Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

loneliness makes me depressed and wanting to drink.

Try doing burpees until you pass out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
January makes sense for me because I live near the equator so it's no more dark than any other time of the year plus there's no social obligations. I've got Lunar New Year at the end of the month but we can't travel to visit my wife's family in Taiwan, so not much will come if it.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

my name is bertolt rekt and I am an alcoholic. I quit in July of 2020. For the first few months I was always ravenously hungry and constantly craving candy. I think someone else said that it’s because of the sugar in the alcohol or something

When I realized that I gained about 20 pounds after getting sober it seemed like another sign of how serious my problem was

Being fat is better than destroying your liver. Drink lots of seltzer water and find a sober person to talk to. Please pm me if you want to talk. Good luck, you can do it!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

bertolt rekt posted:

my name is bertolt rekt and I am an alcoholic. I quit in July of 2020. For the first few months I was always ravenously hungry and constantly craving candy. I think someone else said that it’s because of the sugar in the alcohol or something

When I realized that I gained about 20 pounds after getting sober it seemed like another sign of how serious my problem was

Being fat is better than destroying your liver. Drink lots of seltzer water and find a sober person to talk to. Please pm me if you want to talk. Good luck, you can do it!

good job! keep it up!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

kntfkr posted:

what's mescaline like compared to other stuff? i really want to try that and also smoking DMT. i have an in on bufo and kambo but my desire to try them is not super existent atm

It’s great. Very effective for mood and the experience sits between mushrooms and LSD, to me, in terms of visuals and introspection and all that, albeit a bit longer lasting and can be more intense.

But also don’t drink you guys.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I gotta get me some of that.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

bertolt rekt posted:

Just want to point out that being fat can also rek ur liver if you have a hereditary closeness or whatever to fatty liver disease

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Me and my miserable lady(winter time blues) are baby stepping into drinking only on Fridays and Saturday nights. I can't say I'm ready to cut alcohol out entirely, but I know I can regulate pretty well. I tend to get real sick of drinking right about when a six pack of pints loses its effect. The bloating from all the beer turns me away big time. And when I switch to bourbon I suck it down like water and don't get hungover which is truly terrifying. I'm definitely focusing on exercise and getting into therapy. Hoping therapy will give me some ideas on how to get my wife therapy, she would really benefit, and then I.

Healthy living!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Five nights done and I'm feeling good. We've been really active this week as well which is a huge plus. I have been in the pool at least twice, running every day, and got a couple of lifts in. The real challenge is the weekend because I basically give myself Friday beer as a reward for getting through the hell of a work week, especially since I'm a teacher and we're teaching online. Fortunately this weekend is the last of the holidays, so my stress levels haven't ratcheted up yet.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Eey I'm doing sober january. Easy so far because I'm sick. Thinking of doing 3 months instead of just the one. i just get weirded out how i spent 18/19 years not drinking and then college and i haven't had a full sober year since then. Hoping to lose some weight with stopping as i eat soo much when drunk. I might go to the gym after seeing if omicron gets better or not. Gonna have to get used to being bored..

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I am taking naltrexone to curtail my drinking and it's so easy what a miracle drug. I've gone from six beers every other day to only 2 beers this week pretty much instantly with no effort it's loving nuts.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

i must compose posted:

I am taking naltrexone to curtail my drinking and it's so easy what a miracle drug. I've gone from six beers every other day to only 2 beers this week pretty much instantly with no effort it's loving nuts.

That stuff, as well as Campral, gave me gnarly, all-day headaches of increasing intensity the longer I took it. Too bad. I think that attacking my habit by removing the buzz I'm seeking sounds ideal ("This isn't fun, anymore. I'm going to stop.")

I've ended up taking very small doses (1/6th of a tablet) of antabuse on Monday and Tuesday nights. Makes drinking, Monday through Wednesday nights, a non-starter, but it's cleared out of my system by Thursday night.

Like one of the goons, above, I'm not quite ready to go totally, permanently dry: wintertime anxiety, boredom, and anhedonia are serious motherfuckers, along with my normal OCD and insomnia. Summer is much better, for me.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

imagine needing alcohol or drugs to get through life, loving weak

Just drink water and eat nothing but well done steamed chicken breast and kale with a banana for desert if you're feeling frisky on weekends

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
boy i sure do miss having a beer

i don't think it's the alcohol getting to me as much as the nature of habit. i timed quitting smoking with quitting my last job so i wouldn't have to fight all the habits i formed, but here in dry january i'm kinda trapped in a prison of my own design

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Stalizard posted:

boy i sure do miss having a beer

i don't think it's the alcohol getting to me as much as the nature of habit. i timed quitting smoking with quitting my last job so i wouldn't have to fight all the habits i formed, but here in dry january i'm kinda trapped in a prison of my own design

Have you thought about 0% beer?

Also I found that soda water was an adequate replacement for "opening up something cold and fizzy".

