Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Answers Me posted:

Well, I’ve not watched it because why would I, but I’ve seen plenty of people point out that her Christmas speech was clearly recorded a little while ago as it was noticeably absent of any specific reference to recent events, so I should imagine they anticipate her health to be on the decline. Gone by the end of Feb, I reckon…

CON+10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

"goddamnedtwisto" posted:

Hey are you still thinking of doing your talking walks?

A friend who lives in Coventry is following these Coventry based ones https://talkingbirds.co.uk/walk/ and really recommends them, so don't know if it might give you any ideas.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, that's why the basic idea is to strip it all the way back to the original idea except using an old GoPro to film effectively a backing track for it, and just let myself talk over it rather than over-thinking the content. Even as I type that I'm already mentally planning an elaborate chest rig and steadycam setup and basically I need a mental equivalent of a rolled-up newspaper to bop myself with when I start doing that.

Isn't that what those two guys were wearing in those portable digital 'get your booster' rigs?
(Can't find images just now, my googling attempts failing).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NB This poll was 'red wall' that went tory in 2019 only.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1477398022065688583?s=20

Zalakwe posted:

While this is true at a base level it's complicated as gently caress to get charity status and run a charity once you have it. The vast majority of people working in the sector do it as at least somewhat a labour of love.

As someone who works for a small local charity I concur!
We have just three employees, all of us part-time and the FTE salary of the Chief Exec is under £30k
(I'm not sure exactly what it is as I only see the pro-ratad net when it turns up in Xero but a reverse calc based on her hours and without knowing how much NEST / tax code etc comes up to something around £27-£29k). We're all doing substantially over our paid hours and there's no overtime or 'time off in lieu' available.
Fortunately, as you know, I love doing spreadsheets and attempting to bend Salesforce to my will.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All you need to do is phone the police and say "Hi I'm a vulnerable woman and I'll be at home all on my own at 123 Acacia Avenue all night".

I would say 22 Acacia Avenue and then they wouldn't come because they'd know Eddie was there to look after me. (Ps I'm not Charlotte)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Typical police, spying on a harlot and ignoring the murders in the Rue Morgue.

Weren't those a trained chimpanzee or something though? Or am I confusing it with something else? (Doh! My brain went down a totally different track then!)

On further investigation, it was an Orang Utang. Now I wonder if The Librarian would get IDd and arrested by the cops just for being orange.

Honest, Hofficer, I am not under the influence... my brain doesn't need psychoactive ingredients to spin off in wild directions.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

We do not talk about the orangutan!

Is that the first rule of Book Club?
We do not talk about the Librarian?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oo err missus!
So was Pratchett doing a racism when he made the librarian an orangutan?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lincolnshire:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1477711272384909314?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

not surprised it sank. it's made of concrete!

https://londonist.com/london/history/visit-these-concrete-ships-from-wwii

16 ships made of concrete (reinforced with iron) - part of D-day landings preparations) at Rainham marshes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jollity Farm posted:

These nerds aren't washing their cloth masks, are they? And they're reusing the disposable ones over and over, because words don't mean anything.

I had a 'discussion' with someone I know IRL on FB a few months ago on this very subject.

He was talking about the foul gunkiness of facemasks and how unhygienic they were.

I said 'it's the foul gunk from your own lungs, why should you think it's acceptable to spray it over other people instead of confining it to your own face where it has been living in your lungs anyway? And by the way you are supposed to WASH the reusables and change the disposables.' Anyway, he is now muted.

I actually give my reusables a Milton's fluid & boiling water bath in a large cup regularly.

Lungboy posted:

White chocolate cocopops have disappeared recently too, my kids are going to mutiny when they finish the last box we have.

They were a limited edition I think. I bought a box imagining they would be ambrosia but I didn't like them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1478143699330682883?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hey Guav I don't suppose you could think of a new title for the thread this month. I feel sick every time see those words Sir Tiny and his small nipples. And if I'm catching up with the thread while scoffing my lunch or tea, it's particularly bad.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

How about "Sir Tommy, because of his firebombed Astra"?

Yaxley-Lennon's car got done in Telford, he's blaming Pakistanis again

Thanks for the new title :)
I suppose technically Sir Tiny's large warcrimes should make me feel more sick but there we are. No accounting for gut reactions!

Why is the YL thing spoilered?

kingturnip posted:

Fortunately for Keith, Jormbly Crammel isn't currently a member of the Labour party.

Makes a lot of sense that 'Red Wall' voters poll respondents aren't apparently aware of that fact.

