Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Happy New Years, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I don’t want to be at work.

I still have two days off, and have to tamp down every time my brain brings up work thoughts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stay safe, y'all. Seeing how many cases are spiking across the U.S...it's pretty frightening.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I feel like Lithgow screaming about something on the wing. that version is the one I identify with

Mask usage is trash around here too.

Mask usage here is still high, and vaccination rate is like 78%, which is about as high as it’ll get until they get more kids approved. There’s been feet dragging over that.

I’m not sure how they’re going to roll out boosts, but mine would be in February or March. Definitely getting it ASAP of course.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I KILLED MEG GET REKT BITCH

congrats, just keep digging at it. you will get better and that fight will get so much easier.

C-Euro posted:

A few of the modifiers are free rolls or free rolls with certain weapons, but never ever take the Trap modifier. The last area will wreck you, and if it doesn't then one of the end-run boss's attacks counts as a trap and will wreck (the jars that turn into spooky hands when they break)

yeah, there's Pacts I absolutely have not touched at all. that is definitely one of them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

EM is my favorite pact, I think it makes every boss fight more fun (although I have yet to beat EM4). The only one that gets pretty hard is Tisiphone due to lack of space, I lost a death defiance to her last night and was aghast.

It's one of those games where each boss fight is a wall, and as soon as you figure it out it becomes way easier. Weird how that happens but it's true.

Think I'll try EM4 again next playthrough. The bow has always been my favorite weapon, and the Aspect of Chiron does such insane damage in the right build. Just a matter of staying alive long enough.

EM4 is rough, I don't think I've beaten that yet either. might have to give it a shot again soon.

EM3 is loving hilarious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

Hello thread I got married on New Year’s Eve and it owned and also I just came up with a dad joke

Congrats! And belated congrats to D-Link on getting not just a ‘yes,’ but a “what took you so drat long,” which is a good sign.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t get past the bone hydra. I also bleed health overdashing into lava Asphodel. The tight quarters on the hell barge really do a number too.

I’ve gotten pretty good at smiting all three furies so far, but I’ve only done it multiple times w spear, shield and bow. Can’t get the hang of the rail gun and the gloves and sword are too close-quarters for me to maintain health into the boss fight.

The others have chimed in with good advice but the one thing I wanted to add is about mentality and about approaching runs

early on, I leaned on having the gifts from Skelly (a free death defiance) and Cerberus (additional life from the jump). But what I realized is the gifts from the other gods you get boons from basically start you down the path towards speccing for them. So if you want to do an Athena-build run, start with her gift, you're guaranteed for her boon in that first room, and while it's not a guarantee you'll get more, it's pretty common to continue seeing that god pop up in other rooms as well.

it may seem like a real steep exchange, but it helped me get more into the boon-based builds and fleshing out characters that can hand out a ton of damage. maybe it's also super-obvious to others but was lost on me for a bit!

the other recommendation is to swap weapons for different runs to whichever is giving the additional darkness boost, every little bit helps.

last advice: Rail gun. Lightning boons.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

You can change your boon after you kill a boss too, so even if you need a death defiance to get past the minotaur and theseus or dad you can always spec for the god you want and then switch back to skelly's boon after you clear the hydra.

Only if you buy the thing from the construction desk next to Hades' desk, I can't remember what it's called but it puts your keepsake box inside every chamber between main areas. But you can also only use each of the keepsakes once per run. but yeah, definitely a viable strategy too - I used to switch to Achilles' for the third and fourth areas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’ve been thinking about breaking out my Beatles rock band too. It’s been a long time. Maybe my kid can bang on the drums.

