Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Good for you I'm glad you're getting help but gently caress that I'm drinking lovely wine I got for Christmas right now. Why would I want to go into this new year sober if I don't have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Lmao there's no way im gonna be sober this year

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My heart goes out to those of you have really struggled with alcohol. Some of your stories are heartbreaking. I'm glad to hear most of you are doing better, but the struggle continues.

I always thought my own drinking was something I had under control but I've slipped a lot over the last two years because of everything. For me this month is really about slowing down and getting back to a good place physically and mentally.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Trying to get into it and make it to the 24hr mark.
Already fretting about the impending insomnia tho.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
For me it was always the anxiety attacks while drying out after a rough weekend that made Sundays going into Mondays absolutely miserable. That and the night sweats if I did manage to sleep that night.

Aside from New Years itself, I had only been having a couple of beers an evening in anticipation so yesterday wasn't as rough as it could have been.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

quit weed 5 days ago because I have CHS and keep tryintg to gently caress around and keep finding out, 12 years sober from ketamine etc

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Getting covid has helped me quit weed and alcohol. Probably the only upside.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I love drinking but and dont really get physically hungover but the anxiety is palpable following a big sesh these days. Not in the sense that Ive done something wrong but just general aching anxiety. Had a few heavy nights over the holidays and probably gonna chill out over the next month or two.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wake up with tremendous cell-level guilt if I ever get proper drunk these days. I could be completely well behaved and do no wrong but it doesn't feel like it. I think it is a learned response from being a piece of poo poo black out drinker in college.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't drank ever since discovering how good Weed is 13 years ago but I'm going to quit smoking cigs this month and I do it in solidarity with sober january goons

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SpaceAceJase posted:

Getting covid has helped me quit weed and alcohol. Probably the only upside.

same but I'm back on both lol

stay strong goon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

quit weed 5 days ago because I have CHS and keep tryintg to gently caress around and keep finding out, 12 years sober from ketamine etc

sid I'm sorry I had CHS real real bad in like 2018ish and it sucked I hope it passes soon for you

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

kntfkr posted:

I wake up with tremendous cell-level guilt if I ever get proper drunk these days. I could be completely well behaved and do no wrong but it doesn't feel like it. I think it is a learned response from being a piece of poo poo black out drinker in college.

If you keep hating yourself because of your past you won't get better

I promise it's better to forgive yourself, for yourself and everyone you care about.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

for me I was convinced I had bad mental health for years and was wasting money on therapists and self pitying/self diagnosing online and then it turned out I was just an alcoholic who never exercised. Now im good lol. Literally just had to go for a run in the morning and stop blacking out every night

Samesies. I got sober in 2016 and my mental health immediately started improving. When I started exercising again my physical health followed. Turns out I survived the entire Trump administration sober.

I'm cheering for all of you doing Sober January.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i wont quit drinking, but being poor has helped me cut back a lot. i am going to try and quit nicotine though. i quit vaping a few months ago and have been hooked on zyn since then. my plan is to just regularly start smoking weed again. god speed to all the quitters!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

PinheadSlim posted:

If you keep hating yourself because of your past you won't get better

I promise it's better to forgive yourself, for yourself and everyone you care about.

Well, yeah, and that's something I'm working on but the hangover guilt is something different since it's often baseless. I think it's pretty common, neurochemical maybe. Staying away from booze isn't a bad thing for me since I'm trying to lose weight anyway.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i wont quit drinking, but being poor has helped me cut back a lot. i am going to try and quit nicotine though. i quit vaping a few months ago and have been hooked on zyn since then. my plan is to just regularly start smoking weed again. god speed to all the quitters!!

I wanna quit nicotine too. Way more addicted now than when it was just cigarettes. This is pretty interesting https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27441452/

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

kntfkr posted:

Well, yeah, and that's something I'm working on but the hangover guilt is something different since it's often baseless. I think it's pretty common, neurochemical maybe. Staying away from booze isn't a bad thing for me since I'm trying to lose weight anyway.

