Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Devil May Cry 2

Maybe the worst game I've ever played. There's too many problems to mention but the major ones are that enemies have no AI, guns are OP, Dante is boring, stinger is useless, and the story makes no sense and is dumb. I knew it was gonna be worse than DMC1 but I had no idea it was this awful. At least I'll probably appreciate DMC3 a lot more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Devil May Cry 3 (Dante and Vergil, Normal and Hard) - One of the best action games I've ever played and a huge turnaround from DMC2. All the weapons and styles are fun to mix and match, the three fights against Vergil are all-time greats, the cutscenes are awesome, and it's really challenging. I might revisit it later on for DMD and Very Hard difficulty, but for now I'm moving onto DMC4. If I had played this when it originally came out it probably wouldn't have left my PS2 for a year.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

Nice...which port did you play?

The HD collection port for PS4. I read that the original game's baseline difficulty is this version's Hard difficulty which is pretty wild. A bunch of people must have hit a brick wall with Cerberus back then.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante and Vergil, Normal and Legendary Dark Knight)

All the mechanical improvements from 3 are great and I really like Nero. Grab attacks and exceed/max-act give the combat a different rhythm that I prefer to all the style and weapon switching with Dante. But compared to DMC3, the bosses and overall structure aren't nearly as good. Credo is the best boss by far, but the rest are kinda lackluster. I got the impression they must have run out of time and/or money early on which is why Nero doesn't get a full campaign to himself and so many levels and bosses get recycled. It still plays great though, and I really like the concentration system they added for Vergil. Going through bloody palace with him is super fun.

I'm skipping the Donte remake so DMC5 is up next. Seems like it's the best game in the series so I'm excited.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Devil May Cry 5

(Nero/V/Dante and Vergil, Normal, Son of Sparda, DMD)

God tier game. The best of the series. The level of complexity is ridiculous. I'm obsessed with this game but still feel like I barely scratched the surface with Dante and Vergil. If for some reason a sequel doesn't happen this is a perfect note to end the series on. Stuff gets incorporated from every DMC game and the anime. Probably tops Bayonetta as my all-time favorite character action game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Nutmeg posted:

ive always been sorta interested in origins as i love the arkham trilogy but ive also heard its pretty fail

It's okay. Basically just more of the same formula with maybe one or two new enemy types. I played it before Knight came out and was definitely getting Arkham fatigue by the end

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

mycophobia posted:

20. Castlevania: Bloodlines (1CC, Normal, Eric Lecarde)

time to go for no death

I just started this after replaying Super Castlevania IV. It's wild that there's half-eaten corpses and stuff scattered across the first level. Feels like it's gonna be up there with Metal Gear Ghost Babel as a gaiden game that's just as good as the mainline stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Castlevania Chronicles (Original and Arrange modes)

Original mode was hard as gently caress. I watched some videos on the Sharp X68000 and it's cool that all the different soundtrack arrangements were carried over to the PSX. Arrange mode was way more forgiving, and the acid techno and rave versions of classic Castlevania songs works better than I would have thought. The redesign for Simon is neat and fits in better with the IGA games' aesthetic.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Frenz posted:

Nice. I tried the second loop of original but can't get past the part where you're riding up the waterfall. The fishmen shoot too fast

I'm not even gonna attempt second loop. Original mode was ridiculous and took forever. I haven't played any of the NES games in ages, but I feel like the Sharp version is the hardest of the classic games just in terms of its baseline difficulty. I will definitely revisit arrange mode in the future though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (100%)

A really nice balance between the hard classic games and the IGA games with all the alternate paths and bosses. The cutscenes were cool and the soundtrack is great. The alternate stage 5 music has been stuck in my head since I beat it. It was fun beating these classic Castlevania games I missed out on, but I'm glad to replay Symphony next. Some of the older games have platforming gimmicks that didn't age well imo.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

It's been almost 10 years since the last time I played this so I'd forgotten a few details. Still a masterpiece and has aged better than probably any PSX game. Coming off some of these classic Castlevania games it's too easy but that's a small quibble. I played the version bundled with Rondo that has a new translation and voice acting. A lot of it works better, but I missed Harry Mason Dracula and some of the corny lines from the original version.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Dishonored 1 CGI trailer is like the only instance where everything you see can be done in-game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

I really liked the card system, but this game required way too much grinding. You can pretty much breeze through 90% of the game aside for one or two bosses, but the endgame has wild difficulty spikes like the battle arena and Dracula's second form. To deal with those you gotta grind forever for card drops and XP, and it's just a slog. I can see why they wanted to readjust the difficulty after Symphony, but they should have made the difficulty more gradual than a huge spike at the very end of the game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
e: I'm an idiot and mixed this up with the gaming goals thread

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yakuza 3 (100%)

The Okinawa chapters where Kiryu is helping out kids at the orphanage are great, and it's nice to have some new scenery. Other than that, this was pretty rough since it's the oldest game in the series I've played. Most of the minigames were janky, and this had the most brutal completion list so far by a wide margin. Hopefully this one gets the Kiwami treatment someday.