Go check resale prices on eBay before committing to that :shepface: they are not making anything new instrument-wise, and adapters even are rare, but Beatles never got ported forward.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gotta bring the best dunk over here as well

https://twitter.com/LauraAnnSTL/status/1480025827140059137

good lord

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

you mean they keep those things on all the time?

huh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japan's getting Omicron pretty good it seems - Tokyo jumped up from reporting 30 cases a day to over 1,000 within about a 10-day period. and while today's a holiday I'm fully expecting to get an email tomorrow or Wednesday from work saying we're not coming into the office for the next month or so once again.

maybe it's as close to feeling dread as I'll get at the moment, but god drat, I'm really feeling frustrated and sad for you guys back in the States right now. so much has been stacked against people in the name of "rugged individualism" for a while, but this seems like it could be an actual breaking point.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Our healthcare ‘system,’ such as it is, is being pushed to the breaking point and could very well fail in the next couple of weeks and it isn’t a particularly huge story.

One of our local ED’s decon rooms (a little side room with a shower and drain for like, hosing off bloody equipment, or patients covered in poop or bedbugs) had corpses stacked in it last summer during the delta wave and like no one cares.

If there aren’t bodies stacked in front of the hospital like a movie it “isn’t happening” for a large percentage of the American public.

I'm wondering when all of this turns into metaphorical pitchforks and torches, and not just small business tyrants rioting to "stop the steal" but a wider swath of people just loving walking out and saying no.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kalli posted:

One thing younger people will not realize is that every old pc action game was awful because PC controllers were complete and abject trash until the xbox 360 came out. Just hundreds upon hundreds of godawful pieces of poo poo that were all terrible.

Flight sticks? Awesome, an actual controller that could move a character to the left or right in a proper manner? Impossible.

This but a slight change - it's not that the controllers were trash (though they largely were), it's that controller support was incredibly hit and miss.

having the Xbox 360 pad become a default PC game pad not only meant most games supported it, but supported game pads period, which then begat developers allowing for more native support for basically all of the console controllers (especially now that many also support Bluetooth).

Barudak posted:

Flight Simulator is on PC, Console, and might even be able to be streamed to your mobile phone and kicks loving rear end for flying around our planet and seeing it.

it's also available as part of Game Pass on PC and Xbox, and can confirm it actually runs and looks good on Series S. Nothing like lawn dart'ing a luxury jet into your apartment building.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Oh my god I ate too much sushi and fried ice cream with pound cake and I wanna die

That sounds like a good combo, not gonna lie. Thanks to ‘Rona it’s also been a very long time since I went out and absolutely housed sushi at a restaurant.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Just 2 foot waves in Hawaii, thankfully. The wave should coincide with a high tide on the west coast US but flooding should be minor.

https://twitter.com/AaronPerryWx/status/1482350615510626308?t=FGsK0_1u1_Qe7W2tjCEEOg&s=19

we've been getting alarms for the past few hours about tsunami warnings for the Pacific coast. some of the islands in southern Japan could be in for bad waves soon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I think the booster plays a big part. Everyone I know who is boosted had relatively mild symptoms. My work partner though was full vax but no boost but also in her late 20s and very healthy and she’s sick as poo poo. Dizzy, super weak, severe myalgia, bad sinus symptoms.

It’s wild.

That's part of the reason I decided last week we weren't going to go out much for the time being - case numbers jumping huge, my wife and I are both 4/5 months after the second shot, and while the government has pushed forward timelines for boosters, we don't know when we'll get that from our local municipality. And the last thing either of us needs is to get sick, especially since she's 8 months pregnant :v:

As soon as I'm eligible I'll go get boosted, once she's post-delivery and okay we'll see how she can get it as well. we've also heard from doctors here we might want to get boosters for MMR shots as well to deal with the newborn? Not sure what that's about yet but we'll have to look into it as well.

please stay safe y'all and minimize what trips you have to make. I know it's hard to push back on work stuff, but looking after yourself really is the most important thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

did they just pay that much for a physical copy of a book without any rights to anything being conferred

yup!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

My wife had to get a titer for Hep-B for clinicals and found she was basically not at all immune. She had the full series and all but apparently they're finding immunity waning over time.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if titers or boosters for the previous "permanent" vaccines became a thing.

