Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Snatch did it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b538ndRV9Do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Fingerpori is a cult classic from Finland, drawn and written by Pertti Jarla. The comic features far fetched (and often untranslatable) puns and also a bunch of social commentary on the hot issues of the day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Back when I was in the army, I had some moles cut off my head by the trainee medics, and it was fine except they had never heard of bedside manner or doctorly conduct and used their scalpels with the enthusiasm normally found in 80s slasher movies.

But I guess it could've been worse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Wait.... what?

I think maybe the last panel would work better if ... everything around the two huts wasn't green also.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Aww geez, Mark Trail. There's Wilburs flying all over the place.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1949)

Holy poo poo that's rad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No translation needed.

Except maybe the note that "UUTUUSMUSIKAALI" means "the new musical"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in a crossover with the mystery teens it will be revealed that lem survived and grew up into wilbur

Impossible, Wilbur very much is not a good laugh once you get to know him.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hostile V posted:

The end of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I love the VERY understated Christian iconography.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori. Couldn't decide on the translation so you get to!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Bloop posted:

Teddy Roosevelt is going to shoot that man dead if he stops rocking that boat

He'll loving do it, too. That guy's crazy!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

He'll climb the palm, fall down but in doing so will be spotted by the ship and rescued immediately. Because we can't have good things.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here is a list of people that WON'T be killed by me:
Mother Family Circus
Little Boy Family Circus
Little Girl Family Circus
Baby Family Circus

That is all.

I can't find the original clip on YouTube so enjoy this amazing remix instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjM_tFtecYw

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Why is that kid wearing a T-shirt underwater?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori shows what the Matrix might have been like if Neo was into :catdrugs:

E:

This one I have no idea how to translate.

The literal translation on the sign is "get out of mistake/erroneous positions", which I guess is the Finnish term for bad posture, bad foot angling when walking etc.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 28, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

Dogbert November 22, 1966

Dogbert's origin story: he killed a man and was given the choice between prison and the army at age 8.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Untranslatable Fingerpori

The original Finnish is "muista anoa". "Anoa" means to apply, to beg, to petition. "Ano" is also a rare Finnish male first name, and the partitive form of Ano is Anoa. "Muista" is also an expression for sending someone birthday greetings, a present or something similar. Like literally "remember someone".

So the joke can be either "remember to apply" or "remember Ano and send him a present".

As an aside, Ano Turtiainen is a Finnish far right politician who is constantly skirting our hate crime laws, which I'm sure is extremely surprising based on his appearance alone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Counterattack (December 18, 1913)

I love the little turtle and mouse with 4 dollar bills in their mouths.

And Jerry (or Pretzel?) appears to be having a stroke.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A triptych of Fingerporis.

In Finnish slang "tonttu" means "one thousand moneys", but is also the word for gnome. The etymology isn't that complicated, one thousand things have been called "tonni" (after "ton") for ages, and it's a pretty short skip from there. So this guy had quite a big debt which is now being collected by "Cruel Collections".

Traditionally we had two types of milk in Finland named after the colours of the containers: red milk and blue milk (and of course viperless milk). Red milk is full milk with full fat content, blue milk is light milk. In the 80s or 90s they added a third type, fat free milk, which comes in a light blue carton.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

Up Front December 15, 1944

drat that's a fine StuG.

E: real life StuG IIIs from the Finnish Armoured Regiment.

The StuG, or Sturmgeschütz (Assault Gun) was Germany's workhorse during World War II, and its various models saw heavy use on all fronts throughout the war. Many of them were also sold to Finland to aid us in our war against the Soviet Union.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 8, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

There have been a number of doping scandals in cross country skiing, including a famous one in Finland where in 2001 six Finnish athletes were caught using Hemohes, a hydroxyethyl starch substance.

As an aside, "iskender" is a type of kebab that's become very popular in Finland. Since Turkish and other Middle-Eastern immigrants made kebab restaurants an ubiquitous part of urban Finland, kebabs have become so popular that they're sometimes referred to as Finland's modern national dish. An iskender is a dish where kebab meat and salad are piled on pieces of pita bread.

Now I want a kebab.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

How the gently caress do you even cut yourself with a modern disposable razor? I switched to safety razors a year ago and I can see cutting yourself with one of those because that's easy, but with a disposable razor I could literally close my eyes and just flail it on my head without getting a nick.

Anyway,

FINGERPORI

This was actually a hot issue in Finland a week ago. Our university of life graduates and far wing loonies bought the "50 000 trucker convoy in Canada" story hook, line and sinker, and decided to block the road in front of our parliament until their demands were met. The demands included covid vaccination lunacy, as well as the halving of fuel prices.

The end result was a lot of news footage of naked dudes swimming in snow and other performance comedy. Fuel prices were not halved.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is kink shaming birds.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Friedberg and Seltzer are the guys who made Vampires Suck, Disaster Movie, Epic Movie etc. The Finnish originals were two real bad directors who make most of our local equivalents to Kevin James movies.

This is Sami Hedberg, our local Kevin James, in a characteristically subtle performance. He has been accused of harassing women which I'm sure is a huge shock.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Or that's what I assume about skeletons. Now that I think about it that's the one with the least lore that I'm aware of.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In keeping with the thread's title, Fingerpori.

The literal Finnish equivalent to "skin and bones" is "bones and leather", but that still only explains half of it. For the rest we need to know that the Finnish for a broom is "luuta", which is also the partitive form of "luu", bone.

So the old lady can either be saying that Kyösti is now all bone and leather, or that now Kyösti only has a broom and leathers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

But where's the viperless milk?!

Too expensive after buying the leathers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think the pun also works in English.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pancho Jueves posted:

Someone was going to...

There's the viper.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I remember when Take it from the Tinkersons was a lovely comic about shilling local pizza places and theme parks. And then it got weird.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

Oh poo poo I just noticed the appearance by the Sandman from an old DDR era puppet animation. He was featured on every episode of a legendary Finnish childrens' TV show and is still a cult classic over here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Hey it's another untranslatable one again!

The Finnish word "lihavoimalla" can either mean "by bolding something" (bolding being "lihavointi", literally fattening, in Finnish, and this is the adessive form) or "with meat power", a combination of "liha" (meat) and voima (power).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (October 14-16, 1918)

Eh, the war's gonna be over before the package even gets to the guy, relax.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

I love that the coffee is addressed to "Susen".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Touch away, we don't mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWhaOb0Ka-k