Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Happy New Year friends. Soylent Green, Geostorm, and The Purge all take place in 2022, so

Cavauro posted:

thinking of buying a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Samadhi posted:

I envy no man that has to shovel gravel driveways

I had a 100'x30' gravel driveway until I had concrete poured this last summer. Snowblowing/shoveling never felt so good.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Vertical Lime posted:

10 inches isn't normal around there

:smug:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I always thought there's something cool about the real deal - million years old and forged deep in the earth.

Unfortunately the whole massive pain and suffering that usually goes along with retrieving them kind of outweighs that.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Our (and every other EMS agency) is being hammered because working conditions have been trash for two years, EMT and medic programs are folding everywhere, and administrators are out of answers for how to make the job more attractive to younger people.

Lots of "PEOPLE JUST DONT WANT TO HELP PEOPLE ANYMORE" or "I USED TO WORK 72 HOURS AT A TIME I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY NO ONE IS DEDICATED TO EMS ANYMORE" and "ITS A CALLING NOT A JOB." Uh, no. This is transactional and I expect to be paid and you have to make the job appealing to employees or we are just going to keep hemorrhaging people.

There are lots of challenges - increasing call volumes, stagnant budgets.

Thankfully our agency doesn't do forced overtime, but that's a huge issue at basically every other agency. Also lovely night shift assignments with no shift diff. So we just end up with a rotating cast of inexperienced people on nights and an entrenched veteran class on during the day. Which is remarkable considering night shift staffing has been a solved issue in every other arm of healthcare for forty years.

It's bewildering and I'm not sure where it ends, but probably with a lot of intelligent, talented providers in other fields.

There's a 20 year medic on my city's service that basically says the same thing every opportunity he gets. Every article that gets posted by an industry page or mag gets a comment about how there isn't a shortage but poo poo pay for the work.

Spent some time talking to him when we were both working at the same station and the conclusion seems to be getting the old hats out of leadership and the "younger" generation who actually gets the problem in their place. I saw this at my FD with an old chief who is now a town commissioner constantly talking with how back in his day people would come down and work for free and that $10/hr for FTE should be enough. Just a sheer level of cluelessness.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Freaquency posted:

Meanwhile our CEO was asked about a bonus for last year and he apparently said he didn’t want to give it because then “people will just expect it every year” :fuckoff:

I sure hope the follow-up question was how big his bonus would be...

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Joey Freshwater posted:

And my dumb rear end is over here giving away farts for free

No kidding. I've been fumigating this loving room waiting for my daughter to fall asleep when I could be retiring.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Legit waiting for my poo poo multinational employer to install miners on all our workstations as a means to "boost profits".

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

I still don’t understand what religious objection could be made here but then again the invocation of ‘my beliefs’ never requires any documentation.

One of the many shitheads who send their emails to me instead of their similar email address accidentally forwarded her exemption request to me. Her exemption was based on being "created in God's perfect image and as such does not believe in modifying that image or design, and anything that changes functionality is against God's plan."

Her email contains in her signature a photo of her. She's wearing glasses.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I remember firing up Doom and Wolfenstein on my family's 286, then upgrading to a top of the line 386 and feeling like I could play absolutely anything.

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, Rogue Squadron, Quake. AIM and being able to chat with friends without being overheard. There weren't "influencers" and if you wanted to send an email you drat well better know the case...

Goddamn I miss the early days of the internet sometimes.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

I'm going to sound so old saying this, but Facebook really loving ruined everything. Also capitalism.

Yep, going to agree there. The switch from "experts are experts for a reason" to "everyone has an opinion that is valid" feels like it can be rooted in social media, and they're the granddaddy of them all.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
My wife worked with an asymptomatic positive person last week and she's the only person out of the other three in the ambulance she was on that hasn't gotten it. She's also the only boosted one. Boosters work y'all.

My 2yo daughter had a close contact in her daycare Friday and they just down for this week. She's now stuffy with a light fever. She'll be tested Thursday. Her class has also had a number of kids with plain old colds so I'm really, really hoping that's it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

The Glumslinger posted:

The cold vs allergies vs low symptom covid game is pretty annoying

Yeah, this isn't our first rodeo, but with all the close contacts in short order it's making the anxiety through the roof.

I know the vast majority of people who get it have no long term issues but we've made it this far, I'd like to be able to say we protected her all the way through. They need to hurry up on that under-5 vaccine 😕

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I just had to give to half-hour presentations on the production floor, which means basically yelling with a mask. Started to cough about 20 minutes into each of them, and I've never been so tempted to say "no, no, don't worry, I've had four straight nights with my wife at work, it's a weed cough" at my place of work. COVID times are weird.

I did an outdoor pub-ed for a preschool over the summer where we put on our turnout gear and went on air so they could hear how we sounded and not be scared. On one of the rotations I managed to get a gnat into my face piece and inhaled. The pressure off the air tank slammed that fucker down my throat and I spent the next 10 minutes hacking my lungs out trying to explain to everyone in the next group that no I'm not sick, I inhaled a bug.

Good times.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1480946307409887239

Good thing people breath less than once every ten seconds

I don't know about you but I hold my breath for 20 seconds after every breath so I don't breathe in anyone's farts.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I completely forgot about the Jetfighter series. Especially Jetfighter II where you got to bomb buildings into flat planes on the ground. Played the poo poo out of that.

