Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Bloop posted:

Love these threads

Seconding this. The comic strips threads are what has kept me coming back to SA year after year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

riderchop@Athena:/mnt/c/Users/Ariel$ bash ck.sh
On The Fastrack

I just keep different stickers on my work laptop vs my personal laptop, but you do you Deathany from On the Fastrack

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Murdstone posted:

I just remembered, if I were in charge of Comics Kingdom I'd bring back a rebooted Apartment 3-G. I think a good writer and artist could do a lot with a strip about three young women sharing an apartment in NYC.

The curse of the monkey's paw is that Stephanie McMillan gets Apartment 3-G.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In case you weren't following the Twitter thread, Joolz keeps going.

https://twitter.com/julesrivera/status/1483205704479436801

https://twitter.com/julesrivera/status/1483219464594214915

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: The burglar (40/1936)

That's what they get for using genuine Rohm revolvers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428991

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (August 8-10, 1918)

Does anybody get this? This is my second time reading it, and I can't make heads or tails of what's going on. Is Vernon McNutt about to get shot?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Who used the monkey's paw to wish that Ed would cram it up his rear end?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I can see why like, predators that would need surgical intervention to digest plants are not doing that, but Coney should be encouraged to eat plants as much as possible. It's not like you can't satisfy chasing and catching instincts without murder, that's literally what cat toys are.

It's possible that Coney is an obligate carnivore -- she can't get the nutrients she needs without a li'l murder

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

gently caress 'em up, ChaCha!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

This is, unsurprisingly, entirely wrong. The most important factor in company security is the principle of least privilege. An employee should only have access to the data and systems they need to be able to access in order to do their job. The IT guy probably doesn't need access to customer data, and if I recall correctly Dethany doesn't even work there any more so she only needs access to the exit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

dismas posted:

have not eaten, still need to clean all the things the baby needs to live

Oh god dammit I need to wash bottles too. Good call

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

DMorbid posted:

This also appears to be the original Spa layout because there are no safety barriers and the corner at the end of the Kemmel straight is a lefthander instead of a right.

More like the Kennel straight.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Rene's foot pictures amaze me. I wonder if that's AOC's foot in panel 1.

Comic Strips 2022: AOC Foot Fetish Funnies

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kennel posted:

It's the worst character design I've seen in a commercial studio product.

I see we've forgotten about The Croods

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

She was clearly into the thrill of maybe getting caught, but okay.

The thrill of maybe getting caught is different from knowing that several people are definitely watching you

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

My local grocery store stopped carrying PG Tips; I've had to resort to the little 40-count boxes on Amazon.

Just as well. Barry's is the superior cuppa.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Huxley posted:

There are two types of driving dads: road trip adventurers and max-efficiency death-marchers.

I try very hard to be the first but it's easy to slip into the max-efficiency death-marcher frame of mind. For any naturally max-efficiency dads (or dads at heat) out there, it helps to plan a rough route, look up interesting sites near that route, and then every day pick a handful of sites you want to see. It's okay if it's getting late in the day and you skip such and such waterfall or lighthouse, but make an effort to see at least one interesting thing before lunch and one interesting thing after lunch.

DO: plan short days. Just because you can drive 10 hours at a time while listening to a good audio book doesn't mean that will be fun for everyone else.
DON'T: plan a several day max-length route with a hard deadline at the end. My wife and I drove past a lot of Sweden because I wildly underestimated how long it would take to drive and we didn't have enough buffer time at the end.
DO: consider that everybody has to eat and go to the bathroom, and that might not happen on your schedule. Carry snacks and maybe even piddle packs.
DON'T: plan too far ahead. If you have a hotel booked, you'll kill yourself to get there. If possible, pick a rough goal (e.g. "I will get to San Luis Obispo tonight"). Then, around mid afternoon, judge how likely that is and find a hotel near where you're _actually_ going to wind up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This is unironically me and my wife. She asks me to remind her of things, and I turn right around and ask google assistant to remind me to remind her.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Is the "newborn display showroom" even a real thing anymore? I admit I have no idea how these things are actually done, but all the new dads standing together at the big window just seems like it should be one of those things that hasn't actually existed since Eisenhower was president, even if TV comedies are still keeping the idea alive.

It's a nursery. I don't think newborns are whisked away to them immediately any more (hospitals strive to be "baby friendly", which means promoting skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding), but they exist. When my wife was recovering from her c-section, we had the option to put our child in the nursery. We didn't mainly because we forgot, but also because we had a private room and I was there with them 24/7

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I genuinely enjoy Kevin and Kell and the discussion about its hellworld minutiae. What's your problem?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Okay, most of the time I can get what they're going for but this one is just passing me by.

Ophelia is, I think, a trans turtle. So obviously her boyfriend (?) George needs two factor authentication to get inside her shell.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 15, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

They're still just not-as-good cabbage though. They're fine, but cabbage is literally the same thing but better.

We can play "which Brassica oleracea is best?" all day, but you'll never top properly prepared collard greens.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

drat scab rainclouds

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Something like this maybe?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Is this the same as yesterday's? Is there a new one?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yours glows? Mine just makes a loud humming sound

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Hm. It occurs to me this is one of the few hustles that actually requires Modesty be in her twenties. Usually she's just a dumb tourist, which doesn't necessarily track with a certain age.

Especially in the early stories, she's canonically quite young.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"Blank books", a completely normal and hinged thing to call a notebook.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Except if they have a proper hardcover book binding, they're usually called "blank books" instead of "notebooks". Google or Amazon will back me up here, even if Wikipedia doesn't. What the wiki article is talking about, where the pages are left blank as a punchline, haven't ever really been a common enough thing to have their own name. And they certainly wouldn't all be in their own section at a bookstore.

I'm sorry to put more thought into Dustin than the author does, but that's clearly a Moleskine notebook or similar. You're saying that Moleskine, noted manufacturer of "Notebooks, diaries, journals and planners" secretly makes "blank books"?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

...It's a line drawing of a book. Where on Earth are you getting a specific brand name from?

The little strappy dealy. It's not exactly on model, but it looks about right if the artist was drawing a Moleskine from a written description.

I believe you that blank books are a thing. I've been buying them for years and I've never heard that term before.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Thranguy posted:

I'll take 'Daddy' in the pool.

Comic Strips 2022: I'll take 'Daddy' in the pool.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Docks

Retail

Popcom

I haven't been able to see these for a few days. I think there's a problem with imagepile.com; it looks like Firefox is having trouble connecting to their servers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

goatface posted:

As someone looking at them using firefox right now, that might be a local problem.

Weird. It's the same across two computers from two different locations, and also in Chrome. I'll try hopping on a VPN.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Totally. Her life was screwed because of a weird fae law/biology/geas thing she was unequipped to handle.

Good Listener posted:

But also Mildred rules

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Also what the gently caress is up with Curtis. I have no memory of this character, so it seems like this is a bizarre pivot into in-universe magic???

Gunk shows up every now and then to be weird and do something magical. He's been a character at least as long as I can remember.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Drakyn posted:

Gentlefolk, there appears to be a missing third panel here if you wouldn't mind doing the needful.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Arbetor posted:

So are we done with the "Reading is Maaaagic" little girl and the Precious Moment hat-elves and the philosophical penguins, or are we going back to those after a quick "Architect you have never heard of has a tiny penis" aside?

Maybe it's just me having lived in Chicago, but Mies van der Rohe basically defined the glass and steel skyscraper. He's gotta be well endowed

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is "management temp assignment" a thing?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I like how Wilbur starts at Tobias Funke and then slides into Paul Giamatti via Jason Alexander, and finally ends in minor New Jersey politician indicted for fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Hey, thank you for translating and posting these. I've always enjoyed Dharma, and I'd be into the Korean baseball comic!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 26, 2022