Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This has been the best Blueberry story so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Y'know I'm too lazy to do edits but as an effort poster elsewhere I know how silence feels so I'm going to resolve to comment more about strips I like.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasp's nest, eh. I'll allow it.

Now, about every 4 months Mary Worth does something that gets this thread going like nothing else, which is really strange because Mary Worth is the paragon of comic strip blandness. The last ones I remember are the extended "Aren't dogs great?" conversation and the karaoke one. There was one that was a bit spicier before that but I can't remember now what it was.

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"To dark to tell that it was velvet" also doesn't work when there's light from a y'know... fire.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"Dustin doesn't want to work nights" is 100% that he's shiftless, unmotivated, and unwilling to pound the pavement and pull himself up by the bootstraps.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat I thought he was gonna hit someone with a wasp's nest but gawain getting stung up is pretty funny too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wilbur is going to remain in the strip as a ghost.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Colourist!!!! :argh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wilbur dies and comes back as a ghost and is only able to watch helplessly as right after the funeral estelle gets knocked up by that younger guy from before and they get married and find perfect happiness

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Those are pretty funny actually

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok in my head canon now Wilbur ends up doing the Robinson Crusoe thing, except its reversed in that he gets his life saved by a black family and he's decides that he needs to play the Friday role, but it's as if Mr. Bean were trying to be the faithful servant and the entire time the black family is just "dude this is weird, you can go home this isn't a remote island it's just Florida."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah jucika rocks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Safety Dance posted:

Does anybody get this? This is my second time reading it, and I can't make heads or tails of what's going on. Is Vernon McNutt about to get shot?

I think it's "ironic punishments division" for "oh so you think it's funny to rock a boat full of kids? well how about you rock the boat all day?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:kimchi: the true magic was in Oom's heart all along

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drimble Wedge posted:

This is literally his hometown. Has he never been anywhere except home and school?

Canadian Regionalism strikes again: this strip is set in the GTA which is a continuous rats nest full of gently caress on the roads. You can slide onto a highway and two exits over be in literally a different town which you'd never have any reason to go to in your life ever to visit for any reason, and it's completely full of one-way streets and the on-ramp going back the other direction for some reason isn't anywhere near the exit you took.

People like to poo poo on this strip for many good reasons but this is actually painfully plausible to the point where it could serve as a pointed critique of city planning in the GTA (it's not, though).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are a lot of valid criticisms of FOOB but one thing that I think slips by some readers is that the slice of life stuff is often extremely geographically/culturally specific in a way that follows certain trends in Canadian literature from that era. In the 60s and 70s you had women like (now Nobel Laureate) Alice Munro or Margaret Lawrence getting international acclaim for writing stories that interrogate extremely small subdivisions of Canadian society as a way of resisting (among other things) homogeneous, usually masculine, nationalist narratives. I.e. "This is the story of all Canadians" -- "Well here's a very specific realist story about a young woman's experience in the northern half of Huron county, suggesting that our big, sparsely populated country has no single unifying story."

Margaret Lawrence is an easy example for how specific this can get: she set most of her stories in and around a fictitious town that's a transparent cipher for a real one - Neepawa, Manitoba. She frequently returns to a particular house as a setting, and that's a specific house - like it's not a "this could be any house in any small town" (though a reader can make that connection) but the idiosyncracies of her fictitious house are literally a house that you can go visit.

So what I see (basing this more on my knowledge of Canadian literature and what I read in the thread, not on interviews with her or any specific FOOB research) is that in the 70s and 80s when e.g. Margaret Atwood was a fashionable white Canadian feminist putting the spotlight on women's experiences, Lynn Johnston took the opportunity to make a general, watered down daily comic strip riffing on the same theme for Very Concerned Middle Class White Suburban Moms.

