Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

(I don't like the thread poll because it won't let me pick all four options. :mad: )
:same:

Happy New Thread! Great OP, Some Guy TT! I'll do a blurb for some of my usuals that you didn't get to yet.

F Minus

One panel gag-a-day strip that is usually pretty good.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

The Ghost Who Walks! The Phantom is a guy who comes from a long line of other guys who fight against bad guys as the Phantom. Supposedly the only people in on the secret that it is not in fact the same person is a tribe called the Bandar. The current Phantom is the 21st and has two kids and a wife, with the son Kit being prepped to be the next Phantom although we all know it should be the daughter Heloise.

The current storyline is a story being told to the Phantom of why he should not go rescue an old ally of his from prison. Somehow this rescue is supposed to lead to the end of the Phantom line, but they're taking their time getting to how that happens. It's kind of annoying, since none of this is actually happening but the strip reads like it is and eventually Phantom is just going to go rescue her anyways.

Pooch Cafe

We already broke 2022.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Didn't update, but I want to mention it's in my opinion one of the best comics posted for the consistently high level of quality of it's gags.

For some reason it fairly regularly is not updated for a few days because of some back-end issue at GoComics.

Apartment 3-G

I post classic A3G basically just because I started to when they stopped running modern A3G. The artist is real good and sometimes it's got a good story though, so I'll keep it up.

I also post classic Flash Gordon on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ukonvasara posted:

Happy new year comics thread! My new year's resolution is to make more edits. Let's see if I abruptly abandon it in favor of something else, like a Luann plot line, or stick with it for an excruciatingly long time, like a Rex Morgan plot line.
I'm gonna try to do this too. I liked how edits kind of popped back up last year right at the tail end there once someone who hadn't visited in a while wandered in and asked about them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Do remote controls have battery indicators? Probably some touchscreen universal ones I bet but that's not what that looks like.

Rex Morgan MD

How dare you bring up one of my past frauds as I accuse someone else of defrauding me!

Flash Gordon

Andertoons still hasn't updated.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

That's a good deal.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Estelle: Run.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons catchup

The guy with the mustache makes this one for me.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Doesn't this dude hate Mark? Is he the guy Mark stole the laptop from? Or the guy that put him in a livestream boxing match? Or both?
Both. I think he's just the type who if he needs something from you he's going to pretend everything's great.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

davidspackage posted:

I'm sure that, if Estelle tells Wilbur she doesn't want to get married (yet), he will be mature and rational about it.
Oh I'm sure you're ri—

:ughh:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Not gonna lie, RMMD barely survived staying on my list of comics past the New Year and I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

gently caress you, Wilbur.

I wonder if they've leaned to hard into making Wilbur a piece of poo poo because readers like hating on him.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Don't make fun of Bill's bowel problems, kid.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Honestly it feels like the Mary Worth team has backed themselves into a corner. They get a lot of attention from Wilbur being lovely, they know everyone loves to hate Wilbur, but if they show Wilbur getting his comeuppance or facing permanent consequences, that well dries up. (And "a lot of attention" is relative here - we're still talking about Mary Worth.)

Come to think of it, it really feels like the last storyline was heading for a different ending, and then abruptly changed so it could be extended into this one. Seems like it wasn't planned.
Knowing the structure MW generally follows, it is strange that we got the Mary Worth Victory Lap last week and now instead of moving on we seem to be starting a new arc with the same characters facing the same issues. We should be getting introduced to the next one, or seeing one of the short intermission ones that are resolved in a week or two.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I don't know if this deserves a :smith: or :unsmith:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Maybe he'll fall overboard all on his own.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Why do people insist on bringing up all my frauds?"

Andertoons

They are synonyms but I get the joke.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Professor Wayne posted:

Mary Worth is the best comic in this thread.
:hmmyes:

Esplanade posted:

I've already mentioned I'd like to put Norm Feuti on Dustin and turn the entire strip on its head. And having written Gil, he could actually do something with the neighbor kid, whose name I can't be arsed to remember.
Due to doing some investigating about the Big Brother thing we were talking about in here, I happen to know the kid's name is Hayden.

riderchop posted:

make Randy Milholland the permanent Popeye guy
I forgot about them giving him a good run and I now I'm surprised they never did that. I would definitely to that if I were in charge of Popeye.

F Minus

He's right.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Guys I think Wilbur's really going overboard.

Looks like I'm staying up late tonight to check Mary freaking Worth. Not for the first time.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I just remembered, if I were in charge of Comics Kingdom I'd bring back a rebooted Apartment 3-G. I think a good writer and artist could do a lot with a strip about three young women sharing an apartment in NYC.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Getting older isn't so bad. Just don't pretend it isn't happening and try not to turn into an rear end in a top hat.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

A million-dollar idea of two dogs.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I had to bring this to you all as soon as I saw it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Confirmed.

https://comicskingdom.com/mary-worth

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

I keep getting 404 errors every time I try to access any page on Comics Kingdom, I can only assume that all the extra traffic from goons trying to see if Wilbur really fell overboard is crashing the site.
300+ comments on today's Mary Worth. I guarantee you tomorrow some marketing guy is going to be very excitedly talking about 'engagement.'
:lol:

Edit:
This one too :lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Well how did this setup begin then?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

It appears Rene may have a legit argument right now, but I bet it won't end up that way.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 9, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:
Ha ha...ha?

F Minus

Now that's funny.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth
Just wanted to add my two cents to the Wilbur's dead discussion. I don't think they're going to actually kill Wilbur. If he doesn't get rescued immediately and is presumed dead, he will be back, probably within the year.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Didn't even say hello.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

NO YOU DON'T ESTELLE

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Hm it's looking like she did 'steal' the idea.

Andertoons

More like in-STY-gram

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Apparently this is going to be a thing.

https://twitter.com/teaberryblue/status/1481044024370864135

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

This is a dated joke even for 1945:

quote:

Ultimately, however, the President’s recommendations were adopted and thereafter, manufacturers of fraternal fobs listed their charms as being “genuine walrus ivory teeth.”
Later, as walrus numbers dwindled, they moved on to elephants.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

It's actually surprising to me that drunk people falling off cruise ships is not more common than it is.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

csammis posted:

lol that someone saw an insane spike in traffic on Mary Worth and figured out that people would genuinely pay money to commemorate Wilber dying
They're right but you gotta get it done while the iron is hot. A week from now no one is going to buy that shirt.

Probably.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m starting to believe there’s a chance the shipwrecked Castaway desert island Wilbur story might actually happen. Then he’d be big again a year later when that story comes around and he’s rescued.
I don't know how they're going to do it or how long it will take, but I am 100% sure we have not seen the last of Wilbur.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gnoman posted:

In my experience, it's normal to announce that you're going to bed, or otherwise indicate why you are leaving the room. Because it is useful for the other people you're around to know if you're not coming back (and thus they might want to change the channel or do something else with the TV), or if you're going to be passing the kitchen and can grab a beer or something on the way back.
What Ed did is completely normal and fine and I will never forgive Dustin's mom for making me align with him. The correct response is "OK, goodnight!"

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Sir, all we've found is footage of a whiny loser jackass that spent the night getting sloppy drunk at the bar."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

:hai:

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why have I been on the edge of my seat for each day's Mary Worth post for days in a row now? I know in my heart that Wilbur is unlikely to be dead, but I have to know.
I keep forgetting to try to get them up earlier because I know some people (like EBB) are checking CK at like midnight every day and I don't mean to hold anyone in suspense.

F Minus

That's a good nephew.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Huh. Code Oscar's a real thing.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I applaud you for taking the current RMMD storyline and telling it better.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Frank's getting laid.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 14, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

WEB SITE ON SHARKS would be a good username.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I would think they'd have a smaller boat available for stuff like his rather than turning the whole giant cruise ship around. Or they just call the Coast Guard and leave it to them.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I feel ya, Anderson.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How indeed, Estelle. How indeed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is going to go one of two ways:

1. Wilbur lives...somehow...and Estelle feels like she has to take care of him so she agrees to marry him.
2. Wilbur doesn't live, and for reasons unknown Estelle feels a sense of obligation because they were fighting before he took a drunken leap.
Wilbur dies and Estelle writes a book about him and eventually testifies before Congress about cruise ship safety.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

