Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
1st game beat of the year: Tyranny

I really liked the premise start to finish, and i stuck with my decisions til the end sided with the disfavored, pledge loyalty to kyros. At the end it seemed liked it really wanted you to go your own way and defy the glorious leader but im glad it didn't force that path on you in the end. the combat was dry as hell and i dont think it was a focus in development, the few times i died i was bummed out i had to spend more time fighting. playtime was 30 hours on the nose so it doesn't overstay its welcome at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
never played chrono trigger as well and am debating if i should play that or FF4 next, i think i remember hearing the version released on steam though is AIDS

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Max Payne. Insanely sick game. Great action, great atmosphere, just all around fantastic. Looking forward to starting 2 for the first time.

2 is fantastic, im jealous youre playing it for the 1st time. 3 is good but not as great as the previous 2 imho

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
2) Arkham knight. definitely worth the 3 bucks since i loved the past arkham games but i think this one is the weakest of the three. i really liked flying around gotham and didnt care for the batmobile that much. the combat in the car was fine but driving around was more annoying than fun. I liked the story for the most part. I appreciated that they didn't take away the moves you learned from the previous game metroid style, but then it adds more on top of it and coming into the game fresh i did feel overwhelmed with all the options available along with having to do certain things to hurt curtain goons in fights.

Also the game looks really really good, sorta amazed since it came out 6 years ago.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i still have to beat this one of these days. i think arkham city was just about the right amount for me, knight overdid it enough that i bounced off it.

i remember feeling that way when the game was being advertised, open world and having the car and all. I honesty enjoyed flying around looking for things to clear with my eyes as the game won't always give you waypoints. You can easily fly from one end of the map to the other in a short period of time so I was happy with how little down time there is going from spot to spot.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Same. I thought the game was fun

it owned, and I hope they make another someday

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
finished FF4. very chill game that doesn't ask alot out of you. controlling up to 5 charcters in battle was a little overwhelming at first but I got used to it.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

You’re dealing with a sephiroth who knows he lost before so is making sure it doesn’t happen this time . It’s cool

really glad they took a chance and did something like that, however, they can only pull something like that once imho.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I think it is only the beginning. Now that Sephiroth killed the ghosts who insured destiny played out as intended the rest of the game is able to go off the rails so I think they'll be doing fun riffs on expectations, it's pretty exciting I think! I wonder if Aerith will die or if it'll be someone else this time. Or if they'll have her revive like the original game had in cut content

the freedom of what they can do now is great i agree, i just think if the ghosts were to come back later in the story to maybe "save the day" or some poo poo after giving the writes so much freedom to do whatever would suck. they served their purpose now go nuts ect ect.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Gamedec: i was digging this game alot through the 1st act, then somewhere in the middle i played the game really hungover and i had trouble following the plot through the middle section and i never fully grasped what was going on after that even when i tried. there were 1 or 2 puzzles i had to look up the answers for because the game throws some changes at you for variety but i felt it didn't fully explain how to get to the solution and what the steps to get there really meant. as a game that advertises itself as an rpg that has a story that changes with you i do feel it accomplishes that by how it presents your choices in the end to whittle down the various endings you can choose from. would be a great $5 purchase if you're looking for a cyberpunk story, not $20 imho.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Chrono Trigger: i really wish i played this when i was a little young wee pup so I'd have more drive to replay this, i feel there is a lot of options on how the story plays out depending on your choices. Which is kinda mind blowing for a snes game. I loved the tech battle system and had a lot of fun experimenting with everyone's combos, and the game wasn't really that hard so it gave me room to just play around with stuff. The story and characters are great, and the music tracks are real ear worms. Glad I finally got around to this, I had a passing thought of maybe they could give this game a FF7R treatment since the world isn't so much big but theres more variety what with jumping through time periods and whatnot so it would possible be more technically feasible? Or they could leave it as it is and let it sit as the masterpiece it's already become.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

did you play the original? I think I'll replay it one of these days but I'm curious how much the final cut was different.

its definitely worth a replay, the added voice work is great and gives that game even more flavor. id recommend doing a quick peek at how to unlock the new political side quests tho, i went in blind and completely missed my opportunity to do it on my playthrough.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

Lmao that this is straight faced advice to read through the Before I Play Wiki so you know how to properly unlock the Bernie Ending.

i missed the NEW CONTENT and it was BULLSHIT

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Elden Ring: 118 hours and it was incredible start to finish, probably the best game i've ever played and I wonder where From will go from here. They don't need to put a new release for 6 or 7 years after this imho. Excited to start my NG+ run where I'll pick apart the story more which I'm having a blast taking notes and pieces parts together.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
smells like broke in here

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
voice of cards, the isle dragon roars: the pacing between menu transitions killed the enjoyment of this game for me. having to wait between cards getting shown on the screen to just select "yes" or "no" made shopping or going into the main menu a chore. even worse was when you hit your inventory limit and have to go through the menus just to discard something, 15 to 20 seconds of wasted time each time. the story and combat were alright but the last dungeon kept throwing the same mini boss at you over and over which led me to skipping random fights entirely just so i could get the game over with. if there are improvements in the 2nd game of this series ill never experience them cause i have zero interest. Shame!

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Teardown - a great puzzle game that lets you approach it in a multitude of ways. It never was too hard except for the days i played when i was really hungover and didnt have the patience to get all the objectives. sometimes you go back to the same map too often but layouts typically change in context to the ongoing stories. Highly recommend, glad i waited for 1.0 to drop before getting it.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: really great stories/characters and I always had fun piecing together the mysteries in the courtroom. sometimes i would get a little bored during the investigation phases and little things like the constant sound effects would get to me after awhile but not enough to take away how great the game is. the last case with gant escalated in a really interesting way, plus it dumps so much more evidence on you than the previous cases it tests you more as a good last challenge. very interested in what the 2nd game in the series will be like in terms of gameplay changes and elaborate stories. really glad i decided to try these games on a whim.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Ace Attorney Justice For All: fun ride start to finish. i feel they saved alot of the content for the last case not only in length but in its complexity that i was laughing at at some points, but also kind annoyed at it in others. (having to press on statements again after pressing on others to progress the narrative was unexpected and a spent too much time dicking around thinking i had to present evidence instead.) I'm excited to finish off the last game of the trilogy and I know I'm going to tackle the great ace attorney chronicles sometime in the future now.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

knight is a seriously great game, they had combat 100% locked down, the car stuff is fun and works well to add variety that an "open world" game needs to keep you going

the plot feels like a giant tribute to every big batman story of the 90s and 00s, taking parts of all of them

i really like knight the more i think about it after my playthrough. i did feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of combat options it gives you with quick attacks all tied to your gadgets, and the amount of specific counterattacks you need to do to different bad guy types but it felt like the next and last logical step the combat system could be pushed to.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

It was really difficult, ended up having a nuts first and second rounds somehow and was easy enough to land the plane after that.

excellent work, welcome to the bat-club

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Hitman trilogy, all base missions and DLC done at least twice on Professional. Probably the best stealth game I've ever played. Not done yet tho, beginning the Master difficulty run of every mission start to finish, then I'm going to knock out the sniper and SASO challenges. The ray tracing makes every map look amazing and it's a great game for it, worth the wait

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Kentucky Route Zero

Wow I did not care for this. I was gifted it years ago when all the episodes weren't out and kind of forgot about it till now. It was not worth the wait.

what didn't you like about it? there's a ton of references that were over my head but I enjoyed the story and considered it a pretty chill time.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Heh, knowing HR and legal, they probably insisted on it! Hopefully their credits are a smaller font size though, haha :D

lol

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Control is good but I found the combat especially the bonus challenges in the quarry got really annoying on hard mode. You get nearly wiped out by one shot from a guy who spawned in behind you at some point. I think one of the few games that would benefit from respawning hp instead of health pick ups dropped by enemies. A nightmare when you get nearly one shotted and your only option is to sprint at at the remaining bunch of enemies

there was a hard mode? felt the combat was kinda challenging even on the default settings which i liked but i can see where it would go too far when its even harder. enjoyed the story and set pieces alot more than the combat anyway tho

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Hitman Trilogy - At least 2 playthroughs of all missions on Professional, 1 run through on Master, 1 run of getting Sniper Assassin on each mission, 1 run getting SASO on each mission. All 20 elusive target arcade missions done as well. Total playtime: 166 hours

This will probably be the best stealth game for quite so time. It was so much fun learning the maps and discovering the little story lines contained within, and the variety of the locations keeps things fresh. I really enjoyed playing on master difficulty where you have to live with your mistakes and the tension builds as you deal with gunfights or running away to try to get a new outfit to get people off your tail. The amount of things you unlock to take into missions adds a lot of different playstyles and tactics you can consider before jumping in the games various game modes. I did like my challenge runs getting the Sniper, Suit Only, and SASO where not only do you have to rethink your load out but you really learn how many different paths there are on the maps to finish your objective. I was constantly surprised on my SASO run where I never felt locked out of finishing the mission, no point where I thought I was totally hosed and had to restart. The elusive target arcade is a fun addition to the game too, and my favorite ones where were you go in with no equipment and you have to find stuff in the field to help take out your target, sorta metal gear solid style.