The point is that when there's something like this in FOOB, take a moment to remind yourself that this isn't necessarily an "everymom, everykid" characterization situation - this style of writing is about capturing idioyncratic, hyper-local things, and it's not usually trying to generalize them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There also appears to the implied motion of Tiff's head turning to her right

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

aren't coconuts that are still growing on trees gigantic and green? Like the rough brown thing that we see in the store for the dried coconut has had like 6 inches of husk removed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mary Worth could do a month of two old people talking to each other about dogs but it couldn't drag more than four days out of a plot that is at the core of the longest-printed novel in the English literary canon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For all of the translators:

It's ok if a comic descends into nonsense in translation. That's actually interesting in itself. Just explain what the joke is supposed to be if this happens. I for one will embrace it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dr_samuel_johnson_reaction.png

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The facial expressions in the last two panels of Val are just masterpieces.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

This one needs some explanation. Foxes, in Japanese mythology, are generally-malevolent trickster spirits with, among other things, the ability to possess people. Also, a fox's favorite food is fried tofu (the surest way to expose a fox is to let it smell fried tofu, so it loses its concentration and lets its tail show), and as a result noodles with fried tofu as a topping are called "fox-style noodles". So, today's comic is: Q-Rais sees what he thinks is an ordinary bowl of noodles, then notices it's topped with fried tofu and making fox sounds, and so realizes it's not an ordinary bowl of noodles, but is rather fox noodles, in this case not only just fox-style noodles, but literally noodles possessed by a fox.

yessss this is the kind of untranslatable nonsense that I crave

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

human
soul
tem-
pura

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Is this some kind of Phalaris gag? \

e. there wer emore posts in the thread I hadn't seen yet. Lovely nonsense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hostile V posted:

I know it's a joke but also you can...really just tell the difference without eating the entire thing...yeah. Wups on me I guess.

No he shaves with whipping cream that's why mom says "wasn't mean to be eaten" instead of "soap"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

:haw:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They drank a bottle of mad dog 2020 and then they cut their arms with a big knife and bled into a bucket

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Painful self-critique (06/1937)

Holy poo poo Gothic cursive is terrible. I was thinking to myself "they didn't need to overwrite 'nein' with the English translation" and then I realized that the squiggly noise sounds coming out of Vater's mouth are actually the word "nein"!!!

cute comic though :3:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 19-20, 1938)

One of my favourite things about the overall design of this strip is that there are all of these "kingdoms" and places that it visits but invariably it looks as if these "kings" or whatever are just some weirdos dicking around in their back yards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slammy posted:

Dogbert December 20, 1966

:hmmyes:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

I got that far on my own, but what's the joke? Where's the alfalfa? There's no pun if it's just replacing one word with another word with no context and for no reason.

He's on top of the bales which are presumably alfalfa, a common animal feed. There's nothing else. It's poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the last page or so, Blueberry, Prince Val, and Sally Forth have all been extremely good.

Im pretty sure that I'm being doxxed in that Sally Forth, actually.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dog anus

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

No one saw this one coming!

People have been making fun of this strip but credit where credit's due the artist did basically a perfect drawing of that lady

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Technowolf posted:

Did you just forget or did it not update yet?

ssh

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 18-19, 1990)

Calvin. And Hobbes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

you people think about Dustin even more than its creators do

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neito posted:

Weird thing to get hung up on, but why would a kid this age have a Larry Bird action figure casually? I mean, I guess their dad could've been a Celtics fan in the 80s, but they'd treat that as collectable then, they wouldn't just casually have it out....

I'm 99% sure that Wallace isn't a present-day strip.

Also note that in the one where Spud throws that Wallace is next in line with his blinged out airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh the FOOB "Lawrence is gay" story was a goddamn media sensation in Canada when it first ran. It pushed Lynn's media presence to the next level and brought her a tier of celebrity/notoriety that isn't usually associated with newspaper comics, even in an era where people gave a poo poo about newspaper comics. There was a period of about a month that summer where I swear that every single goddamn CBC radio show or Can-con platform had a segment about the story. Even though that scale is probably distortion of memory, it was without a doubt an extremely high-profile thing. I have a pretty strong memory (again, possibly a pastiche memory but based on other things in the Canadian media sphere from that time) of an episode of Cross Country Checkup that was hours of people calling in variously to congratulate Lynn for being "so progressive and brave," or to be "very concerned" about the strip.