Yeah sorry I projected my own poo poo onto yours, which I definitely did lol

:cheers: you got this poo poo tho

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
im drinking coffee right now thread and no one can stop me!!!!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr posted:

Yeah its the "cell level" anxiety not at all related to my actions. Just regular old creeping existential dread. Its very unpleasant.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm currently 2 months sober after drinking heavily throughout my 20s. I'm doing great, I'm picking up new hobbies, my days are more structured, I'm down 5kg and I'm smoking a lot more pot.

Highly recommended! Getting past that first week was the hard part for me so best of luck to any goons participating in this challenge.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Been seeing loads of people on these forums talking about their drinking troubles over the past few weeks, I'd love to see this thread get stickied.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm trying to quit pot and booze so it's hard and I'm having a lot of relapses lol

but I've got my eye on the prize, baby steps to a totally functioning life :thumbsup:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm trying to quit pot and booze so it's hard and I'm having a lot of relapses lol

but I've got my eye on the prize, baby steps to a totally functioning life :thumbsup:

you got this for real :)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The medications I am on preclude me from heavy drinking. At most I'll have a shot or a beer, but nothing massive. Since overindulging results in a MASSIVE migraine every single time, it's just not worth it, even if I were not on my meds.

That being said, I can drink with moderation. And I am a moderator, so that works out nicely.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Genesplicer posted:

The medications I am on preclude me from heavy drinking. At most I'll have a shot or a beer, but nothing massive. Since overindulging results in a MASSIVE migraine every single time, it's just not worth it, even if I were not on my meds.

That being said, I can drink with moderation. And I am a moderator, so that works out nicely.

oh no will this happen to me when im old

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I always called the anxiety the "beer fears" and it is not something I will miss.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think I've gone longer than 2 weeks (vacation out of country) in the about 20 years I've been drinking. Usually 5 nights a week but like a lot (90 to 100 proof rum, a handle a week, so like 12 shots 5 times a week)

Gonna give this a go because I know it will help me with my anxiety.

Goon who was talking about anxiety the day after drinking is correct for me at least... that's my worst hangover symptom.

Might still taste some weed once in awhile but that was never a crutch like alcohol was and I'm happy doing that like once a week.

I know I'll lose a ton of weight doing this too, and since I only want to smoke cigs when I'm drinking this should be an easy way to ditch that as well.

So many benefits of I can just keep my mind occupied. I have a ton of fixit things do to around the house and occupy my time that I've been putting off for years because once work was done I was usually have some shots and watch movies or something on the couch instead of improving my house.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 2, 2022

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Sid Vicious posted:

Depends.

No, I mean you'll be wearing Depends.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

No we will be young forever, satan told me so you know it's true

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Wendigee posted:

I don't think I've gone longer than 2 weeks (vacation out of country) in the about 20 years I've been drinking. Usually 5 nights a week but like a lot (90 to 100 proof rum, a handle a week, so like 12 shots 5 times a week)

Gonna give this a go because I know it will help me with my anxiety.

Goon who was talking about anxiety the day after drinking is correct for me at least... that's my worst hangover symptom.

Might still taste some weed once in awhile but that was never a crutch like alcohol was and I'm happy doing that like once a week.

I know I'll lose a ton of weight doing this too, and since I only want to smoke cigs when I'm drinking this should be an easy way to ditch that as well.

So many benefits of I can just keep my mind occupied. I have a ton of fixit things do to around the house and occupy my time that I've been putting off for years because once work was done I was usually have some shots and watch movies or something on the couch instead of improving my house.

Wishing you the best! Don't feel like you have to do anything instead of drinking. Just learning to enjoy yourself and watch movies without alcohol is a big step.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Genesplicer posted:

Depends.

No, I mean you'll be wearing Depends.

this is probably true i already have awful digestive issues

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Something that I think helped me was simply pouring out the alcohol I did have. It triggered something in my brain, so when I'd stop in front of a liquor store from that day onwards I'd be like "Well I didn't even enjoy it last time, so much that I ended up wasting half of it. Why spend my money if it's literally going down the drain?"

