Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Crisis Core Reunion, Hard Mode - the combat kicks rear end but the voice acting is really phoned in for most of the game. theres certain scenes that are a laughable change in quality where before i felt like i was listening to the worst dubbed anime ever to high quality acting and animation. some things were definitely prioritized where other parts corners were cut but all and all its fine. in the end i enjoyed it but i feel it's not a $50 game.

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

55. AM2R

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order

When it worked it was really good, but the combat had a tendency to be janky and the game was too long by quite a bit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Halo 2: this game is a billion times better than halo 1 its unreal. more varied environments, more detailed graphics, arenas that dont repeat, very little copypasting even if high charity at times felt a bit samey, vehicles feel better, more weapons, more stakes in the story, more music, and the sword is the best kind of weapon, one that works as a mobility tool. using the lunge to jump back to a higher tier of an arena felt great

unfortunately the brutes are unbearable to fight and the latter half of the game is littered with thousands of the fuckers, but overall, i could see myself maybe a year or so down the line replaying this, while you would have to hold me at gunpoint to replay halo 1 and even then id take my chances with the gun jamming. i cant believe im saying this, but this contard shooter is good

halo ftw. 2 is really great until Brutes became the main enemy when they should be used sparingly as minibosses. just have way too much hp

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

63) Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - True Ending

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ace Attorney Investigations. I was enjoying it until the last case, which was fine until you catch the criminal you had been looking for, who killed your friend’s father and escaped after a previous case and was presented as the mastermind of the conspiracy you’ve been unraveling, which should have been the end but then she goes “oh yeah I didn’t actually kill the guy in this case and I’m not actually the leader—it’s actually this guy who’s had two lines in the game so far.” And then you spend an unbearably long time solving a mystery that the game already told you the answer to and it just kind of spins its wheels until the end, has evidence suddenly pop up in a conversation right before you need to use it, just generally very annoying. And that pretty much burned up all my goodwill right at the end lol.

There’s a new Logic mechanic where you piece together different facts and thoughts Edgeworth has to discover new realizations about the case, and it’s funny because they use it for really obvious stuff that shouldn’t take a long train of thought to figure out and it makes Edgeworth look really stupid. There was once where he saw that a room that was supposed to be soundproofed had a window open and the Logic chain is “the room is soundproof so no one should have heard the gunshot… but the window was opened… you can smell the faint scent of flowers from in here… yes of course, incorporeal things like scents can still travel freely even through the window’s bars… what’s another incorporeal thing that could have traveled through the bars of this open window… my god, sound! The sound of the gunshot!”

Anyway I’ve heard really good things about the sequel and already have the fan translation loaded up on my Steam Deck so I’m looking forward to trying that. But I think I need a break after this last case first lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Edgeworth figuring out that a window being opened in a soundproof room means that it’s not soundproof anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSKTndbwVo&t=62s

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
edgeworth 2 is one of the best games in the series. enjoy, eventually

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

absolutely anything posted:

edgeworth 2 is one of the best games in the series. enjoy, eventually

This

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

25. Jedi Fallen Order

It's like Sekiro-lite-lite-lite but I love Sekiro so much that even that was enough for me. It had some cool moments, and some frustrating moments, but overall I liked it - the most annoying thing for me was that there are secrets to find but most of them just unlock cosmetics, which I don't care about, but a very few are actually useful like more health, more force power, and extra heals, which meant I felt like I had to do the exploring but 9 times out of 10 I was disappointed. I also somehow managed to miss all the extra heals until about 10 hours into the 12 hour game, so a lot of the second half felt more difficult than it needed to be as the "bonfires" spaced out more but I didn't have more heals to compensate. The story wasn't anything special but it didn't annoy me or anything, and I did like pretty much all of the characters. I'll definitely play the sequel but probably not until it's on discount or GamePass.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yakuza 3 (100%)

The Okinawa chapters where Kiryu is helping out kids at the orphanage are great, and it's nice to have some new scenery. Other than that, this was pretty rough since it's the oldest game in the series I've played. Most of the minigames were janky, and this had the most brutal completion list so far by a wide margin. Hopefully this one gets the Kiwami treatment someday.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yakuza 3 (100%)

The Okinawa chapters where Kiryu is helping out kids at the orphanage are great, and it's nice to have some new scenery. Other than that, this was pretty rough since it's the oldest game in the series I've played. Most of the minigames were janky, and this had the most brutal completion list so far by a wide margin. Hopefully this one gets the Kiwami treatment someday.

its the last game in the series you could make n argument for a kiwami i think. 4 sucks but the parts tht suck arent really fixable without makin a completely new game and 5 onwards are perfect. the okinawa stuff all kicks rear end but theres enough rough edges that a kiwami could sand off

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Haven't been able to finish as many games as I normally do this year but I did beat Elden Ring several times

