use the deck I built and played once

The new Prism is a lot different and the Monarch version of Luminaris is still banned in CC. New young Prism + old Luminaris in blitz is probably going to be hilarious though.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I managed to make it through the prerelase weekend without getting the cold foil Prism. Time to watch ebay, I guess.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
My LGS is doing the HP1 blitz precons for skirmish s7.

Hopefully they have enough Bravos.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Heath posted:

I have those already, I was just hoping for a new Prism precon. I have been trying to get my Magic friends to play this with me but they whine about it being too expensive or hard to get in to do the precons are usually as far as I can get with them

I put together a $40 iyslander CC deck complete with sideboard for somebody a couple months ago. For the price of a single revised edition dual land (these are still $300-400 right?) you could have a zero compromise competitive Bravo or Dash deck.

That said, the new history pack 1 precons are pretty well balanced against each other if youre just looking to pick up a few for kitchen table business. The only one that really sucks is Kano because the equipment is bad. You could grab the HP1 Bravo, Viserai, Dorinthea, Dash and have a full 4 player UPF quasi-commander thing going on.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The gauntlet series on the main FAB TCG youtube channel is usually pretty good. They have deck tech videos with brief explanations of the key cards for two heroes and then a demo game.

Like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQrKg7roTI

If you'd rather read than watch youtube, the fabrary.net public deck search lets you specify decks with associated notes which are usually deck primers.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

My friends are interested in this, and want to play Blitz and Pit Fight. They're mostly Commander players. I decided I need a Cat deck, and it looks like there's a build-around in Crouching Tiger. How is that deck in both formats? I assume Katsu is the hero I want for it?

Or Benji. https://fabrary.net/cards/benji-the-piercing-wind

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

My friends are interested in this, and want to play Blitz and Pit Fight. They're mostly Commander players. I decided I need a Cat deck, and it looks like there's a build-around in Crouching Tiger. How is that deck in both formats? I assume Katsu is the hero I want for it?

It looks like the Ira deck in the professor party box is a crouching tiger build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekqqy9eCobE

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Bright Lights pre-release had me do a 180 on this set. I wasn't interested at all, but Teklovossen's infinite fridge speaks to me as a control fan. Being able to just replace your armor as it gets beaten up from blocking is very neat.

LifeLynx posted:

Edit: drat, Prism vs. Levia. Why print two precons in the same set where one precon completely shuts down the other?

The Prism deck should actually dumpster the Levia deck. Block with your heralds and get some auras out while she kills herself with blood debt.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
If you're looking for blitz and proxying the equipment anyway, Kassai is probably the most consistent.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

jasoneatspizza posted:

Thinking about picking this up. Got a couple of those blitz starter decks. Anyone have any tips for the Azalea blitz deck? I've been learning the game against AI opponents on felt table, and so far managed just one win. It feels like other heroes have all these reaction cards, and I always fall behind when I play too many defense cards. But then I play too few and eat 9 damage in a turn.

Also an Azalea-enjoyer here, so assuming you mean this deck https://fabtcg.com/decklists/azalea-outsiders-pre-constructed-blitz-deck/

Basically everything in here is a worse version of what you'd normally use, except for the red Infecting Shots and the blue Spire Snipings.

A typical turn for the precon is going to be: try to peek at the top of your deck with Ravenous Rabble or Scout The Periphery to see if you can activate Azalea, play a buff (or two), pitch a yellow or blue to load one of the 1-cost arrows, then use the floating resource to fire the arrow. Use a 0-cost arrow instead if you cant afford the resources to buff/load/fire a 1-cost. Any extra arrows you can use to block. You can only load 1 arrow per turn with that deck, so the 'go again' on Falcon Wing isn't super helpful. They're there to take the place of a 0 cost arrow that you would actually use, like Drill Shot.

You can basically ignore aim counters since a real Azalea deck would be using Death Dealer, and it's nearly always going to be a better value to buff the arrow with another pump instead of activating crow's nest.

I don't like Toxicity because it encourages people to block but doesn't actually make it harder for them to block, and it only blocks 2 defensively. I'd just use it for pitch.

For a budget Azalea ($40 @ tcgplayer) I'd probably do this: https://fabrary.net/decks/01HCBRSP93XN6J1NCVD5PC1X5V
The infinite money version looks similar: https://fabrary.net/decks/01HCBSBAJ6Z31V2CVJC3A1NP1M

High power Azalea revolves around shooting Red In The Ledger as often as possible. Tutor it with nock the deathwhistle if necessary, then recycle it with codex of frailty or memorial ground to fire again.

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2023

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

jasoneatspizza posted:

Planning to go to a Blitz event at the local game store tomorrow. Current, slightly modified precon deck I'll be using:

https://fabdb.net/decks/XVqdZgOp

This list seems really light on buffs, if you have access to more pumps you might want to cut some arrows and add another way to boost your shots. Since you only get to fire one per turn, it's pretty important that it's a tall one. Just for reference, I run 10 buffs and 14 arrows in my blitz list. If you have any Take Cover (Red) or Fate Foreseen (Red) from that ARC pile you found, those would be good additions.

