Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

First Time Caller posted:

I have this weird thing where I constantly try to do more with a hand than is really possible. It's like I feel compelled to keep every 4 card hand in order to use all 4 cards. If I don't use all the cards on my turn I have failed. I only arsenal a card if I can't use all 4 cards. I play Rhinar and Boltyn mostly. How do I kick this really bad habit? I *know* as Rhinar I should probably block with 1, pitch 1 to play 1, and arsenal the last, and be happy with that 6 or 9 attack with 1 intimidate making them discard a card they probably dont want to... but then the little guy on my shoulder is like "but what if you take the 6 damage they are sending your way so that you can use all four cards in your hand and pop a piece of equipment for a whopping 7 or 10 damage instead"
Different decks run differently in terms of turn cycles. It might be a good play to intentionally block/double/triple-block, make a small tempo play, and then set up your arsenal, to make a 4-card or 5-card offensive play the following turn, instead of trying to balance attack and defense in the immediate term.

Especially with Rhinar where you can easily have a strong weapon attack by just pitching 1, it's not as big a deal to block 2, pitch 1 to attack, and then arsenal 1.

The mindset I'd consider is that you should proactively rate your hand and "race rate" versus your opponent. If you're gonna eat a naked 7 damage hit, but you can do 10+ with your 4-card hand, it's probably worth it to race. If you need setup, or need a better hand to get in an optimal attack, block and regroup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU