Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Isn’t this, like that 2009 interview, basically a ploy for him to retain the Dick Tracey movie rights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

habituallyred posted:

Is Dick Tracy a good movie? No.

Is it worth watching just for the gorgeous matte backgrounds and total commitment to the comic book look. Yes

My personal ranking of the 90s Pulp Revival movies:

Darkman
Rocketeer
The Shadow
Dick Tracy
The Phantom

Honestly you could swap the last three around in any order and I’d still be fine with it. I don’t know what it is precisely about this niche little subgenre, but I’ve had a real soft spot for them since I was a kid. All flawed movies, but all still pretty fun and usually with great production design.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn’t this, like that 2009 interview, basically a ploy for him to retain the Dick Tracey movie rights?

Like it mentions in the article?

Yeah

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Why do people think Dick Tracy is bad??

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Leave posted:

Like it mentions in the article?

Yeah

Listen, you can’t expect me to be fully literate when I’m pushing out a log.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does he think he can be buried with them? When my grandpa was 85, he didn’t buy green bananas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
No one will recognize Madonna

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Just like the movie!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If newspaper Dick Tracy is still around and still has the same artist then Beatty might be old enough to finally do those horribly stilted poses justice.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DarkSol posted:

Why do people think Dick Tracy is bad??
It's got an incredible cast, it 100% commits to its aesthetic (so many matte paintings!), and Pacino has a great time devouring the scenery... but the story is just a bleah nothingburger. And ironically Beatty himself is the weak link, because Tracy is a non-character in his own movie*. It's one of those films that I want to like a lot more than I actually do.

*Having now read a fair chunk of the newspaper strips over in BSS, I've seen that's largely true of the comic Tracy as well, but for a movie you should give him something more than "fearless, incorruptible and also the only handsome man in the whole film for some mysterious reason".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When I was a kid I had a book that collected all of the major storylines from the original Dick Tracy run. They’re a lot like MCU movies in that there are all these elaborate heists and mysteries to solve and crazy technology being used, but it still ends with Dick Tracy having a fistfight with say Little Face Finney.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Darkman
Rocketeer
The Shadow
Dick Tracy
The Phantom

Honestly you could swap the last three around in any order and I’d still be fine with it. I don’t know what it is precisely about this niche little subgenre, but I’ve had a real soft spot for them since I was a kid. All flawed movies, but all still pretty fun and usually with great production design.

How does the Mask of Zorro stack up? I feel like that falls into the category of "90s movie adapting a pulp property"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Batman '89 should probably be on that list as well, even if it has the stink of a successful franchise about it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Batman '89 should probably be on that list as well, even if it has the stink of a successful franchise about it.

If anything Batman '89 was the impetus for the 90s pulp boom. Studios really really wanted to ride its coattails, and for some reason they didn't quite hit on the "superheroes" angle so much as the "30s adventure fiction" angle. Not to say there wasn't also a corresponding superhero boom, but it was mostly more moody indie stuff like Spawn or the Crow or weird comics like Tank Girl or the Mask.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

How does the Mask of Zorro stack up? I feel like that falls into the category of "90s movie adapting a pulp property"

Anthony Hopkins as a Spaniard is one of those weird Hollywood decisions that wouldn’t fly today but Antonio Banderas is charismatic as hell and Catherine Zeta-Jones is on fire so the movie rides on their chemistry. I enjoy putting it on in the background sometimes because it’s a very fun movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Catherine Zeta-Jones as a Spaniard really shouldn't fly either, and yet

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I can’t explain that one

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Yeah I can’t explain that one

Well it sorta makes sense, given that she's really the daughter of noted non-Spaniard Anthony Hopkins. It's just consistent casting, really

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

Well it sorta makes sense, given that she's really the daughter of noted non-Spaniard Anthony Hopkins. It's just consistent casting, really

Excuse me, I believe he's Egyptian.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope he ends up doing a ten episode limited series that is just him being interviewed by random people

Unrelated, but is the Grammer and formatting finished for the new OP/ and or thread?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Driftingmouse posted:

Unrelated, but is the Grammer and formatting finished for the new OP/ and or thread?
Are you loving serious

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can only assume this is some kind of fetish at this point

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mierenneuker posted:

If newspaper Dick Tracy is still around and still has the same artist then Beatty might be old enough to finally do those horribly stilted poses justice.

The strip is still around, the later writers have embraced all the wacky space stuff from decades ago and Little Orphan Annie was a major character for a while

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Driftingmouse posted:

Kelsey wasn't available, check back next week

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wanna bet on the next poster to get a probe? Money Thread!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every post from now on must include the terms "tossed salad" and "scrambled eggs" or they get a sixer every time.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh man, they do it here too? I remember them being inexplicably pushy about getting a new animation thread and this was their best effort

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Blessed be, it's good to be here in the Who Grammerlighted 20xx thread. Tossed Salad, Scrambled Eggs

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Darkman
Rocketeer
The Shadow
Dick Tracy
The Phantom

I'm pretty sure I own all these movies, and I've seen the Shadow (loved it as a kid. Haven't seen it since) and I just saw Darkman last year and it was delightful. Liam Neason is so much fun in that movie. Still need to watch Tracy, Phantom and Rocketeer

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

davidspackage posted:

Kelsey wasn't available, check back next week

Nobody gets away from the Gram Man!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pigbuster posted:

Oh man, they do it here too? I remember them being inexplicably pushy about getting a new animation thread and this was their best effort

See also the "excellent" Oscars thread. Definitely convinced it's a bit now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hakkesshu posted:

Why though? She plays the daughter of a European immigrant, not someone of native descent.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Driftingmouse posted:

I've only ever seen you post about new ops and dead actors

get help.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kalel posted:

I've only ever seen you post about new ops and dead actors

get help.

Sadly , Kelsey Grammer is still alive

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve had some really dumb ideas for posting gimmicks over the years but drat if harassing people to make a new op for a thread isn’t dumber than any of them

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remember when McDonalds thought Dick Tracy was going to be so successful they spend millions on a tie-in marketing campaign? It's one of the reasons they lost out a lot to Burger King in the 90s.

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve had some really dumb ideas for posting gimmicks over the years but drat if harassing people to make a new op for a thread isn’t dumber than any of them

Can't argue with originality, I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Anthony Hopkins as a Spaniard is one of those weird Hollywood decisions that wouldn’t fly today but Antonio Banderas is charismatic as hell and Catherine Zeta-Jones is on fire so the movie rides on their chemistry. I enjoy putting it on in the background sometimes because it’s a very fun movie.

Antonio Banderas just seems like practically cheat codes for casting Zorro.

Also explains Puss in Boots, given he's basically fuzzy fairy tale Zorror.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Driftingmouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwf-lRjD9IU&t=17s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars you have a fan of your writing which is more than anyone else here can say

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I have to admit, if they do get RDJ, it'll be an amazing bit of meta-casting...
https://twitter.com/JohnDiLillo/status/1623888833258393602?t=V_LOcTiMlUng5LZsIJfDnw&s=19
Also, its pretty wild on how quickly Hollywood has turned on Musk.

I couldn't get thru five minutes of Fast Nine or whatever bc how much every scene was about how amazing Dom was

its so loving retro in the worst way (by not being accurately retro, the 80s action he man craze always went out of its way to deconstruct or at least humanize their heroes, i.e. Rambo being mentally damaged, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Darkman
Rocketeer
The Shadow
Dick Tracy
The Phantom

Haven't seen Darkman but The Shadow holds up (ten years ago lol)