Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

No I have been sober for 2 and a half years 😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If possible it’s a great time to address what lead you to medicate with booze. If you can.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Still sleeping 15 hours a day. This blows. It's almost 8pm but I'm having an energy drink and am going to try to use my Peloton app for a 20 minute beginner bike ride. I feel like I want to cry all the time. That or a nothingness inside of me. I was really hoping this ECT would work. I'm pretty upset. :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If ECT is not working then you need to try something else.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that's kinda like... the last resort thing. I'm not sure what else I can do. The VA doesn't have TMS available for me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Waking up sober and not having a hangover on a Saturday morning loving rules.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If possible it’s a great time to address what lead you to medicate with booze. If you can.

A feeling that I have no control over the direction of my life and the fleeting feeling of godhood being drunk grants me.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I was sober for 4 years but 2022 started off with some rum n coke and other things (aliens) and hasn’t and won’t stop hell yah

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Two weeks on Sunday :boobeer:

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Waking up sober and not having a hangover on a Saturday morning loving rules.

Haha, came here to post this! I feel kinda ‘untethered’, floaty. Only day 3 but feels good man.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
I might do coke and drink a few beers on weekends, but I pledge for the Sober January 5 days a weej

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
whoa its alreadxy 15th, only half a month tho go!

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

1.Insomnia
2.Boredom
3.loneliness
4. The Trump administration
5. Interacting with the American public daily
6. There is no god. And if there happens to be id like to fistfight him.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Sentinel posted:

1.Insomnia
2.Boredom
3.loneliness
4. The Trump administration
5. Interacting with the American public daily
6. There is no god. And if there happens to be id like to fistfight him.

dont worry no hands

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i know someone who went to the hospital from binge drinking because they were upset about january 6th and I was like for real man? Are you serious?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Sid Vicious posted:

dont worry no hands

There gonna be when they catch these hands!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It is the evening of the 16th, which means that I have made it past the halfway mark for the month. I have one more real weekend to get through since the weeks aren't really a struggle for me. We're going back into work in person tomorrow so I'll be properly distracted and exhausted in the evenings and mostly in survival mode. If the weekend is anything like this one, it'll be tough but doable. I just have to keep saying, "No," even when a beer to relax while watching a movie on Saturday night sounds loving amazing. Then the last weekend is a long holiday for Lunar New Year and we'll be clear of January in the middle of it, so if I want to celebrate with a beer, I can do so.

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

i know someone who went to the hospital from binge drinking because they were upset about january 6th and I was like for real man? Are you serious?

We all have our own personal battles to fight, but Jesus Christ.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

yes i drank too much because *glances over at coffee table* [CURRENT EVENT]!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 17, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 17, 2022

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hey im not trying to be a dick but some of us are trying to stay sober from weed so if you could stop

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
is sugar high considered cheating?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Alchemist posted:

is sugar high considered cheating?

Depends on what your personal sobriety goals are. I go running a lot and it definitely alters my state of mind, but I wouldn't categorize it the same as getting high or shitfaced.

I'm not really against being drunk or buzzed, but the consumption was having a negative impact on my health. I'm more going dry just to feel better physically than anything else.

Sid Vicious posted:

hey im not trying to be a dick but some of us are trying to stay sober from weed so if you could stop

Yeah we all have our own goals and objectives with this thread, but despite that and this being GBS there's no reason to taunt, tempt, tease, or troll.

In other news my acne is gone and my wife says my face looks better.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I have not and will not have a single day without a drink this month.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I'm late to the game but gonna attempt to stop drinking.

Stopped smoking weed for job prospects a while back and filled the gap with booze, def got a gut going on now and am not enjoying it.

Got me the job, time to cut the booze and get into some shape.

Maybe random GBS thread will help, good job y'all and I hope I can stick to it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Abongination posted:

I'm late to the game but gonna attempt to stop drinking.

Stopped smoking weed for job prospects a while back and filled the gap with booze, def got a gut going on now and am not enjoying it.

Got me the job, time to cut the booze and get into some shape.

Maybe random GBS thread will help, good job y'all and I hope I can stick to it.

