Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
we have come to the end of another wretched year, with everything feeling about as low as it can go. but wrestling still seems okay! in the spirit of making everyone feel a little bit better about the world that we all inhabit, vote for superlatives in these most prestigious awards. categories are drawn and stolen wholeheartedly from Wrestling Observer year-end awards. you can vote for as many or as few as you'd like. voting will end at or around 11:59 PM on January 16th. we'll come back at a later time and enjoy all the results, together.

make your case for your favorite wrestling work of the year in this thread! tell the world why YOU think Kidd Bandit should be in the running for Most Outstanding because of the Naruto run. hilarious. what a classic.

:frogsiren: VOTING LINK: https://forms.gle/xjawmfJWMc5y9oPa6 :frogsiren:

our discussion thread from the previous few months surrounding Observer Awards (which you can use as a signpost because the categories are pretty much ripped off whole-hog here!) are in this thread, if you want to see how others in the forum have been leaning.

our gigantic 2021 Pro Wrestling Match of the Year thread is here, if you'd like to peruse and take in what you may have missed before making your vote.

2021 year-end voting for FIGHT ISLAND's MMA awards are in this thread. make sure to vote in both and impact the lives and welfare of the fighters we hold dearly.

the categories are here if you want to copy and paste it in this thread or see them before going to the Google Form:

code:
[i][b]Category A Awards (three votes for each category)[/b][/i]
[b]Wrestler of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Most Outstanding Wrestler:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Tag Team of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best on Interviews:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Promotion of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best Weekly TV Show:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best Show of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Worst Show of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best Wrestling Maneuver:[/b]
1)
2)
3)

[i][b]Category B Awards (one vote for each category)[/b][/i]
[b]Best Box Office Draw:[/b]
[b]Feud of the Year:[/b]
[b]Most Improved:[/b]
[b]Most Charismatic[/b]:
[b]Best Technical Wrestler:[/b]
[b]Best Brawler:[/b]
[b]Best Flying Wrestler:[/b]
[b]Most Overrated:[/b]
[b]Most Underrated[/b]:
[b]Rookie of the Year:[/b]
[b]Best Non-Wrestler:[/b]
[b]Best Television Announcer:[/b]
[b]Worst Television Announcer:[/b]
[b]Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic:[/b]
[b]Worst Television Show:[/b]
[b]Worst Match of the Year:[/b]
[b]Worst Feud of the Year:[/b]
[b]Worst Promotion:[/b]
[b]Worst on Interviews:[/b]
[b]Best Booker:[/b]
[b]Promoter of the Year:[/b]
[b]Best Gimmick:[/b]
[b]Worst Gimmick:[/b]
[b]Best on Social Media:[/b]
[b]Worst on Social Media:[/b]
[b]Best Wrestling Book:[/b]
[b]Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Documentary:[/b]
[b]Best Wrestling Podcast:[/b]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm starting the HOOK for Most Charismatic campaign right here

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
By mid-year it seemed worst gimmick was all locked up in a two horse race between Fiend Alexa v Nikki ASH

yet it seems likely that neither will win and the race is now between House of Torture v Joe Gacy

what an age we live in

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Apollo Crews developed a Nigerian accent overnight and he's not even going to crack the top 3

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Went back and forth on it, but decided to flip my "worst" match from the thread. I don't tend to watch shows I think are bad, so this list contains ONE (1) show I didn't actually watch, but which objectively observes to be included on principle. (It's the fuckin' zombie thing).

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:
1. Kenny Omega
2. Roman Reigns
3. Shingo Takagi

Most Outstanding Wrestler:
1. Shingo Takagi
2. Bryan Danielson
3. Rey Fenix

Tag Team of the Year:
1. The Young Bucks
2. Lucha Bros
3. Dangerous Tekkers

Best on Interviews:
1. Eddie Kingston
2. CM Punk
3. MJF

Promotion of the Year:
1. All Elite Wrestling
2. Game Changer Wrestling
3. Impact Wrestling

Best Weekly TV Show:
1. AEW Rampage
2. AEW Dynamite
3. Impact Wrestling on AXS

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:
1. Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros, All Out
2. Bryan Danielson vs. Hangman Page, Winter is Coming
3. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shingo Takagi, New Beginning

Best Show of the Year:
1) AEW Full Gear
2) AEW All Out
3) GCW Homecoming

Worst Show of the Year:
1) Triplemania Regia II
2) WWE Wrestlemania Backlash
3) Wrestle Grand Slam in MetLife Dome, Night 1

Best Wrestling Maneuver:
1) Double Springboard Moonsault, Dante Martin
2) One Winged Angel, Kenny Omega
3) REDRUM, HOOK (meme category gets meme vote)