yeah, makes sense. I think I had to get a tetanus booster in college once for incredibly painful reasons, so it's not a huge shock, but good to know it's not something unique.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

figured this might be the right audience for this web game

https://wikitrivia.tomjwatson.com

shockingly harder than you'd think, my best streak so far is 8.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

my highest so far is 12, either I'm really bad or getting bad pulls :psyduck:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

Oh yeah and I came in here to post that Rovell is managing to find new peaks in Rovellposting

https://twitter.com/SethKlamann/status/1483223360104374272

the Sports Journalism thread in general SAS has been having some fun with this

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

I want to reiterate that if anyone's little discord buddies wanna poo poo up the football forums it will end with them losing their accounts.

gently caress entirely off with this poo poo it is zero tolerance.

Nodoze posted:

Man, what the gently caress guys. Stop being a bunch of weirdos and cut the discord drama out

seriously, what the gently caress.

---

LeeMajors posted:

Holy poo poo I totally forgot Thursday existed.

as a posting bro put it on Twitter, this is the festival for people who graduated high school in 2004. far too many bands I recognize from the era of LiveJournal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Her fame vastly exceeded the quality of her movies anyway. Most of them are barely above straight to video.

she seems to be in that place now where a lot of the projects are as a Name to interest Non-American Markets (specifically, China), so the quality of performances doesn't have to amount to much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

this is the ultimate "saying the quiet part out loud," holy poo poo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/PabloReports/status/1483979232816635909

gently caress I hate this stupid loving country.

Hijacked by a handful of pantshitting geris and craven corporate stooges, loving bullriding this planet into oblivion.

Good god :psyduck: I think that may be the definition of bad-faith argument.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

The halftime lineup is pretty amazing

G Funk Halftime is actually gonna be fascinating and Very Good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Think I mentioned before but we had similar problems with WFH and know plenty of people who had similar here - few people have the space for dedicated offices, never mind two if both in a couple are working from home. Meant I was working from a kitchen table for a long time, which grated more than I expected.

Even in the place we bought just under a year ago, eventually there’s going to be some space issues, but that’s future problems.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Work informed me I'm going in as the senior PM for a huge job in Cleveland. We're interviewing for the project next month. Time to go make sure my suit still fits!

Ooh, good luck. I have no idea when my dress stuff will be brought out for a business trip next, and that’s kind of a blessing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That’s not finding the equivalent but instead explaining the jokes. So slight difference.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Tulips forever

Username/post combo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

i don't see the problem with the toaster thing? sometimes you gotta put your dick in a cylon. :shrug:

I get this ref

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Went down a weird rabbit hole and came across what has been my favorite conspiracy theory of all time. I always forget about it for a couple years but it always comes back up.

Stevie Wonder isn’t actually blind. There’s a billion videos on YouTube about it with people talking about it but I like this one where it’s different celebrities telling stories about Stevie messing with them, then ends in “proof” that he’s not blind. He catches a mic stand on stage that was falling over that Paul McCartney had bumped into. That’s the proof.

https://youtu.be/XsEcNlRZFgQ

Bomani Jones has had a couple of very good bits about Stevie perhaps being blind or not. A couple of the highlights included buying enormous HDTVs at Best Buy, and how good his backup singers often look.

it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, and not taken seriously, but I would joke around and say it's the only conspiracy theory I believe just to make people really confused.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

swickles posted:

Its also funny because most people assuming blind means having a complete and total lack of vision while the definition and degrees of blindness can vary greatly while still being considered "blind". Some people can only see vague shapes, some can only see a few feet in front of them, and others may have incredibly narrow fields of vision. So, someone can see, watch TV, and even react to visual stimuli but still be considered blind.

Oh for sure - I have a colleague from grad school who is legally blind but still has vision. Just somehow hadn’t connected that possibility to Stevie at all.

