Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

New Year, new puro. Go Shiozaki is challenging his old buddy for the GHC Heavyweight to try and regain the belt he lost back in February before he took 8 months off to have surgery. The preview tags have given some indication of how deliciously stiff this match will be, and Go has added a wrinkle to the match during a press conference. If he wins, he wants Nakajima to reform AXIZ with him. It could be that he just misses his friend, but considering Katsu left AXIZ for Kongoh in 2020 in a misguided effeort to win the belt, Go might just be trying to take him off his game before one of the biggest matches of his life.

In the semi-main event, birthday boy Kenoh has the best present of all, a match with his little brother Kaito Kiyomiya for the GHC National belt. Kenoh will no doubt be salty at this, as he recently went to a time limit draw with his Kongoh stablemate Nakajima for the right to main event this show but couldn't get the result. Kiyomiya has not had the best 2021, losing to Mutoh several times and losing to NOSAWA and not making the N-1 finals, so hopefully he can start turning it around today and make 2022 a good one. These to had a heckin rad match in the N-1 semi finals so got some pretty high hopes for this.

And as a special treat, we are also getting the entire ZERO1 card broadcast live on Wrestle Universe since the two guys in the main event are NOAH guys. I can't comment much on this card because I only know about a quarter of the people, but ASUKA rules, Chris Vice is one of the few wrestlers from WA to make it outside of Australia, Imanari can be good when he's not being dragged down by Pheromones in DDT, and Fuminori Abe is an absolute beast. If his opponent Kitamura is even passable that match has the potential to outshine the main event, which should also be rad as hell as two 50 year old men pummel the poo poo out of each other

forkboy84 posted:

1/1/2022, Saturday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST

ZERO1 Happy New Year 2022
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Junya Matsunaga & Takufumi vs Satsuki Nagao & Takumi Baba
ASUKA & Takuya Sugawara vs Genta Hiriki & Tsugutaka Sato
CYT (Chris Vice & Yoshikazu Yokoyama) vs GanPro (Ken Ohka & Yumehito Imanari)
NWA Intercontinental Tag Team Titles: Gajo & Tomohiko Hashimoto(c) vs Hide Kubota & Yasu Kubota
ZERO1 Junior Double Crown Title: Fuminori Abe(c) vs Shoki Kitamura
ZERO1 World Heavyweight Title: Takashi Sugiura(c) vs Masato Tanaka
Live on Wrestle Universe

4pm JST/6pm AEDT/7am GMT/2am EST/11pm PST

Pro Wrestling NOAH The New Year 2022
Nippon Budokan, Tokyo
Junta Miyawaki & Kinya Okada vs Kai Fujimura & Yasutako Yano
Funky Express (Akitoshi Saito, King Tany & Muhammad Yone) vs Kongo (Manabu Soya, Nioh & Tadasuke)
Kongo (Aleja & Haoh) vs Stinger (Seiki Yoshioka & Yuya Susumu)
Atsushi Kotoge, Daisuke Harada, Hajime Ohara & Ultimo Dragon vs Los Perros del Mal de Japon (Eita, Kotaro Suzuki, NOSAWA Rongai & YO-HEY)
Ikuto Hidaka & Masakatsu Funaki vs Sugiuragun (Kazuyuki Fujita & Kendo Kashin)
GHC Junior Heavyweight Title: HAYATA(c) vs Yoshinari Ogawa
GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Titles: M's Alliance (Keiji Mutoh & Naomichi Marufuji)(c) vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki & Masato Tanaka)
Daiki Inaba, Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba, KENTA & Takashi Sugiura
GHC National Title: Kenoh(c) vs Kaito Kiyomiya
GHC Heavyweight Title: Katsuhiko Nakajima(c) vs Go Shiozaki
Live on Wrestle Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am going to try watching these shows live. No guarantees, my nap was shorter than planned coz someone set off fireworks despite it being way too foggy for that poo poo.

