Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Picked up the ira welcome decks to try this out with and have had a blast. My wife who typically only likes board games is also getting into it and wants to get a booster box and do sealed deck games. Living the dream y'all.

Is it pretty safe to pick up just about any of Welcome to Rathe / Arcane / Monarch / Aria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

We bought a box of WTR and played sealed deck. Deckbuilding was a bit daunting for my partner who has never played a TCG but despite initial complaints, started showing an interest in reading what all the cards for their selected hero did to decide what generics to throw in - I liked seeing that :D

Main trouble with playing sealed deck for us was only having certain token cards, we pulled all the heroes but not a lot of their weapons. We ended up carefully cracking the rest of the packs through the top so we could pull out all the token cards in the box.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

We decided which hero to play mostly based off of how many rares we pulled for a given hero. She played Rhinar and I played Bravo. For Bravo it was pretty obvious I needed a bunch of 3 pt cards to pitch for his expensive attacks. My partner had a bit of trouble figuring out Rhinar's discard mechanic but eventually got it. The game was kind of neck and neck the whole time but I ended up with the W. When they had 2 health left it just took one activation of Bravos ability to get Dominate on a 7 power attack card. She didn't have Unmoveable in hand so best she could block with was 5.

After that game we merged leftover cards from the packs we opened and before our next game we'll rejigger our decks with the larger card pool. Then I think we'll try the other two heroes from the same card pool before finishing the box with another sealed deck.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

What makes Staunch Response good in a bravo deck? (I mean the card effect)

The best I can figure is you have a small 1-card efficiency possibility.

In a typical bravo hand I could block with 3 cards and have 9DEF

WIth Staunch, it seems like we're banking on having 2 other blues in hand to get 8DEF for 2 cards (3rrr each).

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Ah, thank you for the reply. I wasn't considering any of your card advantage points at all!

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Seems fun, especially from a deckbuilding angle - but not sure why they're making Bravo "elemental". Is the everfest lore something about our heroes getting imbued with elemental power or some poo poo?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Probably more about keeping your OG heroes from being power crept out of the game as they add talents and elements. :D

That's fine but it'd be great if they could make it thematically sensical :|

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

My flgs ran a farewell to wtr event on saturday, which was my first time drafting this game (or any other for that matter). I built Bravo but didn't know how to play the various matchups that well. I won two games, one against katsu and another against dori. Also lost two games, both against katsu. For whatever reason I couldn't figure out the matchup - but really enjoyed that I couldn't. I had to play super heavy defense and lost due to tempo against both katsu players. I think I needed to forget trying to make big turns and just attack with Anothos to put at least some discard pressure on katsu.

Had a lot of fun, met the group of 12 or so that play regularly, and walked out with a promo rhinar, promo dori, 2 boosters that contained nothing interesting, and a monarch playmat.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I snagged the last preorder at my lgs for ever so I'll be opening a box as well. No luck on boxes here though. 2 boxes of WTR, 1 box of ARC, 2 boxes of MON, and 1 CRU.

Not a single legendary pull.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I bought two boxes and pulled: Arcane Lantern CF, Bravo Star of the Show, Imposing Visage, Dissolution Sphere, Firebreathing, Fractal Replication foil, Vexing Quillhand, 2x Pulverize foil, 2x scour foil, Iyslander, Oath of Steel, Crown of Reflection, Bingo, Runic Reclamation, Ready to Roll, Dreadbone foil, Nerves of Steel foil, 2x Microprocessor

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Back Alley Borks posted:

or if you perform any action other than an attack (as of the new rules, technically you must close the chain before you can perform any non-attack action).

Thought I'd add to this that Instants played in the Reaction step do not close the combat chain.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I have this weird thing where I constantly try to do more with a hand than is really possible. It's like I feel compelled to keep every 4 card hand in order to use all 4 cards. If I don't use all the cards on my turn I have failed. I only arsenal a card if I can't use all 4 cards. I play Rhinar and Boltyn mostly. How do I kick this really bad habit? I *know* as Rhinar I should probably block with 1, pitch 1 to play 1, and arsenal the last, and be happy with that 6 or 9 attack with 1 intimidate making them discard a card they probably dont want to... but then the little guy on my shoulder is like "but what if you take the 6 damage they are sending your way so that you can use all four cards in your hand and pop a piece of equipment for a whopping 7 or 10 damage instead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Thanks for the tips, I'll work on the mental gymnastics of actively rating my hand in terms of damage output against damage taken and see where that takes me. When is it appropriate to run claws rhinar and what advice would you have there on turn cycle?

quote:

I'm playing jn my local PQ on Sunday, asking around, it sounds like there's going to be 3-4 Prisms,
I'm shocked at the fab group at my lgs, i dont think we have any prism players actually