As far as I understand it, he is still a member of the LP, just not of the PLP (whip withdrawn). (Though the effect of that is that he would never be selected to stand for Labour at next GE).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 4, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Maugrim posted:

The money went out this morning of course, but from a quick Google I get the impression that it's my responsibility as tenant to make sure the rent gets to his account by the 1st. Is that correct? I guess that would mean I need to move the standing order to like the 28th or something.

He's an extremely spiteful guy so we put a lot of effort into not pissing him off or ever having contact with him if possible.

When I was last renting, my rent was due on the 14th, a careful study of the calendar with the various bank holidays (especially Easter & Xmas/New Year) meant to be sure it was in the landlord's account by 14th, I had to set my standing order for the 9th. My landperson though was a pretty reasonable sort and would have been ok with it landing in a couple of days late so long as there was a bank holiday or something to account for it.

What a page snipe!

13 lucky for some.

I wish I had a puddy tat to post pix of but we're not allowed pets here so I would have to have an indoor cat, but also the thought of a litter tray stinking out my tiny flat and the possibility of a kitty escaping through an open front door into the maze of the building doesn't bear thinking about!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You could have a guinea pig.

I had guinea pigs in my teens. I called them Belka and Strelka.
I also had posters of Lenin on my bedroom walls.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have one of these automatic-cleaning litter trays, originally bought in the beforetimes to try and stop the dog eating cat turds[1] while I was at work[2] but kept on despite the relative priciness of the trays because it really does reduce the litter smell to basically nothing within about ten minutes of being used. And also because I'm a deeply lazy person and a litter tray that just needs cleaning once a month would be worth ten times that to me.

[1] Labrador, nothing else really needs to be said, other than for a while I thought that she was developing a bladder problem because she was pissing on the doormat while I was at work - however I eventually realised she was eating the cat poo poo, which is of course made from the (loving expensive) special food he has to have to make him piss more because the poor little bastard almost died of a urinary blockage that was so painful it took two vials of ketamine to calm him down enough to even get him in the carrier to go to the vets. Turns out more than enough of the active ingredient was making it through his system to mean the dog's lovely warm mid-morning snack was making *her* piss more.
[2] I have a cat flap, but because there's a lot of other cats around who love to just loving wander in - seriously, I left the back door open on a hot day and found one of them taking a poo poo in the spare room - I got one of those electronic ones that work off the chip in his back to only let him in. However the clicking of the mechanism traumatised him enough that he won't go near it now even though I've taken the lock mechanism out (or, more likely, because he's realised it's much more fun to just make me get up and let him out).

Wait why do I have pets again?

re cat flap
Wouldn't work here. I only have two windows, both double-glazed, and between May and November fitted with mosquito/midge screens as I'm so near the river they are horrendous round here throughout summer. My front door opens into a corridor shared with a bunch of other flats.
poopiez (not poppiez)
Nowhere really either to clean out a litter tray, only my bath :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thread's favourite author JKR gets a kicking for anti-semitism.

Source: Heil/news/article-10368289/Jon-Stewart-accuses-JK-Rowling-anti-Semitism-Harry-Potter.html

quote:

'Here's how you know Jews are still where they are': Jon Stewart accuses JK Rowling of anti-Semitism over her depiction of goblins in Harry Potter who run the Gringotts Wizarding Bank

Jon Stewart called the goblins that run Gringotts bank in the Harry Potter universe an anti-semitic trope on his The Problem with Jon Stewart podcast

He questioned why J.K. Rowling chose to 'throw Jews in there to run the f***ing underground bank' in a world where people 'can ride dragons and have pet owls'

Rowling has been mired in controversy since June 2020, when she posted a series of tweets about the transgender community

She was not in attendance for HBO's 20th anniversary 'Return to Hogwarts' reunion special, which featured interviews with numerous cast members

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Reminder that there was a whole book in the Harry Potter series about changing gender via magic in order to get into the girls toilets.

Is this where the terf obsession with men dressing as women to get in the women's toilets comes from?

Just Another Lurker posted:

The very definition of a first world problem. ;)

My feed today will consist of a small tin of sardines, gherkins, nuts & dried fruit (not a diet, just can't be arsed cooking today).

I'm getting my oats today. Slathered in Elmlea Double Light*. Felt I needed some roughage after rather a lot of icecream in the past couple of weeks.

*and discover that there are people who thought Elmlea was actual cream not fake cream! No wonder we got brexit / tories.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Deketh posted:

Any thread recommendations for streaming services? I've never subscribed to one before, thought about Netflix but there's so many flippin options nowadays and I'm definitely not doing more than one.

