Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Aglet56 posted:

tars, i just wanna say that i love the effort you put into the OPs for every greenlit thread

Thanks, everyone, it is a pleasure to write them each year! This year is about 10-20% the partial one I wrote from last year rewritten, sadly some of the things were still true or even worse!

Hopefully everything gets geared back up enough we get back to the amount of trailers we usually have

Nightmare Cinema posted:

All I ask is he pens a treatment for The Schwartz Awakens/The Quest For More Money before he croaks.

Anything to erase the cartoon series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder if we're going to get any more finished movie delays or if everyone is just going to take the lesson from Spider-Man that audiences no longer care.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I do wonder if we're going to get any more finished movie delays or if everyone is just going to take the lesson from Spider-Man that audiences no longer care.
Well it is possible that Armie Hammer gets caught eating someone next week.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spidey was poised to do pretty well considering the build up and speculation. That it came out holidaytime when we all lowered the guard was just great timing.

I'm not sure a lot of other films would see such momentum. Like I doubt anyone is clamoring to see the Black Adam film that badly.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am not excited at the Rock bringing his brand to Black Adam.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah Spider Man seems like a unique mix of big brand, big idea, people disappointed by the last couple of MCU films, everyone being real dumb/frustrated with covid. Does like Matrix have anything similar?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah Spider Man seems like a unique mix of big brand, big idea, people disappointed by the last couple of MCU films, everyone being real dumb/frustrated with covid. Does like Matrix have anything similar?

It's good, it has some fun, good concepts and a meta thing going on and I'd like to suggest go over to the Matrix thread but...welp...it's very mixed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
For the most the reaction I’ve seen is mostly negative but I don’t think your regular movie goer cares about the meta poo poo and the action kind of sucks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I think the parts just came together for Spider Man to be a big event. I don't think that's gonna be any easier to replicate in the immediate future. You need the hype, the brand, the buzz... and to be good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CharlestheHammer posted:

For the most the reaction I’ve seen is mostly negative but I don’t think your regular movie goer cares about the meta poo poo and the action kind of sucks
It's not really helping that the Matrix IP had been dead for like a decade

It premiered in theaters at the same time as on HBO Max, but Matrix 4 is currently at only $30 million domestic, $100 mil international which is real bad

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well yeah the only people that really wanted another matrix movie were a few execs at Warner's.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s honestly more closer to the space jam cinematic universe and if you think about it that way you might get a little more enjoyment

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Gatts posted:

It's good, it has some fun, good concepts and a meta thing going on and I'd like to suggest go over to the Matrix thread but...welp...it's very mixed.

I liked it but it is very divisive and doesn't deliver transformative action spectacles like the original. It looks better than a lot of the grey cgi garbage in modern cinematography, but it is just too weird for the general public. I like weird, but film discourse now is about being spoon fed everything.

Oddly it would make a good double feature with Battlefield Earth.

Gatts posted:

I am not excited at the Rock bringing his brand to Black Adam.

I thought the teaser looked boring as we've seen that a few times before, more excited for Shazam 2 and I have no idea what the plot of it even is

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 3, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1476994474999910406?s=20

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Armie Hammer was busy, he was having friends for dinner.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Don't make jokes about eating humans, that's tasteless.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Grendels Dad posted:

Don't make jokes about eating humans, that's tasteless.

His post was fine, he was just hamming it up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spider-Man's success seems to be more about how there are certain conditions that make audiences no longer care. It's a huge blockbuster with a lot of hype around it, positive word of mouth and it's not streaming while it's in theaters. I feel confident that most massive blockbusters aren't gonna get delayed but a lot of mid-sized movies might; pre-pandemic it'd be unthinkable for a new Spielberg movie to be a big flop, for starters.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was looking at a list of 2021 flops and I didn't even know that the girl boss baby was released this year (and was a spy flick, likely to cash in on James bond if it released in late 2020 as scheduled)

