Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That feeling of spinning your wheels and viewing the self as a collection of chemicals while still in the pain of depression is the loving worst. Have you tried any of the new experimental stuff for treatment resistant depression like ketamine or psychedelics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--AvCsh48bk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

That feeling of spinning your wheels and viewing the self as a collection of chemicals while still in the pain of depression is the loving worst. Have you tried any of the new experimental stuff for treatment resistant depression like ketamine or psychedelics?

I'm limited to what the VA has available. They use ketamine for my anesthesia but not in the therapeutic dose for depression.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Two days done, twenty-nine to go. I woke up feeling like a truck had hit me, but that was a combination of having worked out the day before and caffeine withdrawal. I had a coke and felt better. I'm no saint, but I'll try to avoid drinking cola every day.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What ails you? Does it have dog fur on it?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Atlas Hugged posted:

Two days done, twenty-nine to go. I woke up feeling like a truck had hit me, but that was a combination of having worked out the day before and caffeine withdrawal. I had a coke and felt better. I'm no saint, but I'll try to avoid drinking cola every day.

I think that's something that's pretty common for people, they no longer get the massive dose of sugar they would otherwise receive from alcohol and end up drinking a poo poo load of soda instead.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm a pretty heavy soda drinker anyway, so going without that for two days in a row was a pretty steep drop off in sugar consumption, plus the caffeine withdrawal.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Beartaco posted:

I think that's something that's pretty common for people, they no longer get the massive dose of sugar they would otherwise receive from alcohol and end up drinking a poo poo load of soda instead.

I positively crave sweets when not drinking. First few days i cut myself some slack and indulge because its better than 9 beers. Then get down to staying more or less sugar free.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Stay strong sober goons! :thumbsup:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sophy Wackles posted:

Stay strong sober goons! :thumbsup:
I was strong through the first weekend. Now I will stay strong to next weekend. Then I will stay strong though next weekend. Rinse and repeat.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

going through the ghost of a CHS attack, gall bladder pain and horrendous diarrhea all night

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like this thread. I quit drinking like 3 years ago at this point. Had my poo poo on lockdown, even got to the point that socially I could have a single drink and stop, and not crave or feel bad. Was doing well, no relapses.

Until just at the new year. Severe stress, an average of two hours of sleep a night thanks to constantly reliving trauma (whole lotta abuse of all kinds at all ages in my life) and still grieving lost friends.

It got bad enough that when I realised I was alone I was either gonna drink the cooking wine we have here or I was doing something stupid, and probably permanent. I wasn't proud of myself, but it did keep me alive. I absolutely hate that it happened.

The hosed up thing is explaining to people that I don't crave the alcohol itself, I crave the addiction. It's comforting, like a warm hug. It's familiar. When everything else went to poo poo in my life alcohol was there, and I became dependent.

It loving sucks, and for years it was my only coping mechanism. So it really stings I got to that point again. And it stings more that at the time I did feel happier, I did feel nice, and I just played some stupid games.

But I hate that I got there again, after so long. Losing the person who encouraged and helped you quit probably contributes to that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just get some amyl nitrate and an understanding sponsor.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

So while I can generally just pick it up and put it down, I find myself picking it up with relative ease. As such, I tried thinking about when and how I drink.

I found that I tend to drink at home when I cook and usually will mindlessly buy a bottle of decent wine to pair with whatever recipe. A few glugs for the dish, the rest down the hatch.

If I'm doing a weekend cooking project like fried chicken or smoking something, I'll easily get through a six pack. I don't find this sort of drinking particularly problematic, but tried replacing the weekend beers with a non-alcoholic alternative.

Even here in Australia, a nation of notorious beer drinkers, we have a variety of completely serviceable NA beer. I've noticed that bars are even stocking NA spirits. Its not beer, but it actually quiets down that weird voice that says "Hey, you should have a beer right now".

On the whole its less expensive than its alcoholic counterparts. Just something that's helped for me. I know people crack a beer as part of certain rituals like working on their car, mowing the lawn, etc.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sid Vicious posted:

going through the ghost of a CHS attack, gall bladder pain and horrendous diarrhea all night

dude stop smoking

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Not a drop since November 16, 2020, wanted something good to come out of that year.

