Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends are interested in this, and want to play Blitz and Pit Fight. They're mostly Commander players. I decided I need a Cat deck, and it looks like there's a build-around in Crouching Tiger. How is that deck in both formats? I assume Katsu is the hero I want for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I traded some Magic stuff for four Monarch Blitz decks: Levia, Chane, Prism, and Boltyn. Time to learn to play! Any easily missed rules I should know about?

Edit: drat, Prism vs. Levia. Why print two precons in the same set where one precon completely shuts down the other?

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 29, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Me and two other friends today played the first time, and decided to play multiplayer. We're experienced Magic players. One guy had opened and looked at some cards before, another had never seen a card, and I had goldfished a few times and read up a bit. And surprisingly, it went smooth. Games are very quick, and we decided this will be our Commander-style game when we're tired of or don't have time for Commander.

I have some nitpicks with the card design. Most of all I think "Go again" is real dumb-sounding and there should be an icon like an hourglass or something to represent action points.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's crazy, the average price I see for competitive Blitz decks is $12... and then another $160 in equipment cards. Should be real easy to proxy equipment cards among friends.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Anyone interested in buying a collection, or at least a bunch of good cards? I have a basically complete Lexi deck before the last set or so, some other Ls, etc. DM me if interested.

I was thinking about posting to ask if anyone had any dirt cheap stuff I could grab. I actually have a Lexi blitz precon coming in the mail today, but I haven't played her yet. I also want to build a Crouching Tiger deck, but some of the cards I need might only be printed in the Round the Table box set so I doubt anyone has those cards individually. My friends are playing casually and money's real tight right now, so I can't really spend much... I do have some Magic stuff if you or anyone is looking to trade.

Mask of the Three Tails
Pouncing Paws
Blood Scent
Bittering Thorns RR YY
Flex Claws Y
Flying Kick RR BB
Growl RR YY
Leg Tap RR YY
Mauling Qi RR
Salt the Wound YY
Tiger Eye Reflex YY BB

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Someone sold me two giant four-row boxes of FAB today for real cheap, and I spent the afternoon sorting through it. Completely overwhelmed, but I think I got a combo Katsu deck and a pre-Bright Lights Dash deck out of it so far. It's all from Arcane Rising, Crucible of War, Monarch, Tales of Aria, Everfest, and History Pack 1. I found some nice stuff in there like a cold foil Aether Ironweave, which I'm going to trade for staples from newer sets.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

That sounds like a nice haul. You could probably throw together a reasonable Dash deck between the ARC and HP1 piles if you felt like it. Likely a Chane or Prism blitz deck, too.

Yeah I threw together a Dash deck. I'm mostly missing red and blue T-Bones, one Teklo Core, one Spark of Genius, and cards from Bright Lights.

Chane was my favorite of the precons I played, so I might fix that one up with the cards in the collection. And take out the banned ones, even though they're not banned in UPF. I hated Prism.

If you want to see what I have for sale/trade from the collection, it's in an SA-Mart thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989356

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

I ended up taking 3rd at the Pro Quest with Azalea. There was a reasonable spread of heroes at the event. I played against a Viserai in round 1, which is a hero I hadnt seen anywhere in months.

Tarpit Trap saved me from getting my hero text wiped out by Dishonor, so I'll definitely be keeping that in the list.

Picked up a cold foil Maxx from the top 8 prize pool.

This is Lexi's last weekend in CC, but I think Dash I/O is going to take her place pretty quickly once more people start remembering that High Octane + Tome of Fyendal is basically Three of a Kind.

Hell yeah, good job. How many players? I still haven't played CC yet. Blitz is fun but I see how it shuts out a lot of slower strategies. I'm considering building a budget CC deck and bringing it to a local event about 25 minutes from me.

From what I was reading, people think Ninjas are going to be the best archetype in a post-Lexi format.

I sorted through all that bulk, kept three of each card, and now I have roughly 2400 commons and rares to give away to my friends.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Magic learned the "legendaries should be one per deck!" rule is a terrible design decision long ago. It only sounds good from a flavor perspective, but the designers need to only think about it for more than a few seconds to see it's a bad idea for gameplay. I have issues with the card designs and templating, but that's the only rule I think is an obvious mistake. Glad to see one of those cards banned.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

My one big gripe with this game as a total amateur and not very frequent player is that I hate the phrasing "Go again" rather than... Anything else. "Add/gain 1 action point" feels like it would be way more appropriate and easy to understand even though I believe adding an action point is cumulative while multiple instances of Go Again are not. But this is the biggest stumbling block I have faced in my vain attempts to get people to learn this game.

Yes! Literally anything other than "Go again". And you're right, there are cards which give action points, which makes it more confusing.

UX/UX gripes:

Make the energy cost larger and white. It doesn't stand out against the red.

Attack icon should be swapped with the value. The value is the most important information, not the icon. Remove the icon and circle on cards that don't have it.

Card types should probably be separated from the hero class somehow so you don't have "Elemental Ranger Action - Attack" squished into a tiny box. I do appreciate the different border treatments, they even work well when combining traits.

Template the wording better to not shrink text size smaller than Yu-Gi-Oh. People over 30 want to play this game, too.

