Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
1) Nier replicant (all endings): the music is so good, ending E was cool, makes me want to replay automata and see the refs I missed the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
FF7 intergrade - I put it off for a bit because I thought it would lean more on nostalgia than being a fun game, but it was great. The theme for the arsenal fight is the best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUvL07SIFM

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Final Fantasy IX - one of the few main FF games I hadn't finished before, good game but my least favorite of the ps1 trio, I still like 8 more for the characters and setting

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FF7 Remake. What the heck happened

You walked through the swirly thing and epic stuff happened

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Sekiro (immortal severance ending): I'd played through roughly the first half of it before but felt like I never really got the combat and was really struggling. I came back to it about 10 days ago and it immediately clicked. None of the bosses were too rough this time except corrupted monk final phase killing me like 10 times and the final boss like 40. Absolutely epic game.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Congrats, gamer.

:cheersdoge: now please give me elden ring miyazaki

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

John Romero posted:

is bloodstained good on switch yet

It takes forever to load but otherwise is ok

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

constantly crashing and looking like poo poo even when its not throwing up straight up graphical errors is really stretching the definition of ok

I haven't had any crashing but also stopped playing pretty early cause everytime I died to a boss it took like a minute to load a save

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

i had to save before talking to any npc because it was basically a 50/50 on whether or not it would crash. there were a couple of times i forgot and lost like an hour of progress for daring to check the shop. if i was extra lucky the only thing it would do is this

like honestly i think the switch version should be actually illegal to sell. the nicest thing you can say about it is that it's technically beatable

lol drat, maybe I won't get back to it. I have it on computer but got it cheap for switch like a month ago because I wanted to replay it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kongming posted:

I've never played Dirge and have only heard bad things about it, so their addition doesn't mean much to me. The one in the Yuffie DLC was alright but I felt like the bosses in the DLC overall were too easy because Synergize was so strong. Synergized Art of War did a quarter of a bosses healthbar, more if it was staggered.

Like legit the hardest encounter in the entire DLC was a drat Wrath Hound in chapter 1. Those things are fuckers.

lol yeah those dogs were rough. I liked the dlc a lot and the dirge parts were good enough on their own but it was a weird tonal clash with the rest of the dlc. Yuffie at the end bawling and pounding the ground in the last fmv especially

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Elden ring - even better than I expected, easy goty. The atmosphere and sound and design was much weirder and cooler than ds 1-3. Took about 75 hours and ended around level 150. I've still got some optional stuff to do but I think I hit the major things, Ranni questline, Fia questline, and the heligtree. I tried to kill both the big secret boss and the final mandatory boss a bunch of times as a haphazard int/quality build, but eventually gave up and respeced to 99 dex and katanas lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
6) Devil survivor overclocked: I put this down last year when I got a switch, but was on day 7 so decided to get back to it. Overall it was an interesting and mostly good take on smt as an srpg. Skill cracking, customizing your humans, and the way they worked in press turns were all cool. I'll give devil survivor 2 a shot sometime, if they build on what 1 did well it should be really good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
7) Tactics Ogre (PSP): extremely good, probably the best srpg I've played. I did law route, so right at the beginning I followed orders to murder a town of my own people as a false flag to unite us against the invaders :pwn:. That and another later big story bit were genuinely surprising, it was great.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mbt posted:

persona 2 - innocent sin (psp - hard difficulty)
it's very easy and the encounter rate is a bit high, but its one of the greatest game stories ive ever experienced.

I started this and played for a few hours but I was like sleepwalking through most of it, you can just do the same combo spell every fight and never take more than 1 or 2 hp damage :negative: Wonder if there's a ps1 fan translation, if that'd be better or not

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
8) Dark Souls 2 SotFS version: I never actually finished Scholar, after beating normal DS2 a couple times, so good to finally do it I guess. It's just not a great game lol. Boss design and variety, animations, sound, world design, I think it's all worst in the series. Gargoyles were probably my favorite fight, which is sad. The one thing I really liked is how you could tackle the first four main story bosses in whatever order. Besides the janky gameplay, the lack of interconnectedness in the world is probably the biggest disappointment compared to 1. Bloodborne came out a week before Scholar (and only a year after vanilla DS2), which kinda blows my mind. Feel bad for the devs working on vanilla DS2 and scholar, thinking of them checking out what the guys in the office next door were working on then having to go back to finish making their sad game lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t think the interconnectedness is a big deal tbh and especially when they rightly let you warp everywhere in every game after 1 instead of schlepping it back through areas again and again

It's more like you literally turn a corner and now it's an entirely different weather/setting/biome, it could've been demons souls style split into stages for as coherent as it was. Also seeing parts of the world from other areas and then going to those parts is awesome and, I think, completely absent from 2 (though I don't remember if it was much in 3 either honestly). That's not a huge knock on its own but it's like, they didn't spend extra effort and time making the bosses super cool in exchange for half assing the world design and sound or whatever.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

is it OK if I finish the Ninja Gaiden trilogy first

It's time to play sekiro

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
First arrow spam gauntlet? Cool puzzle

Later magic arrow spam gauntlet? Absolute bullshit

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Trails in the sky fc: good jrpg that felt fairly old school but with tweaks to combat and some nice quality of life stuff, on to second chapter