I'm excited for IOIs bond game now more than ever. If it becomes just a reskin of Hitman's core gameplay loop I'd have no problem with that. Their level design is top notch and all I want are fresh maps to explore and pick apart, and I believe it'll be worth the wait.

Summer of Hitman - Complete :fyadride:

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Sifu , normal and master mode - A solid combat system in a tight little rougelike, and im not really a fan of rougelikes to begin with. Definitely worth a playthrough whenever this goes on sale.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
The looker - legit funny and i laughed out loud a few times. probably would have been funnier if i ever played the witness but as a simple himbo im not big into puzzle games

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
cruelty squad - really fun and doesn't overstay its welcome. the music can become grating after a certain point but i did lol like a dumb baby start to finish.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Chill Callahan posted:

neon white - all ace and one dev medal, :dukedog: got the bad ending cause i didn't bother with any of the gifts/coins or the rush thing at the end. game was fun, good progression to the level difficulty taht reminded me of lovely planet with some extra mechanics. fun to grind the levels and get into a flow. story was embarrassing like people mentioned but i expected something worse from the devs of donut county

im on the back half of the game right now and i feel the cringe is mostly in the 1st half of the game, especially when yellow dies. i seriously wooted and said thank god irl when that happened. i like the premise of the game but the writing really brings it down

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Chill Callahan posted:

I skipped everything after the first cutscene

its for the best

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Neon White (all gifts, plat'ed every level 100%) - the gameplay of this is really great. i like when games make leaderboards a part of your progression/skill. i had a lot of fun speedrunning a bit faster and faster to beat peoples times. the story is bland and the writing should be considered suicide ideation.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Betrayal at Club Low - a really fun dice rolling game where you have to rescue a guy from a night club. It's a little custom d&d campaign that's definitely worth the 8 bucks it costs. It has 11 endings so I'll go back and replay it sometime in the future with the unlocked difficulty modifiers. My 1st playthrough took about 3 1/2 hrs and it does want you to do multiple playthrough so I'm sure you can blow through it in an hour or so with a gameplan in mind.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
ive always been sorta interested in origins as i love the arkham trilogy but ive also heard its pretty fail

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
ty garlic bread

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
doing burnouts in the batmobile to fill an area with smoke then shooting out of it to beat up thugs in the fog ftw

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Lost Judgement: bought this on a whim since it came to PC and I'm so glad I did. at first i didnt vibe with the combat system but that was really early on, and that feeling morphed into it being one of the most fun systems I've played in recent memory. I've only played yakuza 0, 6, and like a dragon so I've only dabbled in the series but this one had one of the best stories I've experienced in recent memory for games. I really got into it start to finish and maybe I'll play the 1st one sometime hoping it'll have that same quality but I went straight to lost judgement figuring gameplay would be more refined. I did all of the school stories and missed out on 4 or 5 sidequests but my playtime hit 80 hours so I'm definitely satisfied paying full price for it. i eagerly await the next installment.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Resident Evil 3 Remake: i heard this game was different compared to RE2remake but i didn't expect it to be such an action focus turd. maybe capcom wanted to take a gamble and see how this would play out in their RE Engine, or maybe they didn't want to work as hard after making something as stellar as 2remake. the added dodge rolls were kinda janky in my playthrough and dealing with the nemisis was annoying any time he showed up, especially at the beginning. so many deaths where i was stun locked from one attack into another was really annoying as well. carlos' super punch was retarded and made me laugh when i saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Bayonetta: i had difficulty getting into this start to finish. i like fast paced combat but i had camera issues in my full playthrough and alot of enemy attacks happen so fast it's hard to see their telegraphs which means taking extra hits alot. throw that ontop of being ranked for every fight i felt like a noob rear end bitch most of the time. especially in fights where witch time doesn't activate on a successful dodge, which is just random from what i can tell. also there is a dodge function that helps you build combos that i didn't know existed until i saw it in passing written out online which i had trouble pulling off since there's no real training arena to test out moves except for in one shop menu. i never had enough money to purchase even one accessory from the shop and i wonder if that dodge/combo function is needed to have enough to buy some.

maybe this game is designed to be replayed for getting better rankings and what not, and if i had more fun with it i'd give it a shot but instead i'll move on.