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
i tried a 0% heinie yesterday, my buddy is taking a medication he can't drink on and he has a bunch of near beer

mostly it tasted like poo poo and it didn't scratch the itch. fizzy water works well enough when i'm out with friends, maybe i'll try a couple other brands of fake beer and see if they do any better.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

AHH F/UGH posted:

imagine needing alcohol or drugs to get through life, loving weak

Just drink water and eat nothing but well done steamed chicken breast and kale with a banana for desert if you're feeling frisky on weekends

I am in pain

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

They have some really good fake beer now, go to a bevmo or something and check it out. I like Bitburger Drive and Weihanstephaner Non-Alcoholic

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

what do you think the banana on saturday night is for? just look forward to that

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They have Heineken 0 in the soda fridge at 7-11s here. I guess it got somewhat popular when alcohol sales were banned last year because of covid. I've never tried it, but I'm kind of tempted to? It's also only 69 calories so that's a plus. I think I've also seen San Miguel 0 and that's the better beer anyway.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

They have some really good fake beer now, go to a bevmo or something and check it out. I like Bitburger Drive and Weihanstephaner Non-Alcoholic

its not just a modern invention its that the germans drink beer culturally & lots of people still love beer even after health or other reasons force them away from alcohol. or at lunch during the workday.

all german alkoholfrei beer is like S tier compared to any odoulls or heineken grocery store stuff.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

They have Heineken 0 in the soda fridge at 7-11s here. I guess it got somewhat popular when alcohol sales were banned last year because of covid. I've never tried it, but I'm kind of tempted to? It's also only 69 calories so that's a plus. I think I've also seen San Miguel 0 and that's the better beer anyway.

NA Heineken is closer in flavour to the 'full-fat' Heineken, probably because even in it's pure form it's piss-water, so a low bar to clear :) The NA San Miguel is a bit malty for my tastes, kinda tastes like they just didn't brew it for very long so the sugars weren't converted over. The Heineken (and Becks) both hit the spot and take the edge off, for me at least.

Brew Dog do a couple of good ones, Nanny State and Punk AF, dunno if you get them in the US though.

There are loads these days, and they do vary quite a lot in flavour so it's worth shopping around - there is probably something for everyone. The market has exploded in the last ~ 3 years or so.

One thing I have noticed is that after a couple of bottles of NA beer I start to feel a bit bloated and will stop drinking, or make a cup of tea or summat. With normal beer I still feel bloated but will happily bang through as many tinnies as I can find before shambling off to bed.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

bus hustler posted:

its not just a modern invention its that the germans drink beer culturally & lots of people still love beer even after health or other reasons force them away from alcohol. or at lunch during the workday.

all german alkoholfrei beer is like S tier compared to any odoulls or heineken grocery store stuff.

my friends and I always joke about Drive that Germans think the only reason anyone would want an NA beer is because they have to drive a car

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

null_pointer posted:

That stuff, as well as Campral, gave me gnarly, all-day headaches of increasing intensity the longer I took it. Too bad. I think that attacking my habit by removing the buzz I'm seeking sounds ideal ("This isn't fun, anymore. I'm going to stop.")

I've ended up taking very small doses (1/6th of a tablet) of antabuse on Monday and Tuesday nights. Makes drinking, Monday through Wednesday nights, a non-starter, but it's cleared out of my system by Thursday night.

Like one of the goons, above, I'm not quite ready to go totally, permanently dry: wintertime anxiety, boredom, and anhedonia are serious motherfuckers, along with my normal OCD and insomnia. Summer is much better, for me.

Probably see I only take a naltrexone pill about an hour before I know that I'm going to drink. So it's usually out of my system by the morning and I don't feel like crap. If I take it without drinking I do get some bad stomach aches but nothing I can't handle. If you haven't tried just taking it on an as needed basis maybe that's something you could try to unless what you're doing now is working for you. I'm looking into something called The Sinclair method which basically doesn't ask you to abstain from alcohol in fact it encourages you to drink but only to take maltrexone when you drink. Supposedly it rewires your brain to not associate drinking with getting a buzz.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

i must compose posted:

Probably see I only take a naltrexone pill about an hour before I know that I'm going to drink. So it's usually out of my system by the morning and I don't feel like crap. If I take it without drinking I do get some bad stomach aches but nothing I can't handle. If you haven't tried just taking it on an as needed basis maybe that's something you could try to unless what you're doing now is working for you. I'm looking into something called The Sinclair method which basically doesn't ask you to abstain from alcohol in fact it encourages you to drink but only to take maltrexone when you drink. Supposedly it rewires your brain to not associate drinking with getting a buzz.

That's basically the Sinclair Method. You take it before you drink so that it makes the drinking less enjoyable. Or something. Too lazy to google it.

