Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (PS5) - 01/18
2. Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch) - 11/02
3. The Last of Us Part 2 (PS5) - 13/02
4. Demons Souls Remake (PS5) - 03/03
5. Elden Ring (PS5) - 13/04
6. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS5) - 04/06
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS4) - 11/06
8. Batman: Arkham City (PS4) - 29/06
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 3DS - 14/07
10. Psychonauts 2 (PS4) - 17/07
11 Disco Elysium: The Final Cut (PC) - 23/07
12. Bowser's Fury (Switch) - 29/09
13. Prey (PS4) - 30/10
14. Luigi's Mansion 3 Switch - 07/11
15. Horizon: Zero Dawn PS4 - 21/11
16. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End PS5 - 02/12
17. Mario 64 (Switch) - 12/12

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh how the tables have turned, John

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

lmfao, banger start to the year

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CRT ftw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

BTW https://ggapp.io/ is a cool site to keep track of your games. I like it more than backloggery since it's easy to make custom lists like "Games Beat" etc. I've been using it the past few years since it was unsure whether this site would fall into the grasp of satan himself but I continue to use it because I like it

https://ggapp.io/synthy add me from here, i think

Gonna use this because this is the year I make serious moves on my backlog

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

following all my fellow imps too

https://ggapp.io/EmmyOK

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

I just use it to officially log the completed status of every game I beat, I don't bother with any of the other features like "currently playing" or "want to play".

The site is pretty sleek but it's also ever so slightly jank compared to something like Letterboxd which it's clearly emulating.

Agreed but apparently it's made and run by one guy so he's doing well imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If this number goes down a bit this year I’ll be happy. My full backlog across every platform condensed into one

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

That's also something I didn't bother with. I'm just using to for 2020 and onward. If I went back and tried to catalog the play status of every game I've ever played it would be a mess.

As such right now my 100% completed list is majority Picross games.

Same I basically just logged games I remember logging in the 2020 or 2021 thread that I can remember well enough to give an accurate rating and remember my thoughts on

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ikaruga is on my list to play this year

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

ikaruga is ftw but everyone hates it

lol cool

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like being able to turn on infinite lives and trying to improve number of deaths every run. Also doing that on easy mode first lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Batman totalling his armoured tank on a sapling after steamrolling multiple buildings

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There is definitely an intended route in Sekiro. Anyway OP that is normal so stay trucking! Being flying tackled and heaved off the cliff by chain ogre ftw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

thanks for the advice all! stocked up on pellets and diving back to the estate now, i took a bit of time beating up parts of ashina to feel more comfortable with wolf too. i platinum'd bloodborne, i can handle this*!!!

*might eat these words

Imo hirata is the second step as the final boss there is definitely intended to be faced after the first boss in the Ashina area. Perhaps you faced him already as you mentioned some generals but if not I'd complete him before returning to Hirata. He'll roar his name at you in a wonderful boss entry so that's how you know it's him lol. The skill he checks vs the skill check of the boss in Hirata imo make them an ascending challenge to face this way. But like others said there will often be multiple paths so fight along each as far as you feel comfortable and do your best!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending): I got this in May last year and liked the gameplay and story set-up quite a bit but I found it pretty hard and the inability to suspend runs made me eventually peter out playing it because I'd always think it wouldn't be worth starting a run when I only had time for a short session. Then the big 2.0 patch came out adding in the suspend feature so I played this over most of Christmas. I really liked the kind of bullet hell gameplay for a 3D shooter and the movement and combat felt super fluid and nice to manoeuvre around with. The upgrades that let you access new areas also for the most part would have a significant effect on combat too which is nice rather than just effectively being no different than picking up keys. I like all of the weapons mostly and thought the trait system ended up making different varities of weapons feel pretty different.

I thought the story was really good and really liked how embedded it was in the gameplay loop, especially between act 1 and 2. The ending was super ambiguous as was the additional stuff in the true ending which I thought was great. I was glad it ultimately didn't try and explain itself too much. It reminded me a lot of annihilation of someone coming into contact with a totally alien world and entity and it just completely eroding and stripping their sense of reality or maybe pushing it way past what humans are capable of understanding.

Pretty good.

e: also Seasons Don't fear the Reaper in biome 4 was amazing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I only played 2 and tried to gently caress Miranda but right on the cusp of it I disagreed with her in an argument with Jack and she wouldn’t forgive me. I eventually got max paragon points which lets you convince her to forgive you. But then in the loving section my Shepard just went to his bedroom and sadly pawed a picture of blue girl from 1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Little Demon posted:

lmfao sorry dude, I hosed the blue alien, and had to put her photo face down while I buttfucked miranda in 2, and yep, you guessed it, I'm likely to gently caress the blue alien in 3 again *need to put the photo back up like nothing happened*

I am going to become the Illusive Man

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I got direct hit by like 20 rockets because I stopped to calculate their trajectory.

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Heyyy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FF7 Remake. What the heck happened

You’re dealing with a sephiroth who knows he lost before so is making sure it doesn’t happen this time . It’s cool

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nutmeg posted:

really glad they took a chance and did something like that, however, they can only pull something like that once imho.