For excellent music, Terminal Velocity and the Descent series are near the top of my list.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Joey Freshwater posted:

You could just play based on a true story Ace Combat 7

You joke but I legit love the Ace Combat series. Just a bunch of crazy loopdy loops and blowing poo poo up.

LeeMajors posted:

There was a fun helicopter sim too but I can’t remember the name of it. Had Apaches and Comanches and Cobras and it struck a good sim/entertainment balance. Got a lot of mileage out of that one. It might’ve been a Janes but I can’t remember right off.

Maybe Apache Longbow, are you?

E: or Gunship! ? I definitely remember the game you're describing, but hell if I can think of the name.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
poo poo, I forgot about Red Baron!

Samadhi posted:

Remember this? I played the Game Gear version all the loving time

That game was loving amazing!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Samadhi posted:

Chewy bacon is superior bacon.

I too like pork flavored chewing gum.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Still waiting on my daughter's test tomorrow, but her fever broke this morning and she's feeling like a million bucks. I'm guessing she got a regular old cold at a lovely time. If not and it was the rona, couldn't have asked for a better result.

Looking forward to that test tomorrow!

Kalli posted:

#BoycottMcDonalds is trending

I wonder why...

Oh it's because the Ronald McDonald House in Vancouver is evicting the parents of a 4 year old with leukemia because they refuse to get vaccinated.

Ah.

I'm conflicted.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Intruder posted:

Incredible considering the voting population is 240 million and of them only like 140 million voted

Duh, the 300 million helped perpetuate the fraud! Kids and felons all conspired to do a fraud!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I'm very disappointed in the newspaper headline.

She's very clearly a lieutenant commander, not a cadet.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Samadhi posted:

It sounds like people had some questions ITT that are going unanswered, Timby, if you have time to answer those.

Does it really matter? Whatever the issue was got resolved or he wouldn't be back.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

bobjr posted:

Well he is a King and it’s a noble gas

Boooo

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
My daughter tested negative after having a close contact followed by a fever and I feel like a million pounds lighter.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

I think the booster plays a big part. Everyone I know who is boosted had relatively mild symptoms. My work partner though was full vax but no boost but also in her late 20s and very healthy and she’s sick as poo poo. Dizzy, super weak, severe myalgia, bad sinus symptoms.

It’s wild.

My wife also runs part time on my EMS service. She ran with a crew of four two weeks back and one of them tested positive the following day and was asymptomatic. The other two folks on the rig got really sick as well in the following days. She's the only one who didn't catch it and is the only one with her booster.

poo poo works, apparently.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

harperdc posted:

As soon as I'm eligible I'll go get boosted, once she's post-delivery and okay we'll see how she can get it as well. we've also heard from doctors here we might want to get boosters for MMR shots as well to deal with the newborn? Not sure what that's about yet but we'll have to look into it as well.

My wife had to get a titer for Hep-B for clinicals and found she was basically not at all immune. She had the full series and all but apparently they're finding immunity waning over time.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if titers or boosters for the previous "permanent" vaccines became a thing.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I'd take the cash now but would be lying if I didn't say there are times I miss the complete innocence of being that young and get depressed.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

Whole bunch of random people showing up in the chat thread for the first time ever just to bust Timby IMO is weirder than his story of what happened.

Yeah, seriously. Dude made everything right or he wouldn't be here. If that ain't good enough that can straight gently caress off.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Suck on that Tom Brady.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Qwijib0 posted:

Me: I wish my 4 year old would stop saying "here girl", "roll over", and putting bowls of Cheerios around on the floor for her 10 month old sister, she's not a dog.

Also me: gosh they're playing together for a long time, who cares.

This is the correct answer

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Interesting that they need safe space

Man, what a bunch of snowflakes.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

BlindSite posted:

My kupp runneth over with the sentiment. gently caress brady

This ain't the gdt

This is always an ok post in the Chat Thread, friend!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Braksgirl posted:

I don't do the gdt since it was made clear to me I was not welcome there.

Who the hell??

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

gently caress Tom Br*dy

:hai:

I love GDTs because I can write gently caress like I'm yelling it really loud but I can't in real life because my kids are sitting next to me.

Also I suppose it might be time to retire the sparkle crotch 🙁

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

Go old school:

The sole reason I'll never wear Crocs.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I think I'm in love

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Leperflesh posted:

As a former saxophone player (in elementary/high school) I can assure you that it is not easy to get such excellent tone from a baritone sax when you are a small person. That's impressive all on its own.

I played sax from 4th grade up through about 5 years ago (and then a few times a year for alumni bands and stuff) and yeah... It's drat impressive. Especially so since I had the, uh, fun?, of playing the lead alto part for Tank! in one of my jazz bands 😐

Kalli posted:

In other news, I guess they just ran out of suntan lotion a third of the way through?

https://i.imgur.com/pw9sLjg.mp4

:stonk:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Chat Thread gettin' weird

Quiet Feet posted:

Speaking of plowing

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

General Dog posted:

Do employee self evaluations typically mean anything? I rated myself 3/5 overall

At my company if you give yourself anything more than a 3/5 they'll come back and say "Really? Like, really?" and make you "reevaluate". Managers also get to do a score and if they go above 3/5 upper management just comes down and says "Yeah, nah - make them a 3."

gently caress corporations.