Depending what you like, get Roku instead. One off payment of about £30 for the gadget. Another £30 (or less) for an hdmi switch if you have a less than very smart tv so you can change gadgets from satellite to roku and 1 other thingy by remote instead of having to keep getting up and switching connections about manually.

Also has an app in it that can stream media from your computer (and maybe phone but I've never tried that) without a wire so long as both on the same network.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

surely with a roku you still need to pay for all the actual content?

Depends. I don't pay for any but if you have got Now etc, you can stream them via Roku. But there's plenty of free stuff on there.

https://twitter.com/ApplecoreKatie/status/1478697472939679745?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Szmitten posted:

For my TV needs I just want access to every episode of Time Team so I can watch a third of one every lunchtime. And the means to do so on a Sky box with Netflix and Amazon connected doesn't seem to be there. :(

There are a lot of episodes on Youtube (I don't know how many exactly)
Also 11 series on All4
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team/on-demand/16521-001

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sinky posted:

I'm sure Patel has an idea about how to deal with the issue of Activist Juries.

For sure at least one voted labour once under Corbyn's leadership so any opinion they have about anything is invalid. See dad of very sick child in hospital railing against Boris (or whatever it was).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

I didn't say "get all three/four" streaming services per month. (I mean you can if you can afford it.)
What I was saying was if you want entertainment, just pick one streaming service and watch what you want on it. If you pick any of those services there is easily a few months worth of entertainment on it. You just signed up for Netflix? Try out the Witcher, Umbrella Accademy and Stranger Things.

If you want to watch specific shows and they are on different streaming platforms, just prioritize which one is easiest to get with the service you have and you can always watch the other shows when you switch providers a few months down the line. You want to watch the Boys and the Expanse? They'll be waiting for you on Prime Video whenever you sign up.

But if you really can't wait, sure go ahead and pirate it so you can have it now.

But it really doesn't seem that convenient to setup a personal media server, download a bunch of shows to have them ready. If it's a show that's not on any service, I get that. But going "A Netflix subscription is no longer the perfectly optimum return of money to entertainment. So now I'll just pirate everything I want from all of them" seems strange.

Between work and a new baby, the wife and I only have like an hour to two a day to watch stuff. So we just focus on one or two series at a time, which helps us to no longer have huge libraries of material to chose from and then spending half an hour trying to choose what to watch.
It's sort of a "want the stuff you have, not want more stuff that you then don't really use."

I also think the earlier post about computer touchers seeing all problems as requiring technical solutions that are simple (to them) rings very true.

It doesn't have to be this hard!
I have a load of films, series etc on a hard disk drive connected to my laptop.

Roku:
I go on the roku and select 'media streaming'.
On my Windows 10 laptop, I type 'media streaming' in the search box and open the app and check the media streaming option is on.
So long as the laptop and roku are both connected to the same wifi connection, roku has a bit of think then pulls up your laptop. Click it, and options appear. you might have to add your entertainment folder to your Windows 10 library if I remember correctly which is about 2 clicks.

Non roku:
Chrome cast play it on your laptop and cast it to the tv.

re Not Watching Everything chat:

I have the entire Outlander. I watched series 1 which ends with jamie and claire sailing off into the sunset in Summer 2020.
I'm torn between my nature as a 'completer' to want to watch all the rest, and the fact that by the end of series 1 I was finding Miss Goody Twoshoes Claire completely annoying.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Does anyone know anything about licensing artwork for commercial use?

A relative who is an artist has been asked by a company to quote to do some artwork that they want to use in many different ways (she doesn't know exactly what yet) and she asked me to suggest what she should charge. She reckons it will take her about 15 days to produce the artwork.

I said £7500 plus licensing fees.

Everyone else is telling her less (£200-£400 a day for example) and she thinks that even that is cheeky and the company will think she is greedy. I said the company will think she is a complete numpty if she charges less.

This particular company bought some art off her a few years ago and it has even been seen on the tv in a news item about them (not about the art but it was there with her name on it quite prominently in the background).

Normally she just does artwork for private individuals or small organisations such as churches so no experience in this larger realm!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Let me begin by saying I have no idea.

I suppose it matters on what the nature of the commercial use is? Are they in competition with other artists for the work?

Not that I'm aware of. As I mentioned, they've used her artwork before and have invited her to do this. (And she probably charged something daft like £500 back then.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The fact that the company didn't jump straight to payment in Exposure Bucks is already a huge leap above what most independent artists get offered for one-off jobs.

I know it's supposed to be an opening offer, but in art terms £12k for a one-off job is billionaire sugar daddy amounts; good on you if you can find someone willing to pay it, but the idea that this is a normal amount to open negotiations with is absolute eye-popping insanity. There was a big discussion some time back about the commission prices one of the real big hitters was charging for furry art, and I think even that was around the $3k mark.

