Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grando is prime av material. Might even rename myself I am GRANDO!. Is that a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

WHAAAAAT?

New year, new me. Thanks, Mandrake.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So did Crankshaft have covid appear in the strip and break the timeline, or is it that Funky Winkerbean is set in 2041?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the idea that changes in Crankshaft reverberate down the timestream into Funky Winkerbean whenever Batuik forgets that he did something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve just realized how stylized Curtis’ hat has become. It’s in the same category as the Lockhorns’ feet now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Give her the Aldo Kelrast treatment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has Mary Worth ever killed off a regular character before? I feel like Wilbur has been there since the 70s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Aldo was introduced specifically for that storyline.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Wasp's nest, eh. I'll allow it.

Now, about every 4 months Mary Worth does something that gets this thread going like nothing else, which is really strange because Mary Worth is the paragon of comic strip blandness. The last ones I remember are the extended "Aren't dogs great?" conversation and the karaoke one. There was one that was a bit spicier before that but I can't remember now what it was.

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

Wasn’t there a kid who could see ghosts or angels or something? I think she was involved in a baking competition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kennel posted:

Oh yeah, the child was terrified of a doctor with evil aura or something.

Did the child end up being correct?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr. Jeff is very blasé about criminal negligence killing somebody, but jeez, Mary, like you’ve never needed a little horse to get through the day?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

They're right but you gotta get it done while the iron is hot. A week from now no one is going to buy that shirt.

Probably.

I’m starting to believe there’s a chance the shipwrecked Castaway desert island Wilbur story might actually happen. Then he’d be big again a year later when that story comes around and he’s rescued.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why have I been on the edge of my seat for each day's Mary Worth post for days in a row now? I know in my heart that Wilbur is unlikely to be dead, but I have to know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So Wilbur’s just going to be rescued and that’s that? Not even an interval on a desert island first? That’s a huge let-down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those are pretty clever. The charge against the Joseph Miller jestbook is that the jokes are worn out from overuse, not that they’re weak.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least we get a weird desert island arc with Wilbur. That’s more than I thought we’d get.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just leave him on that island until 2023.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Tomorrow will be the last of the fanart and then I'll start over from the beginning.

Jucika Fanart

First two are charming, last one is outstanding. The art, the layout, the joke, the expressions, the wholesome cute-lewd. Some real Pusztai energy!

Tossing in two more that feature full frontal nudity but have actual jokes. There's a few more by this same artist though I think these are the most clever of them.

NSFW Jucika Fancomic 1 Great joke!
NSFW Jucika Fancomic 2

The zipatone on that first nsfw one really anchors it in that 60s era.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Moy get told that she couldn’t kill Wilbur and had to immediately restore the status quo? There was so much potential in that story, all snuffed in three days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda getting 90s Vertigo vibes from that Phantom, with the sleazeball villain and violence and slightly grimy artwork.

Y'know, a while ago we talked about what we'd do if we were the comics syndicate, and I feel like rebooting Defenders of the Earth in a British Invasion style across three individual daily strips would be a worthwhile project.

Crisis on King Features. I’d want Mary Worth and Mark Trail in on it too, classic and modern versions. Apt 3G sacrifice themselves to save the multiverse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So Dustin is just openly about the dad now?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has the Shaturday Morning Cartoon youtube series ever been mentioned here? It has a horrible title, but is of relevance to the thread. It’s a series from The Found Footage Festival where they watch old Saturday-morning cartoons. They frequently have Caitlin McGurk on as a guest—she’s an archivist and faculty member at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum at Ohio State University, which is the premiere US archive of newspaper comic strips.

She often brings archival materials of interest. Here’s an episode with the Garfield Halloween Special, with the Garfield parts removed because of a copyright strike from Jim Davis. At about 19 minutes in, Caitlin McGurk shares archival photos of weird and surreal stuff from the Ireland archives. Some of it is Garfield-specific, like Jim Davis wearing a ponytail, but much is not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZc1by7DxAo

The Garfield poo poo really shows how nakedly commercial the whole thing has been since the start.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s also The Man Who Hated Laughter, a 70s primetime special featuring all the King Features syndicate characters in a mash-up story. If you’ve ever wanted to see Mandrake and the Phantom rescue Beetle Bailey, this is for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiIpwYfYqI

There’s some more excellent archival stuff from the Ireland museum in this one as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely we’re not getting a “Toby is seduced by a student” story in Mary Worth now? The Wilbur fakeouts have got me so jangled that I don’t what a realistic expectation is any more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I appreciate the directness from Billingsley in that one. Syndicate stuff is usually a bit more anodyne.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days May 7, 1959

Is the pill speed?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I hope this story develops by having that student run into Wilbur, who coaches him into becoming a pathetic, needy wiener. Or Ian is one of his other professors and during office hours he unknowingly helps the kid hit on his own wife.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Hey, yeah, whatever did happen with those murder hornets?

Disappeared about the same time as Super Frog, I believe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uh, I don’t know about that one. Were the syndicates really hands-off in 2003?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Wait nine months to a year

Was that guy who got blown up in the Iraq occupation simulator pre-timeskip? Funky might actually take place in our future, so they’ll reminisce about what they did back during the invasion of Ukraine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also Toby’s problems could be solved entirely by a single conversation, two conversations, tops. Did she even try to tell that nosy faculty member that the student just approaches her and starts talking about art?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s so strange to imagine a time when teaching was seen as a stable and comfortable career.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m really struck by how the old guy in Funky Winkerbean is just straight-up narrating every aspect of the time travel story almost before it happens and not being surprised or struck by anything at all. It’s like he’s in a hurry to wrap it all up as fast as possible.

“Hey, this bench looks new. I’ve gone back in time.”

“Oh look, that tv just happened to give me the exact date.”

“My younger self is in there and perhaps I will cause a paradox if I talk to him.”

How old is Crankshaft in 1980? I always get confused over whether Crankshaft is set in our past or if Funky is set in our future.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Funky OH OF COURSE IT COMES BACK TO HER

Did they have stranger danger education in 1982? I feel like we’re getting real close to him terrifying his former friends because he’s a strange old man trying to enter a high school.

This whole story reminds me of a weird memory I have from elementary school of an old man trying to force his way into our class to tell something to a friend of mine, but our teacher blocked the door and told him to leave, and eventually he did. At lunch we deduced that it was my friend’s future self come back to warn him, and we all agreed that is was important for him to remember that it didn’t work so that he can try a different strategy when he gets to that point on his own timeline. In retrospect, the whole thing seems very weird and disturbing, but it was probably some embarrassing family situation that my friend didn’t want to think about and would rather use fantasy to escape from like all us losers did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Get out of this town before it sucks your life away! Look at what it did to me!”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

And they say newspaper comics can no longer speak to the reality of daily life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jeff Keane seems like a cool guy. He was interviewed this week by the Found Footage Festival (it’s at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEEHYizSXs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bil was a cool guy as well. I think he gave consent to the existential family circus or whatever it was back in the 00s as well, a kind of pre-Garfield Without Garfield blessed by the creator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder which of these strips convinced the cia that Boyce was the man to design the Keypad Kid for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the thing on the fork? A lemon?