Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I'm still drinking. little piddly 5% seltzers. I don't get hungover.

But if I was allowed to smoke some pot, I'd quit, easily. I drank less than 10 times before I joined the military. Smoking was always my thing.

I'm out, but I'm federal service with a clearance, so still no marijuana for me. I haven't had hard liquor in about a year and 9 months. Which is something I guess.

Seltzers are much less bang for the buck.

I've been cutting back, but it's just 5%, sadly, it can take a lot more.

I'm proud of all yous guys that are making improvements, and challenging yourselves.

-the shittiest snipe.
i'm sorry.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

well still doing good staying away from the pot, been doing a lot more gaming and art than i had since practically a year ago, spent an hour playing basketball in the basement with my daughter today and she was so happy, the kids are both incredibly happy that grumpy, boring dad is gone

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sentinel posted:

Well im out i fell off the wagon last night and just made it to the 24hr mark again. Im mad at myself i couldnt even make it a week and im thinking of getting medical help.
Really i just need a med card already i was doing fine until i ran outve weed and then my mind couldnt take it.
I havnt experienced anything serious no dts siezures or hand shakes. Just my old friend insomnia and intense anhedonia.
It also feels like when i finally went off my antidepressents last year. Your brain just feels...empty. thick and like theres something missing.

Anyways sorry for letting you down thread. Im still gonna keep trying. I think ive finally had enough.

Hey the most important thing is that you want to keep trying. No one here is going to judge you. Find real help if you think you need it, but we're going to support you along the way.

The brain fog is real though. About middle of the first week without having a beer every day, I just could not read sentences correctly. It was super frustrating. Yesterday was pretty great and I felt clearheaded.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

still only sleeping about two hours a night and the other night i dreamt i was building the CN Tower out of toothpicks and i tripped and fell and was suddenly tiny and falling off my toothpick model and then a toothpick pierced my chest and i woke up, i dont miss not dreaming lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have weird hosed up dreams sober or otherwise. Worst one I had recently was I dreamt I got drunk and cheated on my wife but wasn't sure if I had used a condom and then realized I had to get tested and tell my wife and woke up sober and none of it was real and Christ what a relief that was.

I think it was because my buddy just shared a story where he got trashed and took a bar girl home and then realized how badly he hosed up and had to get on PEP for a month. Fortunately he's single so the only life he ruins is his own. It's the kind of thing I've always been terrified of happening here and I've thus far managed to avoid it. One more reason to keep from getting black out drunk. Even after January I think I'm staying away from liquor unless I'm in for the night.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel posted:

Well im out i fell off the wagon last night and just made it to the 24hr mark again. Im mad at myself i couldnt even make it a week and im thinking of getting medical help.
Really i just need a med card already i was doing fine until i ran outve weed and then my mind couldnt take it.
I havnt experienced anything serious no dts siezures or hand shakes. Just my old friend insomnia and intense anhedonia.
It also feels like when i finally went off my antidepressents last year. Your brain just feels...empty. thick and like theres something missing.

Anyways sorry for letting you down thread. Im still gonna keep trying. I think ive finally had enough.

:glomp:

You didn't let anyone down. Just get back at it. As long as you're healthy and safe now, that's all that matters.

Sid Vicious posted:

well still doing good staying away from the pot, been doing a lot more gaming and art than i had since practically a year ago, spent an hour playing basketball in the basement with my daughter today and she was so happy, the kids are both incredibly happy that grumpy, boring dad is gone

:peanut:

I've been having a lovely go still. Really, really bad depression. I'm sleeping 13 hours a day (plus a 2 hour nap) and miss most of the sunlight. I'm using my SAD lamp but it isn't doing much. I have ECT tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to that. I've been smoking cigarettes lately but my last pack took me 3 or 4 days and I only had one today. I like to smoke after ECT but I'm not going to have the option to buy any tomorrow so maybe that'll put an end to it. I hate smoking.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 7, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

