Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

If they really believed that then why not compete to do a better job of it than the government? (Other than it just being an excuse that the poor should 'know their place' and neither should do it)

Shut up, we totally do it all the time. All of us. You wouldn't know them, they go to a different church...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Impersonating Ali?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

My brain's decided to merge LFT and NFT in its "what does this mean" centre.

Low-fungibility token
Nose-flap test

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Lady Demelza posted:

Hmmm I have a colleague who seems genuinely convinced by NFTs, to the extent of flying out to a conference on NFTs/crypto and trying to our workplace (library/museum) it needs to get onto this bandwaggon with images from our collections. His reasoning made no sense when he explained it, and I've since realised that this is because the whole NFT thing makes no sense, rather than me being a poor student.

Yeah I was following a discussion on a different site about them, honestly trying to keep an open mind about this new thing I didn't understand. But all the defenders' explanations boiled down to "you know sometimes rare objects are desirable due to their scarcity? What if we reproduced that on computers, where scarcity isn't a thing, so we have to play pretend and add pointless layers of abstraction?"

And when people didn't buy that, it moved on to

"But NFTs have other potential revolutionary applications"
"Ok, give an example?"
"Never!" (or vague hand waving)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

TACD posted:

It really is fascinating watching the whole party attempt to become a completely featureless blob of perfectly median opinions and feelings

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

From an Indy article on school staff shortages/closures

quote:

The Liberal Democrats have called for a £30 catch-up voucher for every day missed by school students for Covid-related absence

Schools wallets!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pierson posted:

Let him do it but he has to

A) Use only the same amount of people and equipment the other four lads used
B) Also has to dump it in the nearest body of water.

Let's see him drag granite Karl to the Thames.

I re-opened the thread to this and thought it was about Djokovic :v:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Them again I felt a similar way when people earlier in the thread were talking about getting Plexes, VPN's and sharing systems to download movies and TV's as opposed to just getting a subscription to Netflix.

Just getting vaccinated is much easier than doing a J Walter Weatherman impression, but I think the point was that Netflix et al made accessing TV shows easier, and now it's becoming harder again as stuff fragments. And there are still hangovers from the old days of who has the rights to stuff, especially internationally.

I have Netflix and Disney+ at the moment, but if I google "here money, how I watch show X?", sometimes the answer is either "you can't" or "you need to change your internet provider because they have the rights".

Sadly I can't see a Spotify/Apple Music/etc situation where everyone has everything anytime soon.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks to whoever recommended "Attack of the 50 foot blockchain" the other day. I'm halfway through and now I understand what some guy was telling me about his day job (involving "web 3" and "smart contracts"). And conveniently also understand why those things are nonsense. Very efficient!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

What I unreasonably dislike is when you go for a flu jab and the nurse says 'sharp scratch'. It doesn't feel anything like a scratch :argh:

Yeah it feels like having a needle stuck in your arm. Which is much less unpleasant, scratches hurt for ages afterwards.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

SMF: The Tolerant Left

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

sebzilla posted:

BBC presenter saying there was no evidence of Jeremy Corbyn being an antisemite

Speaking of, Miriam Margolyes co-signed a letter in defense of Emma Watson over the "maybe Palestinians are ok" thing. So not all the older HP actors are terrible :unsmith:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Having never been to london I have always assumed it is basically just cyberpunk city where everyone is followed by a helicopter and also there are lots of people in suits doing business things.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Speaking of the Queen as an individual vs "The Crown", I saw a headline that was "No 10 apologises to Buckingham Palace" - just a couple of building having a chat, no actual humans involved or responsible.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Lungboy posted:

The problem with Sensible Centrists is that no matter how obviously poo poo it is, the answer is always to be *more* Sensibly Centrist, that they just aren't Sensible or Centrist enough.

Sensible Centrism cannot flail, it can only be flailed

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Leftists. Always infighting in their echochambers :rolleyes:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The thing is, it's totally possible to bring fresh and interesting new perspectives into a thread like this. But "have you considered that leftism sucks" and "actually, FYGM" are neither fresh nor interesting.

It's like saying the chess club has to have someone saying "chess is bad and you're pathetic for liking it" at every committee meeting, otherwise it's a pro-chess echo chamber.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Bunk beds are fun though.

This is true, and only-children (but not only, children) should experience them too.

Also, while your distaste for various media (and travel) goes further than mine, I'm totally with you on not knowing what people sound like. I've heard Corbyn speak maybe once or twice, Keith never, Trump never. It's great!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel this guy's pain every time I try to pronounce words like "bathed". Ain't no way that "th" phoneme is ever gonna be pronounced in a Cork accent, so I just avoid the word (and the activity)

Reminds me of when I learned that our Irish installers pronounce "earthed" with 2 syllables, to rhyme with "flirted". I love the many Englishes that there are and not just because it makes the gammons apoplectic

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

BalloonFish posted:

and you don't vote for Prime Ministers.

This one goes two ways though. You do have people surprised that Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn aren't on the ballot paper somewhere, because they think it's like voting for the president.

But you also have the "wellactuallys" who will explain at length that you're voting for your preferred representative in parliament AND NOTHING ELSE, as if parties and cabinets and PMs aren't a thing (not saying you're doing this). When in practice, anyone who cast a vote for a conservative candidate in 2019 was voting for Bodgebob to be PM,

I feel like this could be one of those galaxy brain memes, with progressively more understanding of the political system. With the last one being "move to your preferred party leader's constituency so you can vote for the prime minister"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Where did the Ivermectin thing even come from? Did some actual scientists look at it as a potential candidate and the antivaxers ran with it, or was it invented out of whole cloth?