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I made a dumb post itt yesterday but I really do want to try to get sober this year. I've been a heavy 'functional' alcoholic for a decade. I know it's because I'm using it to self-medicate for some old DV crap I've been through and it's cheaper and easier to get than insurance/therapy/the meds I should be taking. It's not even fun and I hate it but I can't seem to stop.

I also get the terrible anxiety, night sweats and insomnia. I'll go about 3 days before I get terrified I'm gonna get serious DTs and have a seizure. Then I'll grab a beer...or two...or 12. Yaknow just in case it gets bad.

Tried weed but it doesn't relax me at all, just makes the paranoia worse. At least booze is legal here, right?

Did quit cigarettes 2 years ago but still using the vape. I want to try to get off that too.

Pennywise, Sid and the rest of you are inspirational. I know we have a hate boner for reddit here but the stopdrinking sub kinda helps some days.

Thanks for being my :10bux: therapy sesh goons.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Treecko posted:

I made a dumb post itt yesterday but I really do want to try to get sober this year. I've been a heavy 'functional' alcoholic for a decade. I know it's because I'm using it to self-medicate for some old DV crap I've been through and it's cheaper and easier to get than insurance/therapy/the meds I should be taking. It's not even fun and I hate it but I can't seem to stop.

I also get the terrible anxiety, night sweats and insomnia. I'll go about 3 days before I get terrified I'm gonna get serious DTs and have a seizure. Then I'll grab a beer...or two...or 12. Yaknow just in case it gets bad.

Tried weed but it doesn't relax me at all, just makes the paranoia worse. At least booze is legal here, right?

Did quit cigarettes 2 years ago but still using the vape. I want to try to get off that too.

Pennywise, Sid and the rest of you are inspirational. I know we have a hate boner for reddit here but the stopdrinking sub kinda helps some days.

Thanks for being my :10bux: therapy sesh goons.

hey thanks for popping back in with a nice post like this, if a day at a time is too long term you can take things an hour at a time, or any other increment that gives you the chance to reflect and say nope i dont need that right now. congrats on dropping cigarettes, that is my one remaining vice and i hate it

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Vaping really does make "quitting cigarettes" very easy and I'd recommend it because it's cheaper and not as bad. The issue is the real addiction is nicotine and quitting that is still really loving hard. I'm making progress I think by switching to nicotine pouches to break the oral habit but overall I feel like I've spent the last 3 years since I "quit smoking" easing myself down 2 stairs of a very long staircase.

Progress is progress though going to pour myself a drink to celebrate

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What makes brain?

Oatmeal. Yum?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

two months is loving huge dude well played. I did ect when I was getting sober too and i feel like it did help but it was subtle and took me a while to notice. Keep at it for as long as you can, I hope you can make it a permanent change but even if you only stop for a few months it really helps your body. Now that youre sober I recommend taking up a really dumb hobby of some kind

How did the ECT go for you? This is my 3rd time getting it. Once in 2011 or 2012. All inpatient at the time. I lost my mind after finding out my wife was cheating on me and then they diagnosed me with bipolar after a long history of stuff that I didn't realize. Once in 2014 after moving back home with my parents that was all outpatient. And of course now. I had very severe memory problems the last two times but they did bilateral and bifrontal which could have caused it. This time we're doing right lateral specifically in hopes that it doesn't screw with me that bad since I'm in school (winter break right now). That's going very well but I've been more depressed than I've been in a long time. As of last night I'm thinking it's possibly happening because I had to cut my lamotragine in half (since it prevents seizures and that's desirable right now).

I'm feeling like serious poo poo now but at least I'm not drinking. I have another session tomorrow and I'll have to talk to my psychiatrist about what's going on.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Is the lamotragine off label as a mood stabilizer? How much poo poo are you on? My worst depression (catatonic) was when I was on the most meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

Is the lamotragine off label as a mood stabilizer? How much poo poo are you on? My worst depression (catatonic) was when I was on the most meds.

Yes.

I'm on a lot of stuff.