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Parasite eve - really good, even better than I remember it as a kid. Wish the 2nd was more of the same, but I only played a little of it when it came out so I'll give it another shot eventually.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Triangle Strategy - good game, fairly slow start had me losing steam halfway through, but the final 1/3 or so gets epic. I went with saving the roselle ending and the last fight highlighted all the cool poo poo in the battle system really well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Trails in the sky SC: really good. Really like the battle system and materia. The formulaic bits (visiting each region in turn) dragged just a little after having just played FC, but that's the only minor complaint. Only 1000 more hours of trails to play :letsgo:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Omori: it was great, the final slideshow of Mari and sunny growing up got me good :negative:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Tokyo Mirage Sessions: talking to people about it before playing had my expectations low, so it ended up being a pleasant surprise, a goofy persona-lite that was light on overarching story but tried some slight tweaks to smt gameplay (upgrading weapons rather than personas, automatic chains of follow up attacks rather than press turns or all out attacks)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade chronicles: good game. I started it awhile ago and got bogged down around the time you find Melia and Riki and didn't play it for like 6 months, but pushing through that it starts picking up steam again. The last third or so was great, really made me want to play xenosaga again which I'll do after xenoblade 2 and 3.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

You're just gonna leave your friend dead?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Post Metal Gear July Update.

1) Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
2) KeyWe (2P Co-op)
3) Wizards and Warriors
4) Axelay (Easy, 2 continues)
5) Pocky and Rocky 2
6) Code Name: Viper
7) Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (JP and US)
8) Wind Waker Randomizer
9) Elden Ring
10) Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
11) La-Mulana 2 Randomizer
12) Tokimeki Memorial (Yuina Ending)
13) Hitman III (Max Mastery and Silent Assassin, Suit Only on all H3 destinations)
14) Wario World
15) Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Rebirth)
16) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
17) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (FOXHOUND rank)
18) Metal Gear Ghost Babel (Bat Rank lol) + VR Missions
19) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Tarantula Rank)
19.1) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Big Boss Rank)
19.2) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Falcon Rank)
19.3) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Hawk Rank)
20) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (100.0%)
21) Metal Gear Solid (Tarantula Rank)
21.1) Metal Gear Solid (Doberman Rank)
21.2) Metal Gear Solid (BIG BOSS Rank)
21.3) Metal Gear Solid (Leopard Rank)
22) Metal Gear (MSX/PS3) Code Name Deer
23) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Eagle Rank)
24) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
25) Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (Mammoth Rank)
25.1) Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (European Extreme Difficulty, Orca Rank)
26) Metal Gear 2 (Code Name Zebra)
27) Snake's Revenge
28) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Holy poo poo, nice job

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: very epic, spent 105 hours going through most of the optional stuff and getting all the random rare blades. Somehow they made it insanely anime and added gacha poo poo and the game still ended up being fantastic. Definitely like it better than 1 despite the bad bits, because the characters, environments, side quests, and gameplay were all a solid improvement. The only thing I'd say 1 hits better is the ending sequence in 1 is going to stick with me longer, the walking through the solar system was such a cool, unexpected visual thing, and the related plot stuff was really really good. On to Torna and then 3!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Torna the Golden Country: really cool sendoff to xenoblade 2, I can't quite believe how much effort and change they put into a dlc. The more serious tone fit really nicely and the tweaks to the combat were good. The sole bad thing I can say about it is the side quests were often more like xenoblade 1 than 2, and the part where they pause the main quest to make you do some of them to build up the community was rough cause I wanted to keep going with the story!! All together Xenoblade 2 and torna are incredibly good, happy I finally got to them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Blasphemous: really cool game, the art is incredibly good and it's probably only behind hollow knight and metroid dread as the best metroidvanias I've played in the last 5 years

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia: I ended up liking this more than awakening and fates. Even with the simpler classes and equipment and items, the basic gameplay was still great, having a bunch of small and medium battles rather than 20ish massive maps was nice, and the art and characters and plot were all an improvement.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade 3: combined all the best parts of 1 and 2 and improved on them, what a game

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lmao

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Final Fantasy (PSP): played this for the first time, this must've been mind blowing on nes. The psp version has mp instead of limited casts which was a bummer, but still, badass game.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - really good, even with the silly script change. I do like Tactics Ogre better, partly because I liked the plot and characters better and you get to use more units in battle, and partly because FFT having no progression gating on jobs/abilities means I can't resist grinding for a bit early and then for the last like 1/4 of the game having the same set jobs and no new abilities to learn. SRPGs rule, I'm glad they're getting a little more popular again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

You pretty much have to grind for calculator because they are so weak before you get a whole lot of jp, and they gain it so slowly due to their abysmal speed.

Did you play on iOS or something else?

I didn't end up using a calculator (arithmetician lol), I felt a little stretched thin on abilities with only 5 units already, though I kept steal on one and only used it a few times. Also geomancer ended up being one I doubled up on just cause it was really versatile + had the reaction ability.

I started it on vita awhile ago right after finishing tactics ogre but didn't get far, now I have a steam deck and am just using it to play through psp and psx games lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Suikoden: decent old janky jrpg, now I get to play 2 for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Suikodens pretty streamlined imo. Not really that janky

It was just little things like individual inventory management and identifying things and changing party members and runes and different party management things being on different levels of the castle, maybe janky isn't the right word though