Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Life is not a competition. I only compete against myself, trying to become better, smarter, and stronger each day. I don't give a gently caress what any of you think.

You can take my advice or leave it. Makes no difference to me, except that I fuckin' hate liars, bullies, and cheaters, and want there to be less of them in this world.

LOL!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

I'm Crap posted:

whoa bro. you sound hell of cool, real tough, not mad, super calm and like a real erudite smart motehfucker right now, not at all like the most tedious aggy bro in the room. LESSON NO 1. EVERYONE I DON'T LIKE IS A SHITLICKER. WHAT IF LIKE, THE COLOR BLUE YOU SEE IS LIKE DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE I SEE MAN. I'M THE FIRST PERSON TO THINK ANY OF THIS

You are to philosophy what this guy is to fine cuisine:

The thing that really gets me about this recipe is it takes hours to cook. Something called 2am chilli should be easy enough to cook and eat within a hour so you can get back to bed before 3am. It's more like 2pm chilli that you eat for supper than anything.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
:munch:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Chilli is just proto-diarrhea.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I fuckin' love when stupid motherfuckers wander in and try to school me with how fuckin' smart they are. If you're so smart, why do you care what I think?

LOL!!!!!!!

I don't care what anybody thinks about me, but if you have something to teach, I'll listen.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

The thing that really gets me about this recipe is it takes hours to cook. Something called 2am chilli should be easy enough to cook and eat within a hour so you can get back to bed before 3am. It's more like 2pm chilli that you eat for supper than anything.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

might try some of your crazy ideas like "watch out for bad people" and "travel and read books"

have never thought of those before, thanks op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I never asked for money, BBC.

That's how you know I'm honest.

*sighs*
*unbuckles pants*
Alright FINE Sol Invictus

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

might try some of your crazy ideas like "watch out for bad people" and "travel and read books"

have never thought of those before, thanks op

You have to start somewhere, fuckface. Have fun!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

*sighs*
*unbuckles pants*
Alright FINE Sol Invictus

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I can't get over how much this kid looks like a muppet, it's crazy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When do you transition into thwarting idiots? The thread title promises instructions for thwarting, but so far, it's just been some observations you use to guide yourself. Where's the thwarting? Hell, I'm still posting!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

When do you transition into thwarting idiots? The thread title promises instructions for thwarting, but so far, it's just been some observations you use to guide yourself. Where's the thwarting? Hell, I'm still posting!

Sounds like you've been thwarted so the thread delivers lamo got em!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

"Life is but a dream full of starts of folly, and of fancied, and true miseries. Death awakes us from this painful dream, and gives us, either a better existence or no existence at all."

--Voltaire

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Sounds like you've been thwarted so the thread delivers lamo got em!!!

What does thwart mean

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

You should pay attention, junior.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You should pay attention, junior.

no realiously, what thwart mean, was born too many brain so took out bunch now think i have like .2 bran

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

What does thwart mean

It means I'm gonna spunk your gash, daddy-o.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

It means I'm gonna spunk your gash, daddy-o.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I fuckin' love when stupid motherfuckers wander in and try to school me with how fuckin' smart they are. If you're so smart, why do you care what I think?

LOL!!!!!!!

I don't care what anybody thinks about me, but if you have something to teach, I'll listen.
I care what you think, op

you're in my peer group and we frequent this same online space, for, remote asynchronous socialization, and the exchange of ideas. yes, yes.

I don't know if I have much to teach. I'm not too bright, merely curious and sometimes thoughtful, but it seems to me that peer feedback is an important mechanism both for individual self-assessment and collective self-definition
not much that happens on the forums is of material consequence, of course, but as social animals occupying the same online ecosystem, I think it's only natural and makes sense to care about what each other is doing, because we want these forums that we read and post on to be a place that we enjoy visiting

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find the life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry,
feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

what do you think of this book quote OP

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Back in the old days, there was a user on Fark.com named "Hang on, Voltaire" because the user himself was some deeply insecure christian who built his identity on debunking everything Voltaire said.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
hell yeah to well filled pigeon holes

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

Back in the old days, there was a user on Fark.com named "Hang on, Voltaire" because the user himself was some deeply insecure christian who built his identity on debunking everything Voltaire said.

One of my favorite things about the internet is an ongoing lovely meme exchange between calvinists and open theists

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Cubone posted:

I care what you think, op

you're in my peer group and we frequent this same online space, for, remote asynchronous socialization, and the exchange of ideas. yes, yes.

I don't know if I have much to teach. I'm not too bright, merely curious and sometimes thoughtful, but it seems to me that peer feedback is an important mechanism both for individual self-assessment and collective self-definition
not much that happens on the forums is of material consequence, of course, but as social animals occupying the same online ecosystem, I think it's only natural and makes sense to care about what each other is doing, because we want these forums that we read and post on to be a place that we enjoy visiting

I read what other people have to say, extract the wheat, and toss away the chaff.

