Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring (Age of Stars)
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy (Liberty ending)

Looking forward to a couple NG+ runs of Triangle Strategy to see other paths. Extremely cool game that I'm really glad got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
4. Triangle Strategy
5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Played in between repeated playthroughs of Triangle Strategy to get all the endings. Kirby rules. Just a really fun, delightful game with surprisingly satisfying boss fights and all the bonkers endgame/postgame stuff you'd want from Kirby.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
4. Triangle Strategy (Update)

Finished two more times, currently doing the true ending route on NG++ hard mode. Still having a blast, the game's amazing and I strongly recommend it if you like tactics RPGs at all.

6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)

Thought this might be a nice chill-out game to play in between Triangle Strategy playthroughs. I finished it but I ended up pretty cold on it. It was fine enough but the story presentation was pretty bad and I found the combat sort of frustrating towards the end--it got old continually reviving my AI teammates because they refused to dodge anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

How long is a typical playthrough?

Took me about 50 hours for the first playthrough, probably about half the time for subsequent playthroughs because you can skip scenes you've already watched and just focus on the new scenes you get in different paths. My save file's at 90ish hours now about halfway into my fourth run. That number might also be a little inflated because of the time I spent getting every unit to max level and upgrading their weapons for the hell of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
4. Triangle Strategy (Update)

Finished the golden ending route on Hard. Had an absolutely great time. I really hope Team Asano makes another tactics RPG sometime, this was much better than Octopath in every way. This is definitely a game I'll replay again at some point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah unless you're immediately into its setting and exposition the demo chapters can be a real turn off but it definitely improves a lot from there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first battle on NG+ Hard is absolutely brutal, Trish is a monster

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Update: Triangle Strategy

All 4 endings on hard mode, all characters, crown on all mock battles, almost every upgrade (sorry geology girl)

Hell yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Favourite song was the Chvrches track during the end credits, favourite Low Roar song was Give Up.

The Chvrches credits track is real good, Don't Be So Serious and Asylums for the Feeling as my other two faves

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
4. Triangle Strategy
7. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Rolled credits on Sunbreak, had a great time. Monster Hunter Rise is already great, and Sunbreak takes the good parts and makes them better, while moving away from some of the parts of Rise that were kind of a drag (Rampages). I also had a surprisingly good time hanging out with the characters doing follower hunts, which are an unexpectedly fun feature.

Nowhere close to done, of course, because it's Monster Hunter. Got a lot more weapons to make, armor to craft, and monsters to stab.

tuo posted:

Did you play Dragonfall? IIRC you completed Returns and now Hong Kong. If you haven‘t played Dragonfall, please do as soon as you feel the urge to play a similar game again. A lot of gameplay mechanics from Returns were improved (basically similar to Hong Kong) but at the same time also has maybe the best storytelling of the three.

Yeah I liked Dragonfall the best of the three when I played them years ago. The story was really good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think Raiden's cool, but I do think he's ftw.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ArfJason posted:

have you killed the cop in your leaderboards? good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
4. Triangle Strategy

8. Live A Live (2022 Remake)
Exceptionally good game. It's easy to see why this is such a beloved classic. This is a JRPG short story anthology where the disconnected nature of the seven main characters' stories lets the designers do wildly different things with each of their chapters. Even though they're all built around the same core gameplay, they still manage to explore different story genres through their gameplay gimmicks and quirks, and it's really fun. It all comes together for a really cool ending, too.

Strongly recommend if you like JRPGs at all. This is a pretty special one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
4. Triangle Strategy

9. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade + INTERmission
This is a replay of Final Fantasy VII Remake and my first time playing the INTERmission DLC. FF7R was my personal game of the year in 2020, and turns out, I still love it. It's just a really fun game that does a fantastic job capturing Final Fantasy VII while also adding some new spice (and maybe something kinda dumb at the end but we'll see how that all shakes out). I still haven't played Hard mode but I think I'll give that a try next.

The DLC, meanwhile, had some really cool gameplay ideas that I hope to see come back in some form in Rebirth. The Synergy system between Yuffie and Sonon was really fun to play around with especially and there are a bunch of ways something like that could become part of the main battle system in the next one. Story-wise I'm less sold on it--it incorporates some really dumb things from Dirge of Cerberus and mostly seems to exist to give Yuffie a dark past, but again, this might all build to something better in the long run. Either way it's definitely worth a play if you have the game on PS5 or PC.