I take it every morning. I take a whole lot of meds though and generally never have side effects from them.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

gently caress sobriety, if this poo poo world wanted me to not be wasted it wouldn’t be a poo poo world

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Edit: shitpost

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 6, 2022

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

drink if you want drama queen nobodys stopping you lol. Capitalism didn’t make you do it though

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
The best bars for non-alcoholic are tiki bars, I swear to god, they are low key smoothie bars with all the fresh fruit they keep on hand

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I gotta try this. I sometimes go to a German tavern near me bc they have a very chill outdoor area and good German food/NA beers but it would be nice to add some more fun places

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They opened a new dry bar in Milwaukee that I'd like to go to but it's like..... in Milwaukee which is a 45 minute drive. I don't know what I'd do in a sober bar though. The whole fun of going to bars alone is getting drunk and talking to random people.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i wouldnt go to a sober bar but it’s fun to be sober at a regular bar and talk to drunk people. I don’t recommend visiting a bar if you’re newly sober tho

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
NA beers are.good, tho I suck down soda water like it's regular water. Bubbly goodness. I think because I'm a weirdo I tend to go for Carlton Zero beers, they hit the spot in taste and feel so close enough.

NA wine is poo poo tho, don't bother.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

The only reason not to drink a lot is it makes me fat and will kill me. If those weren't true I'd do it every day forever.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

syntaxfunction posted:

NA beers are.good, tho I suck down soda water like it's regular water. Bubbly goodness. I think because I'm a weirdo I tend to go for Carlton Zero beers, they hit the spot in taste and feel so close enough.

NA wine is poo poo tho, don't bother.

Yeah NA wine is a curse, absolutely evil. I also drink seltzers compulsively in social situations and it’s 100% a replacement for the oral fixation part of drinking. I like those fake gin NA herbal spirits but they’re so expensive, if anyone knows a cheap one lmk

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Spinz posted:

I dont miss drinking

When you get older how you feel after makes it so not worth it

I got blackout drunk almost every night between the ages of 20 and 40. I could not control myself once I started drinking. I was extremely irritable when not drinking. It was a really lovely couple of decades. My inability to quit cost me a 12 year relationship/ marriage, which made me feel horrible and ashamed for years afterwards. I knew that booze made me boring, loud, dull, and stole my creativity. I hated that.

I made many, many attempts to quit drinking, and once went about 4 months, but usually failed after less than a week. People who are not alcoholics cannot understand how booze controls you 24 hours a day, everyday, whether or not you're drinking.

I finally managed to quit 4 or 5 years ago, and a big part of it was how horrific my hangovers were getting. I felt sick all the time.

Even that wasn't enough on its own.
The other major factor was that my drinking was damaging my relationship with the woman who is now my 2nd wife, and I didn't want to lose her.

Even with those two huge motivational factors, I have to admit that I needed to lean on California's recently-legalized weed, and sometimes even dextromethorphan cough syrup, to help take the edge off. I had a lot of edge for the first year or so. I had to learn how to live without something that had controlled my life for two decades. It took a lot of reminiscing about things I wanted to forget. That might have been the most difficult part.

Anyway, I have never once regretted quitting. It was not easy by any means, but it was nice to not be hungover, or having to apologize for some dumb poo poo I said or did the previous night.

It took me a year or so before I could hang out at bars, or with friends who were drinking, but neither of those things bother me at all anymore. It just takes time.

To all those struggling to quit, good luck.

If I may offer one bit of advice when you're thinking of giving up and hitting the bottle again -- force yourself to remember the dumbest, most shameful and embarrassing things you've ever done while drunk. Really dig into those memories. If that doesn't make you want to quit, nothing will.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Well im out i fell off the wagon last night and just made it to the 24hr mark again. Im mad at myself i couldnt even make it a week and im thinking of getting medical help.
Really i just need a med card already i was doing fine until i ran outve weed and then my mind couldnt take it.
I havnt experienced anything serious no dts siezures or hand shakes. Just my old friend insomnia and intense anhedonia.
It also feels like when i finally went off my antidepressents last year. Your brain just feels...empty. thick and like theres something missing.

Anyways sorry for letting you down thread. Im still gonna keep trying. I think ive finally had enough.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sentinel posted:

Well im out i fell off the wagon last night and just made it to the 24hr mark again. Im mad at myself i couldnt even make it a week and im thinking of getting medical help.
Really i just need a med card already i was doing fine until i ran outve weed and then my mind couldnt take it.
I havnt experienced anything serious no dts siezures or hand shakes. Just my old friend insomnia and intense anhedonia.
It also feels like when i finally went off my antidepressents last year. Your brain just feels...empty. thick and like theres something missing.

Anyways sorry for letting you down thread. Im still gonna keep trying. I think ive finally had enough.

You didn't let anyone down, it's THE most expected thing that will happen on the path to sobriety. Keep fighting a day at a time, we're all proud of you.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Sentinel posted:

its all good man but i know what you mean when you mean "thick", just keep trying and dont give up

as a quick anecdote, i havent touched alcohol since early december and that "thick" feeling followed me around for like a week until i just started eating a poo poo ton of fruits and drank a million gallons of water because i just felt so antsy and bored all the time, i think i accidentally developed healthy habits and now the thought of going back to that dazed and stupor feeling of being completely zonked is the most unappealing thing i can think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

drink if you want drama queen nobodys stopping you lol.

Great job, homophobe, making sure nobody takes you seriously. I’m sure sobriety has made it easier for you to drag gays from the back of your pickup, you dumb poo poo motherfucking hick. :dumbbravo: