Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If ever there was something that would set a fire under people's asses to pack the court...

Happy New Year! This is one of several threads that finally prompted me to join SA. It's become my daily newspaper page and I'm grateful for the thought put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Everyone loves Wallace the Brave and I think with the introduction of Rose "the smart one" rounding out the cast, it's really hit its stride. Visit Will Henry's wine and chesses shop if you're ever in Newport, RI.

I've always thought that Wallace would make a great RPG, something like Earthbound where you get into wacky adventures with Spud.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shneak posted:

I would be open to an animated series of it but the art style should be a package deal.

That would be cool! Didn't someone ITT say that Phoebe was getting an animated adaptation?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EBB posted:

Push him overboard. Nobody will ever know.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Got 'em. I'm sure Estelle is thoroughly owned.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

I had to bring this to you all as soon as I saw it.

I'm guessing that Wilbur will be saved and it'll be proof to Estelle that she needs to accept Wilbur's proposal because "he needs someone to take care of him!". But I'm hoping I'm wrong and that she's over it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Does anyone get what the joke is supposed to be here? I know it's "kids today :rolleyes:" but it seems like a non sequitur.

e: "Oops...forgot to tell a joke!".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 13, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks July 16, 1936

Guest appearance by Tor Johnson.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

How indeed, Estelle. How indeed.

This is going to go one of two ways:

1. Wilbur lives...somehow...and Estelle feels like she has to take care of him so she agrees to marry him.
2. Wilbur doesn't live, and for reasons unknown Estelle feels a sense of obligation because they were fighting before he took a drunken leap.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Wilbur dies and Estelle writes a book about him and eventually testifies before Congress about cruise ship safety.

She becomes an advocate for the WILBUR Act, or Watchdog for Intoxicated Losers who Belly flop into Underwater Risks.

(It needs work but I was having trouble coming up with an acronym for his name.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is peak soap opera cheese. I'm not sure whether I'm disgusted that this turd gets so many second chances or amused by how ludicrous it is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Arbetor posted:

First thing that pops up in my head with any deserted island story:

I'd watch it.

:lol: I would too.

"Tastes just like lady fingers!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

I just might...
The Good Innvandrer
(The Good Immigrant)
Basically a strip about Janine El Khawand from Libanon that fell in love with a norwegian, went to visit him, got stuck in the corona epidemic and made a comic strip about it:

Cool! I had forgotten about this strip. It's a pretty good one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The doctor needs to be careful. Wouldn't want Ed to get brain damage.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

God help Mildred if she tries to eat her pudding before her meat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Minecraft: Wilbur Edition

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Couldn't resist:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Medenmath posted:

I love it! But instead of MP he should have a hunger meter IMO. Honestly I would play that game.

I hope people speculating that he's like a quarter mile down the beach from a town or resort are right. I want him to be found half starved in a shoddy coconut frond lean-to by a kindergartener carrying a plastic bucket.

Good idea! I didn't think of that. I'd play it too, if only for Wilbur's wacky hijinx.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mary should call Frank Drebin to help console them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoHh3Btqgs&t=131s

e: Also, I was exploring a using bookstore this afternoon and found 'The Comics before 1945' and 'After 1945' for a great price. What prompted me to buy it was seeing several of the vintage comics in the book that are posted here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 25, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

That said, I think the author is commenting on the way the media avoids talking about class issues rather than actually commenting on communism. The "communism" comment is less about the actual political theory and more a commentary on the way the right will shut down any left wing idea under the pretext of it being communist regardless of it's actual content. Which is true so I don't think it's fair to call Pastis a centrist just yet (at least based on this strip alone).

No, I don't think it's fair at all. He correctly reframes the issue away from "left vs. right" to "ruling class vs working class" and only adds the jab at Family Circus to keep things light.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shugojin posted:

Yeah it's very.. eh on the art

but at some point they started doing fun storylines and running jokes and it's been really good???

When Tinkersons first started, it seemed like a mediocre “slice of life” family strip. But they’ve leaned into the fun and ridiculous story lines and I’ve come to really appreciate the strip.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I hesitate to comment on parenting too much because I’m not a parent and have no idea what I’d do with my son in a situation like this. But losing the car for six months because Michael got on the freeway seems ridiculously excessive.

(I’m aware of Lyn’s “angels told her to let her kid come in from frigid temperatures” story.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Dr Dad DDS is suggesting that Michael loses access to HIS car, meaning the sports car, for six months. He can still drive Mom's Boring Wagon to bring his sister to practice and w/e

It's still excessive though, yes

Oh, I missed that detail. It's not Dustin levels of injustice or anything, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I read today's Funky on Son of Stuck Funky and to be honest, I think Dinkle is far more obnoxious than Les. Wallowing in endless self pity over your wife dying twenty years ago is bad, but weapons level smuggery over being a second rate band teacher in some Ohio town is, I think, far worse.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Was Batiuk a band teacher himself or does he just have some sort of fetish for horrible music-related puns?

The funny thing is he might even be losing his audience. My parents, especially my Dad, has been a fan of Funky for years, but when I was with them recently I think they were questioning the point of the story line.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I'm with Spud. I hated bus drills and because of physical disabilities, wasn't actually supposed to jump anyway. Luckily, I don't think drills happened all that often.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What's amazing about Mary Worth is that it's not necessarily even Wilbur being abusive; it's Mary shrugging off the fact that Wilbur is such an irresponsible manchild.

It's come to this: an almost 38 year old adult man angry at a soap opera strip.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

She can't keep getting away with this

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

(sigh)

In order: "You better sit down for this," and "OH NO, YOU'RE NOT GETTING OUT OF HERE THAT EASILY."

(Everything else later today, I promise...)

:lol:

I didn't realize that the Oscars were adding a new "Most Ridiculously Melodramatic Depiction of Cancer" category this year.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Whether it's smug moralizing or Les' triumph, Funky is going to be absolutely insufferable; worse than the kid gloves treatment of Wilbur.

It occurs to me that Batiuk is somewhat similar to Scott Adams: both received a lot of praise back in the day for their cartooning - Adams for capturing corporate bullshit so well in Dilbert, and Baituk for handling a difficult subject like cancer with sensitivity. Both allowed that praise to go to their heads, but that's where the similarities end. As far as I know, Batiuk isn't a smug chud who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but he is completely up his own rear end with the interminable "comic book inside baseball" and "Les wallowing in self-pity" story lines.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Longest death in comics history.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

That last panel probably has avatar possibilities.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm imagining Batiuk writing this and thinking that he's very clever for pacing himself by "only" making Lisa's Story number two in Oscar contentions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (April 10, 2010)

I wonder if salad bars and buffets are going to come back in the wake of covid. I kinda hope not, tbh.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Poil posted:

They closed down where you live??? :sweden:

I doubt it. American chuds probably think that Golden Corral shutting its doors would be an attack on freedom.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Funky is nowhere near cool enough for a Sgt. Pepper's reference.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Getting assignments in at the very last minute is an important skill for college.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Batiuk has an Al Bundy-like obsession with wringing every last drop from his four touchdowns in a single high school football game award-winning depiction of a cancer patient with dignity 25 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kavak posted:

Bundy aged more gracefully and was overall a more tasteful person.

Shoe salesman might be a more dignified job than 'professional cancermonger' also.