Anyway now I finally have time to start on Xenoblade 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Wtf. KH2 is one of the best games of all time.

KH2 owns extremely hard

it's the last KH I've played but I sort of want to try to get back into the series. It's so many games to play though...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kingdom Hearts Re:Tarded

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KH1 was maybe the first time I put in the effort to beat a video game superboss because I got really stubborn and absolutely had to beat Sephiroth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

13.1: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Ashen Wolves DLC, Hard

Now this was an actual hard mode. More interesting maps compared to the base game which is what you want out of a DLC I guess. The story is dumb but it shed some light on stuff I didn't see in azure moon and the new characters are likeable so it evens out. Not being able to one round murder enemies is probably a good warmup for maddening.

I wish base 3H's hard mode was more like the DLC's. One of my complaints about the game (which I otherwise really like) is that Hard mode is more like a Normal mode, and then Maddening actually earns its name, so there's a huge gap in difficulty between Hard and Maddening. Something in between would be perfect.

NG+ Maddening is almost there, at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Yeah the DLC really is nicely balanced for Hard. That said I was muttering "gently caress you" at times, such as the clown cars of golem reinforcements and the chest trial/error penalties in chapter 3 or the loads of bandit reinforcements as you cross blue squares in chapter 4. But, you know, in an appreciative way lol

I did preview the first couple of maps in ng+ maddening last week (I flipped a coin and it's going to be GD) and I actually think ng is going to be the sweet spot for me. However I do remember the first chapter in the second half being annoying in hard AM already and if that is maintained in the other routes I know I'm in for a rough one.

Yeah the first chapter of the second half on Maddening is loving atrocious. There are some cheese builds you can go for on either Claude or Dimitri (depending on your route) that will make it much easier but in general it's pretty nightmarish. On my NG+ Maddening GD run it was the hardest part by far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Addendum: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Golden Deer Maddening

Better house than blue lions for sure, though Claude is not really as interesting as I thought he was going to be. People seem to trash Lorenz Ignatz and Raphael online but they were all pretty good units for me? Leonie and Lysithea were godly but MVP by far though was recruited Petra, my god. No defiant wrath or vengeance yet she would dodge everything and still be liable to crit kill on the counterattack.

Black eagles maddening up next. I already have 300 hours in this game since September lmfao

I've never had a good Lorenz but Ignatz and Raphael were both extremely useful to me on Maddening. Raphael could become near-invincible to physical attacks so he was a very reliable choke point holder, and Ignatz's insane accuracy made him my most reliable killer early game and then he spent the late game as a sniper picking off dangerous squishies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the only thing I went even slightly out of my way for on Ignatz was making sure he mastered Brigand for the Death Blow skill, but after that I just made him a Sniper and left him there. Especially in late game Maddening when enemies are often too fast to double, the Sniper's volley move that always shoots twice was incredible and Ignatz never misses and has a high natural crit rate. Ignatz rules

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's exactly why I like Maddening. A lot of the mechanics and design decisions that make less sense on lower difficulties (or things that don't seem useful) suddenly make sense on Maddening. Ignatz's niche, for example. Gambits go from overpowered to necessary, and non-damage gambits also become really useful. Weapon arts also stay valuable past the early game on Maddening, too. It's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0

2. Elden Ring (Update)
Replayed this twice in the past couple months and yep, still loving rules.

4. Triangle Strategy
9. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade + INTERmission
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II campaign (2022)

11. Tactics Ogre Reborn
Still an absolute classic.

This sits in an interesting space between a remaster and a remake. It's a remaster of the PSP version of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but with such sweeping mechanical changes that it feels as different from the PSP version as the PSP version does from the SNES/PSX one. And by and large I really like the mechanical changes. They've stripped down character building to fewer, more impactful choices, added some nice QoL, improved classes that were previously too weak, and added a buff card system that creates an interesting momentum effect in combat.

I'll be playing this on and off for the next few months probably as I go through the massive postgame content in between playing other things. Really cool game, highly recommended to anyone who likes strategy RPGs.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 29, 2022