Can I just say that when I asked the original question to which rattle was replying, it wasn't about furry porn, it was about a relative of mine who has been asked to do artwork for a commercial company (who have used her before and who she woefully undercharged!) and, I've just checked, whose senior boardroom members received salaries of over £200k and other benefits (pensions etc) bringing total income EACH to well over £300k! We're not talking skint furries here!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Addendum to earlier post: I shall eventually be ripping my CIAM DVDs with AnyDVD+MakeMKV, transferring the resulting Matroska files to a Kingston DataTraveler Micro 32GB (DTMCK/32GB) and playing them back using the media player app in my TV.

So, please update your XLSXs accordingly - while enjoying your Netflix subscription perhaps?

Let's Run This Joke Into The Ground Oops Too Late

I bought a bunch of 32GB micro sd cards for that very purpose when travelling (32GB being the most versatile across my various gadgets) so I can take the entire Xena Warrior Princess 6 series, various other complete 'box sets' eg Person of Interest, numerous films and ebooks around with me.

I've over 300 films on my harddrive so one of my resolutions this year is to watch 3 a week (with a random number generator to pick which ones so I don't keep starting at A and never getting any further) for the next 2 years so I'll have watched them all.

keep punching joe posted:

Get your mate to rinse them. My company recently paid 2 management consultants a grand a week each for about 3 months and they literally did gently caress all (didn't even try to fire anyone or anything), just sat in a meeting room and hosed about with a spreadsheet (which I had to build for them).

If they can afford 200k salaries for execs then they can pay market rate for graphic design.

I've told her to go in at £12k but I know she won't. We'll see!

But that annoyed the crap out of me when I worked for the NHS. It was the beginning of trusts and a community trust split off from the health authority. At the time I was the only person in the HA doing my particular role involving the estate. The community trust (who had a notion that once you got the freehold of land/property you could do whatever you liked and so we were constantly having to pay specialized consultants to bail them out from ploughing up sites of special scientific interest etc - but I digress - wanted a property portfolio document drawing up. They paid a consultant £60k to do it. The consultant came over to my office,, talked through the land/property with me giving her a floppy disk with all the gen about wayleaves, restrictive covenants, leases, sub-leases etc, typed it out and put it in a fancy cover. £60k. I said to the CEO of the trust, that was all my work and for the price of a day of my salary (very far south of £60k) you could have had all that. "Oh" says he, "but noone would have believed you because you're public sector."

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 7, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

skint or not, you don't know that they're not furries :colbert:

Maybe I should get her to say "I know you're secret furries, give me £12k for my art"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This thing cost £6m and the architect was paid £220k pa by Westminster City Council.

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1424674934207492096?s=20

Article: https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/marble-arch-mound-boss-paid-22650038

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

killerwhat posted:

That seems low to me, assuming they’re self employed drawing stuff. Have to subtract for tax, pension etc perhaps.

Also if you're self-employed, you also have to do all that marketing etc that if you're in employment your employer's business does for you.

It costs my relative upwards of £1300 for a stall for 3 days at an exhibition (it is the best exhibition in the UK for her type of work) let alone the cost of hiring a van to take her stuff and overnight stays. (And they charge sole trader businesses which my relative is exactly the same as Megacorp Inc.)

Suffice to say she has not earned enough to actually pay tax any year for the past 10 years at least let alone even think about pensions!

(She has a number of health conditions: heart, epilepsy, PTSD, which make holding down a regular job just about impossible even if there were any jobs round here that weren't physically demanding).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

I was going to ask "what anthem?" But it's the English one. Alright then, can that only be in England and Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland would get their own anthems?

At least the Welsh one doesn't witter on about saving the monarchy and begging god to make us plebs subservient to said monarch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Even though I am a non-smoker, I used to go out with the smokers because so many decisions were made on that doorstep and everyone from the lowliest clerk to board members even CEO were out there having a crafty 5 mins so it was a great place for finding out what was going on.

Also I resented smokers getting a whole month's extra leave per year when you added up 4 x 15 mins (=smoking time + time to get out of the building and back to your workstation again) fag breaks over a year. Sod that for a game of soldiers. If I were absolute dictator of the world, I would say smokers have to take smoke breaks out of their annual leave. Either that or allow everyone to have all these little breaks every day.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

.nm it's there now must have been a glitch in my twitter. oo err missus.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 8, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Where's the setting to show tweets? I think it might be my google chrome to blame - I updated it yesterday and a few things have gone quirky eg add to Reading List doesn't show up as an option when I click bookmark anymore. (Laptop not phone app)

But yeah, that tweet - I don't think he had a clue about other works, probably just a JKR groupie. I was thinking Water Babies - that's pretty fantastical - for a start.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Tweets don't get shown if there's a :nws: or :nms: tag in the post, to preserve the sensibilities of casual readers, I'm not sure if there's a setting to override that.