I think it is only the beginning. Now that Sephiroth killed the ghosts who insured destiny played out as intended the rest of the game is able to go off the rails so I think they'll be doing fun riffs on expectations, it's pretty exciting I think! I wonder if Aerith will die or if it'll be someone else this time. Or if they'll have her revive like the original game had in cut content

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nutmeg posted:

the freedom of what they can do now is great i agree, i just think if the ghosts were to come back later in the story to maybe "save the day" or some poo poo after giving the writes so much freedom to do whatever would suck. they served their purpose now go nuts ect ect.

Absolutely agreed for sure

Also love how hot Wedge is, like a young Charlie sheen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

b_d posted:

i will be very surprised if the ghosts don't come back almost immediately

That would be bizarre

I’m very excited for episode 2. Curious if we’ll get an open world. Still haven’t played XV did it do an open world?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Laurence is one of the few challenging bosses in that game and is a really fun mixup of the tutorial boss in a much better arena. His final phase gimmick punishing just rolling behind him is a cool idea but I don’t like the execution that much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mamkute posted:

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Normal, 98% Completion)

Is everything okay?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

And Gary Oldman plays Ignitus, the Elder Red Dragon. A phenomenal cast tbh.

Dishonoured just had an insanely good voice cast too for some reason

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mamkute posted:

5+ Batman: Arkham Asylum (100% Completion)

Crisis over

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy: I thought I'd like this a lot more than I did. Amazing presentation, incredible music, and really funny writing carried kind of frustrating gameplay. The basic levels were fine and chill to clear but pretty easy to beat first try. The challenges like getting good scores on the Constellation levels was horrendous to do. All the challenges in the game are centred on requiring super precise rolling but the entire game and controls are not designed for any kind of precision. So by the halfway point I was satisfied with just beating a levels' with minimum requirement instead of trying to get a score to impress the King of all Cosmos. Outside of the controls making the challenges super frustrating, it was surprisingly janky despite being a single primary concept. Lots of weird items that wouldn't pick even while you picked up larger objects, or just ledges being weirdly impassable when they shouldn't be. I think if the minimum requirements for beating levels were harder and the challenges weren't based around precision controlling I'd have liked it much more. As it was I beat most levels first try and after trying pretty hard to get all the crabs and swans for the first two constellations and finding it totally miserable I didn't bother retrying constellations no matter how few stars I got.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 11, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plebian Parasite posted:

The first Katamari is pretty cool but yea you're actively fighting against the physics, the second one completely fixes the problem and is way more polished in every other aspect as well, you should def play it if you can get your hands on it. Some of the challenges still require precision and speed but you'll have way less instances of 'Stuck between two objects I can't roll up and constantly losing objects for 30 seconds straight'.

Lol that always sucked. I'm not totally opposed to playing We Love Katamari if they release a REROLL of it too. Sounds like it fixes most of my major issues. I thought the game was at its best when I had a map where I had to figure out the best order to approach different areas and figure out where to go to keep my Katamari growing consistently and quickly. So I'd fail or squeak a win on a level but on a replay roll up super fast as I knew where to go at each size. I feel if it had built challenge more around that with tighter times rather than rolling up 200 crabs in awkward places that would work much better. Loved all the Sinatra inspired music at the end

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got the tude now posted:

Everything you don’t like is a real problem but it’s still one of my favorite games. The second has much better levels especially the constellations, the worst ones are kind of mean but I love it. There’s one where you can only pick up one cow and the cow patterned traffic cone right in front of the start counts.

They did this in 1 also with bears and cows. I kind of liked it as an idea but then I had two pretty big Katamari going and some invisible cow hiding behind a tree or something got sucked up and was ofc the smallest possible cow and I just didn't care to try a third time. I think it's a super charming game that's carried hard by presentation and anything beyond basic clears turned me off a lot. But 2 still sounds worth a shake. it was also quite satisfying how big the stuff you ended up rolling up was as well as getting revenge on a dog or fatso or car who knocked you around

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2: five stars

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

I hate the term nintendo hard so much cause its an excuse for very retarded bullshit in old games lol and most modern games that market themselves as "RELIVE THE DIFFICULTY OF OLD GAMES" do things a lot differently ie: super meat boy had very short levels so itd be like having checkpoints everywhere and infinite lives

yeah most modern games that are billed as difficult is a much more satisfying type of difficulty than finite lives and zero checkpoints or impossible to avoid deaths or totally arcane traps or progression flags

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Horizon Forbidden West - Platinum Trophy

I need to ally the first one at some point

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake: This was a replay so not gonna write up a review of it again. It has grown on me a lot though both in the time since I first played it and again now. I think compared to any other souls game it has its own more distinct identity, as much as Bloodborne does. Definitely see replays of this in the future which I don’t see for other souls games. 3 used to be my go to replayable soulsborne game but I think that will be ER now other than this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Quote is not edit :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah it’s great. I think it suffers from weak bosses and I think all of the final stage bosses are gimmicks. That said I think generally each subsequent souls game makes the previous bosses look weak by comparison. And vibes wise stuff like Storm Ruler is much more notable than the other games chump bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

I also like the effects of tendency but the mechanics of it are pretty bad. Can be infinitely lowered just by dying once in body form and only raised by killing three bosses. So if you kept body form after each boss and died you’d lose it all lol