:unsmith: Seriously thanks for the support you guys it means a lot.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
There's a good recovery thread in TCC if anyone needs it.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:glomp:
I've been having a lovely go still. Really, really bad depression. I'm sleeping 13 hours a day (plus a 2 hour nap) and miss most of the sunlight. I'm using my SAD lamp but it isn't doing much. I have ECT tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to that. I've been smoking cigarettes lately but my last pack took me 3 or 4 days and I only had one today. I like to smoke after ECT but I'm not going to have the option to buy any tomorrow so maybe that'll put an end to it. I hate smoking.

holy poo poo you are beating cats at sleeping.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
When I was prescribed seroquel and ativan at the same time, i'd be awake for like 6-8 hours a day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel posted:

holy poo poo you are beating cats at sleeping.

I don't even enjoy sleeping. I toss and turn all night and have crazy dreams every single loving night. Alcohol helped with dream suppression. I was on prazosin for a while to help with bad dreams but it didn't do anything. They just put me on the ambien extended release stuff a few weeks ago to hopefully keep me asleep throughout the night but I'm having limited success with that. It helps me get to sleep though. Sleep has been my bane since I was a small child. It is almost always hosed up. Sometimes I'll have a good run of sleeping 10 hours a day and feeling fine and having energy throughout the day but 90% of the time it's just terrible.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Gatto Grigio posted:

Great job, homophobe, making sure nobody takes you seriously. I’m sure sobriety has made it easier for you to drag gays from the back of your pickup, you dumb poo poo motherfucking hick. :dumbbravo:

I own a 2005 camry

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Sentinel posted:

Happens to pretty much everyone, good on you for getting right back to it instead of using it as an excuse to continue drinking. I would think carefully about the lead up to the drink— your thoughts, activities etc. It’s really useful for you to know what thought processes to look out for as potential danger signs because next time you have them you can try to get yourself off that track before things get too bad. Keep at it, you’re doing just fine!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

cant sleep, glad i dont have any dogs today

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Quit alcohol 3 years ago during a dry January and never looked back. The hangovers were just too long and debilitating. I was usually hungover 2 days a week. In the span of 3 years, that's like 300 less days of hangovers.

gently caress that.

I still go bars to socialize but I usually have a few weed gummies beforehand and drink soda waters with
lime. It's a reasonable amount of stupid.

Oh and a special shout-out to kratom : gently caress you bitch! It's almost been a year, EAT MY DANG BALLS.

Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I told my wife that I wanted to grill tonight and thought it would be neat to invite like one guest over, but she couldn't decide who. By chance, our neighbors swung by to drop off some "New Years Gifts" (a bag of hot pot stock for my wife, and betel nut for me that lord knows what I'll do with) so she decided to invite them. It was exhausting, but I made it through Friday without a drink even though everyone else enjoyed a couple of beers. It wasn't wild or anything, but I definitely think I would have enjoyed having a beer with everyone. This was easily the biggest challenge so far, but hey I did it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hop water is a great beer replacement for me when I needed it.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hop water is a great beer replacement for me when I needed it.

i tried some hop tea I saw at target the other day and I was pretty impressed with it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Lounged at the pool today so my kid could celebrate his friend's birthday. The friend's mom was supposed to be doing sober January with me since our families are pretty close friends and her husband doesn't really drink and my wife doesn't really either. She was slamming rum all afternoon so I think she may have given up. This was more challenging than the dinner last night because she was obviously having a lot of fun drinking rum and I wanted in. Decided not to though.

International school teachers are loving drunks I tell you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Day 69 of no alcohol!!!

:69snypa:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Atlas Hugged posted:

Lounged at the pool today so my kid could celebrate his friend's birthday. The friend's mom was supposed to be doing sober January with me since our families are pretty close friends and her husband doesn't really drink and my wife doesn't really either. She was slamming rum all afternoon so I think she may have given up. This was more challenging than the dinner last night because she was obviously having a lot of fun drinking rum and I wanted in. Decided not to though.

