Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jcam posted:

Finally managed to slap together the Bravo deck I’ve wanted to play for a while, and did my first Blitz event tonight. Exactly the playstyle shift I wanted as a break from three or four straight months of Kano in both CC and Blitz, my brain needed a vacation.

For even more of a vacation, try running a Prism deck. Every attack action has a cost of 1 or 2, and the only other cards you care about cost 4. Just... don't actually expect to win, Prism is kind of bad at Blitz because of Phantasm on all her attack actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm looking forward to Everfest, and as a Prism player, I'll just say that Prism didn't really get much from the set (I don't think anything actually works with her mechanic in the set) but Illusionists as a whole got some good cards. I'm looking forward to playing around with 0-cost auras and selling Prism's Shields for silver.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Our store had to postpone their Farewell to Rathe event because of public health restrictions, so we missed out on being in the big draw. Ah well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I didn't pull any Ls or the gem from my case, but I did get a cold foil crown and the extended art Guardian armor, so I shouldn't complain too much. Now I just need to see about picking up the Ms that I need for my dumb deck ideas.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm playing jn my local PQ on Sunday, asking around, it sounds like there's going to be 3-4 Prisms, so... Fractal is going to be pulling some weight I think. I'm not expecting to win or even make the top 8, but if I do somehow squeeze in, then I can at least hope for the Cold Foil Prism.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jeeves posted:

It just seems self-defeating to make a product and label it as “meant for new players!” and yet almost entirely include stuff only current players would want, like foil versions of old cards and stuff.

Even the Blitz decks are kind of crazy hard to play for a brand new player. They need to release like 10 dollar Ira-level decks if they actually want to maybe entice new people.

Or maybe have stuff that slowly grows in complexity as you add cards like the NISEi System Gateway did for Netrunner?

I think a big bar of entry right now is how warping legendary equipment can be, and long-term players usually have most if not all of the equipment for their characters. I know LSS has been coming out with lower powered M versions, so hopefully they'll ban L equipment in blitz after another set or two. Or more places need to run commoner formats and just allow a new player to enter with one of the premade blitz deck despite them breaking the rules of commoner.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pyronic posted:

The thing about Skullcap and Tunic is that there just weren't similar enough equipment in those slots (or more variety) Skullcap is basically worthless if we get a 2 defense temper helm with any ability on it in a non-arcane meta.

The new chest in the Classic Battles box (and upcoming lgs promo) is just as good as tunic in a lot of matches, especially blitz where sometimes you dont even get to turn 3, let alone turn 6.

Oh, I know, but then you also have stuff like Valiant Dynamo and Crown of Seeds effectively giving +1 health every turn, Braveforge Bracers giving a repeatable +1 atk, New Horizon giving much more flexibility to Rangers, ect ect. It can be discouraging for a new player to come in, and then get curbstomped because their opponent's equipment can just generate so much more value even over a shorter format like blitz, and most of the equipment is 3-figures in cost still. Hopefully the Historic packs will help curb the cost though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think they're starting to head in that direction, Everfest had a few M equipment that were similar-to-but-weaker versions of L equipment (Earthlore Bounty to Tectonic Plate, and Mask of the Pouncing Lynx to Mask of Momentum, and Vexing Quillhand to Grasp of the Arknight). They're still powerful cards compared to the common equipment for those slots that you want if you're running those classes and not running the L equipment, but they're also $5-10 instead of $100+. Plus considering the faster style of Blitz, you're liable to get as much (or more) use out of them than the L equivilants.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jcam posted:

Pre-release weekend! Anyone hitting up some Uprising events?

I'm hitting up one on Sat, but it's too hot on Sunday to go to the other FLGS for theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I could be wrong, but I THINK the blank equipment is the most expensive of the three. The Even Bigger Than That is a full-art variant, the other is just a standard promo. Dunno how much they're worth offhand though.