You should shoot an arrow first turn if you're reasonably sure you can get them to leak damage or have a really disruptive on-hit effect, like frailty into fai/lexi/kassai/pistol dash. If you dont think you can get them to equipment block or leak some damage, it's probably not worth it. That's something that you'll need to feel out based on how people play in your local meta, though.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
My LGS is going to host a ProQuest in 3 weeks and a bunch of Dromai assholes will surely be there. Maybe I should just play Bravo.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
People are selling the Round the Table decks individually on tcgplayer. There's not a lot of value there, since the whole set of 4 with the playmat is $60-$70, but if you only needed Ira it's $22.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Blitz is basically Yu-Gi-Oh, the games are over in 3 turns. I try to avoid playing Azalea in blitz because she's midrange and the whole meta is redline aggro unga bunga poo poo.

That said, Codex of Bloodrot is probably better in blitz than Codex of Frailty since you want that incidental damage. I think I'd replace Ridge Rider Shot with Searing Shot, and Scout the Periphery with Release the Tension (or lace with frailty if you dont have RtT).

You also want 2 more yellows. Dead Eye is the obvious choice but if you don't have access to that, then 2 yellow Read the Glide path would work for now.

On turn 0 you shouldn't go tall unless you can dominate it. Outside of turn 0 it's ok to threaten 9-12 damage without dominate and force them to give up some cards.

Your kill turn will probably be a gigantic dominated arrow, or some rain raisins business with bolt'n'shot+another arrow. Also keep in mind that you can e.strike with the draw a card mode and pop your boots to give it 'go again', if you can activate Death Dealer as well then you've cycled 2 extra cards that turn. Don't forget you can blow up the Bullseye Bracers for free 'go again' on a bolt'n'shot if necessary.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I'm trying to grind more Azalea reps for my local Pro Quest next weekend. Is anybody doing CC testing on talishar?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Someone sold me two giant four-row boxes of FAB today for real cheap, and I spent the afternoon sorting through it. Completely overwhelmed, but I think I got a combo Katsu deck and a pre-Bright Lights Dash deck out of it so far. It's all from Arcane Rising, Crucible of War, Monarch, Tales of Aria, Everfest, and History Pack 1. I found some nice stuff in there like a cold foil Aether Ironweave, which I'm going to trade for staples from newer sets.

That sounds like a nice haul. You could probably throw together a reasonable Dash deck between the ARC and HP1 piles if you felt like it. Likely a Chane or Prism blitz deck, too.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I ended up taking 3rd at the Pro Quest with Azalea. There was a reasonable spread of heroes at the event. I played against a Viserai in round 1, which is a hero I hadnt seen anywhere in months.

Tarpit Trap saved me from getting my hero text wiped out by Dishonor, so I'll definitely be keeping that in the list.

Picked up a cold foil Maxx from the top 8 prize pool.

This is Lexi's last weekend in CC, but I think Dash I/O is going to take her place pretty quickly once more people start remembering that High Octane + Tome of Fyendal is basically Three of a Kind.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
It was a smaller event, something like 23 players?

For budget CC I think Bravo is probably still the cheapest thing to build. Tectonic Plating is like $30, Crater Fist is $10? If you skip the Command & Conquers and pick up a DTD Crown of Providence youre talking like $140 if you had to buy everything.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Lexi is officially LL, and James White said they're going to start doing LL checks every Monday with bans effective that Friday.

https://fabtcg.com/articles/ll-update-nov23/

Dromai is probably next.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Make some indication that defense reactions need their cost paid to block with, unlike any other card type. (Except block cards but those are new and I think rare.)

Defense reaction cards don't actually "block" they're "played." That's an important distinction because they're supposed to be played out after blocks are declared in the reaction phase, and playing a card means paying for it.

Block cards are weird because you don't play those, theyre just block value + some text when you block. I have to keep reminding people not to arsenal them because you literally can't get them out without a way to cycle your arsenal.

LifeLynx posted:

Do you have your list?

Yep, I ran this. https://fabrary.net/decks/01HENEGACXWVKPNHMYG7Q08GWN

The matchups tab has my sideboard plan for who I expected to see.

Bravo is missing from the matchups but it's just "bring all 73 cards and go first"

Some preemptive clarification of Spire Sniping stuff:
Death Dealer -> Spire Sniping -- the draw from Death Dealer happens before the peeking at the top 2 because the DD effect has to complete before we can move to another trigger.
Skullbones Crosswrap -> Spire Sniping -- Spire Sniping resolves before the Opt because flipping the card is part of the cost to activate the Opt effect.