International school teachers are loving drunks I tell you.

youre doing awesome! keep it up im so proud of you!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Day 69 of no alcohol!!!

Nice now get to 420 and you win. Also around day 90 your mood will start improving a lot usually so that is something to look forward to soon!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Nice now get to 420 and you win. Also around day 90 your mood will start improving a lot usually so that is something to look forward to soon!

I sure loving hope so. I just stopped ECT and I'm not doing so well. I had another appointment tomorrow but I cancelled it. It's not working anymore and I'm pretty depressed. I feel raw, like an exposed nerve.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I sure loving hope so. I just stopped ECT and I'm not doing so well. I had another appointment tomorrow but I cancelled it. It's not working anymore and I'm pretty depressed. I feel raw, like an exposed nerve.

I’m sure you can remind yourself that recovering from a bout of drinking only compounds the pain. I’m only a few months in, and I don’t miss the hangovers or the constant low-grade feeling of illness that I carried around with me… sour stomach, achy joints, the ghost of a headache even after getting halfway rehydrated by midday.

After getting some distance to reflect, too, I can more easily realize that feeling better from drinking was always a gamble for me anyway. If I started drinking when I was pissed off or sad, it was 50/50 whether I would get happy or just sit around and stew in it.

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Day 69 of no alcohol!!!

kicking rear end dude, great to hear

adding my voice to the crew who loves sugar and sparkling water. ive been sober for a while and never cut the candy habit but i haven't gained enough weight for me to care yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kntfkr posted:

There's a good recovery thread in TCC if anyone needs it.

I'm not familiar with that one, but this E/N thread on alcohol has become one of the better recovery threads I've seen over the years:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844738&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=154

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you do about the sugar cravings? How much is too much sugar? (should i just ignore the cravings or will something bad happen to me if i dont get some sugar)

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

go ahead and have yourself some sweets you earned it. You don’t want to be drinking sodas all the time or anything but you only feel like this because you were consuming an insane amount of sugar by drinking and now that’s gone. Imo it’s good to have some dumb little vices you can indulge in that aren’t alcohol or drugs

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

obeyasia posted:

What do you do about the sugar cravings? How much is too much sugar? (should i just ignore the cravings or will something bad happen to me if i dont get some sugar)

I've had a peanut butter beer and called them all off just in case they give me that taste sensation once again.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Made it 8 days tonight at 11. It feels good.
The fogs gone and quiting on the start of my workweek was a much better idea. Less bored idle time at night.
Im keeping this up for as long as i can and hopeing to make it permanent.

Secret life hack for quitting: get a Covid booster. Youll feel too dog poo poo to think about drinking for 2 days.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

lol at the booster suggestion, i know many people who took the leap and went sober after getting the flu or something and being like well I’m not drinking anyway

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don;t thaing anyt of you had a real flu.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

You have the flu.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I definitely parlayed my 2nd jab illness into a sober month last year

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some of my friends literally brought beers to the thirty minute post vaccine observation.

I feel like the expat community is just people who couldn't get out of college mindset. But married with kids makes that lifestyle tough to pull off.

Anyway I'm still sober.

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
I just started on Naltrexone, my second go at the rodeo. I gave up for nine months after a 2 week stint in rehab and help from Naltrexone but that was seven years ago. I am truly sick and tired of being sick and tired. Today is day 2 sober.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

EarthboundMermaid posted:

I just started on Naltrexone, my second go at the rodeo. I gave up for nine months after a 2 week stint in rehab and help from Naltrexone but that was seven years ago. I am truly sick and tired of being sick and tired. Today is day 2 sober.

im proud of you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EarthboundMermaid posted:

It gets easier over time. I quit drinking in 2008 and at this point I rarely if ever think about it.

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

You all went sober after the shots? I stayed in bed, drank beer and watched lord of the rings the three tines I got vaxxed

Anyway, started my sober January a little late because I had Xmas booze to finish. Day 9 today, surviving on nicotine patches, gum, and lots of coffee. Might gently caress around and stay sober until I'm down to 190ish, around 200 currently