ZERO1 New Years Day shows of the past are usually fun, last year had a 3¾ star match between Tanaka & Hayato Tamura, 2020 had Tanaka & Yuko Miyamoto vs Otani & Kitamura and Hino vs Okabayashi, 2019 had Otani vs Hino, Abe & Ikuto Hidaka vs Haganne Shinnou & SUGI and Sekimoto vs Kohei Sato.

And really don't get to see enough Abe matches live, he rules

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Gonna welcome the new year watching friends just pummel the poo poo out of each other!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I will ring in the new year watching tough old dudes hit each other as hard as possible

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Show is live, doesn't look a massive crowd for Korakuen but not sure how Zero1 shows usually look

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Show is live, doesn't look a massive crowd for Korakuen but not sure how Zero1 shows usually look

Far as I can tell ZERO1 still existing is a minor miracle.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Everyone standing there solemnly and Ohka in the back hamming in up like a jackass :allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh Otani, it's 2:30am can you maybe cut me some slack with this show opening promo?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This is reminding me of when I used to watch UFC shows live & I'd just get increasingly grumpy that the pacing was normal despite it clearly being 3am in my timezone & I need my beauty sleep.

We've gone 15 minutes into the broadcast & not even had the first entrance for the opener yet. Not sure I can handle this so I will wish you well & hope that Abe defends.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

This is reminding me of when I used to watch UFC shows live & I'd just get increasingly grumpy that the pacing was normal despite it clearly being 3am in my timezone & I need my beauty sleep.

We've gone 15 minutes into the broadcast & not even had the first entrance for the opener yet. Not sure I can handle this so I will wish you well & hope that Abe defends.

Have a nice nap, hope you're back to see Katsu kick Go in half.

Supporting the team of not-so-giant Baba, I like his look

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Really hope the black trunks are showing that these guys are rookies because this has been real sloppy in a few places.

Although that strike combination was deliciously stiff

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I gotta dip out for a bit in an hour but hell yes watching some Zero-1 live!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I guess this is Asuka's new gear going forward, thought it might have just been something for SEAd

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Let's go Rampage, ChocoPro and this all at the same time a go

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hey it's Veny!

This match already good

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Purple pants and bright red hair certainly is a look

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Elbow through the face

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What a Veny sault!

This match is a showcase for Veny and it rules

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That match was very good, all four threw some goddamn shots

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hell yeah GanPro boys

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hot take if you have to stand around the ring clapping yourselves

you're not over

GanPro in the mud

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chris Vice does not know proper pushup form

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

OH MY GOD, IT'S TARU

I assume, I don't actually recognise him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SG Bamboo posted:

Kenoh will no doubt be salty

:bignews:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dammit this match is too long, I want to get to Abe and the main event dammit :mad:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's taken nearly two hours, but we're finally at the matches I was watching this show for

Well, the Asuka match was really good

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Guys, you're meant to pull your punches :stonk:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That was loving insane

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i'm here for the main, glad i didn't miss... i assume this is the japanese national anthem? maybe?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Penguin Patrol posted:

i'm here for the main, glad i didn't miss... i assume this is the japanese national anthem? maybe?

Welcome friendo, you missed a real brutal semi-main and a very good Asuka match in the undercard, but everything else is skippable

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

Welcome friendo, you missed a real brutal semi-main and a very good Asuka match in the undercard, but everything else is skippable

i caught up with asuka thanks to the rest of the gdt before jumping up to join the live stuff :)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

These two old bastards were clearly jealous of how bruising the last match was

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
people keep texting me about something or other, my phone is blowing up, shut up i'm watching wrestling

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
now some rear end in a top hat is shooting off fireworks... oh

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
back on topic, this match rules

e: and it's over, they hit each other a lot and it was good, happy new year

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That was great, hopefully Sugi keeping the belt means more partnership between NOAH and Zero1 in the future

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh hey, it's Asuka's partner from earlier. He was good, these two should have a great match

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Not knowing any Japanese, this VTR really feels like the ZERO1 is closing and a bunch of wrestlers are saying goodbye to the company

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol Zero1 got a bunch of wrestlers to do a cameo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NOAH is live with Fulton and Pickering. 10 matches, this'll be a big show