Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like a nice vacation, if you can get away with it. Can you blame 'em?

I also want more fantasy trash. Anything that doesn't involve world-ending stakes or giant army battles. Just give me movies or shows about some idiots bumbling around on small-scale episodic adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like a nice vacation, if you can get away with it. Can you blame 'em?

I also want more fantasy trash. Anything that doesn't involve world-ending stakes or giant army battles. Just give me movies or shows about some idiots bumbling around on small-scale episodic adventures.

I was just having this conversation about why I liked the Witcher series so much. Like yeah it had a big battle but it wasn't like a world ending billion people stakes level thing. Like I wish we could get more pulp fantasy stuff like Conquest or Conan the Barbarian or whatever where the stakes are superficially really high but the focus of the story is more about just two or three people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Hobbit but no dragon or 5 armies

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Three hour movies of Hobbits doing hobbit things in the Shire, like solving the case of the missing pies. New one every two years. Boom, a license to print money.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the scouring of the shire

but it's Allo Allo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The scouring of the shire for mushrooms. A hobbit-themed Tampopo.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Stoner comedy in the Shire where it's just trying to score some Old Tobey off of Gandalf

Merry and Pipin's Up in Smoke

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dude where's my Pony?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mr. Frodo, we have to put on a talent show to raise money, or the Prancing Pony will be taken over by the Sackville-Baggins!

Sam, get my top hat and cane!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sam! Somebody right clicked my Ape!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It was frodo who right clicked gollum 's ring and then ghosted him

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MordorTrip

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Some Amazon exec is lurking this thread, furiously scribbling notes

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure movie industry people lurk Reddit for their cheap ideas. The Japanese Suicide Forest and the Green Book were both items that constantly showed up as topics. Next thing you know they’re being made into movies. Those are just the two that come to mind right off the bat. I know there’s more examples.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

there was a killer miner forty niner

and he was looking for

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

BREAKING NEWS!!! Morbius has been moved to April 1st! This is not an April Fool's Joke, though the movie is one now, zing!

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1478160548567023617

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Can you call it a spin off if he hasn’t appeared?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I want a Warhammer movie. Thanks to the Total War Games, we finally have a clear idea of how to make it not look stupid in motion and the world is big enough that you can tell big world ending stories or just little self contained ones. A Dark Elf trying to put together a raiding expedition or a village trying to survive a Beastman attack. (maybe with the help of seven professional warriors or something) Wargaming and role playing universes are, by nature, designed to allow players to tell whatever story at whatever scale they want. And it's simultaneously the fate of the world at stake and also it doesn't make any large scale difference.

It's weird that there haven't been any Warhammer or 40k media properties, come to think of it. In this age, when everything is getting adapted, not a single film or series bar that dogshit CGI Ultramarines movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

BREAKING NEWS!!! Morbius has been moved to April 1st! This is not an April Fool's Joke, though the movie is one now, zing!

Morbius, more like Mobius cause the release date will never come.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is what, the fourth delay? Fifth?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

With Dracula in the public domain can't the mcu just have him instead of this weird dude as their key vampire

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Casimir Radon posted:

The Last Duel and Nightmare Alley were two of my most anticipated movies of the year. Neither ended up being marketed very well so they didn’t do well financially.

I think it has more to do with people over 35 being done with movie theaters than anything else due to covid. Seriously, the only adult drama that did somewhat decent numbers at the BO this year was House of Gucci. That demographic is all about the streaming wars whereas movie theaters will only exist for the younglings obsessed with big established IPs like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc.

Tars Tarkas posted:

this looks like absolute poo poo, like it was filmed in 2002 and shelved indefinitely due to horrendous test screenings

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jared Leto doesn’t like things that old.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gresh posted:

this looks like absolute poo poo, like it was filmed in 2002 and shelved indefinitely due to horrendous test screenings

The New Mutants of the MCU*.

*The trailer also mentions Venom so I dunno what continuity it's in.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That's gotta hurt though. The best chance it had to really hit it big was probably riding Spider-Man's coattails. I assume that every screening had the Morbius trailer in front of it. Mine did at least. The movie looks aggressively bad in the trailers though and I'm really not sure why they're trying to make him an anti-hero. That whole "hero...or villain" moment in the trailer was embarrassing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

It's weird that there haven't been any Warhammer or 40k media properties, come to think of it. In this age, when everything is getting adapted, not a single film or series bar that dogshit CGI Ultramarines movie.

Gamesworkshop has launched their own streaming service (stupid) and is creating their own media for 40k and Fantasy (kind of dumb, but not the worst). I personally think they should have just landed a partnership with like Amazon or Netflix or Hulu like RIOT did, but I guess they want the big bucks. Their service has a bunch of non-media property like battle reports and stuff about the miniature game so I guess thats how they are justifying it but right now the value isnt really there.

There are 2 40k animated shows and 1 is decent though janky and the other barely qualifies as animation at times.

Now to your actual point, they are apparently developing a live action Inquisitor Eisenhorn TV series. Henry Cavill has been pretty out spoken about wanting to do something in the space so they should probably allow him to produce a movie and let him go nuts.