[Edit] the best podcast episode I listened to last year. So good.

https://youtu.be/iUcihzoAVe8

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1485375239785615360

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Make sure you gift nectar to each of the gods. They give you trinkets that let you make them appear in the next possible room. Level the trinkets up by having them equipped as you clear rooms and it'll increase the rarity of the boons they offer

If you put the Ares boon on the shield special it'll give you a pretty safe way to get through but you'll eventually need to learn how to avoid attacks. Make sure to buy the extra dash and extra health at the mirror and all of the death defiances

the other thing I'll say for the posters in here getting started on Hades: God Mode isn't a cheat. It helps reduce some damage taken, but it's also a good way to give yourself enough time to learn the things you need to learn without either only getting to that area once, or by getting to a place and dying right away. There's so much in the game past the first time you clear it, lowering that wall shouldn't be seen as cheating at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

looks like it was nuked by YouTube.

BlindSite posted:

Oh man it's been a little rough usually Christmas right through til Feb is just constant. Its been a bit of a boon to being unemployed and deciding I wasn't going to spend a cent on booze to my fitness though. Dropped like 7 pounds in January.

plus of course it's when the good weather is for you guys too, which I can understand. the Barty Party sounded like it was fun, but I'm ready for footy to come back.

also man some of these playoff games have been Real Good, but it's been tough focusing on work on Monday mornings when both Sunday games are as lit as they have been.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Is it even the guy who created it that's getting the money? I remember reading about how he specifically declined to trademark anything and that's why so many copycats popped up

Presumably?

https://twitter.com/powerlanguish/status/1488263944309731329

A posting buddy made the good point that Twitter absolutely could have been a good purchaser of this, content that makes you want to engage in the platform on a daily basis. But eh, the NYT is probably fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

At my company if you give yourself anything more than a 3/5 they'll come back and say "Really? Like, really?" and make you "reevaluate". Managers also get to do a score and if they go above 3/5 upper management just comes down and says "Yeah, nah - make them a 3."

gently caress corporations.

Yeah same, ours has four different categories but the Meets Expectations is where basically everyone gets dropped into.

What’s the point of other options if you’re only using one? What is this, the IGN scoring rubric of old?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I just want to see Yuzuru Hanyu go ham and put up a fight in the skating ring. Also wanna see how many of the Russian women land their quads since they are absolutely going to dominate in the figure skating arena. Also all the long and short track speed skating. I have Apollo Anton Ohno's autograph in a book of weird conspiracy theories from the mid-90's.

Shame there won’t be any Winnie the Poohs tossed onto the ice after Hanyu skates

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

T-Square posted:

With the next gen Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport around the corner I’m finding it really hard to resist the urge to go hunt down a PS5 or XSX and plonk it down on a credit card with a new wheel set up.

I'm not sure about PS5 availability but Gran Turismo 7 is going to also be on the PS4 (which is how I'm going to play it), which may not be the best graphics-wise but GT Sport - which GT7 is heavily based on - still looks very, very good on a 1080p TV and a base PS4.

I'm also not sure about Xbox Series X availability but the Xbox Series S is still a damned fine way to get access to the new games, and if you ever upgrade, it's a great second room streaming console/won't lose too much value to sell it on. Only issues are that it's 1440p instead of 4K, doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive (more for games than media) and the internal HDD is ~370 gb, which means shuffling game downloads. I have one, it runs Forza Horizon 5 incredibly well, and I managed to snag Forza 7 before it went off sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

T-Square posted:

I’m pretty sure Patrick Dempsey quit acting to pursue racing cars full time which is pretty rad, he has a pretty well established team!

E: is there anything more annoying than waking up all tangled in your fitted sheet? Stay on my bed you fucker :argh:

He did a full season as a driver, now is a name/part owner of a team in the World Endurance Championship (the championship what rotated around Le Mans) and a Porsche ambassador along with doing more acting because why turn down the money.

Michael Fassbender is also making a run at being in Le Mans soon.