Welcome to the crew! We wish you all the best in your journey.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
2 weeks today. Longest it's been for a few years. The first few days were kinda rough but it was really no big deal after the 4th. I haven't really even thought about it for the last week, but I feel really, really bored while also having no motivation do do anything.

Been sleeping alot better and my side hasn't been aching though so still a step up.

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
I quit drinking almost 9 years ago and my life is so much better.

If this moron can do it I'm positive y'all can too. Being sober is rad as heck (sorry for swear)

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Is it normal to feel a constant impending doom when you are sober?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Alchemist posted:

Is it normal to feel a constant impending doom when you are sober?

"Beer fears" is what I've always called it. We talked about it up thread, but it's not unusual for one of the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal to be extreme anxiety up to and including full on panic attacks. This is exasperated by the fact that people often act like jackasses when drunk and memories are sometimes spotty at best and being sober makes you deal with that. Even if you're drinking in complete isolation, it can still feel like you killed your best friend and buried them in your backyard but can't be sure if that was just a drunk dream or something that really happened.

Weka posted:

I have not and will not have a single day without a drink this month.

I mean if it's just a beer a day it's not really a big deal, but if it's any more than that I genuinely feel sorry for your bowels.

Treecko posted:

2 weeks today. Longest it's been for a few years. The first few days were kinda rough but it was really no big deal after the 4th. I haven't really even thought about it for the last week, but I feel really, really bored while also having no motivation do do anything.

Been sleeping alot better and my side hasn't been aching though so still a step up.

Yeah this last 17 days for me has been the longest run in a couple of years. Even if I wasn't drinking heavy every weekend, it was incredibly unusual for me to go more than 4 or 5 days without any kind of alcoholic beverage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm still deciding if I want to do this, I'd cut waaay back on my drinking since I found some things I want to live for (exercise and playing guitar and affording those things mainly). I've had one beer with a meal since the New Year and it was okay, but I generally associate boozing with being lonely and sad.

My big fear is when I start going to social events again. I'm hoping to do that at the end of this month and I'll feel pretty naked without a drink and pretty anxious about who around me might secretly or unknowingly be sick.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I'm pretty mad about sober January. My sleep schedule has gotten a lot better but apart from that it's really been a downer. I don't feel any better physically, I don't have any more energy and I haven't lost any weight but the worst part is that I feel absolutely no sense of pride or satisfaction in my accomplishment so far.

It's like the feeling when I get a big lunch at work but I behave myself and save half of it for tomorrow. I don't feel proud at all that I did the healthy thing, I'm just mad that I only get to eat half my sandwich. Dry January feels the exact same way, except it's every day for a month

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah we all have our own goals and objectives with this thread, but despite that and this being GBS there's no reason to taunt, tempt, tease, or troll.

I wasn't trolling, and already shared my story of quitting booze, but since those pictures bother people, I've removed them.

I just thought they were funny, and humor helped me a lot during my initial recovery from alcoholism.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oops

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 17, 2022

Ordinary Cynic
Apr 3, 2007
Nothing suprises me...
Was dabbing a ton just to make it through 2021. Man, it was a seriously tough year. 17 days sober so far, and will keep chugging along. I can make it. At least that is what I tell myself. Guess it depends on what insanity 2022 brings. Heh.

For everyone else staying sober, stay strong!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Disco Pope posted:

I'm still deciding if I want to do this, I'd cut waaay back on my drinking since I found some things I want to live for (exercise and playing guitar and affording those things mainly). I've had one beer with a meal since the New Year and it was okay, but I generally associate boozing with being lonely and sad.

My big fear is when I start going to social events again. I'm hoping to do that at the end of this month and I'll feel pretty naked without a drink and pretty anxious about who around me might secretly or unknowingly be sick.

Soda water is a big help. I also find that I'm less interested in being at a social event until all hours, calling it quits much earlier in the evening, which means I'm home at a more respectable time (10 or 11 instead of 5am) and can actually function the next day.