Heath posted:

Also distinguish an "Attack Action" from an "Attack." Every single time I play this game I have to explain that even though a weapon says "Once per turn action - Attack" that is not, in fact, an attack action, even though it is an action, in which you attack.

Weapon attacks are Attack Actions with the Class and Talent type of the weapon.

Fai attacking with a Searing Emberblade (https://fabrary.net/cards/searing-emberblade) is a Draconic Ninja Attack Action (which counts towards itself for the 2 Draconic link requirement for 'go again').

Cards differentiate this by specifically including or omitting the word "card." To use Fai as an example again, Uprising (https://fabrary.net/cards/uprising-red) affects Searing Emberblade attacks but Lunging Press does not (https://fabrary.net/cards/lunging-press-blue)

edit: looks like i answered this while you were replying

Heath posted:

Yes but things that affect an "attack action" do not affect weapon attacks.

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 7, 2023

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The first weekend of December is looking pretty stacked for local events. We have 2 skirmishes and a CC 1K.

I'm confident in my Azalea for the 1K, but I haven't done much blitz since last skirmish season. Hopefully young Prism works into the new mechs and I don't have to learn a new deck.

The prizes this season are cold foil teklo cores, which look fantastic. https://fabtcg.com/articles/skirmish-season-8-events/

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
We're getting adult Kassai, finally! Her text looks fun.

https://fabtcg.com/heroes/kassai-of-the-golden-sand/

Worlds is this weekend in Barcelona.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Worlds did not go the way I thought it would.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Chane is out and Kassai will probably LL before my local Skirmishes, so I guess I can just play whatever.

Maybe I'll run something toxic like the TCC box guardian with Staunch Reponses and Unmovables plus ~30 copies of chivalry if Kano doesn't make it. Those CF Teklo Cores are sick.

That might even work if Kano does make it since you can run 4AB and 34 blues.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Both Kassai and Kano are now LL in blitz. I didn't expect both of them to leave, but I'll take it. This weekend's skirmishes should be interesting.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, the new LL point values are pretty aggressive. Speculation is that they did that to accelerate the exit of some of the decks they think are too out of line with the power level they want for the game. I do hope they roll it back once the Uprising crew is gone, or they start reprinting heroes faster. They did say there's 15 heroes coming in 2024, hopefully one of them is Ice :colbert:

LifeLynx posted:

As a new player I'm shaken that four heroes have LL'd from Blitz and two from CC in the two months I've been into the game. Ira is close in Blitz. Getting a taste of that old Magic feeling of "Why bother building anything, it could get banned suddenly".

If it makes you feel any better, Kano and Kassai were both released in 2020 and Ira was literally the first playable hero in the game. Skirmishes happen twice a year, which is when blitz heroes earn their LL points.

LifeLynx posted:

I built a budget Dash deck for Blitz. It really helped that I pulled a Teklo Foundry Heart and my second Spark of Genius in a HP1 box I got for $50. I could use a Vizertronic Model i and 2x Pulsewave Harpoon, but am I really going to put money into those when Dash is in the top 50% of Living Legend points? Also a Crown of Providence, but let's see if I'm still playing in a few months before dropping $90 on a single card.

They have said they want people to get attached to the heroes, and they've already printed another Dash. I imagine they'll keep printing new Dash heroes as previous incarnations get close to LL. So unless you hit a Dash that has a hero ability that you hate, you should be fine to lean into it.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Maybe I should get some custom tokens with dril tweets on them. There's a local dude who has some anime stuff on seismic surges.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I won our local skirmish with OG Prism without taking a single loss. It'll be cool to have my name on the list of point contributors whenever she hits LL in blitz.

There was lots of Briar, Ira, and Emperor.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Death Dealer is massively better than Sandscour because it gives you a five card hand. Death Dealer + Skullbone Crosswrap + Red in the Ledger are basically what makes her deck work. If you can get all of that, you can do cheaper substitutions for basically everything else.

Buying Azalea right now might suck. There's some Arakni hype driving the Codex of Frailty prices up. You can get away with playing yellow Memorial Grounds instead, but thats a huge power difference.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The new Prism spoiler has me pretty psyched. The DTD Luminaris sucked really badly, so I'm glad they're fixing that so soon. The herald/angels deck will actually work once HVY comes out.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Betsy and Kayo won the two events I went to.

I didn't win either event, but I did pull the legendary warrior chest and the Kassai marvel. I guess she's plan B if Azalea doesn't work out in the new meta.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
It kinda feels like adult Kayo is the second coming of Starvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
LSS revealed 3 of the heroes from Part the Mistveil - https://fabtcg.com/articles/mst/

We're getting an assassin, illusionist, and a ninja. All three have the new "Mystic" talent and a secondary resource called Chi that we dont know much about.

The new illusionist looks very cool, and she even has 40 life this time so she might not be DoA.

They also unveiled a new box set like the "round the table" professor thing that comes with a playmat, the 3 blitz decks for the above heroes, and some boosters.