On the Tv side there is an episode of The Mandalorian from Season 2 that I think is a great stealth prototype for a Warhammer 40k TV show. Chapter 13: The Jedi has an ashen forest world with some rebreather equipped troopers shooting blasters and they basically look like 40k guardsmen/traitor guard types. The VOLUME could be a huge asset to filming a 40k show, and I think the aesthetic could really work for a guard or inquisitor type show. Check it out and see if you agree there, its all I could think of watching it.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 4, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is what, the fourth delay? Fifth?

It was:
Original date: July 10th, 2020
First move: July 31st, 2020
COVID delay one: March 19, 2021
COVID delay two: October 8th, 2021
COVID delay three: January 21st, 2022
Delay four (not sure of the reason for this one): January 28th, 2022
COVID delay five: April 1st, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That's gotta hurt though. The best chance it had to really hit it big was probably riding Spider-Man's coattails. I assume that every screening had the Morbius trailer in front of it. Mine did at least. The movie looks aggressively bad in the trailers though and I'm really not sure why they're trying to make him an anti-hero. That whole "hero...or villain" moment in the trailer was embarrassing.

The only way the Morbius movie would be good if it was rated R and like halfway through it Blade just rolls up out of nowhere and full on squib/gore/intestine prosthetics cuts Jared Leto in half vertically like in Ichi the Killer or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GrandpaPants posted:

The New Mutants of the MCU*.

*The trailer also mentions Venom so I dunno what continuity it's in.

I'm confused as poo poo on that too. Like you said, the trailer directly references events from Venom, someone posted a screen cap above indicating Spider-man is a thing on that Earth (but we know Spidey isn't a thing yet on Tom Hardy's Earth). Michael Keaton is also in it as Toomes I assume.

edit: Just fuckin dump it on VOD and make some money instead of no money which is what they're gonna get.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think at least 1 person at Sony is delusional and thinks that it will make Venom money and keeps moving it accordingly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they hadn't blinked they probably could have gotten it out in October and made a chunk of change off it but by this point nobody is gonna care.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe Christmas. October was full of big releases.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“Morbius will not return”

Oh thank god

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jerkface posted:

Now to your actual point, they are apparently developing a live action Inquisitor Eisenhorn TV series.

I mean if the whole thing is mostly making fun of how stupid and garbage the Inquisition is, with quite a bit of humour in it, it could be good. If it's just tuff man makes tuff choices crap than it's about the worst route they could go. Not the worst, but you know close. Any 40k which isn't mostly over the top satire/comedy is likely to be pretty dreadful.

Jerkface posted:

Henry Cavill has been pretty out spoken about wanting to do something in the space so they should probably allow him to produce a movie and let him go nuts.

This is also a way you could make a decent 40k film or show, yes.

From everything I've read about games workshop it seems like they love making the most stupid decision about pretty much everything, so not expecting much.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

dr_rat posted:

I mean if the whole thing is mostly making fun of how stupid and garbage the Inquisition is, with quite a bit of humour in it, it could be good. If it's just tuff man makes tuff choices crap than it's about the worst route they could go. Not the worst, but you know close. Any 40k which isn't mostly over the top satire/comedy is likely to be pretty dreadful.

They should have just hired the "If the Emperor Had a Text-to-Speech Device" guy instead of C&D'ing him

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

They should have just hired the "If the Emperor Had a Text-to-Speech Device" guy instead of C&D'ing him

Yeah seriously, that's some of the best stuff to come out of Warhammer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sony has been making their own separate universe to play in with Marvel properties they have the rights to. So the two Venoms will be in the same universe as Morbius and the in development Kraven movie.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well yeah the only people that really wanted another matrix movie were a few execs at Warner's.

It was a hosed situation.

I saw Resurrections two days ago. The best way I could describe it is an anti-Matrix Matrix movie, as in it does everything in its power to not be anything like the other ones by being A). Self-referential, meta, and existing only to deconstruct itself B). Having close to zero action choreography (which is then "absolved" by Neo ending every fight with an air blast) and C). An internal Self vs. Self conflict rather than any kind of threat against humanity (in fact everything is fairly Utopian in Zion/Ios).

As an actual stand-alone movie, it doesn't work. As a spite project against corporate sequel culture and Warner Brothers because they forced Lana's hand, it's a delight. As an epilogue, it's fine. I don't feel like I wasted my time with it so I'd say watch it if you're curious, but I wouldn't actively say to anyone "You gotta watch this!"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm confused as poo poo on that too. Like you said, the trailer directly references events from Venom, someone posted a screen cap above indicating Spider-man is a thing on that Earth (but we know Spidey isn't a thing yet on Tom Hardy's Earth). Michael Keaton is also in it as Toomes I assume.

Spider-Man: No Way Home spoilers They could easily dump Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man into the Venomverse, or just do what DC is doing with multiple Batmen at once and just make another Spider-Man (though Marvel might get mad at that and disable the golden goose)

FlamingLiberal posted:

... the in development Kraven movie.

lol forgot about that one, is that one of the ones they are trying to get Keanu to do? There was also the Silk and Silver Sable movies but I think they are dead for now. Shocked there isn't a Spider-Gwen live action beyond the animated spinoff

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They could also just say continuity is stupid and reference spider man and venom for cross promotion, and then if this movie is huge (it won't be) they can try to leverage money outta Disney to put Leto in Avengers 26.5 or whatever.