Make some indication that defense reactions need their cost paid to block with, unlike any other card type. (Except block cards but those are new and I think rare.) I know it's a different phase, it's still unclear in a game where they're very good about using reminder text. Much better than Magic, I have to say, where they've lost touch with the average player to where you have to be very rules-savvy to parse what some new cards do.

Have an indicator for rainbow vs. cold foil. It can't be hard.

i poop fire posted:

I ended up taking 3rd at the Pro Quest with Azalea. There was a reasonable spread of heroes at the event. I played against a Viserai in round 1, which is a hero I hadnt seen anywhere in months.

Tarpit Trap saved me from getting my hero text wiped out by Dishonor, so I'll definitely be keeping that in the list.

Picked up a cold foil Maxx from the top 8 prize pool.

This is Lexi's last weekend in CC, but I think Dash I/O is going to take her place pretty quickly once more people start remembering that High Octane + Tome of Fyendal is basically Three of a Kind.

Do you have your list? I do love rangers in every game....

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I went to a local event yesterday. Really great atmosphere, it reminded me of the early Magic days before everyone got grumpy and tryhard. People were giving each other staple cards, clearly announcing their triggers and cards played, etc.

CC is wild compared to Blitz. There's way more interaction and blocking going on. A lot of games I watched ended with one player gaining advantage and the opponent having no choice but to block with their entire hand every turn. But the gameplay to get there was full of interaction, more than I expected for a game without raw counterspells.

Their next event is Blitz, but I'm not confident yet to put down $20 for a Skirmish. I'll try a regular event in the future, after I manage to collect and test the kind of Crouching Tiger Ira deck I want.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Clash is almost identical to the Clash ability from Magic. It wasn't well-liked there at all, but FAB has a whole subset of cards that care about 6-power attacks, so it could play well with that strategy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As a new player I'm shaken that four heroes have LL'd from Blitz and two from CC in the two months I've been into the game. Ira is close in Blitz. Getting a taste of that old Magic feeling of "Why bother building anything, it could get banned suddenly".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Yeah basically everything I've had interest in playing is gone lol

I built a budget Dash deck for Blitz. It really helped that I pulled a Teklo Foundry Heart and my second Spark of Genius in a HP1 box I got for $50. I could use a Vizertronic Model i and 2x Pulsewave Harpoon, but am I really going to put money into those when Dash is in the top 50% of Living Legend points? Also a Crown of Providence, but let's see if I'm still playing in a few months before dropping $90 on a single card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I played in a prerelease today and loved it. Compared to Magic where you pick 23 cards, make cuts, and add 17 lands, getting to play every single one of the cards I wanted was amazing. I had to add some subpar cards to make it to 30 cards, but even a bad FAB card is situationally good - plus they all pitch for resources. Really good system. The only negative to it is the equipment; mine never blocked for anything, and I didn't even get a chest piece. Getting lucky and opening a good piece of equipment can make a huge difference. It's not as bad as unbeatable bombs in Magic limited, but you start with it in play....

I put together a Betsy deck because I opened a lot of wager cards and drat, whenever I had five resources to play a 3-cost attack with wager and activate her overpower ability, I was way ahead. If I opened the cards to make it more consistent - more wager attacks or vigor tokens to save cards in my hand to pitch/block - I would have gone 4-0.

There are a lot of 2 blocks in this set. I think they were trying to craft an environment where block cards (they block for 3 or 4) are used to block and attacks are meant to, well, attack. And it really works. I did lose one game because I attacked with that one attack that, when it blocks, can have a card discarded to it to give it +3 block. That hurt. But it's a prerelease, it's all about learning.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I will say, Sealed feels rough for this set. The delta between having a rare headpiece and not is huge. One of the core mechanics (clash) can be super swingy and a clash you should win a huge amount of the time (Kayo vs Warrior, for instance) going poorly can throw tempo into the trash and piss all over its corpse.

Clash was despised in Magic, and that was in 2007. It's too random. If it was a mixed class set maybe you could be sure your Guardian deck would win a clash against a Ninja, but here it's likely your opponent has a similar power average in their deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

It feels even worse than MtG Clash. In Magic, losing a clash only failed to give you a bonus to your card, so you paid a half mana or so too much for the effect you got.

Clash also let you manipulate your top deck, either for subsequent clashes or for your draw.

In FaB losing a clash benefits your opponent. Since the majority of clashes are when you defend, you can't rely on the clash for your turn AND your opponent gets to have a blocking turn with knowledge that they have the clash benefits if they won the clash.

And since FaB clash doesn't let you scry/opt the card to top or bottom it feels rougher in multiples.

It's really bad in sealed. Apparently it's making big waves for Kayo in CC however.

I might play in the Road to Nationals. It's CC, which I'm not super familiar with, and I'm trying to narrow down an OG Dash list. Waiting for people more experienced than me to start putting out decklists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

LSS revealed 3 of the heroes from Part the Mistveil - https://fabtcg.com/articles/mst/

We're getting an assassin, illusionist, and a ninja. All three have the new "Mystic" talent and a secondary resource called Chi that we dont know much about.

The new illusionist looks very cool, and she even has 40 life this time so she might not be DoA.

They also unveiled a new box set like the "round the table" professor thing that comes with a playmat, the 3 blitz decks for the above heroes, and some boosters.

I want Crouching Tiger to be good. Can't wait for Zen.