This couldn't possibly be some king of transparent ruse!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

Did Sassy get rebooted as a cat? I'm just about certain that she was a dog, back in the days of the jackelrod.
Sassy sounded familiar but I didn't make the connection. Looks like yeah the made Sassy a cat.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wilbur somehow washes up on North Sentinel Island.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Those Were the Days January 23, 1958

Every parent's nightmare.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Great now we're starting over :mad:

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Hey remember when that spy friend of Jordan's assassinated a guy and then disappeared? And how all this hinted at a dark past for Jordan that was perhaps catching up with him? That was exciting!

Well anyways, now we're doing this.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Oh man I feel like I fell off a cruise ship or something.'

The Phantom

Get on with it!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Suck it, circle.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Elsewhere: Disco is starting to get some backlash for reasons that definitely have nothing to do with racism or homophobia, nope

This was not quite to the level of 10 Cent Beer Night in the list of Bad Baseball Promotion Ideas, but it's up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJfOcnYYEQ

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Forget '80s Flash Gordon, how many folks in this thread have any idea who Dobie Gillis was, or could recognize Maynard G. Krebs by sight?

(Had a rush this morning, so no comics, alas.)
I do because of Nick at Nite back in the day, which still makes me old, just not that old.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Calgon take me away!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Libby strikes again!

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I think this woman may be a tramp, or even a hussy!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I'm having a flashback to 2012. Based on past experience, they have no more than three months before they get fired.
Classic.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Maybe you can get off your rear end and look around, dipshit.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Maybe he'll fall from the tree and die.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

When I first started driving I was driving a coworker home and took a wrong turn in my hometown and got lost. I mean I recognized everything around me as I had seen it before at some point, but it wasn't a place I went to a lot and I just didn't know how to get home from there. And now I was late getting home so I thought my mom would be worried and all, so I worked myself into a panic about the whole thing. I wound up stopping and calling my mom for directions, and it turned out i was like 2 turns away from an area I was very familiar with.

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

drat, Collins is good.
You know, I could understand Ed giving his son a hard time in a misguided effort to get him to 'grow up' and get out of the house—it's not a good thing to do or even the most effective way to do it but I can see the rationalization.

Here though, Dustin's not even there. He's just expressing contempt for his own son to some dude at a party.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Doh!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really was hoping we'd get at least a few days of Wilbur doing poo poo like trying to build a tent out of leaves to survive, and that he'd just get discovered by someone walking down the beach thinking "What the gently caress is this idiot doing."
This would have been better, yeah.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nostalgamus posted:

Storm P
Today's entry featuring an impressive amount of racist stereotypes in a single panel.

:lol: Wow! I just never stop being amazed at the rampant casual racism of the past.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh come on it's been like a half a day, tops. In that time they've maybe stopped searching, but definitely as we see Estelle has already gotten home from wherever they were in the cruise and told Dawn and Mary about all this.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Run for it, Marty!

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

JethroMcB posted:

Wilbur washed ashore on an island like 12 hours after falling off the boat
Wilbur almost immediately realized it was a resort island
Wilbur apparently has not attempted to contact anybody in the last week

This plot was painstakingly workshopped to be a dumb as possible.
I can't believe I missed the "One Week Later" box! This is even worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Pastis has been slowly turning more and more conservative over the years as he gets older, in the sense of "everyone is so offended, why can't I say things I wanna say?" so I'm not really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says "far left is just like far right." He's exactly the kind of dipshit who would believe in horseshoe theory and swear he's a liberal.
I agree with this, but I also suspect part of why Pastis does what he does is he doesn't want to piss off anyone too bad so when he touches on politics he tends to both-sides it, or he waters down the impact of whatever message he is getting to by having pig say "Why don't we all just hug each other?" at the end. The last thing he wants is to impact his newspaper syndication or book sales.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Actually, Estelle, I believe he went over the bars and hit the water.

Also Estelle's going to give in and they're going to get married aren't they? :(

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

That's kind of sweet really.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G