Stalizard posted:

I'm pretty mad about sober January. My sleep schedule has gotten a lot better but apart from that it's really been a downer. I don't feel any better physically, I don't have any more energy and I haven't lost any weight but the worst part is that I feel absolutely no sense of pride or satisfaction in my accomplishment so far.

It's like the feeling when I get a big lunch at work but I behave myself and save half of it for tomorrow. I don't feel proud at all that I did the healthy thing, I'm just mad that I only get to eat half my sandwich. Dry January feels the exact same way, except it's every day for a month

A big part of it for me is having a kid and wanting to be less lovely on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I've been getting up, cooking nice breakfasts, and doing activities pretty consistently. If you don't have a reason to consistently avoid alcohol and consumption isn't otherwise negatively impacting your life, then staying completely dry may not be the best fit. The world is pretty awful and people need outlets for their frustrations. If anything, you've had some time to reflect on what drinking means to you. I'm going to power through until the end of the month I think because it's only 13 more days for me and after the first 18, that number doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I wasn't trolling, and already shared my story of quitting booze, but since those pictures bother people, I've removed them.

I just thought they were funny, and humor helped me a lot during my initial recovery from alcoholism.

I understand where you're coming from and was less trying to target your posts specifically but more address the tone of the thread while showing support for a Goon who is trying their best. I think weed is a fine alternative to booze, but for some people sobriety means total sobriety and substituting one substance for another isn't a meaningful improvement if the goal is to deal with demons. A lot of people have said they're giving up booze but not weed, and there's nothing wrong with that and no one called them out because I want this thread to be about personal choices and reflection and setting realistic goals, but weed memes may not be the most appropriate thing to post here if people are looking for support and one of their goals is to stay off weed.

Ordinary Cynic posted:

Was dabbing a ton just to make it through 2021. Man, it was a seriously tough year. 17 days sober so far, and will keep chugging along. I can make it. At least that is what I tell myself. Guess it depends on what insanity 2022 brings. Heh.

For everyone else staying sober, stay strong!

Stay strong! We're well over the hump. I am also worried that 2022 is going to be loving madness and I'll be right back where I was in August passing out on the couch after drinking all of the beer in the house and feeling like poo poo until I started drinking again the next evening. I just heard that everyone in my brother's family is sick right now and of course they're being coy about symptoms and won't get covid tested (they won't vaccinate and I never see them wearing or holding masks in pictures so...) and all three of their young girls are ill, so I'm just waiting to see if there are suddenly Facebook posts about dealing with new diabetes diagnoses over the next six months.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Stalizard posted:

The short-term mood rewards of drinking are immediate, and the rewards from staying alcohol-free are like a slow burn that builds up over time. The irritation and boredom are because you interrupted a familiar schedule of quick and easy dopamine rewards. Three dry weeks probably isn't enough to see a drastic change, but it still has positive effects on your sleep, internal organs, general outlook, and ability to think clearly. The more noticeable changes (bank balance, body fat, energy) stack up and compound over a longer period.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dick Jones posted:

The short-term mood rewards of drinking are immediate, and the rewards from staying alcohol-free are like a slow burn that builds up over time. The irritation and boredom are because you interrupted a familiar schedule of quick and easy dopamine rewards. Three dry weeks probably isn't enough to see a drastic change, but it still has positive effects on your sleep, internal organs, general outlook, and ability to think clearly. The more noticeable changes (bank balance, body fat, energy) stack up and compound over a longer period.

Fun fact: the 28 day standard for rehab was established just because that was how long people used to be able to take off from work and still keep their jobs. It's a little less surprising that people often end up going to rehab multiple times when you realize that the timelines of the programs were based off employment requirements, not actual recovery.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
23 days sober now. This weekend was pretty easy compared to the other two, but I also had fewer social obligations. One more week of work and then we go into the Lunar New Year break and the final stretch of the month.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

23 days sober now. This weekend was pretty easy compared to the other two, but I also had fewer social obligations. One more week of work and then we go into the Lunar New Year break and the final stretch of the month.

How is your Yoga ligaments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Zeluth posted:

How is your Yoga ligaments?

I don't know what this means and assume it's a "deez nuts" comment.

Two days to go.