Category "B" Awards:
Best Box Office Draw: CM Punk
Feud of the Year: Hangman Page vs. Kenny Omega
Most Improved: Matt Cardona
Most Charismatic: Eddie Kingston
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zach Sabre Jr.
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Tomohiro Ishii
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: Will Ospreay
Most Underrated: Emi Sakura
Rookie of the Year: Dante Martin
Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Worst Television Announcer: Matt Striker
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE's relationship with Saudi Arabia
Worst Television Show: WWE Raw
Worst Match of the Year: Toru Yano vs. Chase Owens, "I Quit" Match, Wrestle Grand Slam in MetLife Dome - Night 1
Worst Feud of the Year: Toru Yano vs. EVIL
Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Worst on Interviews: Liv Morgan
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: Matt Cardona
Worst Gimmick: Joe Gacy
Best on Social Media: Nyla Rose
Worst on Social Media: Brian Cage
Best Pro Wrestling Book: MOX
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring, "The Plane Ride from Hell"
Best Pro Wrestling Podcast: [blank, I don't listen to podcasts]

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 2, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There are still 15 shows on my "to watch" list from 2021 either because they've not made it online yet for various reasons or I'm just sidetracked trying to get the shows with heavy hitters that might bother my top 25 matches watched first (sorry Final Battle). New Japan, despite a pretty uninspiring year, still blew away the competition with 2 *****, 8 ****¾, 13 ****½ & 20 ****¼ matches. DDT had the 2nd most MOTYCs, 26 in total, NOAH had 3rd most at 24, Dragongate had 20, All Japan & Stardom had 18, SEAdLINNNG had 17, AEW had 16, with GLEAT & Ice Ribbon rounding out the top 10 with 12 a piece. But NOAH had a ***** & 2 ****¾ & 11 ****½, while DDT had just 1 at ****¾ & 6 ****½. So on raw MOTYC NJPW 1, NOAH 2, DDT 3. But that doesn't take into account the booking, & New Japan is the single most infuriating promotion in the world. Like, WWE has lovely booking & wrestling but why would you expect anything else, they've been this way for a few years now. So there's no way they can be my #1. And SEAdLINNNG got all those noms from just 15 shows & GLEAT had 19, where as I've seen 65 NJPW shows, 47 DDT & NOAH 41. So I'm maybe leaning NOAH 1, SEAdLINNNG 2, GLEAT 3. But not having NJPW when the matches that were good were really loving good is churlish.

This is hard.

Anyway, wrestling was pretty good in 2021 despite everything going against it. I can tell you that much with certainty.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

id like to suggest a best deathmatch wrestler category for next year, just nestle it by best brawler.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I would also like to suggest a new category for next year: Best Tournament. There’s many and they’re often good, and I don’t think the G1 would win every year either, for example this year

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

a cyborg mug posted:

I would also like to suggest a new category for next year: Best Tournament. There’s many and they’re often good, and I don’t think the G1 would win every year either, for example this year

I genuinely enjoyed the N-1 Victory more than the G1 this year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AEW's Women's US/Japan Eliminator Tournament would walk it this year

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

bring back the Strongest Wrestler award

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Pretty much what made me think of it really.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Well, yeah, of course it would, it's AEW and this forum.

But I'd vote for the D-Ou or 5☆GP

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Well, yeah, of course it would, it's AEW and this forum.

But I'd vote for the D-Ou or 5☆GP

The tournament in question was half joshi and had a field of Ryo Mizunami/Emi Sakura/Yuka Sakazaki/Mei Suruga/Maki Itoh/Aja Kong/Rin Kadokura/VENY

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

The tournament in question was half joshi and had a field of Ryo Mizunami/Emi Sakura/Yuka Sakazaki/Mei Suruga/Maki Itoh/Aja Kong/Rin Kadokura/VENY

Yes, I saw it at the time. It was good, had Kong Aniki at 4¼. Glad it happened. Still wouldn't be in the top 5 tournaments I saw in 2021. About on par with the AEW World Title Eliminator & ahead of the TBS Title Tournament for me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
gently caress I nominated Tsukushi rather than Tsukasa

Vince is right two wrestlers should never have slightly similar names and be named things like Berg Hammond or Marik Malops to prevent confusion

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 2, 2022

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Reminder that Willie Urbina being a racist and Will Ospreay attacking fka Bea Priestley both happened this year. I had to look those up to make sure.

Also in a psoitive note, please remember Mata Ne was this year.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 3, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

Willie Urbina being a racist

This was obviously terrible but not sure it counts as a promotional tactic when the dude did it off his own initiativeand got shitcanned straight after

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

fez_machine posted:

gently caress I nominated Tsukushi rather than Tsukasa

Vince is right two wrestlers should never have slightly similar names and be named things like Berg Hammond or Marik Malops to prevent confusion

if you want to change it, I can just fix it in the spreadsheet

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

thank you, I would love that!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

This was obviously terrible but not sure it counts as a promotional tactic when the dude did it off his own initiativeand got shitcanned straight after

I meant voting him as Worst Announcer, if you don't wanna just slam pick a WWE duder.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Bard Maddox posted:

Hey I just had a massive brainfart and forgot that Eddie Kingston existed when doing the best on interviews. Can you put him in at number 1 on mine?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

spamman posted:

Hey I just had a massive brainfart and forgot that Eddie Kingston existed when doing the best on interviews. Can you put him in at number 1 on mine?

yes, I just moved everyone else down one spot and put in Kingston at #1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope everybody remembers to put The Hana Kimura Memorial Show in 1st place as Best Show of the Year, because it was :colbert:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

here's a category that's pretty tight at the moment: Best Gimmick! what do you think the best gimmick of the year was? make your case and you could make the difference with new voters!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bard Maddox posted:

here's a category that's pretty tight at the moment: Best Gimmick! what do you think the best gimmick of the year was? make your case and you could make the difference with new voters!

I almost voted Britt Baker or Luchasaurus, since their gimmicks have really helped push them above their previous ceilings.

But then I realized the answer is Lego Joker Goblin Shunma Katsumata

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

I hope everybody remembers to put The Hana Kimura Memorial Show in 1st place as Best Show of the Year, because it was :colbert:

Mata Ne

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I voted Miro because 'man who believes he's a holy warrior blessed by god to smite the weak' is incredible material on its own and then he takes it to the next level

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm torn between Miro and Black's "two horned one eyed flying grumpy Varsity eater" gimmick.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I don't remember if I nominated anything for best gimmick but if I didn't please change it to "Cody Rhodes"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I voted Kenoh as #1 gimmick because the gimmick of petulantly angry manbaby who throws tantrums at basically the most minor of perceived slight but just happens to have kicks hard enough to break your skull is in fact the perfect wrestling gimmick to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I voted Kenoh as #1 gimmick because the gimmick of petulantly angry manbaby who throws tantrums at basically the most minor of perceived slight but just happens to have kicks hard enough to break your skull is in fact the perfect wrestling gimmick to me.

....gimmick? :confused:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I voted for GM Imabayashi as best non wrestler, but it just hit me at work today that I overlooked the (formerly) hardest working man in wrestling, DDT's Mr. Haku. Pretty much every English speaking DDT/TJPW fan had him to thank for going above and beyond to bring us live translations of every single live show (in addition to his actual job of doing backstage interviews), to the point he was running after them at the last Rojo match in the Tokyo Dome so he could hear what they were shouting

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

I voted Miro because 'man who believes he's a holy warrior blessed by god to smite the weak' is incredible material on its own and then he takes it to the next level

"and is really horny for his wife"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

I voted for GM Imabayashi as best non wrestler, but it just hit me at work today that I overlooked the (formerly) hardest working man in wrestling, DDT's Mr. Haku. Pretty much every English speaking DDT/TJPW fan had him to thank for going above and beyond to bring us live translations of every single live show (in addition to his actual job of doing backstage interviews), to the point he was running after them at the last Rojo match in the Tokyo Dome so he could hear what they were shouting

Very good point, glad I bookmarked my entry so I could go back and edit it, Mr. Haku definitely deserves all the recognition in the world for how accessible they made those Wrestle Universe shows.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

here's another category that's pretty tight where a few votes could make a big difference: Most Improved! who was real dogshit or a little dogshit in years past and now is pretty good?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I mean this with no hint of irony or memery, Maki Itoh is easily the most improved this year. She started 2021 as very solid worker but still mostly a thing cause she was good at the Twitters. She's come out fo 2021 as a legit international superstar who can match anyone in TJPW for match quality and who could conceivably carry the company. Her growth this year's been incredible.

Or if not her vote Tay Conti. She's still not the finished article but she's putting her game together really fast.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

here's another category that's pretty tight where a few votes could make a big difference: Most Improved! who was real dogshit or a little dogshit in years past and now is pretty good?

The Bunny is most improved. She went from a poor 2020 to watchable in early 2021 to genuinely really good at the end of 2021, doing new moves and really reinventing herself.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The most improved is Bryan Danielson. This is a person that literally did not exist before August and is now one of the best wrestlers in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

Diamante. No, not that one. When Diamante came to Dragongate in 2019 he was there because he'd worked with Ultimo Dragon in Mexico & Ultimo trusted him not to kill him I guess. And that was the extent of why he came as far as I can tell. But he did a solid 4 months & got a bit better. And then pandemic hit & he's basically stuck in Japan & working pretty regular as part of RED, no longer just Ultimo's dance partner. By the end of 2020 he's a pretty decent hand. Zip forward to the end of 2021, and he's worked 10-16 times a month for the entire year, he gets paired with the rookie La Estrella early in the year because it turns out he's turned into one of the best bases in wrestling. He's not going to dazzle you, but by god does he make everyone he faces look better.