Together we are are stronger and smarter than any of us alone.

I don't like it when lovely cocksuckers piss all over everything just because they're angry and broken. They're a bunch of drama queens and attention whores seeking approval from people who don't give a gently caress about them, and that's just fuckin' pathetic.

LOL!!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

what do you think of this book quote OP

Why do you care what I think?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Why do you care what I think?

To demonstrate that I've learned something from you, I'll tell you not to answer my question with a question.

Also, you said in your first post:

quote:

If you want to learn what I know, I will teach you. If not, I don't give a gently caress. It's up to you. Freedom of choice, motherfuckers!
So I don't see why I care what you think is relevant.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

hell yeah to well filled pigeon holes

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

To demonstrate that I've learned something from you, I'll tell you not to answer my question with a question.

Also, you said in your first post:

So I don't see why I care what you think is relevant.

Alright then.

I think that human minds shouldn't be divided up into different sections. I am a firm believer in interconnectivity between all subjects. Categories are helpful in some situations, but the rigidity of artificial systems goes against Nature.

Like a reed, I bend in the wind.

Also, you shouldn't care what I think. But you might learn something if you aren't careful.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Gutter Phoenix posted:

not very nice, I am no longer going to take your ideas on board, good day

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

not very nice, I am no longer going to take your ideas on board, good day

Your loss.

LOL!!!!!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Has anyone coined the term "Anarcho-Fascism" yet? I want to use it for people who claim to have embraced chaos but still discriminate against people who aren't straight men with light skin, kind of like the chaos space marines from Warhammer 40k.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Alright then.

I think that human minds shouldn't be divided up into different sections. I am a firm believer in interconnectivity between all subjects. Categories are helpful in some situations, but the rigidity of artificial systems goes against Nature.

Like a reed, I bend in the wind.

I don't think the quote is meant to be about compartmentalization, but rather the willingness to hear someone out, and to at least give their ideas the opportunity to give purchase. I think you more directly answered it already with "I read what other people have to say, extract the wheat, and toss away the chaff." That's my take on it, anyway.

The book it's from by the way is Pensées of Joubert, which is a collection of notes written by essayist Joseph Joubert, translated and published posthumously. It's a short read, and you can find it for free at this archive link. I think you'll get a kick out of it, especially as a "wheat from the chaff" kind of person. He was from the late 1700s if I recall correctly, so it has a lot of poo poo from the time that I think is gross, but it is sometimes a nice collection of simple aphorisms that I tend to agree with, such as

quote:

The wish to be independent of all men, and not to be under obligations to any one, is the sure sign of a soul without tenderness.

We only become correct by correcting.

One should be a pebble in the torrent, keep one's veining, and roll with the stream -- without being either solvent or dissolved.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.

Anyways, take that as you will

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Also, you shouldn't care what I think. But you might learn something if you aren't careful.

I should care what you think, just as I should care what anyone thinks, because everyone knows something, and no one knows everything. To deny any possibility of learning from someone, even if it's as something to confirm as false, is to deny any room for further knowledge, and that would be equivalent to thinking my knowledge is perfect. I don't think I'll ever be ready for that.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 2, 2022

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We already have libertarian, which embraces a wide range of rationalizations for personal advantage

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Xlorp posted:

We already have libertarian, which embraces a wide range of rationalizations for personal advantage

I think "Anarcho-Fascism" has more bite and is a more accurate descriptor of what they really want.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I don't think the quote is meant to be about compartmentalization, but rather the willingness to hear someone out, and to at least give their ideas the opportunity to give purchase. I think you more directly answered it already with "I read what other people have to say, extract the wheat, and toss away the chaff." That's my take on it, anyway.

The book it's from by the way is Pensées of Joubert, which is a collection of notes written by essayist Joseph Joubert, translated and published posthumously. It's a short read, and you can find it for free at this archive link. I think you'll get a kick out of it, especially as a "wheat from the chaff" kind of person. He was from the late 1700s if I recall correctly, so it has a lot of poo poo from the time that I think is gross, but it is sometimes a nice collection of simple aphorisms that I tend to agree with, such as

Anyways, take that as you will

I appreciate the contribution, my friend.

This is a place where we can learn together, and LOL, and have fun.

If people want to barge in here and call me stupid, I welcome that too, because they're punching above their weight class, and have no idea who the gently caress they're dealing with. LOL!!!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

2 questions for the poo poo-talkers:

Are you happy?

Do you feel that your life has meaning and purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Are you happy?
Yes :cool:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Do you feel that your life has meaning and purpose?
No :cool: