Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

It seems like every time there’s a big snow dump in Portland at least a couple people straight up abandon their cars in the middle of the interstate, like, decide the icy roads aren’t worth it and just walk away leaving their vehicle behind, and usually I’m utterly baffled by that kind of decision making, but man, that kinda jam makes me understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

Ugh Covid is up to thousands of cases a day here now - the govts decided to let it rip for - reasons now that everyone is 80% vaxed. The problem is my brothers fiance is pregnant, my parents have health issues and I get sinus problems / flare ups for no discernible reason. The tests that are supposed to be readily available are so low in stock everywhere they're being price gouged - like 60 dollars for a pack of 5. So Much so that some pharmacies are breaking down packs into singles and selling them for as much as 15 dollars a pop.

I got some intel from a buddy of mine who works in supply chain stuff and he was telling me a lot of big companies assumed the govt was going to give them out for free or demand they were sold at a capped price - like all the other testing has been and cancelled large orders and only ordered small batches as there wasn't great profit in it. The govt has for whatever reason decided there would be no "interference" with pricing at the 11th hour - so basically you have people popping positive at a 20% test rate in the govt testing facilities. No tests available for purchase and the ones you can get are almost unaffordable because companies are jacking up the price.

I've also got a few emails from jobs I've applied for stating they're suspending their hiring process "for the time being" given the evolving situation with Covid 19 or are conducting all future interviews via phone or online.

This is kind of giving me the anxieties the last couple of days. I want to find a new job but this is making it much harder and I can't risk getting someone in my family sick and can't afford to burn cash on surety that I'm fine and able to visit when I want to.

Regardless of job prospects and resources, being unemployed absolutely sucks and I hate it, you’ve got my sympathies. It’s not just that we’ve come to define our role in society and wellbeing by the work that we do, or even the uncertainty of the future and financial stability, but just personally speaking not having that purpose, that THING to do is super destructive to me, and when there’s a pandemic it’s pretty difficult to find another thing to involve yourself in.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Starting a Divinity: Original Sin 2 run tonight with three other people.

It's dorf battlemage time.

Maybe a hot take since it seems crazy popular but I bounced off that game hard, even with a prebuilt character and thinking I understood the basics I couldn’t get anywhere on the first island without absolutely getting my poo poo rocked in combat, and without any actual indications about what I was doing wrong or could change I got pretty mad and dropped it. Like, I used to muscle through OG Baldur’s Gate and whatnot, I like to think I’m okay with unfriendly and confusing systems, but D:OS2 just wasn’t for me.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Oh hell yes, Waterworld playing at the second run theater this weekend, gonna get real baked and watch Hopper go nuts

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I think what bothers me most is the “rah rah we’re all a team let’s go #togetherstrong!” middle manager tepid pep talk is honestly worse than saying nothing. poo poo, I’d prefer they just tell me to gently caress off instead of this!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

bobjr posted:

I think some Dems want it to be, but it won’t catch on because they don’t have the built in single issue audience.

I also don’t think they’ve got the fortitude to actually vilify their opponents the way Republicans do, they’re too busy being reasonable adults in search of compromise to make more than the most mild philosophical and abstract critique

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I look forward to when Democratic leadership finally comes together with Stephen Miller in 15 years because “he wanted to set up death camps the right way, not like these new guys”

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hey, did the Capital Steps get invited to the first anniversary of 9-11 service? Maybe there’s precedent

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Overnight oats are good stuff, I usually just went straight oats/milk with maybe some berries to mix it up, but someone ITT recommended chicken stock and I gotta say, savory isn’t a terrible way to do it, especially for lunch. I usually toss in some stuff like pepper flakes, a dash of sesame oil, whatever to give it just a little more nuance if I’m going that route.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I had my research statistics professor teach off his unpublished textbook manuscript, probably a few ethical issues in there but he gave it out for free so I’ll call it a wash

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

Im down to eggs, protein powder ham and some canned goods. Was planning on grocery shopping today. Can't get a delivery of groceries til Monday.

I think I have some flour and yeast kicking around so I can make some flat bread or something.

Might also just order like 50 bucks of Chinese food too.

Lol, do it dude, if there’s ever a time and a reason to blow the diet for a day or two

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh poo poo, I saw him do standup a few months back, the same week Norm Macdonald died. Pretty good show, closing out with an unironic soulful acoustic guitar song was definitely not a choice I’d ordinarily love but given he spent a good chunk of the set just reminiscing about Norm and their relationship it was nice. Funny guy, I’ll always treasure childhood memories of AFHV, for better or worse it played a big role in inuring me to stupid internet videos.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Having a top federal court seems like a normal idea though :confused:

Depends on whether you see their role as to oversee the judiciary or wanna go full “overturn Marburg V Madison” and redefine their role in regard to the executive/legislative

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Braksgirl posted:

Same but if we're doing 90s clothes again, I want my grunge back. Or the flowery dresses with the little t-shirts underneath. Those were fun.

My teens have been going in on huge JNCO style jeans and I am HERE FOR IT, nu metal 4 lyfe!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LeeMajors posted:

I just wish I could get the old American Apparel triblend track shirts from like 10-12 years ago still. The newer ones aren't nearly as good, and I still have 4 or 5 from way back that are hanging tough. No labels, fit great...best shirts I've ever owned.

Yeah I’ve got some AA shirts via Threadless from goddamn college 15 years ago that are still doing just fine, unreal lasting quality. Whether it’s good that I still wear them, I mean, come on, that’s not the point.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The first computer game I remember playing was that DOS chatbot psychologist, which on reflection may explain a lot

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I really wish Ace Combat would get ported to Switch, as near as I can tell there’s an utter dearth of air combat sims on it and I just wanna blow up some dudes in a dogfight

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Braksgirl posted:

I'm dying, y'all. Someone I work with posted in our agency group about a problem with a katana that her son bought at Epcot in the Japan pavilion. Despite living in Orlando, they had to get it mailed to their house (can't have weapons in the park, I guess) and it came in today. She was mad because when they unsheathed the sword there was an inscription on it and she thought maybe someone had bought it and returned it so they got a used sword.

The inscription said "To my brother Budd, the only man I ever loved. - Bill". She had no idea.

I get that reference!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LeeMajors posted:

NYY promoted a woman to manager of their Tampa affiliate and predictably, regressives have some scorching hot takes on it.

https://twitter.com/JoshJenkins116/status/1481436347852365829?s=20

I’d really like for a female MMA athlete or whoever to kick the living poo poo out of him, just for fun

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Play posted:

Are these idiots aware that a joint/blunt can have literally whatever amount of marijuana you want in it

The fun thing about our elected officials is that when it comes to marijuana, political party doesn’t matter and it’s not enough they’re all regressive, they’re also the biggest goddamn dweebs about the whole thing too

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

seiferguy posted:

They should bring in the Liberty Bong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetCWINza5w

How High was a goddamn masterpiece

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Guze posted:

lmao I hope Boris has to resign for his "boozy parties"

Of all the stupid goddamn things to finally sink the fucker

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh hey he’s not white what a crazy coincidence

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Freaquency posted:

I hope they don’t gently caress this up since they wrapped up the series about as well as they could have.

It was a little funny that by the end of the series I was way more invested in Boyd’s story than Raylan’s but hell, I’ll take all the more Justified I can get, no complaints here

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I mean, there’s lots of stuff they could do to make Boba Fett cool, but they kind of already did it with the Mandalorian (as in literally that character, not Boba Fett showing up in it), once the novelty of watching someone in that outfit blast a buncha aliens and stormtroopers wears off, there’s not much left for Boba Fett to work with.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I grew my hair out in high school, it was very voluminous and heavy and curled just right so my head looked like a muffin top, hence my spending the next 16 years buzzing it to stubble

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoeank posted:

Chili is american bolognese

Do people eat bolognese straight from a bowl with no pasta? Or has the whole world adopted the Italian version of Cincinnati chili?

I’m also trying to decide where the line transitions between stew and pot roast, is it just whether the meat is pre cut?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
poo poo, maybe I’m weird but I’d be grateful for the chance to age with whatever small amount of grace and understanding, even from a personal growth standpoint that sounds nice, I like living and would appreciate the chance to do more of it

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

General Dog posted:

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes

So it’s TF2 hats all over again?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hot Diggity! posted:

USPS is giving out free COVID tests

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Thanks for this!

Throwing another gripe on the pile, you can’t double dip like I tried by ordering them for both me and my kid since it’s 1 order per residential address, which makes sense for she and I, but I also tried ordering for all the families on my caseload, and that doesn’t really fit for a family of 9 people.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Great, sexy rhymes with Nazi enough that “I’m too Nazi for my job” is gonna be stuck in my head all day

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I was a big fan of weird and grungy Angelina, once she went full Hollywood glamour icon she stopped being interesting. Then again, to be fair after banging Billy Bob Thornton I’m sure anyone would want to turn their life around

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My voice is basically a gentile Harvey Fierstein if he took too many Valium, and I feel my posts reflect that

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Charging $17 for a Lunchable

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

A low key highlight for me is the ankle-height window/lightbox/decoration slot/???

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

harperdc posted:

Bomani Jones has had a couple of very good bits about Stevie perhaps being blind or not. A couple of the highlights included buying enormous HDTVs at Best Buy, and how good his backup singers often look.

it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, and not taken seriously, but I would joke around and say it's the only conspiracy theory I believe just to make people really confused.

I still throw out Fake Avril Lavigne theories every time she comes up in conversation, meaning I force them into a conversation because I love it

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I mean, it’s not like I anticipate the senate getting better any time soon, better than going full RBG, but still woo boy I’m not going to enjoy watching this play out

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That’s not the problem with Boba. The problem is that the writing and some of the casting sucks.

Boba Fett is basically a blank canvas, they could have made something good with that opportunity.

Sounds like that Pedro Pascal guy might actually be a good actor! Like, near as I can tell the Mandalorian show was exactly what everyone nerded out about EU Boba Fett, just with the serial numbers filed off.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I guess I should be upset at the increasing polarization of the country, but that so much of it is petty idiots throwing endless and insufferable tantrums over basic healthcare is really goddamn funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

T-Square posted:

I thought David Chang was kind of a dick so it’s cool to see he might be making an effort to turn that around. Also I have a copy of Momofuku and yeah there’s some pretty fancy rear end food in there. One of my recent favs though is Jon Favreaus Chef Show, it’s adorable watching Chef Roy teaching him how to make stuff and be patient but rib him at the same time.

Also one time I made Jae Yuk and brought some to work for lunch and the elderly Korean lady asked me where I got it from because it looked so good, and I said I made it myself and she was really impressed :3:

That being said, I’d 100% eat the hell out of some bulgogi tots.

I’ve admittedly skipped that because I find Jon Favreaus’ on-screen presence pretty obnoxious, I’m sure it’s toned down from his outright acting but it still feels like a major barrier to entry