Still smoking weed though, but I think I am about ready to kick this too, it's not helping anything. Got a trip coming up so maybe a good excuse to quit.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

kntfkr posted:

dude stop smoking

i did a week ago, it was aftershocks or however you want to describe it, ty for your concern friend

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
60 days no alcohol! (or weed) Longest time without alcohol since boot camp when I was 18-19.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

hey if you're having substance abuse troubles then GBS legit isn't for you. Seek help from a medical professional and psychologists.

that's my :effort: post of the night thank you very much.

for those of you that have gone clean way to go you rule don't stop being awesome

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't think anyone is coming in here to get help. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Cowman posted:

hey if you're having substance abuse troubles then GBS legit isn't for you. Seek help from a medical professional and psychologists.

for those of you that have gone clean way to go you rule don't stop being awesome

support is good, but yes of course if people are legitimately struggling with sobriety seek help. this is just some accountability among friends

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Cowman posted:

wrong. Posting here is the only solution to substance abuse. Psychologists are dweebs. I repeat, posting on the forums is your only way out

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Pennywise the Frown posted:

How did the ECT go for you? This is my 3rd time getting it. Once in 2011 or 2012.

I felt like it slowly took the edge off the depression I had after I stopped drinking. This could have just been something that happened on its own as I was recovering but I found that as I continued the ECT I was able to get interested in things again that previously I could only enjoy drunk. Movies, books, TV, talking to people etc. Hard to say what was ECT and what was just part of the process of getting sober but I do believe it helped my depression significantly

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Gotta love how january is the month to do this. Darkness at 430 doesnt help trying to evade boredom.
Night seems to be my trigger anyways. Sun goes down makes my brain think its booze time. I think ive sortve done that to myself over the years by drinking to combat insomnia.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cowman posted:

I dont really subscribe to the AA box ticking exercises where all roads lead to "you are a hopeless alcoholic and we are the only way".

There are probably plenty of people already seeking pro help in this thread, and probably plenty like myself who dont feel they need it.

Its nice to see a few others sharing a bit and chatting about a common goal. GBS is for everyone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
When I made this thread, I did not envision it as a way for substance abusers to get clean and turn their lives around. As said above, it's a thread for friendly accountability for a specific month long goal. If people feel the need to go beyond that, then by all means they should seek professional support.

For myself, I've made it through the first four days and am feeling pretty good. I think it helps that I told all my regular drinking buddies and rather than being assholes who are now trying to get me to trip up, they're being very respectful when asking to make plans for me. Hooray adulthood!

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 5, 2022

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
My cool trick for sober January is catching covid! Sure makes it easy to not drink when you feel like fried butt hole. (I'm almost recovered now and it wasn't actually that bad)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I gave up booze a couple years ago and am much happier for it. Now I smoke heroic quantities of weed and grow my own mescaline. :goshawk:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also ketamine worked like a motherfucker but paying to have it administered properly was too much and I couldn’t afford it any longer. Mushrooms and LSD provided a similar effect at a fraction of the price.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
imagine paying to get drunk or high when you can fill yourself with the glory of God for free

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sid Vicious posted:

i did a week ago, it was aftershocks or however you want to describe it, ty for your concern friend

ah ok, my bad. i had a friend with RADs that had to quit smoking and she really liked MA but then she died from an asthma attack in August anyway and that was lame cuz she had been good and remained quit and was young

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

STABASS posted:

imagine paying to get drunk or high when you can fill yourself with the glory of God for free
Just don't gently caress with his son, he'll rob you

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea I gave up booze a couple years ago and am much happier for it. Now I smoke heroic quantities of weed and grow my own mescaline. :goshawk:

what's mescaline like compared to other stuff? i really want to try that and also smoking DMT. i have an in on bufo and kambo but my desire to try them is not super existent atm

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel posted:

Gotta love how january is the month to do this. Darkness at 430 doesnt help trying to evade boredom.
Night seems to be my trigger anyways. Sun goes down makes my brain think its booze time. I think ive sortve done that to myself over the years by drinking to combat insomnia.

:smith::hf::smith:

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I felt like it slowly took the edge off the depression I had after I stopped drinking. This could have just been something that happened on its own as I was recovering but I found that as I continued the ECT I was able to get interested in things again that previously I could only enjoy drunk. Movies, books, TV, talking to people etc. Hard to say what was ECT and what was just part of the process of getting sober but I do believe it helped my depression significantly

That's good to hear. I've sort of slipped backwards in the past week. Instead of bad depressed thoughts I'm having the old physical sinking feeling in my sternum that I used to have when my depression began when I was young. It really really sucks. At least I'm not suicidal. I had a session yesterday which helped a bit and I'm going to have another Thursday or Friday. I hope it starts going better.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

there is nothing to do in january. i do not understand why the most boring month of the year where you can already do nothing fun was chosen.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

There are less social obligations also.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The aquarium is half off in January.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Poohs Packin posted:

There are less social obligations also.

loneliness makes me depressed and wanting to drink.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

there is nothing to do in january. i do not understand why the most boring month of the year where you can already do nothing fun was chosen.

it's probably because people don't want to be sober in july when they could be out drinking and getting high with their friends. people like to get hosed up in good weather. also the new year resolution thing, i suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

throwing in my support for you sober goons itt, you got this