Games Beat
1. Grim Dawn - drat, this game's good. It scratches that aRPG itch I ocassionally have perfectly.
2. Elden Ring - Beat this four or five times it's so loving good holy poo poo. Can't wait to get back into it some later time.
3. Tetris Effect - You never truly beat Tetris but y'know, I beat the journey mode of Tetris Effect.
4. 20 Minutes Till Dawn - Another one I'd say you can't truly beat, but I played through what was out of it at the time, good game.
5. Judgment - Firing this up was like coming home to Kamurocho, great game.
6. Lost Judgment - For a while I was like "wow this is better than Yakuza 0" but then I ran into some annoying stuff. Still top tier game. There's a cat on the title screen.
7. CrossCode - Fun charming game with some pacing problems, still gotta finish that DLC.
8. Final Fantasy V (Remaster) - It's always good, really. I have trouble going back to a lot of older games, even ones that I liked a lot but not this one.

Normally I beat Super Metroid once a year... haven't done that this year. Yet. There's still time. Maybe I will if I'm in the mood.

Games I started and am determined to finish, but not this year.
Monster Hunter Rise - Having a lot of fun so far.
Metal Hellsinger - I like FPS games and I like metal. Now if only I was good at timing my mouse clicks with the beat of the music....

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yakuza 3 (100%)

This is where I'm at with Y3 too, love the vibes but it shows its age. A Kiwami remake would kick rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first Yakuza I played was Yakuza on PS2 so I never felt like Y3 was rough..you have no idea how bad it could be.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Aston posted:

25. Jedi Fallen Order

It's like Sekiro-lite-lite-lite but I love Sekiro so much that even that was enough for me. It had some cool moments, and some frustrating moments, but overall I liked it - the most annoying thing for me was that there are secrets to find but most of them just unlock cosmetics, which I don't care about, but a very few are actually useful like more health, more force power, and extra heals, which meant I felt like I had to do the exploring but 9 times out of 10 I was disappointed. I also somehow managed to miss all the extra heals until about 10 hours into the 12 hour game, so a lot of the second half felt more difficult than it needed to be as the "bonfires" spaced out more but I didn't have more heals to compensate. The story wasn't anything special but it didn't annoy me or anything, and I did like pretty much all of the characters. I'll definitely play the sequel but probably not until it's on discount or GamePass.

its full of people standing near cliffs and you can force push them so its pretty good overall

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

elf help book posted:

its full of people standing near cliffs and you can force push them so its pretty good overall

That's true, although I couldn't bring myself to finish Fallen Order, I'm afraid to say. It'll never beat the force pushing/force choking stormtroopers off cliffs in Jedi Academy, though. That was always good fun :D

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this is why huckin people into th river in kiwami 2 is so good isnt it

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Parasite Eve

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
put up a video of a run on PS4 TGM1. not fantastic but good enough. I can probably PB on this eventually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsaCNqfEmJY

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0

2. Elden Ring (Update)
Replayed this twice in the past couple months and yep, still loving rules.

3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy
5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)
7. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
8. Live A Live (2022 Remake)
9. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade + INTERmission
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II campaign (2022)

11. Tactics Ogre Reborn
Still an absolute classic.

This sits in an interesting space between a remaster and a remake. It's a remaster of the PSP version of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but with such sweeping mechanical changes that it feels as different from the PSP version as the PSP version does from the SNES/PSX one. And by and large I really like the mechanical changes. They've stripped down character building to fewer, more impactful choices, added some nice QoL, improved classes that were previously too weak, and added a buff card system that creates an interesting momentum effect in combat.

I'll be playing this on and off for the next few months probably as I go through the massive postgame content in between playing other things. Really cool game, highly recommended to anyone who likes strategy RPGs.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 29, 2022

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

70) MegaMan Legends 2

I never got a good handle on how to use the Lifter subweapon, so I always felt like I was fighting half the enemy roster wrong.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

elf help book posted:

Going into a fight with the black suited troopers with the special purple weapons and immediately pushing them off a cliff never got old

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

deep fear

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tokimeki memorial - pure essence

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

56. Super Mario Bros. 3

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Soul Hackers 2

Another meh game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

64) Bomberman 64

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

64) Bomberman 64

well that worked out nicely lol

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

71) Not a Hero

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Metal Gear Solid: rode off into the alaskan wilderness with Meryl

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

well that worked out nicely lol

lol I didn't even notice

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
1. Squid Game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

sockpuppetclock posted:

1. Squid Game

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

1. Squid Game

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

sockpuppetclock posted:

1. Squid Game

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sockpuppetclock posted:

1. Squid Game

You are the weakest link goodbye, heh

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Super Metroid
Mega Man Legends 2
Onimusha: Warlords

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

32. Super Mario Bros.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Super Mario Bros 3

actually done twice but forgot to post in summer as it was done on a plane