West side Story making less than 20% of its budget, drat

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly thought Matrix 4 came out months ago, and that the new Top Gun came out last year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel bad for Guillermo del Toro, Nightmare Alley being released the same day as Spider-man was the kiss of death for that film. Not that it'd do big numbers right now anyways but it definitely didn't help!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nightmare Alley and West Side Story also had the whiff of Fox projects that Disney inherited, couldn't stop because they were too far along/had too big a name attached, so just allowed to get dumped. I guess I did see a bit of advertising for West Side Story, but the only things I've seen promoting Nightmare Alley are posters on the subway and the joke review of it on On Cinema.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Nightmare Alley and West Side Story also had the whiff of Fox projects that Disney inherited, couldn't stop because they were too far along/had too big a name attached, so just allowed to get dumped. I guess I did see a bit of advertising for West Side Story, but the only things I've seen promoting Nightmare Alley are posters on the subway and the joke review of it on On Cinema.

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if that was their attitude about it. The Last Duel was another Fox project that felt like they wanted to just toss in the dumpster. poo poo sucks!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Srice posted:

Spider-Man's success seems to be more about how there are certain conditions that make audiences no longer care. It's a huge blockbuster with a lot of hype around it, positive word of mouth and it's not streaming while it's in theaters. I feel confident that most massive blockbusters aren't gonna get delayed but a lot of mid-sized movies might; pre-pandemic it'd be unthinkable for a new Spielberg movie to be a big flop, for starters.

Which do we think Top Gun falls under in this scenario? Seeing Tom Cruise in the role is a... likely draw, but do you think his team wants to roll those dice?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

Which do we think Top Gun falls under in this scenario? Seeing Tom Cruise in the role is a... likely draw, but do you think his team wants to roll those dice?

It's pretty hard to say. I feel like it could turn a profit right now but on the other hand it has been delayed so much even before the pandemic so why not delay it another year so they can get the most bang for their buck?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of movies that may or may not have come out...Wasn't there a movie called, very roughly, Bert and Star go to a Hotel? In the pre-COVID times the preview was shown before almost every movie and had the gimmick of not showing the two lead's faces. Was it shown in theaters or shoved onto streaming? Or was it some fever dream?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar, came out on VOD last year and was actually funny as hell.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He said “Cmon Taika, have a heart!”

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Srice posted:

I feel bad for Guillermo del Toro, Nightmare Alley being released the same day as Spider-man was the kiss of death for that film. Not that it'd do big numbers right now anyways but it definitely didn't help!

I only even knew Nightmare Alley came out because of this thread so I agree.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Last Duel and Nightmare Alley were two of my most anticipated movies of the year. Neither ended up being marketed very well so they didn’t do well financially.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no marketing in the world is going to make the subject matter of The Last Duel palatable for audiences today. I'm not even doing a woke culture thing ala ridley scott. That's been box office poison since the late 90s

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just want the occasional medieval period piece without some dumb fantasy hook. Is that so much to ask?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*monkey's paw*

"A Knight's Tale 2 with cameo by CG Heath Ledger as The Jester"

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I just want the occasional medieval period piece without some dumb fantasy hook. Is that so much to ask?

"So, not like Lord of the Rings? And you want ten million dollars for costumes and props."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DarkSol posted:

Is the second part of Dune supposed to be out in 2022?

Oct 2023 is the target date but iirc Villeneuve just started working on the script late 2021 and nothing else has even started yet so the date definitely seems optimistic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ngl Dune pt 1 ends in such a weird place

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

First watch of DUNC for me and probably a lot other people who are familiar with the source material was probably weird because you’re not sure where exactly they’re going to end it. I made a point of not looking at my watch so I had no clue where we were in the movie.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I honestly had no idea West Side Story already came out until just now. Oof.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

ngl Dune pt 1 ends in such a weird place

It ends exactly where you'd expect tho. Well, I actually thought it would end with Jamis funeral and him taking the guy's wife, because that's where I thought Paul "gives water to the dead", but I guess I misremembered and that happens right after the fight. It's the complete severing of his old way of life and becoming the desert Messiah/Mega-Hitler worm guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Vanilla Bison posted:

"So, not like Lord of the Rings? And you want ten million dollars for costumes and props."

Not to mention shooting on location in loving France.