I see. I did not know that! What do nws and nms stand for?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Waitrose is cheaper than the Co-op.

Round here we have Home Bargains (1 min walk), Waitrose (3 mins walk), M&S Food (3 mins walk), Iceland (6.5 mins walk), Co-op (9 mins walk) and Lidl (20 mins walk).

Expensiveness: ................ Best for: ............................................................................................. Crap for:

M&S ...................................Expensive exotica.............................................................................. Regular shopping unless you want to get a mortgage out to do the weekly shop
Co-op .................................Being open after 4pm on a Sunday...................................................Tinned veg - it is cheap but by god it is foul
Waitrose ............................Icecream selection, gjetost, generally good range of stuff..............Cheap fish fingers
Lidl..................................... Basics, German or Polish exotica, weird stuff In The Middle.......... Range of most stuff
Iceland *.............................. Range of frozen stuff and cheap shopping (always amazed)..........Range of none frozen stuff
Home Bargains..................Really basic stuff.................................................................................Frozen veg that isn't peas, cream that isn't fake cream, regular availability of stuff

*Iceland bonus card - put £20 on and they add a £1 (to spend in there obviously). That must be the highest rate of interest available anywhere on the planet at the moment! And if you're going to spend the dosh in there anyway, well worth doing (and now and then maybe once a year they do a £2 for every £20 you put on it but you have a limited time to spend the extra £1)

(Why don't the BB codes for [table] etc work?)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 9, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

M&S food has some fantastic deals if you go yellow sticker hunting. My sister and brother in law get entire meals most nights from there for less than a quid each because they go just before closing.

Yes that's so. Waitrose also have some good reduced stuff (but obviously no guarantee you'll get what you want). I only buy Higgledy Piggledy pies when they're reduced because you need a mortgage to buy one otherwise. I got a quiche for £1.39 instead of £3 and a Burgen loaf (absolutely delicious highly recommend) for 39p instead of £1.50 the other day and despite saying best before 7th Jan, it was still lovely soft and squashy when I had a philadelphia sandwich binge late last night.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

You don't put your Death Grips and Necrophagist on shuffle when the in-laws pop round?

Many years ago when my nephew now in his 30s was about 5, I got my dad to put one of my cassettes on in the car: Cannibal Corpse, Cancer etc. **
Nephew: Grandad, is that monsters?
Grandad: Yes, Nephew*, I think it probably is.

*obviously used the kid's actual name.

** weird to think these bands are getting on for 34 years old now and I was still a twenty-something babe-in-arms.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

nurmie posted:

while the state of the music industry is pretty bad for artists nowadays (yeah streaming doesn't pay much - esp if your label/management take the vast majority of the income, people don't generally buy music anymore and live performances are a bit of a problem nowadays for Obvious Reasons), it's nearly impossible to put into words just how much Worse it was just 20-30 years ago. especially if you're not an A-lister, but things could get pretty grim even if you are

One of my brothers played in a band years ago. At some point in the 90s, this band from Herefordshire got 'a London gig' and they were so over the moon. Turned out it was at the Rock Garden in Covent Garden on a Sunday night. The contract included not only having to pay for their own amps, sound desk etc, but also bring a coach load of fans with them.

Then another time they got a gig in Fulham on a Saturday evening - not The Greyhound - but to them it was 'a London gig'. From where I was living in London at the time, Fulham might as well have been Outer Space. Not only that but there were a bazillion other gigs going on in London the same evening including a couple of huge bands (I think Police were one of them IIRC) so of course who is going to see a non-entity band noone's ever heard of, in a pub a zillion miles from central London. The cursing and blinding of the band at the end when about 5 people had turned up (including myself* - nearly 2 hours travel one way) about how 'London people don't know how to enjoy themselves' 'if we played a gig in Ross it would be full of people enjoying themselves' (forgetting that there would have been just one pub with a gig on in Ross on a Saturday evening- almost a captive audience and people who all knew various band members).

*totally not my type of music - all soft 'american' rock and I gave up the chance to see a decent band to 'show support'.

Really, London venues used to take the complete piss out of yokel bands who were clueless about the sheer size of London and the competition on any given night.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 9, 2022